Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fairly inane Fallout 3 plea at Crispy Gamer

Gwendo

Augur
Oblivion, as a RPG, sucked. But as an adventure game in general, it's good. It will become boring, but untill then, you've spent many hours into it, just exploring it's world and gameplay elements.

Fallout 3 will not be really a sequel to Fallout 2, just as Oblivion isn't a RPG, so FO3 is gonna rock as Oblivion did, but not in the codex hivemind.

Lurkar

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
No...it still doesn't. Their logic is that since Oblivion was great as a game that Fallout 3 will be great because of Bethesda's amazing talent. They base that Bethesda has this talent because Oblivion was such a masterpiece.

Big flaw there though; Oblivion sucked. That kind of kills their argument, eh?

From what I've read around various comment threads on other sites, the "OMFG OBLIVION ROXXORZ" opinion has died down in the recent months and gave way to, "Ya know, Oblivion was kind of mediocre." I'm actually kind of amazed it took as long as it did for the hype to wind down considering the new additions to the series in Oblivion were either broken like the Radiant AI or poorly designed like the horses. Meanwhile, Oblivion cut out a good chunk of other things like the land size, skills and weapons. Oblivion is just less than Morrowind, which I think most gamers actually see now.

But hey, most gamers are bitches for the hype trains, so I can see why they follow the line of thought that Fallout will be great because Bethesda can hype like few others.

Bingo.

When Oblivion came out, all you heard was how it was flawless and perfect.

Now with Fallout 3, what you read is "Unlike the flawed and ultimately less then perfect Oblivion, Fallout 3 is flawless and perfect. No, really!"

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Nah. When Oblee came out, what you read was "Unlike the flawed and ultimately less then perfect Morrowind, Oblivion is flawless and perfect. No, really!"

I'm just glad they've dispensed with that whole "It's totally gonna be another Fallout game!", and moved on to "Well, yeah, it'll be Post-Nuclear Oblivion."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lurkar said:
When Oblivion came out, all you heard was how it was flawless and perfect.

Now with Fallout 3, what you read is "Unlike the flawed and ultimately less then perfect Oblivion, Fallout 3 is flawless and perfect. No, really!"

The Rybicky Maneuver?

NiM82

Prophet
Andhaira said:
I wonder if they found time to implement radiant AI!

"Dogmeat can be given assignments, and will try to follow them with his Radiant AI"

Nice to know they aren't exaggerating the capabilities of the AI this time!

What sort of assignments can a dog be give anyway? Play dead? Roll over? Lick your balls? I'm interested to see how RAI handles the whole ball-licking scenario. Perhaps crazy ol’ Pete Molyneux could licence the technology for Fable 2?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
muds_animal_friend said:
What sort of assignments can a dog be give anyway? Play dead? Roll over? Lick your balls? I'm interested to see how RAI handles the whole ball-licking scenario. Perhaps crazy ol’ Pete Molyneux could licence the technology for Fable 2?

you might...do ..things to it ..then you can have...dog-man hybrids...oh god stop.

obediah

Erudite
MountainWest said:
JarlFrank said:
We have to spell Fallout 3 correctly in every post we make, so the kiddos searching for "Fal ouwt 3 - the bestest gaem evar" in google won't find a link to the Codex there.

Fixed.

Way to go fuckknob! Now we're boned either way.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rat Keeng said:
Nah. When Oblee came out, what you read was "Unlike the flawed and ultimately less then perfect Morrowind, Oblivion is flawless and perfect. No, really!"

Which completely amazed me considering GameSpot had that "Play through Oblivion" streaming video dealie when it was first released where the guy was pointing out it's flaws. Then the same guy gave it a nearly flawless review. I'm still kind of amazed everyone glossed over the obvious console first mentality behind the PC interface in Oblivion. That would have been the first thing to annoy me in the game.

Fez

Erudite
Hard to tell if it is financial incentives or incompetence that cause such glossing over.

It's amazing how everyone and their cousin writing these things is now apparently the greatest Fallout fan ever all of a sudden. They still play it and enjoy it and know all about it, but would like nothing more than to never see it or a sequel again and spend their time explaining why it should be killed, skinned and turned into a fetching coat for something else to wear instead. Confusing.

It's like someone who has a great chocolate cake for the first time. They love this chocolate cake and later decide to have another, this time with cherries and cream. They wait years for another chocolate cake and apparently in the meantime tell everyone how much they like those chocolate cakes and that they are enjoying them even today. Huge fan of them. Even if they never mentioned a word of it in print until now. Of course although chocolate cake has always been great to them and they still enjoy it, they think the latest chocolate cake should be made from ground beef instead of chocolate and rather than fruit being added it will use mustard and onions, but it's still great chocolate cake guys because he's putting those sprinkles on it. Maybe they can add some of that cream - well, actually yoghurt - but that's pretty similar anyway, right? It's white and kind of runny. Don't worry. Swallow it all and you'll be fine. They know what they are doing and he's a great fan of chocolate cake, so he'd know best. It will be the greatest chocolate cake ever. :wink:

Ananke

Novice
We have to misspell Fallout 3 in every post we make, so the kiddos searching for "Fallout 3" in google won't find a link to the Codex there.
Too late for that, I'm afraid.

Although, and I'm saying this seriously, for someone who stopped playing cRPGs around the time when they went 3D/MMO, and who now, awakened from her coma by the magic words, "Fallout 3", cautiously ventures out into the brave new world to see what the hubbub's all about - the Codex does provide a refreshing load of scepticism.

So, thank you, and maybe you shouldn't?

By the way, one question, since I'm curious: will there be some sort of toolset attached to the game? I haven't seen much about it in the news section, so there probably isn't, is there?

(If there isn't, perhaps its inclusion would resolve the matter? Because, again, to the total outsider, it looks as if you had issues with the (lack of) quality of storytelling rather than the artistic design of the world?)

Section8

Cipher
By the way, one question, since I'm curious: will there be some sort of toolset attached to the game? I haven't seen much about it in the news section, so there probably isn't, is there?

As far as I know it's been a big maybe from Bethesduh, but the fact that every time it gets mentioned they do the whole "Oh, we'd totally love to give you a toolset. Nothing would please us more than giving you a toolset, we're just not sure if it will actually happen" thing, I can't help but think they have no intention at all to provide a toolset.

NiM82

Prophet

I dunno if it's been totally ruled out, but the gist from what they've said seems to imply they won't. They have been making a lot of noise and excuses on why they may not release one this time. But they probably won't confirm/deny it until everyone's bought the game...

Their excuses ranged from: it costing a lot of money to make it available to the public, which is fairly bullshitty. That it made patching harder, which is again bullshitty. Then in one interview Emil said quite candidly "it was bad for us" (or something to that effect). I assume by which he was referring to fan content harming premium content sales?

If there isn't, perhaps its inclusion would resolve the matter? Because, again, to the total outsider, it looks as if you had issues with the (lack of) quality of storytelling rather than the artistic design of the world?

If you have to make your own game in essence to enjoy it, why buy the game at all, esp when it has console combat and dumbed down stats? Redoing the entire story would also take years - by the time you'd finished Fan made Fallout and Grimoire may actually have been released.

Fez

Erudite
They know they can't sell horse armor and their crappy micropaymnent stuff if there are people producing better stuff for free.

DraQ

Arcane
NiM82 said:
Then in one interview Emil said quite candidly "it was bad for us" (or something to that effect). I assume by which he was referring to fan content harming premium content sales?
Are they that fucking retarded? I suppose the CS got them much more money than their shitty DLCs ever could. Moddability can be a factor when buying a game and it certainly keeps the community alive which sells copies via word of the mouth advertising. Those single $ certainly do add up to large sums, but I doubt that there is one single person that said "cool, I'll buy OB so I'll be able to buy a DLC with shiny horse armor!!!" or "This game so rocks, it has locked doors leading nowhere, so I can buy orrery DLC!!!".

NiM82

Prophet
Worth bearing in mind too Fallout 3 will have a definitive ending, game-over and the world also isn't free roaming (like MW/Obliv), but rather a series of hubs (connected by tunnels filled with orc's and resident evil rejects). Given most mods for Obliv/MW are of the "filling out the wilderness" variety, designed to keep people beyond the OC, it could be they think there won't be as much scope/demand for user made mods anyway.

Suchy

Arcane
hotdognights said:
I have to agree. The wiki-dialog, the arcade combat, the lack of C&C-all these would be forgivable if Bethesda managed to make their games fun .

That's exactly what made this game not fun...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fez said:
They know they can't sell horse armor and their crappy micropaymnent stuff if there are people producing better stuff for free.
$1.99 for horse armor is micropayment? It seems ridiculously overpriced to me. Fifty cents, maybe.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
obediah said:
MountainWest said:
JarlFrank said:
We have to spell Fallout 3 correctly in every post we make, so the kiddos searching for "Fal ouwt 3 - the bestest gaem evar" in google won't find a link to the Codex there.

Fixed.

Way to go fuckknob! Now we're boned either way.

I discovered this website by typing "Fallout 2 sucks" into google after debating with my roommate whether or not anybody held that opinion earnestly.

I guess some people do...

But uh yeah, I agree with the bandwagon sentiment that this article is fluff.

Texas Red

Whiner
Claw said:
Fez said:
$1.99 for horse armor is micropayment? It seems ridiculously overpriced to me. Fifty cents, maybe.

More like free. If you put a price tag only on every item you will get a bigger price than 50 $ or whatever Oblivion was worth. It's a scam and nothing more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom