Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Isn't it more likely that they'll add a ton more perks instead, Skyrim-style?
Yes, probably. YOU GET TWO PERKS A LEVEL NOW or something ridiculous like that. Come to think of it, I think I saw a perk related to augmenting one of your SPECIAL stats.

Alfons

Prophet
It's essentially the same boring implementation of SPECIAL as Fallout 3 only they're acknowledging that they have no idea how to make character systems. Perks were special in the first games because you only got one ever so often.
I think that's the least of the problems fallout 3 perks have. Perks in the good fallouts gave you things that could only be gained with perks. Now go and take a look at how many perks in F3 just give you an addition to a skill or an attribute. That was the first thing I noticed about that POS. The perks that don't are just so fucking generic and indistinct that there's barely any difference from character to character. And the worst thing, the worst fucking thing, is that they celebrate that. The DLC solidifies the fact that everyone becomes the same generic polymath asshole. "I don't think it's enough for them to have 100 in every skills. Fuck it! Let's make everyone have 10 in every attribute too." What in the fuck?

How is it possible that Todd doesn't age at all? Look at video with oblivion from 10 years ago, he looks the same as now.
Oh shit! :lol:
He must be the same race of alien as Keanu reeves.
Keanu-Reeves-Is-He-Immortal-650x331.jpg

Arulan

Cipher
Yes, probably. YOU GET TWO PERKS A LEVEL NOW or something ridiculous like that. Come to think of it, I think I saw a perk related to augmenting one of your SPECIAL stats.

The speculation I've read has hinted on a perk tree which is ordered both my levels and by SPECIAL in some way. Perhaps something like this:

nwQioXZ.jpg

based off of this image:

JeBQ1wU.jpg

Has there been any hint or confirmation of skill checks still being in the game?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's essentially the same boring implementation of SPECIAL as Fallout 3 only they're acknowledging that they have no idea how to make character systems. Perks were special in the first games because you only got one ever so often.
I think that's the least of the problems fallout 3 perks have. Perks in the good fallouts gave you things that could only be gained with perks. Now go and take a look at how many perks in F3 just give you an addition to a skill or an attribute. That was the first thing I noticed about that POS. The perks that don't are just so fucking generic and indistinct that there's barely any difference from character to character. And the worst thing, the worst fucking thing, is that they celebrate that. The DLC solidifies the fact that everyone becomes the same generic polymath asshole. "I don't think it's enough for them to have 100 in every skills. Fuck it! Let's make everyone have 10 in every attribute too." What in the fuck?

How is it possible that Todd doesn't age at all? Look at video with oblivion from 10 years ago, he looks the same as now.
Oh shit! :lol:
He must be the same race of alien as Keanu reeves.
Keanu-Reeves-Is-He-Immortal-650x331.jpg

No shit

10 years ago

402922-1197925872_00.jpg

Today

toddhowardga.jpg

He even has exact same hair.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Some trivia

Gamepro magazine named him to the Top 20 Most Influential People in Gaming over the last 20 years. He has also been named one of IGN’s Top Game Creators of All Time. He received one of the industry’s highest awards by being named Best Game Director by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences in 2012. In 2014 he received the Lara of Honor, Germany’s lifetime achievement award for gaming. Todd Howard is one of a small amount of developers to create three consecutive Game of the Year award winners with Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim.

He is a frequent speaker at industry events, and his games have been featured in everything from Newsweek, CNN, USA Today, and The today show, to magazine covers worldwide. Howard has stated that Bethesda's philosophy for the Elder Scrolls games is to allow people to "live another life, in another world."

Great games are played not made. – "You can have the greatest design document ever made, and you're going to change 90 percent of it as soon as you play the game.

"Keep it simple. – "Doing something really well takes time, more time than you think it will. Simple systems acting together create complexity that players can appreciate.

"Define the experience. – "Don't define your game by a list of bullet points… define it by the experience you want people to have.

50 years from now Todd will be known to world as a cultural icon like Elvis presley

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Oh oh wait, he's perfect as the teenage antagonist from an off-brand Karate Kid movie. You know, the shithead from the rich kid dojo.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
ok ok ok this Todd quote has to be the quote of the century

if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables.

:hmmm::hmmm:

Alfons

Prophet
The brilliance just oozes from the screen as I read it. :lol:
I'm just starting to realize that I actually like Beth. As a gaming company they're shit but as a joke they're pretty good.

pippin

Yeah it does look like the iphone game. Fallout 4 will be Skyrim with Guns and there's no real mystery about that.

pippin

Fallout 4 will be Skyrim with Guns and there's no real mystery about that.
At this point I wish we were getting "Skyrim with Guns". At least Skyrim didn't force you to play as Mild-Mannered, Good-Natured Straight Man Dude. :argh:

To be fair, the female character looks nice this time. At least she looks somewhat human. Besides, she looks decided and commited, while the dude always looks like he's sad for some reason, as if he knos he has a very small dick. If I ever play the game, I'm going to pick the female character first.

Plus, she will be voiced by Courtenay Taylor :oops:

Alfons

Prophet
Perks were extremely banal and lame in FO3 because they showed up at each level. The perks weren't that good either. With skill perks, the designers in Bethesda may want to add a extra element of choice - Skill or perk? - or simply cover their lack of creativity at making good perks.
tumblr_ld4iohFj2i1qzsj6ro1_500.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom