Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hey guys... More like CUX amirite?

:troll:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The fan community is going wild over a new leak:

bZQsnLi.png
These are console controls, they sucks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I typed into search bar when I was trying to find latest rumors Failout 4. Which uniquely qualifies me to write Fallout 4 preview. Have they offered more than on reviewer's key? (I'm not entirely sure I'd have enough time to play it long enough to write actual review.)
Whisky

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They have offered us a dozen review keys and a dinner with Todd Howard at a Burger King of our choice.

Emil was still in blobber mode during FO3, yes? Maybe the lower cholesterol will give him a little brain power to create things like...plot...and logic?

Sad thing is you can tell they're dying to make battles completely epic in scale at the climax of every TES or Fallout, but their loyalty to Gamebryo's zombified corpse (and console limitations of course) sabotages it at every step. The Skyrim Civil War, the conflict between the BoS and the Enclave, the Daedric Invasion....all talked up, all involving about a dozen people. Same with Obsidian and their work on New Vegas, the Legion/NCR conflicts are anemic unless you're using mods to beef them up.

pippin

New Vegas at least had some random patrols popping here and there. In 3, after 20 hours I think I saw two Enclave patrols and One (1) Outcast Brotherhood patrol. And zero Brotherhood patrols. You just get attacked by the wildlife, some raiders and some mutants, and occasionally by the Talon Company. I thought the Talon Company were some sort of guerilla group working for the Enclave, but it seems they were just random mercs.

New Vegas at least had some random patrols popping here and there. In 3, after 20 hours I think I saw two Enclave patrols and One (1) Outcast Brotherhood patrol. And zero Brotherhood patrols. You just get attacked by the wildlife, some raiders and some mutants, and occasionally by the Talon Company. I thought the Talon Company were some sort of guerilla group working for the Enclave, but it seems they were just random mercs.

Talking about the Outcast patrol that wanders by Vault 101? Usually encountered them while testing out new mods.

Seems likely most patrols we would have seen just get gobbled up by Deathclaws or unfortunately spawned robot blobs. Protectrons by themselves are meh, but two of them backed up by a Mister Gutsy and a Sentry Bot suddenly becomes a problem for NPCs. I know the Merchants, Vault 101 refugees, Big Town inhabitants and a couple other wanderer types eventually die this way.

Last edited:
BTW the Talon Company are meant to hunt down players with Good karma, generally if you do stuff to make the Wasteland a better place that's what triggers them. Maybe one of the 'Evil' folks puts a bounty on you, or they just hear through the grape-vine that you're playing hero and *bam*. Their description changes a bit depending on what triggers them. The Regulators meanwhile are their counterparts who go after people with Negative karma. They like to play up the old school lawman motif.

Because heaven forbid differing play styles result in a divergent experience.

pippin

Thing is you're never told who is after you. The contrats these Talon Mercs carry just state who you are and that you should die. I cringed when I realized the Regulators were there, but weren't supposed to be the *actual* Regulators from FO1.
Edit: The patrols actually fight wildlife and robots all the time, but I haven't seen actual combat between the Brotherhoods. Or between the Brotherhood and the Enclave before the ending, for that matter. You do get to see merchants and NCR fighting Legion troops in NV.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sad thing is you can tell they're dying to make battles completely epic in scale at the climax of every TES or Fallout, but their loyalty to Gamebryo's zombified corpse (and console limitations of course) sabotages it at every step. (...)
It's not really Gamebryo's fault, which contrary to the popular belief is not that bad of an engine, but the incompetent programmers. Once you start modding for Bethesda games and get inside their guts, what becomes clear is that there's an unprecedented amount of shoddiness involved in every aspect of their design.

Fuck, not even that, all you need is the ability to observe; just look at this fuckness for example, look at it:
JkLGWnW.jpg

They were too lazy to even make a separate skeleton for female meshes, so they used male armature (hence the wide shoulders).

The contracts these Talon Mercs carry just state who you are and that you should die. /QUOTE]

Which they modified a bit and promptly dropped into Skyrim. "Hey, why do these thugs and assassins keep trying to parry my sword with their face? Hm? A note?"

Fuck, not even that, all you need is the ability to observe; just look at this fuckness for example, look at it:
JkLGWnW.jpg

They were too lazy to even make a separate skeleton for female meshes, so they used male armature (hence the wide shoulders).

Well if they couldn't be bothered making separate skeletons for Argonians or Khajiit in later TES titles....

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why bother? Modders will fix it anyway. And most players just don't care (because they use first-person view).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Pete Hines's twitter is a nightmare right now with dozens of people pestering him about why they're not releasing FO4 early if it's already gone gold, why retailers aren't sending out copies early if they're Steam protected anyway, and why physical pre-orders can't pre-load.

Still, here's the latest news on modding:

In-game cross-platform mod browser :incline:

Possibly no way of sharing mods on third party sites :incline:

Possibly no modding at launch at all :incline:

The modding scare has come up every release since Oblivion. Bethesda plays it close to the chest to an absurd degree and people all over the internet freak out and start declaring they're not going to buy it without mod support. Then Beth finally caves a couple days beforehand and the very same people people chime in with a relieved "I knew it." Skyrim's was about a day from going nuclear.

Bethesda would have to be pants-on-head retarded to hinder a feature that adds such longevity to their games, and keep them in the press.

:hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Goddammit you guys.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Possibly no modding at launch at all :incline:

Whoops, I missed this:

Early next year we’ll release for free the new Creation Kit for the PC. This is the same tool we use in the studio. You'll be able to create your own mods and share them with others. We’re especially excited these same mods will then be coming to Xbox One, and then PlayStation 4.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-launch-and-beyond/2015/09/08/22

So it works as usual. Creation Kit is confirmed, but will only become available in 2016.

pippin

Bethesda plays it close to the chest to an absurd degree and people all over the internet freak out and start declaring they're not going to buy it without mod support.

I've seen people saying they didn't bought TESO because they couldn't mod it. In a similar way, they say they buy single player Bethesda games because they can mod them.
I'm quite worried about the Nexus, though. Losing it would be like losing the NWN Vault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom