Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Ships 12 Million Copies in One Day, Breaks all Records in history of video games

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
THQ and Atari
Ironically, THQ was doing OK back when they were focusing on the PC market. Atari is a barely animated corpse... and it was no different 20 years ago. Which kind of proves that in this industry you can stay afloat even if you're in a permanent coma.

Bioshock Infinite ... undersold
Wikipedia said:
According to Take Two, the game has sold more than 6 million copies as of May 2014, and 11 million a year later.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
are relying on remakes/remasters, releasing multiplatform games on not just the xbone/ps4 but the last generation, or bowing out of the AAA space altogether.
This is because they cant make a game worth playing to save their lives.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
THQ and Atari
Ironically, THQ was doing OK back when they were focusing on the PC market. Atari is a barely animated corpse... and it was no different 20 years ago. Which kind of proves that in this industry you can stay afloat even if you're in a permanent coma.

Bioshock Infinite ... undersold
Wikipedia said:
According to Take Two, the game has sold more than 6 million copies as of May 2014, and 11 million a year later.

It needed to sell a lot more than that to break even. The proof of its failure was when 2k shut down the studio and gave Levine a golden parachute, despite the fact that he was to blame (see that article where they talk about how he wasted a lot of money by constantly changing his mind after work had been done) because he's a big name.

are relying on remakes/remasters, releasing multiplatform games on not just the xbone/ps4 but the last generation, or bowing out of the AAA space altogether.
This is because they cant make a game worth playing to save their lives.

Sturgeon's Law.

I thought The Phantom Pain was pretty good but Konami looked at the price tag and said "to hell with this, we're only going to make Pachinko, mobile games, and this one console sports series from now on."

Zeriel

Arcane
Clearly there's no need to invest in a new engine or anything, when the current one is performing so admirably sales-wise.

It's all about marketing, the product is rather irrelevant.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey I also ought to have mentioned the financial woes that companies like EA and Square Enix were going through at the time. They've gotten better since then.

Fairfax

Arcane
Game sold ~1.7 million (retail) in the US in its first month. Skyrim did 2.8-3 million by comparison. Not nearly as successful as Bethesda wanted, considering they shipped 12 million in its first day.
:M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Game sold ~1.7 million (retail) in the US in its first month. Skyrim did 2.8-3 million by comparison. Not nearly as successful as Bethesda wanted, considering they shipped 12 million in its first day.
:M

Where are you getting these numbers?

Fairfax

Arcane
NPD thread on neogaf.
It sold 70% more than FNV, and FNV sold 1.01 million in its first month covered by NPD.

EDIT:
Apparently those numbers were off, these are the real numbers:

Bethesda Softworks's 'Fallout 4' sold 2.54 million unit sales including bundle sales, which sold below than November 2011's last marquee Bethesda release 'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' which managed 2.833 million in November 2011 when you combine the normal and COLLECTOR'S ED SKU.

Last edited:
Clearly there's no need to invest in a new engine or anything, when the current one is performing so admirably sales-wise.

It's all about marketing, the product is rather irrelevant.

Look at the comments of a couple Fallout 4 Youtube videos and someone will mention the tired, worn out engine. Then another will comment as they have for the past couple weeks "Oh, the engine that's only had TWO games?! Right."

Then a third calls the second a retard for not realizing the Creation Engine is really a frankensteined Gamebryo and the squabble begins again. A lot of people believe the Creation Engine bullshit.

pippin

A lot of people believe the Creation Engine bullshit.

I'd say only shills still believe on that bullshit. Granted, Beth shills are still abundant on the internet, but a great number of people also started to see the reality between the cracks. I guess this time it's just hard to ignore the shortcomings.

They're the exact same people that think this launch was a good one. It's well optimized! Tell that to the Xbone owners with the occasional zero fps, and the PS4 owners with stutter-steps and people who play it on PC and have to turn down Godrays and Shadow Distance with a 980 ti to get 60 at 1080p.

Zeriel

Arcane
Not to mention if you do get good performance (i.e over 60 fps) the game logic starts to break down. There's no defending this shitpile with reason, but Bethesda still has legions of their new fans to call upon to do so regardless.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Not to mention if you do get good performance (i.e over 60 fps) the game logic starts to break down. There's no defending this shitpile with reason, but Bethesda still has legions of their new fans to call upon to do so regardless.

That'll get fixed as soon as their programmers figure out how to do ladders. Gots to have priorities, after all.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Probably just in time with animators figuring out spears too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom