Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 - Codex Opinions Thread

Paska

Novice
Popping in to say that the game is bad.

After playing it for ~5 hours my opinion stands that it is worse than oblivion, i dont know how the heck did they manage to do that.

Vats was fun for a while(pistol decapitates the enemy, the fuck?), but not after going to some damn tunnel system and having to kill loads of ghouls, also, yay once again for unkillable plot npcs.

Anyone have any idea what crippling does on head? i've crippled hands several times(enemy drops his weapon) and legs(slows down enemy movement)

Dialogue is horrid, graphics look like shit, i liked the title music though(and that's about the only music i've heard so far)

Exploding nuke-cars are just ridiculous, i am not getting any 'fallout feel' in the game.

Cynicus

Augur
1eyedking said:
Also, read this entirely. You will rage like you never raged before, guaranteed.

The OP's just a smug little brat trolling. I wouldn't mind bitch-slapping him and then pimping him out to perverts before selling him into slavery, though -- just to let him have a taste of a real post-apocalyptic world FO2-style.

From what I've read and seen so far, FO3 seems soft that way. Aside from nuking Megaton, which isn't too bad, has anyone come across any truly interesting morality choices to explore? I thought Howard said that FO3 was going to be darker and mo' seriouser than the original Fallouts. I know he was probably full of shit, but I still had hope for some real depth despite my jaded and cynical nature. A post-apoc environment, where old rules no longer apply, is so rich in potential for exploring the human condition. Of course, from what I've seen of the dialogue up to this point, I doubt the writer could handle it.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Cynicus said:
The OP's just a smug little brat trolling. I wouldn't mind bitch-slapping him and then pimping him out to perverts before selling him into slavery, though -- just to let him have a taste of a real post-apocalyptic world FO2-style.
falloutjm4.jpg

Ratatosk

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin 2
uhjghvt said:
you must not be very far in, there are a lot of kids

you can't kill them, but there are child corpses and skeletons around

f3hlrl.jpg

That looks a lot like miniaturised adult skeleton...

orao

Novice
"Oh come on... The atmosphere isn't there? You don't get the feeling of a desolate world inhabited by a desperate people? If anything, Fallout 3 has done far more to enhance the atmosphere than the first games, although much of that is thanks to improved technology. And how can you say the dark humor isn't there? In the first game it was nearly non-existant. In the second, it was so over the top and silly it really ruined the mood. How many lame Monty Python jokes could they really make? In F3, the humor is there, and it's far more subtle. I love it. "

Posted by 'DaLagga' on gamefaqs. Also, Mr. DaLagga, there was one Monty Python joke.
Yeah, MOST IMMERSHUNZZZ GAM EVAR.

Suchy

Arcane
Thanks to Oblivion, Codex, NMA and DAC my expectations towards F3 were hitting the bottom from below. And that's good, because the game actually surprised me pleasantly. Sure, it's no match to original Fallouts, no argue about this. Combat is godawful and way too easy, VATS feels like a cheat mode, writing is medicore at best.
Neverthless it's still a better RPG than p. much any recent game (except for The Witcher and probably MoTB which I haven't played yet due to the camera constantly trying to humiliate me). I'd rather like to see other studios copypasting F3 instad of Oblivion as they did so far, because there's a lot of real RPG elements. Dialogue-trees with skill checks, etc.
The fallouty atmoshpere is there. At least visually (though it looks and moves very 2006).
Music is OK, I'm definitely missing that tribal-industrial-ambient of Mark Morgan, but this stuff is not bad. Haven't heard any dramatic orchestrals yet, mostly ambient music with some instrumental, instead of electronic, touch to it. Only that level-up fanfare was a wtf.
World feels too compressed and too inhabited - I wouldn't mind if it was any other game, but it's fucking Fallout. You're supposed to feel lonely on a desolated world. Big fail here.
I'd rate it 7/10 as a RPG generally in the current pitiful state of the genre, and 5/10 as a Fallout sequel.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
DiverNB said:
I see that you seemed baffled at why you're not evil when you get out of the vault. Why would you be? yes you killed the vault guards and the overseer, but it was really just survival. I'd classify it as a more neutral act than evil, though it is kind of weird I walked out being a saint as well...
I'm not baffled at not being evil. I'm baffled at being a saint after killing the overseer and the guards. I'm not sure I had to kill the Overseer. He wasn't hostile originally, but I demanded his key or pass or whatever that was, he said "nevar", I said "o'rly?", and then he was dead. His daughter wasn't too crazy about me killing her dad.

I see, and agree. I killed the overseer too and I thought the daughter just became an annoyance. Would have been cool to have a speech option telling her to abandon the vault with you.

Also, I have been following your LP over at Iron Tower, and I just got up to the point where you watched Burke kill the sheriff. It's odd that you weren't able to, as soon as he put the sheriff down I switched into fats and took his head off. The pimpin' glasses were what I wanted.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Shannow said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
orao said:
there was one Monty Python joke.
Nit-picking, but I think there were three Monty Python encounters, all about the Holy Grail.
Yeah, Holy Grail (Knights on a QUEST), the bridge guard and...don't remember any other *shrug*
There's also the Vorpal Rat encounter where you can get the Holy Hand Grenade and a fuckton of exp.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I also heard from my friend who cracked the game a month ago for the 360, that with high enough RAD poisoning you get special mutant powers.

Vaarna_Aarne

DiverNB said:
I also heard from my friend who cracked the game a month ago for the 360, that with high enough RAD poisoning you get special mutant powers.
Wasn't there a miniscule chance of getting a stat improvement instead of permanent penalty in older Fallouts? I remember that on my first run I got permanent +1 Strength from the radiation I got when my Rad-X effects ran out when leaving the Glow.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get radiation lightning bolts and curative fluids in FO3. Such shit wouldn't be beyond this steaming pile of stupid.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
DiverNB said:
I see, and agree. I killed the overseer too and I thought the daughter just became an annoyance. Would have been cool to have a speech option telling her to abandon the vault with you.
if you don't kill the ass, you can ask her after you unlock the door, she won't though. not killing him has consequences as well (OMG) and triggers a return home quest later.
also, t-51b armor is in the game (which makes me wonder why the other armors don't use that model), looks better than the crappy bos/outlaws/army pa, and the helmet has a charisma bonus.

overall it feels like oblivion 2: fallout tactics.

darthdarther

Novice
Cynicus said:
1eyedking said:
Also, read this entirely. You will rage like you never raged before, guaranteed.

He got to you Myron-style.

orao said:
"Oh come on... The atmosphere isn't there? You don't get the feeling of a desolate world inhabited by a desperate people? If anything, Fallout 3 has done far more to enhance the atmosphere than the first games, although much of that is thanks to improved technology. And how can you say the dark humor isn't there? In the first game it was nearly non-existant. In the second, it was so over the top and silly it really ruined the mood. How many lame Monty Python jokes could they really make? In F3, the humor is there, and it's far more subtle. I love it. "

Posted by 'DaLagga' on gamefaqs. Also, Mr. DaLagga, there was one Monty Python joke.

There was more than one Monty Python joke. There was also a Star Trek joke. And a fucking talking stone head that could obliterate you with a thought.

Vaarna_Aarne

darthdarther said:
Cynicus said:
1eyedking said:

He got to you Myron-style.

orao said:

There was more than one Monty Python joke. There was also a Star Trek joke. And a fucking talking stone head that could obliterate you with a thought.
The thread is full of mind-boggling stupid though, such as this "gem":

Retard said:
KOTOR 2 had interesting dialogue? Er no it didn't. It had ALOT of dialogue options. Alot of crap dialogue options that mostly always produced the same results no matter what you picked. I rmeember playing that game and reloading saved to see if the choices in dialogue actually made much of a impact on anything. And most of the times the dialogue options did jack ****. If you enjoyed KOTOR2 more than KOTOR then that shows where your taste in video games is at.

As for FO3 being like Oblivion. It;s just wrong, plain and simple. It shares similarities of course as it's made by the same developer. But the overall grounding of the game is very different. If you list how the game is similar to Oblivion (outside aesthetics) then maybe you would have a convincing argument.

Lothers

Scholar
It's moderate fun, but it's totally "Oblivion with Guns"... dialogs are not what I expected, they are even worse...

Anyway, can someone tell me HOW THE F*CK I HOLSTER MY WEAPON?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lothers said:
hold reload key down for 3 seks.
you can also assign quickkeys to weapons and consumables by pressing 1-8 in the pip menu.

Deleted member 7219

Raapys said:
Hmm, I'm quickly getting bored playing this game.

I'm still downloading it. So many leechers, not enough seeds. My average download speed through uTorrent for this is 5kb/s! And I can download stuff 200kb/s through Steam!

Lothers

Scholar
SuicideBunny said:
Lothers said:
hold reload key down for 3 seks.
you can also assign quickkeys to weapons and consumables by pressing 1-8 in the pip menu.

Thanks!

BTW: Inventory is pain in the ass, i wonder why there is no inventory icons or even short explaination what items are for... I guess that in Beth-soft in these "3d-next-gen-OMG" era they don't need 2D artists anymore...

MisterStone

Arcane
Metacritic has spoken...

fo1je4.jpg

fo2ls9.jpg

fo3zu6.jpg

Suck on this, video game "journalist" seed swallowers!

*edit* I accidentally had the PS3 review for FO3 before. I replaced it with the PC review screen shot.

entertainer

Arbiter
http://apps.metacritic.com//games/userc ... dn63yJpA**

Forgettable, one-dimensional characters. Unoriginal and simplistic narrative. Short, linear and poorly-written narrative. Poorly-written dialogue. Poorly-voiced dialogue. No real moral ambiguity. No real choices and consequences. No real freedom (there are unkillable NPCs everywhere, narrative progression relies mostly on combat) No intellectually/emotionally complex quests such as in the previous games. Massive illogical contradictions and abuse of established lore. Atrocious animations, lackluster models, textures and art direction. Unoriginal and out-of-place LOTR-styled score more suited to Oblivion. Tactical combat removed. Importance of perks/traits removed. Traits removed. Claustrophobic, small cut-and-paste world. Poorly designed interface. Buggy. Failure to correct any of the issues with Oblivion. A mockery of and stain upon Fallout and Fallout 2. Bethesda's Fallout fails on all counts to emulate even an echo of the complexity and design achievements of the decade-old 2D games it fails to imitate. Even when removed from the context of being a sequel, it's an exceptionally simplistic, arrogant and incompetent game all by itself.

:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom