Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Krivol

Magister
Maybe not as shit as Fallout 3, but shit nonetheless.

So, you are a dreamer? It completely will outclass its predecessor in everything. Dual wielding, dual derpness. And in first DLC more funny Moira Brown.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That's impossible under Gamebryo.

Nothing to do with the engine, and everything to do with their animators' incompetence (or maybe they just don't give a shit, their audience doesn't seem to so why bother?).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's hypothetically possible for them to have better animations now than they did before now that they can ~blend~. Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion, though not a large one.

Luzur

Good Sir
2prdw5y.jpg

Fallout_3_blank_map.png

hurr durr

i cant place shit on those, is that the river at Cambridge?

RPGMaster

Savant
Knowing Bethesda, some elements from Skyrim will definitely make it into Fallout 4.
Things like Dual Wield, simplified mechanics and the (much needed IMHO) improved animation system.
Don't let the fanboys and (supposedly professional) journalists fool you, Fallout 4 is going to be shit. Maybe not as shit as Fallout 3, but shit nonetheless.

Hopefully not the fucking menu system.

RPGMaster

Savant
In an Obsidian game, the idea of having sex with a robot called "Fisto" is rightfully played up as a joke. In a BioWare game, they'd make it a deep and emotional exploration of one's own sexuality. How does a robosexual truly fit into a post-apocalyptic society? :obviously:

BioWare would give it its own comic book series.

Blasto_Eternity_is_Forever_cover.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bethesda also can't code climbable ladders. Do you really, really think the engine is the limiting factor?
They can, it's just a question of priorities and resource management. Spending time on making sure AI plays nice with ladders is time that can be spent elsewhere so they figure they can leave it by the wayside. No enemies in Divinity 2 can climb ladders. Your pet just immediately teleports up. Alpha Protocol is an example of a mismanaged game where all the awful erratic ladder behavior was left in.

See when you say cheap potshot things like this it leads me to believe you're a charlatan.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They can, it's just a question of priorities and resource management. Spending time on making sure AI plays nice with ladders is time that can be spent elsewhere so they figure they can leave it by the wayside. No enemies in Divinity 2 can climb ladders. Your pet just immediately teleports up. Alpha Protocol is an example of a mismanaged game where all the awful erratic ladder behavior was left in.

See when you say cheap potshot things like this it leads me to believe you're a charlatan.
Bethesda have specifically stated they have tried to put ladders in their games multiple times, failed, and then decided it wasn't worth their time... at least with Oblivion and Fallout 3, and possibly Skyrim as well. Now, I'm not saying it's an exceptionally easy thing to do. However, Gamebryo supports pathfinding across multiple levels (that is, floors above floors) and has no problem with it; that to me suggests it's not an engine limitation.

Now admittedly, the exact reason specified was that it caused AI problems, not that they couldn't perform a simple transformation operation on the Z axis. However, NPCs can say, fall down from a ledge, and figure out they're on the wrong plane to reach the player, so I'm not sure why this is such an insurmountable obstacle for Bethesda.

The fact that Bethesda cannot figure out how to have their AI navigate between multiple planes in situations where ladders are involved, yet somehow they thought to take on the massively complicated Radiant AI stuff in Oblivion is complete insanity and speaks both to their incompetence in programming as well as management and project direction.

I remember a mod for Oblivion that added Thief's arrows to the game, including a functional rope/vine arrow. There was no 3rd person animation of climbing though.

Luzur

Good Sir

Bethesda have specifically stated they have tried to put ladders in their games multiple times, failed, and then decided it wasn't worth their time... at least with Oblivion and Fallout 3, and possibly Skyrim as well. Now, I'm not saying it's an exceptionally easy thing to do. However, Gamebryo supports pathfinding across multiple levels (that is, floors above floors) and has no problem with it; that to me suggests it's not an engine limitation.

Now admittedly, the exact reason specified was that it caused AI problems, not that they couldn't perform a simple transformation operation on the Z axis. However, NPCs can say, fall down from a ledge, and figure out they're on the wrong plane to reach the player, so I'm not sure why this is such an insurmountable obstacle for Bethesda.

The fact that Bethesda cannot figure out how to have their AI navigate between multiple planes in situations where ladders are involved, yet somehow they thought to take on the massively complicated Radiant AI stuff in Oblivion is complete insanity and speaks both to their incompetence in programming as well as management and project direction.

usually, if you aim high and hit low, you recalibrate your aim and reload.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Spending time on making sure AI plays nice with ladders is time that can be spent elsewhere so they figure they can leave it by the wayside.
I streamlined that a bit. The AI can barely find its way around a rock as it is, it's not like the possible problems with ladders would've made any kind of a difference in the first place.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Random modders on the Nexus do it in their spare time. Bethesda simply cannot into animation.

I wonder if rumor that Howard hired his old college buddy as Bethesda's lead animator and refuses to fire him is actually true. Fact you can see the same fundamental problems with animations over the course of three TES games seems to support that theory.

:hearnoevil:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom