Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1 - most stupid game ever?

Chuck Norris

Augur
I thought this is about the plot twist at the end, where

you explain to the Master that his mutants are infertile, but the fucking idiot acts shocked and kills himself. Does it really make sense that someone this meticulous didn't do his due diligence about something this important?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I have been playing Fallout 1.
I arrived in Shady Sands in the beginning.
There was a dog at the gates.
I could not talk to the dog.
I have never seen such a stupid game in my life.
Only a select handful of dogs in the Fallout universe are capable of telepathic communication with humans.

ellihb5.jpg

Ahbhu and his owner, Harlan Ellison

Lemming42

Arcane

you explain to the Master that his mutants are infertile, but the fucking idiot acts shocked and kills himself. Does it really make sense that someone this meticulous didn't do his due diligence about something this important?
It's sort of the elephant in the room when it comes to Fallout, people (rightly) mock the awful confrontation with the computer president in Fo3 for the "this is wrong" "you're right, i'm going to kill myself" speech check solution, but it's just a distilled version of the ending to Fo1 (albeit far, far more shit and less fitting to the story). Fo1 gets away with it because the confrontation with the Master, and the preceding trip through the Cathedral, is so unbelievably captivating and harrowing and such a triumph from an art and sound design perspective that it sort of glosses over how dumb the actual content of the conversation is.

It works if you see the conversation as an abstraction, sort of a representation of the dialogue that's meant to be taking place. You can see the outline of what's meant to be happening (the Master realises that the unviability of the Unity means that all the severe moral compromises he convinced himself to make were all for nothing, and the guilt that in reality he's little more than a mass murderer hits him like a freight train), and thematically it works perfectly. but it's not conveyed very well on screen, especially given the player character's rather brief and dispassionate responses. Though it's even further undermined by the fact that he can be on the brink of suicide and then apparently forget all about it if you say "nah i reckon it'll work, just try it on me", resulting in the standard "bad ending" FMV where he happily orders Unity soldiers to slaughter Vault 13.

Still far better than the equivalent part in Fo2 where you talk to some random guy you've never seen or heard of before at great length in a deeply boring and railroaded conversation before he agrees to blow himself and the entire oil rig up for you because you said "have you considered that it'd be mean to kill me?".

vota DC

Augur

The fev didn't cause mutants being sterile at the beginning, It does later. It Is like the tranny frogs of Jurassic Park that messed in the opposite sense.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Op failed a "perception check" because the flaws start far earlier then Shady Sands.
Players are brutally confronted with a harsh reality right outside the very door of Vault 13.

Codexers of yore have often pointed out the Fallout 1 devs utter failure to simulate the initiation of "Rat Diplomacy".

Presenting the classic mockup how it should worked in A REAL CRPG!

7344.gif

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
shut up, talking people into committing seppuku is the most entertaining thing

I prefered how you can convince Lanius into retreating in New Vegas, because it came off less goofy than those confrontations that can end with a suicide.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Once in my base existence I wish that, when I come back from a hard day in a cold world, to what is considered my home, a small dog would welcome me with affectionate energy, its eyes telling me that my presence was desired and an object of longing ; and so I could swiftly and repeatedly kick it in order to relieve my tensions, and cause me some amount joy in the process. I do not think a man is asking too much when demanding such a thing out of life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom