Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fo3 has way better scenery than F:NV.
I'm no New Vegas fan boy but that's a load of shit. Not surprising coming from an animu phag in Russia. First people Putin should send to the reeducation camps.
I don't need to hide the lack of taste behind a rabid fanboyism, like you. So, if I like some detail in an otherwise shitty game, I just say so.

F:NV architecture is too generic, with very few exceptions (such as Helios One). FO3 consist mostly of Washington, and Washington looks great, especially after nuking.
Yeah... endless fucking subway tunnels and grey rubble.

Jozoz

Prophet
Let's see if they don't find a way to put Harold in the game again and fuck him up once more.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 3's lead artist has worked at Bethesda since the very beginning of the company.

What's interesting is that he developed two adventure games practically on his own and got Bethesda to publish it.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Fallout 3's lead artist has worked at Bethesda since the very beginning of the company.

What's interesting is that he developed two adventure games practically on his own and got Bethesda to publish it.

What games were those ? Are they any good ?

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, the art direction in Fallout 3 ins't bad - I think they managed to sucessfully get the art style down, even if there were mistakes.

This. I was impressed with what they did for FO3. They really only had a few isometric games to base their 3D assets from. The story for FO3 felt more "inspired-by" than "sequel." I loved everything else tho. Probably why I'm still playing FO3 and FNV.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fo3 has way better scenery than F:NV.
I'm no New Vegas fan boy but that's a load of shit. Not surprising coming from an animu phag in Russia. First people Putin should send to the reeducation camps.
I don't need to hide the lack of taste behind a rabid fanboyism, like you. So, if I like some detail in an otherwise shitty game, I just say so.

F:NV architecture is too generic, with very few exceptions (such as Helios One). FO3 consist mostly of Washington, and Washington looks great, especially after nuking.
Yeah... endless fucking subway tunnels and grey rubble.

Seriously, are we arguing over this? I thought we had at least some points established. I'm no Obsidian nor FNV fanboy either, but FNV > FO3, under every possible point of view. No exceptions.

This. I was impressed with what they did for FO3. They really only had a few isometric games to base their 3D assets from. The story for FO3 felt more "inspired-by" than "sequel." I loved everything else tho. Probably why I'm still playing FO3 and FNV.

Stop playing FO3, that game is shit and I don't believe any mod can save it. That game is bad for you.

The problem of the FO3 story, I feel, is that they tried to connect it to the previous Fallouts, but the connection was handed horribly.

Brotherhood of Steel in the other side of the continent? Ok, I can see the Brotherhood doing that.
But why is the Enclave here as well? I blew them to hell in the last game. Just thirty years later and they're ready to rock? Bullshit.
Why there are freaking Super Mutants Yellow Orcs here? Yeah I know, stupid vault with modified FEV (totally stolen from FOBOS, btw - except at least the excuse there is better: Vault-Tec stole that shit). But in the end, the whole mystery of the east-coast Super Mutants never pays off. They are simply huge targets and walking xp/loot, Falloutish orcs essentially. They have zero story relevance - you could delete all teh Super Orcs from the game, mentions and all, and the story & gameplay would actually improve.

The main quest is also simply horrible. Too linear, too much "you must go there, talk to guy X, do what he wants, then he tells you". Then you have to pass a linear path full of raiders/feral ghouls/super mutants, which you MUST shoot because fuck your pacifistic playthrough. Then there are elements - Water Purifier, GECK, it reads like someone threw the Act I of the first two Fallout games together in a vat of FEV until it emerged as the Quest-Centaur. Not to mention all the thou musts - why should I, say, give a shit about the Brotherhood of Steel, or Three Dog? Why I can't hack a terminal in Vault 112 and tell Von Braun to suck my 8==============>?

The game then heads into Full Retardville once you get captured by the Enclave, through. Why Eden gives the player his weapons back? Why Autumn panics and rebels because Eden freed the player and sent him to talk to him? Why Autumn's crew evacuate the base instead of, I don't know, telling his troops to cap Eden's bots in the face, then desactivating Eden with the code Autumn had?

Then you HAVE (HAVE!) to go with the Brotherhood and tell them the Enclave got the purifier. Even through they're not (and you know this) going to use it for anything but distributing water. Extra points if you are going to dump the death-virus on it. So they get their giant death bot from storage just so they can stop the Enclave from pressing a button and delivering clean, free water to everyone, so that the Brotherhood can deliver clean, free water for everyone. You can't even join Colonel Autumn, whose evil plan was... wait for it... Distributing free, clean water and using it to recreate american civilization. The horror.

Then there's the original ending, which is a new level of retardry on its own. Even the bethdrones could't defend that heap of shit. Doesn't help that if you say "fuck it", you get called a coward - even through one of your friends (who could do it, no problem) refuses.

Sidequests are retarded too, the only quests I remember being actually good are Tenpenny Tower and You Gotta Shoot 'Em In The Head.

Drax

Arcane
There is no doubt NV is superior, after all it is My Favourite Game of All Time.
As I said, FO3 was done as a CoD RPG, pretty much. There's really no choice to have consecuences for. There are predetermined "good guys" and "bad guys", in a typical kwan form.
Also, muh gigantobot.

pippin

Point Lookut has a tribal/hippie kool aid cult and chinese spies. The Pitt had a civil war with slavery and biological experiments. Both were more interesting than the mutant conflict in 3.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, the art direction in Fallout 3 ins't bad - I think they managed to sucessfully get the art style down, even if there were mistakes.

You're easily impressed, child

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
I should have elaborated further. I like what they did visually. I play FO3 (with Tale of Two Wastelands) to derp about exploring the locations. While I do enjoy FO3, I cannot defend the storyline.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They had some cool concept art, I agree, but it all look like shit in-game because Gamebryo cannot into colour.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda should just release a sandbox game without storylines and stuff like that. After playing like 5 of their games I can't understand if they even tried to think of a decent story.
Just give the player 100 skills and weaponz and armorz and crafting and let them loose in some huge place with thousands of randomly generated mobs and npcs and you're done.
I mean people will buy this shit anyway, why are you even making it so hard on yourselves?

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
I should have elaborated further. I like what they did visually. I play FO3 (with Tale of Two Wastelands) to derp about exploring the locations. While I do enjoy FO3, I cannot defend the storyline.

But it's one of the worst-looking games of the past decade.

That's a bit hyperbolic. It's also 6 1/2 years old at this point. I may not be a graphics whore (can't max out graphics on damn near any game on my PC, anyway), but I don't see the issue with its graphics vs. age.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

But it's one of the worst-looking games of the past decade.

That's a bit hyperbolic. It's also 6 1/2 years old at this point. I may not be a graphics whore (can't max out graphics on damn near any game on my PC, anyway), but I don't see the issue with its graphics vs. age.

When it came out, it already looked several years out of date. The model quality is atrocious. The art "style" (there isn't one) and color pallette are horrendous. The animations are the worst in the industry.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
Subjective. The "quality" of the models I believe had more to do with the limits of the gamebryo engine. I could be mistaken, but as I understand it this allowed for people with low end PC's to play. The art style not only existed (50-60's pseudo-futuristic mixed with a kind of art deco architecture), but was good. Animations were ok, and got better with FNV. I'll conceded the color palette left something to be desired, but I wouldn't go as far as "horrendous."

baturinsky

Arcane
In F3 burnt out colours (kind of) worked, because it fitted with "WW2 chronicles" style visuals.
In F:NV monochrome gamma was completely out of place. It should have had F2-like full palette.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom