Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Angthoron

Arcane
Hot take: Once Epic store is less of a spyware and more of a distribution platform, I'll use it.

I mean, who gives a fuck, it's not Origin. Fuck Origin.

And fuck Ken Levine.

Edit: For the record, I've not bought any Ken Levine games since that first one that sucked. Or any Origin games at all.

Fake edit: I am mildly inebriated.

Fake edit 2: fuck you

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh honestly even when it has more features and stop being a spyware, I doubt I'd use a service from a developer that outright said they don't want to please customers.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Is he the Soros of gaming?
thinking.png

More like the Hitler of gaming

"A few days ago we learned that Epic Games was intending to launch its own digital storefront, taking aim at Steam's dominance by giving developers 88% of the revenue."

Somebody should shut him down.
88 stands for the 88 precepts as put down in writing by David Lane

I'd rather you not mar the good name of Hitler with even a joking association with Epic

A few years ago your worst worry was that your anticipated game would come with a metric ton of micro-transactions and horse amor dlc and these days its about it becoming an Epic Store Exclusive.

Vatnik Wumao
We already know devs got shit in the case of The Outer Worlds, it's the publisher getting it. So Epic is basically just insurance for publishers. It has jack shit to do with supporting devs. Except maybe for indies with no publisher.
Who pays devs salaries and takes all financial risks you commie retard ? No one was stopping Obsidian owners from going all in with all their savings and loans like CDPR, or Larian did and finance it themselves.

The Epic's 12% cut could be just a dumping tactic to remove the competition that cannot maintain such low cut.
It's guaranteed, that Valve can maintain it way easier than Epic.

But can Valve maintain it way easier than Tencent? If Epic has decided to use dumping as a tactic, that means they have enough cash in the background to burn in a battle of attrition.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Valve has a lot of cash in the bank since they get out way more than they put in and that has been the case for years. Even shit like the Steam Marketplace probably makes millions a day at zero effort for Valve, since they take a cut on everything on there.

Checked around an Estonian gaming forum for what people think.
Epic can light themselves on fire.
I forgot my Epic password and neither the password reset or a support ticket helped. They just closed the support ticket.
Never-ever give Epic any money. Full stop.
Grade A support.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sweeney showing a spergy lack of social intelligence again. People complaining about muh spyware are either retarded or just trolling. Getting into an argument with either group is p. dumb for a big corp CEO.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://m.windowscentral.com/epic-games-store-85-million-users-already

Days ago, Epic Games announced that it was bringing some popular PlayStation 4 exclusives to PC. Developer Quantic Dream recently expressed interest in going multi-platform, and the team is porting Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human to PC for the first time. You won't find these titles on Steam. Even titles like Obsidian Entertainment's The Outer Worlds will launch on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store before they hit Steam.

Fortnite is an incredibly popular game, and it doesn't seem like slowing down. The popularity of this free-to-play title as well as the exclusive announcements has propelled the Epic Games Store number to 85 million users. A report by PC Gamer provided more details.
Epic Games said during a GDC presentation today that there are now 85 million registered users of the Epic Games Store on PC — and, according to user surveys from August 2018 and January 2019, 40 percent of them report not having Steam.
It's great to see that the number has risen to 85 million users. Despite opposing viewpoints, competition is always good for the industry and Epic Games will push Steam to do better when it comes to its customers and developers

If old then rate this post old but anyway:

:dead:
Is this supposed to be impressive?
For many, the epic store is nothing but a launcher for Fortnite.

Also, lol at the "opposition is always good" bullshit I keep seeing. They never talked about GOG like this, really gets that noggin joggin.

Dexter

Arcane
Finally, Ismail asked about what independent developers can do to help their chances of passing Epic's curation process. Stelzer's answer suggested they shouldn't be thinking about what Epic wants to see in a game.

"You never want to make the game with the target of a platform in mind," Stelzer said. "You want to make the best quality game you can make. Indie developer, AAA, and everything in between, you should always be true to yourself, thinking about the quality of what you're making, and are you staying true to your vision? The cream always rises to the top at the end of the day. If you make a crappy game, then there are places where you can put crappy games."
Btw. regarding this, you can apparently hear the first grumblings from "Indies" about their "crappy games" not being allowed on the storefront, I expect this to intensify soon and also lead to retarded articles as some of the "clique" don't make the cut:
AQz2bKf.png

Q6qQbzs.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom