Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Aces - A crime noir FPS from New Blood Interactive

geno

Savant
The demo has been updated. I've tried it for a few minutes and the difficulty has been raised, making the stealth and avoiding combat more valuable. The AI is way more aggresive (at least in the highest difficulty)

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried the demo, here is what I think:

- artstyle and atmosphere are p. gud, story seems to be something along the lines of the Watchmen in the 1930s period - seems OK as well

- there is surprisingly good stealth system in place, including shadows and distractions (throwing stuff)

- combat is really good and fairly hard on the highest difficulty, obviously inspired by Condemned with some additions (effects for hits into various body parts, you can throw objects), all weapons break after some time, firearms have very limited ammo

I was pleasantly surprised with the difficulty, you need to git gud in combat, which has a lot of nuance (you need to manage your stamina, you can block and dodge), enemies are usually numerous and hit pretty hard. This makes stealth very attractive. In any case the game is pretty legit - it is not just a by-the-numbers FPS trying to stand out through the artstyle.

The biggest problem for me was that there are no saves and whenever you die you start at a checkpoint - the thing is that the world state however carries over so you are walking through cleared out areas full of corpses/unconscious enemies on your way to the place where you died - for me this kinda breaks the flow of the game. Hopefully this is only the demo thing and the full release will either have saves or normal checkpoints.

In any case I wishlisted this. It has potential, the question is whether the devs will manage to fully unlock it.

I also played through it.

Visually nice, style works well with stealth and showing your visibility etc.

Stealth actually worked and better than many games. Felt a bit unsatisfying sneaking when combat is clearly the "intended" way.

The combat felt too easy (original demo, haven't tried the updated one), with too many fodder enemies and thrown objects too powerful.

Could be decent but not really enough to go by in the demo. More emphasis on the story, characters and possibly humour might make it stand out and stay fun to the end.

Finally trying the demo of this. Looks pretty neat, but not too fond of the super arcade-style fast paced movement. At first I actually thought the game had auto-run enabled, but upon holding SHIFT the character actually rocketed through the environments.

Oddly enough, the movement speed seems tied to the FOV settings some? At least, it feels that way, which may be a perception thing. (Which it is, which is probably why some games increase the FOV when characters sprint, to give the impression of added speed).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom