Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline e'Sports' now challenging mainstream sports

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I will never consider malnourished dorks on par with athletes or even relatable.
70cf70beaa58ecf5a1aec8663096d1fb.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lot of dummies in this thread not seeing the big picture. There are no niggers kneeling and spewing BLM bullshit before League of Legends matches. They aren't even smart enough to play the game. That alone makes it better than just about every traditional sport.
Just because your dumb american footballers do the stupid kneeling, doesn't mean that generally every sport event has that.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
DotA2 recently added a word filter so we can't spam the N-word. Online gaming spaces may well end up just as pozzed as IRL. Don't put it past League to make a tournament-required BLM map cosmetic or some shit down the line.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Man, I can tell you if something is getting big or not. If I fucking see it, it means it's getting big. I mean I lived the quarantine life before it became popular. Anyways, I've seen people in just about every lab watching this on the computers while working. League of Legends seems like a huge thing at the moment. Fuck off with that, though. I like sports: boxing, NFL, and professional wrestling. I'm not into shitty, faggy eSports.

J1M

Arcane
There is absolutely a need for the development of some new sports.

The waning of traditional sports partially fueled the rise of UFC. It is simply more interesting than boxing or baseball.

People are searching for something to make into a weekly tradition and backseat coach. Esports is there, getting some views, but you wouldn't watch it with your family.

A new successor sport will have the following traits:
1. Matches can be watched in 2 hours or less
2. Fans can create interesting fantasy leagues to compete (aka team sport)
3. Doesn't require a cable subscription to watch
4. Rules that select for traits in players of average height, since nobody likes short people and tall ones will train for the higher salaries of established sports
5. Low cost of entry, needs to be cheaper than hockey to play
6. Scoring system that creates high risk/reward situations for highlight reels
7. Some sort of strategic pregame picking system. MOBA character picking is like the football coin toss on steroids

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Women starting from highschool now lust over eSport champions, and the jocks are now treated the same way nerds & geeks were treated in our youth.

I'm sure this is the dork fantasy, but its not going to happen like that. For starters, women lust over very specific athletes: tall and robust looking. you dont find women for example, trying to suck off marathon runners and gymnast midgets. So sorry to burst the bubble, but women are never going to lust after bird-jaw dorks with a chronic vitamin D deficiency and mild autism, its literally against nature. Secondly, even supposing e-sports supplants actual sports in mainstream culture (quick name a e-sports "athlete". No, dont open another tab. Meanwhile, you could probably instantly name actual athletes including from sports you dont even watch! So what the fuck do these numbers even mean in practice. A video of a cat doing things cats routinely do gets more views than any game of naggerball, and? what of it?), guess what? The guys who will be REALLY good at esports will be the same types of guys who were REALLY good at actual sports. Especially since most of these e-sports games are selecting for people with fast reaction times above any other perceivable trait.

By the way, nerds already have a sport they excel at. Its called Chess. The best chess players in the world are incredibly intelligent men. Dorks are not, because having large amounts of time to spend doing nothing but playing video games 8+ hours every day due to no gf, no job and no friends is not a talent, nor does it require anything other than a permissive lifestyle.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People watch sport for their entire life, but nobody watches esports after they grow out of gaming. Esports is shit. Hell, I'm a gamer and I find esports terribly boring.

I really don't get why people find it exciting. Look, when people watch sport, they see the athletes sweating, battling it out, it's flesh and bone. The human factor makes it exciting. But what do you do when you watch esports? You watch gameplay. You don't see the players, and even if they show them, they are just teenagers sitting in front of a computer. There is no human factor in there, at least you don't see it. So, esports is shit.

The barrier for me is that it has to be a game I like and know well, or I'm not interested. You don't have to play baseball or know a ton about it to enjoy the occasional Summer baseball game, but League of Legends I have like zero interest in watching because I don't play the game. Maybe most don't agree with me, but I feel like that's a barrier to entry since most people don't play the same game.

I do watch Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizer tournaments, because that was my favorite game as a kid and its randomizer works really well.

Codex Year of the Donut
A new successor sport will have the following traits:
1. Matches can be watched in 2 hours or less
2. Fans can create interesting fantasy leagues to compete (aka team sport)
3. Doesn't require a cable subscription to watch
4. Rules that select for traits in players of average height, since nobody likes short people and tall ones will train for the higher salaries of established sports
5. Low cost of entry, needs to be cheaper than hockey to play
6. Scoring system that creates high risk/reward situations for highlight reels
7. Some sort of strategic pregame picking system. MOBA character picking is like the football coin toss on steroids
You forgot the most important one of all:
Easy to spectate.
You can line up the death of the RTS genre with the rise of streaming almost perfectly. RTS are simply too difficult to spectate compared to things like hero shooters or ASSFAGGOTS, there's too much going on for a layperson to have any idea what's happening.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
The waning of traditional sports partially fueled the rise of UFC. It is simply more interesting than boxing or baseball.

I want to point out that this is not true, and not why the UFC is a success today, and if you dont believe me, just ask yourself why the UFC is the only MMA organization you know/care about, and then go read about the history of the UFC and how it came very close to disappearing forever. UFC became the juggernaut it is today thanks largely to marketing, advertising deals and The Ultimate Fighter, and at the final hour no less. The UFC is a success because they focused on all the things most combat sports dont focus on.

Many many many combat sports investments have been tried on the basis of "well clearly, its more interesting than boxing because more things going on!" and have been stunning failures. I mean literally everything you can think of that could be involved in a combat sport. From simply trying to introduce to americans and europeans to sports already established elsewhere in the world (muay thai for example, which is fairly popular in europe, but sunk like the titanic in the US) to absolutely ridiculous high concept stuff. Its all been tried, especially during the 80s and 90s, and most of it was over before it ever really began.

Finally, the perception that the UFC is more popular than boxing these days is certainly a popular perception, but its not actually true. Between the years of 2002 and 2017, boxing had the biggest PPV buy rates 13 out of 16 years and boxing owns all 8 of the top 8 combat sports ppv buy rates of all time. Boxing is definitely badly managed, sprawling, and hard for the casual fan to follow, but it remains the premier combat sport in the entire world, and thats why it can afford to pay its top athletes multi million purses, including guys you dont know by name. By contrast, theres only ONE guy in the UFC able to demand anything close to those purses.

Finally, an article that makes the case it is the UFC that will be experiencing struggles to maintain market share in the coming years, not boxing. Take with a fistful of salt, but it does make some salient points and cites some interesting figures https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/02/15/ufc-isnt-killing-boxing-its-using-boxing-to-survive.html#:~:text=Contrary to public perception, boxing,49-year-old demographic.&text=“That's unprecedented in all of,20 years as a manager.

J1M

Arcane
Maybe. But you could also say that as soon as people knew there was an alternative (via marketing) they changed viewing habits.

UFC runs 50 PPV events a year. When you only run one somewhat important PPV event a month it's easy to see why it might sell more on average. And 2002-2017 sounds like a rather cherry-picked date range. How does the total PPV revenue for boxing and UFC compare for each of the last five years?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
UFC is barbaric and it should die. If you enjoy watching people beating eachother to a bloody mass with barely any protection or rules, you have a problem.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Is a known fact that nuggers excel at physical activities while trannies excel at social media games.

DraQ

Arcane
People watch sport for their entire life, but nobody watches esports after they grow out of gaming. Esports is shit. Hell, I'm a gamer and I find esports terribly boring.

I really don't get why people find it exciting. Look, when people watch sport, they see the athletes sweating, battling it out, it's flesh and bone. The human factor makes it exciting. But what do you do when you watch esports? You watch gameplay. You don't see the players, and even if they show them, they are just teenagers sitting in front of a computer. There is no human factor in there, at least you don't see it. So, esports is shit.
Is that one of those neurotypical things?
:mca:
Because it sounds like one of those neurotypical things.

Boomer thread.

Secondly, even supposing e-sports supplants actual sports in mainstream culture (quick name a e-sports "athlete". No, dont open another tab. Meanwhile, you could probably instantly name actual athletes including from sports you dont even watch! So what the fuck do these numbers even mean in practice. A video of a cat doing things cats routinely do gets more views than any game of naggerball, and? what of it?)
All it takes is the media start feeding us these names daily like they do with sports, which they are already dabbling with.

UFC is barbaric and it should die. If you enjoy watching people beating eachother to a bloody mass with barely any protection or rules, you have a problem.

They're not slave gladiators. Inject some T.

All it takes is the media start feeding us these names daily like they do with sports, which they are already dabbling with.
the media started feeding us the names of the big brother's thugs two decades ago already, like fuck i know the name of one of them.

fighting sports need strict rules to be interesting, that's why boxe will always rule and ufc is for drooling rednecks. first of all boxe makes us focus on the upper body, fewer moving parts to follow, this might limit the possibilities but enhances the guesswork of the watcher to be likely, knowing even just barely two boxeurs you can sort of predict how the fight will develop and confronting reality with your imagination is part of the fun. in ufc you watch two monkeys in a cage, then something too sudden to notice happened and one of them is hammering the face of the other one who's unconscious on the ground. so much fun.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, what kind of ultra-millennial turbocuck do you have to be to watch SOMEONE ELSE play vidya games?

That's like watching someone watch a movie. Or watching someone read a book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom