Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Ships 12 Million Copies in One Day, Breaks all Records in history of video games

Fairfax

Arcane
:baka::badnews:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Clearly there's no need to invest in a new engine or anything, when the current one is performing so admirably sales-wise.

Severian Silk

It had the highest number of concurrent Codex players ever, too. Just sayin'.

Sykar

Arcane
vomit-o.gif

I do not know why but this kind of news leaves a bad taste in my mouth suddenly.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wasn't this the place that was talking about a crash in the gaming industry being on the horizon? GTA: V, Call of Duty, and Fallout: 4 didn't seem to get the memo.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wasn't this the place that was talking about a crash in the gaming industry being on the horizon? GTA: V, Call of Duty, and Fallout: 4 didn't seem to get the memo.
If anyone said that hes a retard, but sounds more like wishful thinking than an actual statement.

m_s0

Arcane
More proof the that Codex has lost touch with what makes games fun.
It's not a Codex sentiment (not just, anyway), and the observation is not entirely without merit. A model which results in games selling millions of copies and somehow still failing to recoup their budgets - not to mention making any money - is not sustainable in the long run.

Ideally, you want to avoid every single AAA game being the equivalent of Cleopatra, especially if you're making several of those a year.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
games selling millions of copies and somehow still failing to recoup their budgets - not to mention making any money
Does anyone still believe this bullshit? How many major publishers went bankrupt, say, last year? The industry is choke full of people who laugh all the way to the bank yet keep telling us how poor they and their companies are.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I don't know, the article said shipped not sold.
Shipped doesn't mean all that copies of the game is sold to the customer, no ?

m_s0

Arcane
games selling millions of copies and somehow still failing to recoup their budgets - not to mention making any money
Does anyone still believe this bullshit? How many major publishers went bankrupt, say, last year? The industry is choke full of people who laugh all the way to the bank yet keep telling us how poor they and their companies are.
Bankrupcy is just the most extreme result. Myself, I don't believe there's going to be a crash in the foreseeable future. I would like to see the major publishers making cheaper games, though. Might allow for more creativity to shine through.
I don't know, the article said shipped not sold.
Shipped doesn't mean all that copies of the game is sold to the customer, no ?
It still sold well, I bet. But yeah, and that's how the current gen console sales figures were reported as well if I remember correctly.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Myself, I don't believe there's going to be a crash in the foreseeable future.
There won't be a crash because there's no reason for it. When you make a game with bland landscapes, dumbed down systems and fanfic-grade story using a 10 year old engine, the game itself is dirt cheap and you're free to spend 90% of your budget on marketing. FO4 is just the most notorious example but in truth every AAA publisher has been using the very same model for years. The only scenario where this model could be unsustainable is people losing interest in AAA games completely. But that won't happen because 5 years from now there'll be millions of new teenagers ready to listen to the same lies and spend their parents' money on the same garbage.

And as for the publishers not breaking even: LOL, just LOL. It's just what you're supposed to tell the public these days. You see the only actual change brought by the Occupy movement (I know that Occupy was an unfocused unorganized protest started by naive dumbfucks and hijacked by attention whores who turned it into a typical popularity contest) is that "social responsibility" crap doesn't fly anymore. So the new corporate modus operandi is to pretend that you're not as wealthy as you actually are.

Last edited:

pippin

The video game crash was a problem of marketing, not development. Also it mostly happened in America, the rest of the world kept making videogames.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If anyone said that hes a retard, but sounds more like wishful thinking than an actual statement.

True, but it's also true that costs and expectations have resulted in a new console generation where quite a few are relying on remakes/remasters, releasing multiplatform games on not just the xbone/ps4 but the last generation, or bowing out of the AAA space altogether.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The "AAA crash" was a meme a couple of years ago when THQ and Atari went bankrupt, Bioshock Infinite took too long to develop and undersold, etc. It's not something people are talking about today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom