Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    To be fair it was in pretty hard times, though Epic didn't have to be so douchey about it. Yes, Valve saw the future and the way to "save it" and for that I am eternally grateful. They deserve the success they have gotten as a reward. Doesn't mean I want to put all my eggs in their basket, but I salute them for their service.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My suggestion for Epic was that they should have done exactly what they're currently doing, except that they should also have committed to giving buyers free Steam keys for their games after the exclusivity period ends.

But people didn't seem to think much of that idea - maybe because it would have actually worked and been popular with normies while still keeping the exclusivity concept. :M

• not sure if serious x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/0...hing-partnerships-with-studios-behind-control

Next Playdead game to be EGS exclusive?

Major decline.

• meh x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    There ya go, they're going to fund and publish the games themselves, making the exclusivity justified and okay according to what you've all been saying. The crisis is over! :smug:

• incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Well...yeah?

Valve has every right to do what they want with their games, much like EA had their own games being exclusive on their client with far less people caring, Epic just has a way of annoying some people more than any other service, but yeah, if Epic pays for everything, they have every right to do what they want with their own games, much like any other other developer, i don't think this was an issue?

Anyways, some decent catches by Epic, Limbo gets that developer some indie cred, Control is a cult hit and getting the guy behind Shadow Of The Colossus is amazing, sure, the guy isn't exactly making best sellers but he has fans and prestige, wonder who else Epic will get?

^ Top  
  6. MuscleSpark Augur Patron

MuscleSpark
    Correct.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    We were saying this from the start, no?

^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yes, I wasn't being sarcastic. The smug emoji is just like a "they went and did it" thing, not a sarcasm signal. I don't personally see a major difference between funding an exclusive and buying one, from a consumer perspective, but it's a good change in strategy that should hopefully calm down people who were morally opposed rather than just Steam enthusiasts.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There is a difference when a said exclusive is a kickstarted game that was kickstarted with promised Steam release.

Only that those people now had to wait for a year before playing their game.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yes, that was complete bullshit and I said so at the time. I mean in a general sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.pcgamer.com/is-epics-publishing-deal-good/

• decline x 2
    • No x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    hmmm. a company funded by epic doing articles on them...
    wonder if it's worth reading...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I'm sick of seeing that fucking twat Rami Ismail's twatter posts everywhere.

• Yes Yes x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i swear this is what i read:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Multi-headed Cow Cipher

Multi-headed Cow
    [​IMG]

Though the numbers themselves seem a little suspect, but it depends on the type if games people are making and their expected sales I suppose. Epic covers your development costs, marketing, etc (Note: it says UP TO 100%, so they may not even cover all of it) but that just eats into your revenue, since you get jack shit until Epic's gotten their money back from covering development. Once you've sold enough for Epic to cover that, you get 50% of the profit on each sale, so that's presumably after any cuts from storefronts and everything. So if you're making a small game it's a safer bet, since if your 2D platforming roguelike about being a gay teenager in the 80's doesn't sell well you're not out of pocket on money, just time. But if you make something that sells like gangbusters then you'll sorely wish you made it out of pocket so you were just losing 30% on Gaben's store rather than 30% cut from store and then 50% cut from Epic on the remainder. As far as publishing deals go though it sounds good. Takes a lot of risk off the developer. And keeping all the rights to everything is big of course.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. passerby Liturgist

passerby
    You are not out of time, you've got paid for your job.

If something sells like gangbusters, then 50% is plenty, so no sane personr wish for that. Usually people won't find an investor that will give all the money for 50% profit cut though, but are so passionate about their bussiness/product idea, that against better judgement put on the line a 10 years worth of work and savings from minimalistic lifestyle, get zeroed out and suicide. The only issue to consider is whether something can sell great on Epic store, this is the only questionable part.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ^ Top  
  17. Multi-headed Cow Cipher

Multi-headed Cow
    True, but that's why I said you're not out of pocket on money. For small developers you aren't eating ramen and stealing ketchup packets from fast food joints to develop your game even if it ends up flopping. And for larger more mid-tier developers like Remedy it keeps the lights on even if a game flops and the only real lasting damage is to their reputation if they release a stinker. I was mainly talking about small/solo developers in that example though, and my gut tells me that someone cranking out an indie game that looks appealing enough for Epic to agree to publish it probably is going to spend more time/effort on it than if they just got a regular 9 to 5 job, so whatever Epic determines is an acceptable salary for X years of development is probably still harder work than doing something else, which is what I was getting at. And also why I still said it sounds like a good deal.

No sane person would wish for that? That sounds downright un-American. I got my eye on you. And don't forget that 50% is AFTER Epic's taken a full reimbursement for the development/marketing/etc costs. Still not saying it's a bad deal by any means, but if your game does end up selling well then you have to wait for all your gravy train money to get paid off first, then they start milking you for half the profits. The big thing is it removes almost all risk from the developer's side, which is great, but if indie devs are bitching about the oppressive yoke of 30% of Steam sales going to Valve then in the event they make a successful game with this they'll be losing that 30% (Provided the contract allows them to sell on Steam) and then 50% of the remainder after all development costs are paid back to Epic.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I think it says a lot about the industry that it's supposedly a sweetheart deal compared to most.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Publisher takes all the risk. Devs don't finish, they lose their investment. Game doesn't do well, good chance they won't even recoup their investments, etc.,
    Just look at this list, it's basically a graveyard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_publishers
    The video game industry may be extremely large, but the massive majority of profits are made from a tiny minority of games -- Fortnite alone made up more than 2% of all video game revenue in 2018.

Also, if it involves publishing the games to consoles there's a lot of bullshit involved(less so now, but still a lot.) There's a reason Gabe criticized Sony so heavily.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. J1M Arcane

J1M
    The average number of games made by a game studio is one. ONE. Because they go under so frequently. Eliminating the risk of failure, getting to build your dream game, and securing 50% royalties is an amazing deal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You tagged disagree, but I'm in agreement really. By "says something about the industry" I mainly meant volatility. You laid it out better though, tip o' the cap.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Woops, misunderstood you and thought you were implying publishers are purposely giving game devs a raw deal.
    Most publishers are shit, but they also take on a lot of risk -- especially when financing newer studios.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. passerby Liturgist

passerby
    Yes, no sane person would wish to start a risky business with their own savings, as opposed to getting a financieer in exchange for 50% profits and would do it only out of necessity, you are clueless about making business.
    The devs retain all intellectual property, if it's a success, then they can make a sequel with this 50% profit cut on their own.

If you have plenty of money, you can loose some of it on a failed venture, it doesn't matter. If you put a decade worth of work and savings on the line, it's far more important to not get zeroed out, than to make a truckload of money.
    The best way to start a business, without fucking up anyones life, is if a person who wants to get job done, meet a person with excess of money and it's a very American way from my understanding.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    So does that 88/12 thingy worked out or nah?

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. passerby Liturgist

passerby
    88/12 thingy is fine but not enough alone, they failed mostly because they've announced in advance these are all timed exclusives, or didn't pay enough to make them permanent exclusives.
    They should just kept the timed nature of exclusives secret and wait to see what happens, there was literally no advantage to announcing it in advance and I can't wrap my head around why they did it.

They're also bloating the store with non exclusive indie trash, that no one buys and dillute the exposure exclusives get there.
    They should have a separate section with only exclusives at the top of the store page and the rest of the games below it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.