Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well I find the Legion to be much more realistic than what some people think. Not talking about the whole roman gimmick, but rather the organization, the hierachy, the authority, the discipline, the bigger-than-life leader...etc. In a post-apo world, these will prove to be really important assets.

To me the Legion is more viable than the NCR's make-believe democracy.

And by killing smart people - I mean - I am killing dozens of innocents, usually, to kill the stupid big boss at the top. Sure, the president of the NCR or the leader of the brotherhood might be a stupid idiot, but that doesn't mean the people under them are, nor does it mean their general cause is so bad that it must be obliterated.

When the Legion takes the Dam, it results in the followers of the apocalypse or The Kings being killed. Maybe they aren't exactly the "smartest" people around, but there's nothing evil or stupid about those factions. Julie Farkas alone is worth slaughtering a bunch of stupid rapists for, considering what good she does. What can the legion do again exactly? Protect some caravans? Big fucking deal. So you'll sacrifice the only good to come out of the wasteland to preserve capitalism?

You don't need to kill the BoS if you choose to side with no one, which is what any sane person would do. Not that the BoS are the most likable of factions, but they never do anything worthy of total slaughter, at least not in NV.

A lot of Legion sympathizers always bring up the argument of, "Well, there's no evidence in the game for the Legion to actually do X, I mean, once they can finally stop conquering the map, they'll settle down build a utopia for sure, because that's what Caesar wants."

While it's true they might allow gay/lesbian relationships (because Rome sort of allowed those things, I guess, I'm no historian, but that's my impression), it doesn't change the fact being a woman in Legion territory is akin to living a life of slavery. It's a joke really, why waste perfectly good minds or bodies on manual labor or breeding stock? But that's what you get for following a hypocrite's idea of a perfect society.

Rual even sticking with you through your Legion escapades is just a token sympathy card from Obsidian. Realistically, he should blow your brains out for siding with a bunch of women-abusing thugs. Raul is some kind of chivilrous desperado, that much is unequivocal.

Caesar's dream come true will result in brief empire, where commerce and growth ramp up under his reign, but as soon as he's dead, unless he's found some incredibly equally charismatic and powerful leader to walk in his footsteps, it's inevitable that such a large amount of territory will crumble under his laws. You can't sustain a society by denying technological advances (in part, the Romans died out due to fact their leaders all drank fucking lead like a bunch of uneducated simpletons - a shame nobody was doing any kind of research back then to realize how fucking stupid they were being) like the Legion do. You certainly can't maintain order when you're turning half of the population into slaves or forcing them to work like cattle, not when firearms have already been invented.

Julie doesn't die at the end of the legion playthrough, Caesar grants them all safe passage back to the NCR, and likely, even when and if he conquers NCR, they still wouldn't be killed, as there are plenty of people who live under Caesar's land, he being an ex follower himself has a soft spot, and, if you knew shit all about the legion, you'd know that Caesar believes in evolution. The legion is a foundation that Caesar believes can stand, as well as unite the wasteland under one banner than can flourish, at the end of the game it states that caesar had brought civilization to the mojave, without corruption and resource mongering, it's a civilization that can actually survive, and thrive. You know that the NCR is on the brink of death at the beginning of the game right? They have 10 years before they run out of water and die, which is why they're trying to steal Vegas from mr house, so they can support their stretched out dying animal of a nation.

The kings are a footnote, and the NCR attempt to get you to kill them as well. The only difference between the NCR and the legion is that one makes you do what it wants, and the other sits idly by as you go against it's wishes and cries when you do. You know you lose NCR fame for going against Moore's wishes?(It can actually prevent you from continuing if it goes over the threshold) I'll agree that NCR has one of the best endings, but that isn't because it's the best faction, it's entirely because of the courier. Without the courier the ncr kicks the followers out of the mojave, and slaughters everyone. One of the reasons that I sometimes play the NCR is because you have the freedom to disobey the NCR, that doesn't make it a good faction, that makes it a weak faction that can't stand on it's own.

Indeed, but not killing the BoS when independent will likely lead to them eventually taking over the area, they take helios one, and they won't let a robot control the strip, independent is chaotic as fuck.

The reason legion sympathizers bring it up is because it's true, it's not wishful thinking, it's how the legion operates, they aren't some new thing, they are one of the largest factions in fallout, with a massive amount of territory, and under their territory, people thrive, law is absolute, there is no crime, no monsters, no raiders, just safety. Where those minds like Julie Farkas can further progress instead of dealing with drug addicted lowlifes.

False, that isn't remotely true of Caesar's territory, the Fort in Vegas is a war camp, and the people in it are enemy PoWs, conquered tribals, and ncr, those women are not treated any worse than the men. They serve roles that they are fit to, let's not pretend that men and women are equal al'right? Manual labour is a necessity, it needs to be done, and breeding is also a necessity, they need soldiers, having another generation of warriors is superior to having a bunch of women get slaughtered in battle. Let's look at history, when have women EVER been soldiers? Modern day, sure, but we live in a relatively stable world with a relatively stable population.

Let me try to make an analogy, imagine that the legion is Sparta, and the territory under it is Greece, the legion is entirely military, nothing else, under it's law the people are free, they pay no taxes whatsoever, and the legion doesn't bother with them at all, save criminal scum and drug dealers/junkies. Did Sparta being a brutal military state that threw babies off a cliff in any way affect the progress of the greeks? Doesn't seem so, what with them being one of the most inventive and prosperous ancient civilizations in the history of mankind.(Something that Caesar knows very well.)

Nope, because Raul isn't a moron, he's lived in legion territory, and he understands how it works.

The legion doesn't deny technological advances, they're simply a crutch to the legion, and again, the legion and the people under the legion aren't the same thing, legion land has working power, that is a technological advancement, the legion attempted to procure energy weapons from the van graffs. At hoover dam, the legion has advanced weaponry, marksman carbines and anti material rifles, because they can afford the luxury in this situation, the reason things like medicine aren't allowed is because Caesar is breeding strong soldiers, he isn't coddling the weak, again, like Sparta. All of this is fine for a military state, the people will have technology, and in fact, they do, and nobody will mind. As for the legion crumbling, maybe so, all nations crumble eventually, but I don't think it will be any quicker than others, not given how expansive the wasteland is, when the continent is conquered there will be no use for the legion, and yeah, maybe it will crumble, but the negative affect will be felt amongst the enemies and tribals more than anyone of particular value. Anyhow, egyptians, romans, americans, almost all of europe, hell, the whole world, and almost all great nations have had slavery at some point, the greatest nations even more so than the small. Nor do firearms have anything to do with it, they've existed for a long time, and women weren't soldiers for most of it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's got nothing to do with realism, I just couldn't buy it. Caesar felt forced and I was just never "convinced".

Yes I know. And there are many people like you. There are numerous debates about everything from giant ants to radioactive water not being "convincing," and every time you guys say it has nothing to do with realism, and every time I just can't muster a fuck to give. There are a ton of things to criticize New Vegas for. Shit man, there's a ton of things to criticize the Legion idea for. I'll never understand writing 10 paragraphs about how dumb it is when the game has giant crab people in it though, sorry.

Borelli

Arcane
Main problem with the "we don't use guns because they are weak" policy is that Legion's enemies have up to that point been exclusively tribals(i think it is mentioned someone that Caesar is a conqueror of 1000 tribes, probably an exaggeration), who as we have seen use primarily melee and throwing weapons with guns being primarily what they were lucky enough to scavenge. In this environment no guns policy will not stop you from your victory because Legionnaires train hard for melee combat. But as soon as they reached the "every conscript has a rifle" Republic they should have melted instantly. Even at final battle Legion uses guns most likely because devs understood that they wouldn't pose a threat otherwise, although iron armor having DR 10 against firearms is also a stretch.

Also when i heard that true latins pronounce caesar as kaisar it blew my mind. It means that the only people who were pronouncing it properly were the Germans ... who were not conquered by Rome.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But they Did Conquered the Rome and then LARPED as HRE for centuries; Legion use weapons and guns its just train its warriors to not rely on technology as some sort of crutch NCR and House does nor to outright fetichise it BoS did. My only grasp with Legion is that because its being more down to earth and probable than NCR or F3 BoS/Enclave etc... they DON'T need Currier to win at all; They're going to win on its own if not for Hero ex Machina; its is shame that authors pusssied out and didn't make Courier being relived out of chip, turn into slave if womyn and/or crucified in end cut scene while Legion enters New Vegas. Legion well done Post ITZ faction and thus terrible story for RPG.

As to Mr House would be great to add option to make him into God Emperor after taking control of his sarcophagus; against His wishes of course. :troll:

Legion use weapons and guns its just train its warriors to not rely on technology as some sort of crutch
^Exactly, the legion is armed with guns all the time, the assassins have top tier weaponry, and it's commonplace to see contuberniums armed with cowboy repeaters and other guns. NCR troops are told to throw their guns off the dam wall so the legion doesn't loot them. The only real difference is that the legion are deadly with or without guns.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
But they Did Conquered the Rome and then LARPED as HRE for centuries; Legion use weapons and guns its just train its warriors to not rely on technology as some sort of crutch NCR and House does nor to outright fetichise it BoS did. My only grasp with Legion is that because its being more down to earth and probable than NCR or F3 BoS/Enclave etc... they DON'T need Currier to win at all; They're going to win on its own if not for Hero ex Machina; its is shame that authors pusssied out and didn't make Courier being relived out of chip, turn into slave if womyn and/or crucified in end cut scene while Legion enters New Vegas. Legion well done Post ITZ faction and thus terrible story for RPG.

As to Mr House would be great to add option to make him into God Emperor after taking control of his sarcophagus; against His wishes of course. :troll:

The Legion would likely win Vegas but they'd lose Caesar. Lanius is not a good ledader beyond being a general.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's specifically stated the legion conquered 88 tribes, with Graham doing most of it, and Lanius getting the last 20 or so (but those 20 were apparently horrific, some being Pyrrhic victories in his mind).

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's look at history, when have women EVER been soldiers?
In a Celtic history, warrior princesses or queens were a part of culture. Queen Boadicea has destroyed one of Roman provinces during her crusade against Romans, for example.

:hmmm:

Celts were conquered by both Romans and Ze Germanics not to mention Boudica loosing battle with Legion when her forces outnumbered Paulinus Suetonius 10:1 so we at least know why Wymyn Soldiers are bad idea. :troll: Also Forgot about Currier being the sole reason Keiser survival; only did this path once cause 1/3 of game was fixing shite for inept NCR so pro Legion play was too short for Commissar taste, let face it RPGs are about doing stuff instead of lazy/corrupt/stupid NPCs.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The Legion may have been outnumbered by 4:1 or 8:1 (40000 vs 10K or 5K, I can't remember) but they had the advantage in every way. Their Legionaries were hardened vets, professional soldiers, well armed and armored, while Boudica's rabble were lightly armored if at all, more barbarians than soldier, not disciplined, and not well armed mostly. Oh, they had spears and swords and such (not many swords, those were expensive) but their tactics were nothing. The Legion battle tactics were beyond superb, using a specific formation that essentially looked like four or five pyramids stacked against one another, like so: VVVV.

In the first wave alone, Boudica's so-called unstoppable celt horde, which up until then had only proven good at massacring civilians and local guards, lost an estimated 8000. This was due to Roman javelins, which had much greater range due to design and the Legion's constant training than the celt throwing spear. After that, the rabble simply attempted time and again to overwhelm them with sheer numbers, but the Legion's design allowed for this. As soldiers in front would get tired, they would quickly move to the back of the line while another behind them would step forward. This went on for hours upon fucking hours. The Romans used their Gladius blades with lethal effect, stabbing usually in the gut in an upwards motion, piercing the lungs and the heart at the same time. Any wound from one of these weapons was fatal. Their shield walls held because they had so many men behind them all pushing forward.

The total dead of the day:
The Legion 400 est. give or take.
Boudica 40000, or rather EVERYONE. The fucking Legion butchered everyone, including women and children, essentially paying Boudica back for what her forces had done to several Roman outposts and a city in the north. It was written by men who observed the act (professional documentarians and such, which traveled with armies for the purposes of recording victories or defeats) that many Legionaries and ranking officers were later horrified by the brutality they committed, particularly with slaying children.

Boudica's biggest mistake was attempting to meet the Romans in open combat, and in that battle cutting her own forces off from retreat. Her hubris was so great that she did not order the great caravans that trailed the army moved from behind them. In essence, this wall of caravans cut off any possible retreat, dooming her forces and their families to slaughter. She may have been a charismatic leader, but she was a poor military one and lacked foresight of any kind.

Now, if she had any kind of real tactics, and desired in securing her rule, she would have petitioned the Roman Emperor, who at the time I believe was Nero, to make her the equivalent of Roman governor and a full blow citizen, with a general as a husband. And she would have married her daughters off to roman generals as well.
Or, she could have, after the first few momentus victories after the rebellion began, dedicated her armies to fighting guerrilla campaigns and speedy shock attacks and nighttime raids, simply because she would have worn down the Roman momentum. Upon hearing of the slaughter of so many roman citizens and peoples under their protection in one of the cities, Nero was said to be willing to give up the Isles, such was his shock, could they not declare victory outright against the celts.
If Boudica had any sense of politics she could have used everything to her advantage and set herself up as a real queen of a nation.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes I know. And there are many people like you. There are numerous debates about everything from giant ants to radioactive water not being "convincing," and every time you guys say it has nothing to do with realism, and every time I just can't muster a fuck to give. There are a ton of things to criticize New Vegas for. Shit man, there's a ton of things to criticize the Legion idea for. I'll never understand writing 10 paragraphs about how dumb it is when the game has giant crab people in it though, sorry.
By this argument everything in the game is meaningless. There is no verisimilitude, and designers might as well just go Todd Howard and not worry about anything making any sense.

Who cares if the major factions are all fighting over doing the same thing? crab poeple

Who cares if anyone has realistic motivations? crab people

Who cares if you don't like the roman aesthetic? crab people

Who cares about [intelligence] so you fight the good fight with your voice? crab people

Who cares if VATS is overpowered ruins any sense of progression? crab people

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's got nothing to do with realism, I just couldn't buy it. Caesar felt forced and I was just never "convinced".

Because of people like you, we cannot have nice things.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was okay with the Legion (though I thought the main opposing faction could've been a bit more interesting), but I thought that dialogue with Caesar was really heavy-handed and not so good.

I wish they would've gotten MCA to write it instead :oops: Then, perhaps, the Legion could've been something worth actually talking about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
By this argument everything in the game is meaningless. There is no verisimilitude, and designers might as well just go Todd Howard and not worry about anything making any sense.

It's not that I don't prioritize verisimilitude, it's that your gauge for it is fucking stupid. You can accept crab people as legit, giant ants, what the fuck ever else, but you just can't accept that a dictator could model his tribal war party on Romans he read about in a book? Like... giant crabs with human features and mind rays of death, okay! Tribal dictator modeling his soldiers on Rome, nope, just can't make that leap!

It's a stupid line to draw. Sawyer wrote and explained the Legion plenty well enough to back his fictional, sociological point behind their existence. Some people just see Roman soldiers in America and go "har har har that's too dumb for me I'm out" completely ignoring that Fallout is about dumb exaggeration half the goddamn time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not that I don't prioritize verisimilitude, it's that your gauge for it is fucking stupid. You can accept crab people as legit, giant ants, what the fuck ever else, but you just can't accept that a dictator could model his tribal war party on Romans he read about in a book? Like... giant crabs with human features and mind rays of death, okay! Tribal dictator modeling his soldiers on Rome, nope, just can't make that leap!
I don't feel that strongly about the Legion, I'm just defending the other guy's position. You made a terrible argument.

It's a stupid line to draw. Sawyer wrote and explained the Legion plenty well enough to back his fictional, sociological point behind their existence. Some people just see Roman soldiers in America and go "har har har that's too dumb for me I'm out" completely ignoring that Fallout is about dumb exaggeration half the goddamn time.
If it's not in the game it doesn't exist. He should have made sure it was explained to satisfaction within the work itself.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't feel that strongly about the Legion, I'm just defending the other guy's position. You made a terrible argument.

My argument is people have a bug up their ass about Roman outfits more than any other silly, unrealistic aspect of the game, which baffles me.

If it's not in the game it doesn't exist. He should have made sure it was explained to satisfaction within the work itself.

Uh, I'm talking about what's in the game. Caesar explains his origins and motivations just fine.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Legion was beyond the Pale? What about resurrected Enclave and Lyons Brotherhood of Paladins? Sawyer and Company at least did the BoS jutice this time portryaing them as decadent techno fetishists although making Currier Sentinel Paladin after a few quests was :popamole:; Well kids those days needs instant gratification. To be honest Mr House a XIX century style Entrepreneur and Industry Baron acting outside Enclave which was the ultimate Government fused with Military-Industrial Complex in XXI century was much more killing the verisimilitude than Someone who read couple of books about Keiser and Rome and gone De Beli Galico on local tribes; And I do love Mr House character in game.

uaciaut

Augur
I was okay with the Legion (though I thought the main opposing faction could've been a bit more interesting), but I thought that dialogue with Caesar was really heavy-handed and not so good.

I wish they would've gotten MCA to write it instead :oops: Then, perhaps, the Legion could've been something worth actually talking about.

Always thought the dialogue with Caesar was some of the best written in the game and it made me legion a lot more likeable and believable. John Doman voicing him really helped as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom