Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 Wasteland Merc Mod

z3r'0'

Liturgist
Thanks. Sure hope to check it out.

Dragon

Augur
Pffiou, RPGCodex forums can be heavy on your nerves sometimes. Hey, he just asked a simple question : what to keep or not from the first mod !

I really liked that "Fallout Roguelike Light". So here a some quick thoughts.

Keep :
- all except remove section ?

Remove :
- people refusing to say anything before you reached a given level (which you ignored). Plenty of walking from NPC to NPC and from town to town just to know if something changed when you got 1 lvl more.
- changes based on time. It has to be on events.
- some new weapon graphics really were horrible.

Add :
- more things to do (allready doing it, I know)
- a final goal. Maybe like "Fate" which allows you then to create a new character with some cool advantages.
- different paths to do the same things : different entry points on maps, more than one map for a given player level, more ways to get objects/weapons/ammo.

I'm really waiting for that second mod.
"Life in the mod is about to change".

Oh, and to the previous posters : "RPGCodex... RPGCodex never changes..."
:)

Dragon

Augur
Oh, and Haris, you should really REALLY use the Fallout Tactics engine, it's so much better. I've played a Fallout mod using Fallout Tactics, and it was pretty good. It was called "Fallout Awaken". You can find it on eMule if some of you want to try it.

callehe

Liturgist
Dragon said:
Oh, and Haris, you should really REALLY use the Fallout Tactics engine, it's so much better. I've played a Fallout mod using Fallout Tactics, and it was pretty good. It was called "Fallout Awaken". You can find it on eMule if some of you want to try it.

I thought the FO tactics engine didn't support any dialogue interaction with NPCs?

Haris

Novice
Remove :
- people refusing to say anything before you reached a given level (which you ignored). Plenty of walking from NPC to NPC and from town to town just to know if something changed when you got 1 lvl more.
- changes based on time. It has to be on events.
- some new weapon graphics really were horrible.
Well there are no more level requirments for getting missions. Now all 5 civilised locations that give missions are close to eachother and across the map there are 10 combat locations that are in different difficulty level and boxes drop random items in them. The harder map it is the more rewarding loot from boxes is. And boxes must be lockpicked wich gets harder and harder the as the harder location you chose to clean out and some are even randomly traped. And there is lot of missions where you have to bring several items that rarley drop when you clean out a map. Sometimes you will have to rekill a location up to 20 times before you get a certain item that solves one of missions.

Changes based on time existed only cause fallout 2 engine is hardcoded so you have to work around it. In the second part Infested flagstaff turns back in to brotherhood base when brotherhood cleans the aliens out. It has to be put in that way there is nothing to do about it except make it look like you scripted and not engine hardcode.

Add :
- more things to do (allready doing it, I know)
- a final goal. Maybe like "Fate" which allows you then to create a new character with some cool advantages.
- different paths to do the same things : different entry points on maps, more than one map for a given player level, more ways to get objects/weapons/ammo.

Well new things: Crafting, mining, fishing, cooking, hunting
And there is 5 crowded mission giving locations near eachother and 10 combat locations on the other side of the map so you really wont know wich one bellongs to wich town except there will be an npc merc that tells you order of their difficulty. Other locations are Mines, Radiated mines, your crafting factory where you can craft stuff and store items and black market.

Well those other mentioned thing you will have to wait for those advance moding teams to finish their mods. Wasteland merc is about quantiti over quality. We aim to finish our mods and not just talk about them for several years. The best new thing is that when you kill an enemi that wears a weapon or ammo of any kind all his stuff gets deleted so you no longer can loot tons of ammo and weapons. You are 100% forced to eather craft or take mele char and beat the npcs and hope they pass out so you can steal their ammo and not even than will there be enough to loot.

Dragon

Augur
callehe said:
Dragon said:

I thought the FO tactics engine didn't support any dialogue interaction with NPCs?
Well, you are right, just enough to give you some quests. Fallout Awaken is just combat oriented. But so is the Wasteland Merc mod.

Dragon

Augur
Haris said:
Well there are no more level requirments for getting missions. Now all 5 civilised locations that give missions are close to eachother and across the map there are 10 combat locations that are in different difficulty level and boxes drop random items in them. The harder map it is the more rewarding loot from boxes is. And boxes must be lockpicked wich gets harder and harder the as the harder location you chose to clean out and some are even randomly traped
That's great.
Haris said:
Changes based on time existed only cause fallout 2 engine is hardcoded so you have to work around it. In the second part Infested flagstaff turns back in to brotherhood base when brotherhood cleans the aliens out. It has to be put in that way there is nothing to do about it except make it look like you scripted and not engine hardcode.
Must be quite difficult to work with this engine.
Haris said:
The best new thing is that when you kill an enemi that wears a weapon or ammo of any kind all his stuff gets deleted so you no longer can loot tons of ammo and weapons.
Ouch, I'm not sure I'll like this one. Looting the weapon of an enemy who just nealy killed you is really thrilling.

Well, keep up the good work.

Haris

Novice
Well yea its really hard to work with this engine.

And looting still exists when you kill the enemies just not from their bodies but from the boxes in the map. And cause they are locked this means you cant loot them before you clean the map out. Maybe if you menage to sneak. Only thing is that you dont loot ammo and weapons but just missions items and some resources that are used to make weapons, ammo, drugs and armors. Stuff like chemicals and plastic bars and oil cans.

Cirix

Novice
Two things that would make this mod really good:

{1} The *need* to eat and drink to survive. It's time for the winey babies to stop saying "I died from dehydration; this is gay"

{2} The ability to start a LAN game with another body. A mod intended for a maximum of two people would be sufficient, and a worthy addition.

Haris

Novice
Well Wasteland merc 2 is 80% finished now. Here are some of the new screens.

water_28025.jpg

water_28024.jpg

water_28023.jpg

water_28022.jpg

water_28021.jpg

Fez

Erudite
Shhh, don't spoil it for him. These are precious moments.

Haris

Novice
Yea there is fishing and cooking. You can eather hunt brahmins, rats and geckos and cook their meat or rad scorpions and cook their tails. Or you can fish and cook the fishes. You can allso cook deathclaw eggs. And all food heals you. Its used instead of stimpaks. Different food heals different amount of hp when you eat it. Plus scoprion tail works a bit like healing powder cause its still slightly poisoned when cooked.

And you allso consume meat and water flasks when you mine. So food is needed for alot of things in Wasteland Merc 2.

Ap_Jolly

Liturgist
Healing food being touted as "realistic" is funny. How does it work? You plug the bullet hole with a chicken wing?

Haris

Novice
Who said it was realistic. I just wanted to implement a need for hunting animals and for fishing and cooking. And that seemd as a good way.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It certainly sounds interesting. If this was Bethesda proposing something for Fallout 3, I'd be frothing at the mouth - but for a Fallout mod, eh. I'll give it a whirl when it's out.

Haris

Novice
water_28568.jpg

In this area you will find most of mission giving npcs. Its the civilised area of the mod. There are 3 areas in the mod. Civilised area(Towns), Trade area(mines & black makret) and Savage area(Combat locations). They are far away from eachother on the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom