Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 3 update

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Higher Game said:
You guys are on the right track. There's no way they could get away with making their game called Fallout 3. They will call it something else because it will be so different from what the original Fallout games were. I KNEW that Deus Ex: Invisible War was going to suck the second I saw that it wouldn't be Deus Ex 2. Same with Thief: Deadly Shadows not being called Thief 3. Then there were the "Dark Alliance" games that had absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate.

Anything with a new subtitle or going away from the number system is going to be bad. It's just a rule.

Thief: BS didn't suck /too/ bad.
It had the Cradle. That makes up for a lot. Though the levels were fuckin' small.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
th_Phauxxees_AriArgona_Argonian-Female.jpg

ZOMG Fallout 3 leaked concept art!!!!11 Gecko-human hybrid!!!11!! Rumors sez theyr liek de super muties!!!

u mean the endboss is a OMG LIZARD???? w00t!

kris

Arcane
aries202 said:
I just meant that in the 10 years since the Fall out series first were released there have been many technological advances in the society. Some of these tech advances obviously took place in the gaming industry.

some others of those tech advances was in the movie industry and I can tell you how much that was used to improve the beloved Star wars series. If you with improve meant "ripped out its soul and stabbed its fans".

ps. Real-time combat is not a tech advance.

zioburosky13

Educated
If this is what those fanboys want...
"rmerritt Says:
January 22nd, 2007 at 8:37 am

I so hope Fallout 3 is NOT turnbased. We aren’t running 60 mhz computers and RPGs don’t need to be turn based anymore. I like turn based in some games (such as X-com), but I hate in in RPGs. Like Garry Whitta said, it just takes me out of the game. They were ok back in the day but now, I find the whole “lets pull you out of the game for the board game like combat mini game” mechanic really jarring. Maybe some sort of system like how the older might & magics did it would be fine or whatever the hell is in KOTOR. I love Fallout. Had a great setting, characters, writing, but the combat was for me, horribly unfun. Combat took way too long to resolve in Fallout. Sure there was the odd “hit across the room in the eyes” *wow* moment. However most of the time, you end up standing 2 feet from someone, spend five minutes missing them only to have one of you NPC party to have a critical thumble and blow your arm off. Then you got a few levels and become an invincible god of small arms and the locational selection exists only to keep the player from falling completely asleep. I’ll buy it and play it no matter what type of combat Bethesda ends up using but I really really hope its more like “Oblivion with Guns” than not.

For me, Fallout 3 needs

1. Retro future gone wrong setting. The best fallout games are never far from their retro futuristic roots. In the 1930s to 50s we had a very different view of what the future would be. Fallout used this as a starting point. To me, this is the defining feature of the Fallout universe. Straying from this and you end up with Mad Max or Postman. (or the console Fallout BOS)
2. The established universe character and items. Things such as Ghouls, radscorps, tribes, nuka cola, postcards, pip boy, and so forth.
3. Character stats affect game play. Most crpgs, character stats just affect how hard a puzzle or combat is. In Fallout 1 & 2, they really changed how the game is played.
4. Perks. These are at the heart of customizing your character in the fallout universe.
5. Morbid humor. Things are bleak but if you don’t make them at least somewhat twisted, it ruins the enjoyment of the game. Fallout is not survival horror.
6. The music. Should be 1950s and creepy sci fi. No hip hop or rock.
7. Vague history and world status. We really don’t know what happen and what the status of the rest of the world is and this game shouldn’t change that.
8. Over the top violence. (hellloooo M rating)
9. Harold. – Nuff said

Oblivions + Guns + what is listed above would be perfect to me."

:shock:

Excrément

Arbiter
zioburosky13 said:
"rmerritt Says:

I so hope Fallout 3 is NOT turnbased. We aren’t running 60 mhz computers and RPGs don’t need to be turn based anymore. I like turn based in some games (such as X-com), but I hate in in RPGs. Like Garry Whitta said, it just takes me out of the game. They were ok back in the day but now, I find the whole “lets pull you out of the game for the board game like combat mini game” mechanic really jarring. Maybe some sort of system like how the older might & magics did it would be fine or whatever the hell is in KOTOR. I love Fallout. Had a great setting, characters, writing, but the combat was for me, horribly unfun. Combat took way too long to resolve in Fallout. Sure there was the odd “hit across the room in the eyes” *wow* moment. However most of the time, you end up standing 2 feet from someone, spend five minutes missing them only to have one of you NPC party to have a critical thumble and blow your arm off. Then you got a few levels and become an invincible god of small arms and the locational selection exists only to keep the player from falling completely asleep. I’ll buy it and play it no matter what type of combat Bethesda ends up using but I really really hope its more like “Oblivion with Guns” than not.

For me, Fallout 3 needs

1. Retro future gone wrong setting. The best fallout games are never far from their retro futuristic roots. In the 1930s to 50s we had a very different view of what the future would be. Fallout used this as a starting point. To me, this is the defining feature of the Fallout universe. Straying from this and you end up with Mad Max or Postman. (or the console Fallout BOS)
2. The established universe character and items. Things such as Ghouls, radscorps, tribes, nuka cola, postcards, pip boy, and so forth.
3. Character stats affect game play. Most crpgs, character stats just affect how hard a puzzle or combat is. In Fallout 1 & 2, they really changed how the game is played.
4. Perks. These are at the heart of customizing your character in the fallout universe.
5. Morbid humor. Things are bleak but if you don’t make them at least somewhat twisted, it ruins the enjoyment of the game. Fallout is not survival horror.
6. The music. Should be 1950s and creepy sci fi. No hip hop or rock.
7. Vague history and world status. We really don’t know what happen and what the status of the rest of the world is and this game shouldn’t change that.
8. Over the top violence. (hellloooo M rating)
9. Harold. – Nuff said

Oblivions + Guns + what is listed above would be perfect to me."

I sometimes suspect fallout fan to create comment like that just to fuel the on-going and coming scandal.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I never really understood people that can seemingly play a game, enjoy it
Yeah, I can't wait until they make real-time chess. Turn-based is so old school. We don't need it anymore. Just ram that rook right into the opponents side and duke it out.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Welcome to the brave new world. Morrowind sold well. Oblivion sold better. Logical step is to dumb down more, throw in some guns and sell even more.

RPG is such a loose term of reference these days. But shit by any name always stinks.

sheek

Arbiter
He does have a minor point about the 'jarring' effect of switching between combat and general world interface. The whole game should be turn-based. I don't what's so good about the idea of real-time town/travel (and sometimes even dialog) interfaces. Especially since time in these interfaces is not 'real' but 10x, 50x or 100x times real time.

Have everything menu-driven (Darklands). We do not need to see the generic townsman/junkie/hooker commuting between the locations A, B and C.

Atrokkus

Erudite
To be honest, I'd deal with real-time combat. In fact, if Bethesda feels comfortible with it and confident, then all power to them and it would be better than their feeble attempt at creating their own TB system. However, since it's a CRPG, there needs to be a strong infleunce of stats on combat and that's not very easy to do in realtime combat (in fact, much harder than to make a good TB combat system), because you must make it fun and at least somewhat logical to the player, unlike the idiocy that plagued Morrowind -- you see that you hit, but you actually dont. Something like Bloodlines could work, or Deus Ex. Since Fallout will focus on guns more I guess it makes it much easier for the developers to design a system that FEELS right, and is affected by the way you develop your character.

So combat is not much of a concern here. What I really worry about, however, is choice & consequence. I don't want anothrer oblivion where you had some interesting but absolutely unrelated side-quests, and the main quest that was completely void of any nonlinearity. Make the world smaller - fine. Make quests fewer - fine. But make damn sure you do all of the above right.

suibhne

Erudite
sheek said:
He does have a minor point about the 'jarring' effect of switching between combat and general world interface.

Even real-time combat is jarring in most games, and even more so in RPGs. I'll repeat it yet again: real-time combat can't approximate real live combat any better than turn-based, and it certainly can't approximate squad or party control any better than turn-based; each has strengths and weaknesses, but both are abstractions and neither is automagically IMMERSUV.

At least we can see where FO3 is headed. What'll be interesting to me is how game journalists treat this if it really does turn out to be Oblivion + guns + Bloody Mess, since it's a broadly accepted view among game reviewers that Fallout is one of the pinnacles of the genre (whether or not they've ever played it...) and Beth is screwing around with a license they didn't create and with which they have no prior history. Even so, I'd bet most reviews will be along the lines of "Bethesda brings Fallout into the 21st century!"

Texas Red

Whiner
suibhne said:
At least we can see where FO3 is headed. What'll be interesting to me is how game journalists treat this if it really does turn out to be Oblivion + guns + Bloody Mess, since it's a broadly accepted view among game reviewers that Fallout is one of the pinnacles of the genre (whether or not they've ever played it...) and Beth is screwing around with a license they didn't create and with which they have no prior history. Even so, I'd bet most reviews will be along the lines of "Bethesda brings Fallout into the 21st century!"

Of course they will praise it! Bethesda dumbed down their own lisence and nobody noticed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
suibhne said:
since it's a broadly accepted view among game reviewers that Fallout is one of the pinnacles of the genre (whether or not they've ever played it...)

They heard of Fallout having the Bloody Mess feat, a post apocalyptic world, and mature themes like sex and prostitution. Oh, and some eerie post apoc athmosphere and dirty jokes.

They think this is all that made fallout successful, the setting. And while the setting was one of the reasons, a game with a good setting but totally screwed gameplay still ends up to be shit. And loved by reviewers.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
They heard of Fallout having the Bloody Mess feat, a post apocalyptic world, and mature themes like sex and prostitution. Oh, and some eerie post apoc athmosphere and dirty jokes..

Pfft. There are two groups at Beth: the ones who played FO2 and think it's all about sex and drugs and the ones who didn't played shit. Here's a preview of Fallout 3: random swearing and so many out-of-setting stuff you can't tell what is canon and what is not.

Krafter

Scholar
zioburosky13 said:
"rmerritt Says:

I so hope Fallout 3 is NOT turnbased. We aren’t running 60 mhz computers and RPGs don’t need to be turn based anymore.
God, I love the whole 'Turn-based is outdated!!' train of thought. Never fails to get a laugh.

Screw real-time chess. I'm holding out for first person shooter Tetris, that's next generation gaming! :roll:

Jason

chasing a bee
To be honest, I'd deal with real-time combat. In fact, if Bethesda feels comfortible with it and confident, then all power to them
CRPG.ru officially endorses real-time combat in Fallout 3! You heard it here first!

Voss

Erudite
To what? One guy's urge to have a public orgasm?
It comes across as nothing more than a circle jerk for Toxic.

Also..
Character stats affect game play. Most crpgs, character stats just affect how hard a puzzle or combat is. In Fallout 1 & 2, they really changed how the game is played.

Can't...grasp...stupidity...

Balor

Arcane
CRPG.ru officially endorses real-time combat in Fallout 3! You heard it here first!
And that comes from someone who played and liked Brigade E5! :P.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Cthulhu said:
th_Phauxxees_AriArgona_Argonian-Female.jpg

ZOMG Fallout 3 leaked concept art!!!!11 Gecko-human hybrid!!!11!! Rumors sez theyr liek de super muties!!!

u mean the endboss is a OMG LIZARD???? w00t!
Looks like Vipera will be buying Fallout 3 then.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
sheek said:
He does have a minor point about the 'jarring' effect of switching between combat and general world interface.
I find that statement very strange, since Fallout - unlike RoA, for instance - doesn't actually use a different interface for combat. The world view doesn't change.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Voss said:
To what? One guy's urge to have a public orgasm?
It comes across as nothing more than a circle jerk for Toxic.

One of the perks, sure. The idea, however, came from Vault Dweller, even if he decided not to participate actively, so you can call it from that point. Anyways, it's in the theoretical stage -- want an input or a piece of the pie, get on gamesurge #FOPatriots and toss some balls, if you got em'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom