Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
An RPG taking place entirely within a full-sized vault rather than one sized to fit within a larger game world is a fun concept

No, it's not.

I don't think I ever bothered to respond to this initially.

The current contender for possible greatest RPG of all time, Colony Ship, varies in concept only by degrees from an RPG set within a full-sized vault. If you're not excited for Colony Ship, you're probably retarded.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Fallout 3 has far worse dialogue and plot than Fo76. Otherwise they are pretty even it seems. Havent played Fo76 though and i really want to forget Fo3. Moira, Little Lamplight etc i hope benzos will wash it away.

If you haven’t played 76 how do you know it has a better plot and dialogue than F3?

I read FO76 doesnt have NPCs, just some holotapes. It cant be that bad since there not much to it

juliushorst

Literate
Are you this fucking retarded all the time or did you fail to take some kind of medication?
Pills dispenser's empty, so...
1. No. Video games are not movies, books, etc. They operate with different expectations and run on different models. A success in books isn't a success in movies isnt a success in video games. Shut up. Please.
So aren't movies made with a sequel, a prequel and a reboot already planned or in the making the day of the first screening? Because that's where we started - something being sold not as a single work but as a part of a franchise.
2. I don't care why you bought the fucking mass effect games man. That has nothing to do with my argument. Also, the fact that you bought ME3 and thought it was a "decent action game" is a testament to how embarrassing your post truly is - you've such shit taste that you think an objectively bad action game is "decent". No, idiot. ME3 is a lazy rushjob and anyone with a brain can see that. Just because you're able to complete it with a minimum of fuss doesn't make it a good game. The game has zero depth to any of its many tired and boring action sequences, it actually introduced dead-boring cliches from other shooters nobody else had used for years like turret sections and none of the challenges were interesting, loaded with depth(as in, options for completion), nor made use of the player's different abilities. ME3 is literally popamole and nothing else. At least ME2 had some challenge to it, god damn.
From mechanical point of view it wasn't very different from 1 and 2, story was shittiest of the three, C&C came down to some shitty numeric value, turrets were there but retarded combat vehicle wasn't. And my standards for action games are low indeed - love Deadly Premonition, played Ride to Hell for laughs until a game-crippling bug ruined my hopes of finishing it.
3. Literally all of this was true in ME3's case too but it still sold 800k copies in a day, dude. ME3's demo was a fucking embarrassing joke. We learned that you can't holster your gun, the new running animation looked like dog shit, the background was filled with little 2d sprites that looked like ass, the story LITERALLY MADE NO SENSE, with the reapers ATTACKING EARTH FIRST and the game opening with the protagonist being summoned to a council to...explain to them that the reapers are coming and they're fucked. Seriously. Apparently a gigantic fleet of robotic space squids caught them COMPLETELY BY SURPRISE TOO. ME3 was confirmed, guaranteed dog shit from day one. And yet, it had dumb-asses like you going "but but but I love Mass Effect 2(and 1 is ok) and stuff!" That's why it sold well. Mass Effect 3 was shit. Its initial sales bump was because people liked ME2. ME:A was shit, but that doesn't matter, because as I said, if it was golden awesomeness poured onto a fucking disk it would still have under-performed because they intentionally pissed on the fans with the previous game. Because good action games like Devil May Cry 3 sold worse than the predecessor because the predecessor was shit.

Care to try again?
All of this is true but I still believe Andromeda would've doubled the amount of sold copies if it was 'Andromeda: New Adventures of Shepard and the Gang'. I mean, look at how ME 1 begins: you are on a mission, you fuck it up and a super-duper agent is killed, nobody believes you when you tell everybody what happened, you convince them and all of sudden they promote you to super-duper agent but still sort-of don't believe you and give you almost no resources but don't mind you hangign around with a psycho holding a grudge against the government for using his kind and then killing their babies, a space gypsy, a disgraced paranoid official and so on. Everybody in ME universe is sort of retarded and nobody cared in 1 and 2.
People launched ME 3 demo and saw what they expected - Shepard, the ship, giant squid robots, the council and a ghost child on top of that, so the feels.
People launched ME: A preview and saw no Shepard, no ship (well, different ship) and some retarded space orcs. And obese blue lesbian.
Sure, ME 3 being trash made people cautious but ME: A being trash was a big factor too.
And you give average players too much credit. For most ME 3 is a dated meme and ME as a series is a beloved classic.

juliushorst

Literate
1. Nobody was making projects like ME in the day. Attempts that were made flopped: Advent Rising was one. For film, you're talking about a production model that has never worked. Even the marvel films didn't start this way. It was after they kept selling that people were talking about an "MCU". The only other company that did this was Lucasfilm with the prequels, and thats because there was a built in franchise. Nobody just goes 'lets make a trilogy'. Mass Effect was literally the first game to even try this and do well.
Fucking Ghostbusters 2016 ended with a sequel hook. There are like three sequels to Avatar in the making. Star Wars reboot had spin-offs planned for years ahead. Andromeda was rumored to have a sequel in pre-production before the backlash. Sure it often fails but almost every studio has wet dreams about starting a franchise.
Yes, I'm ashamed of everything I said BUT Deadly Premonition. Deadly Premonition is one of the best things ever.
Me: Video games get a huge bump from their previous game in the series. Good reception means a higher initial bump. Here's some examples. Also, some games might start with a huge bump from their initial sales and then get a massive drop in sales from their lack of quality. Here's some examples.
You: yeah but like, what if the game is bad? then no matter how good the last game was it still won't do well.
Me: :what: Eeeeeyup, that's what I said exactly, thank you for repeating my argument back to me
Your argument: FO76 being the utter shit it is will take a toll on futute Bethesda projects.
My argument: FO76 being the utter shit it is will take some toll on future Fallout projects but if Bethesda makes something their fanboys like (retarded 'epic' story, 'fun' NPCs and so on) they will minimalize damage done to Fallout and other stuff like TESVI won't be harmed. Wait a few years and hate for FO76 will be replaced by nostalgia for FO3/4 for many of those who liked FO3/4.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh... surprised to say this, but while the rant "review" video by Angry Joe was his usual style, but more lazy because it is Fallout 76, the review discussion actually offers some more details (also about upcoming patches) and insight and, well, discussion:

Edit:
lol... someone will have to explain the shit ratings to me. Are some of you really so blindly prejudiced that the mere mention of AJ will send you into full derp mode? Even if the video itself actually offers some nice details? :lol:

Last edited:

ZeniBot

Cipher
Edit:
lol... someone will have to explain the shit ratings to me. Are some of you really so blindly prejudiced that the mere mention of AJ will send you into full derp mode? Even if the video itself actually offers some nice details? :lol:

Not directed at you, AJ seems to be cutting Bethesda too much slack in that post-commentary and thinks that the studio can "change its ways" BULLSHIT. Bethesda is a total lost cause. Its simply the fuckers not giving them enough accountability still. This is the time to draw the line in the sand instead of bargaining with the assholes. He's not going hard enough, neither is Jim Sterling and its entirely due to their "connections" with the studio. We're sick and tired of this shit, just let the bastards burn to death and be done with it already.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edit:

Not directed at you, AJ seems to be cutting Bethesda too much slack in that post-commentary and thinks that the studio can "change its ways" BULLSHIT. Bethesda is a total lost cause. Its simply the fuckers not giving them enough accountability still. This is the time to draw the line in the sand instead of bargaining with the assholes. He's not going hard enough, neither is Jim Sterling and its entirely due to their "connections" with the studio. We're sick and tired of this shit, just let the bastards burn to death and be done with it already.
I agree, but he just outright admits being a Bethesda fanboy (and, iirc, so did Jim Sterling).
From a Bethesda fanboy, this is as much outrage as you will get after one abysmal failure like this.

If Bethesda messes up again like that, say with ESVI or Starfield, I think those fanboys will start to agree with you, too ;)

"hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned"

Zenith

Arbiter
As baffling as it is for me to see people really care about F76, it pales in comparison with them spending a full hour listening to angry joe rant about it. I can't even fit this otherwordly concept in my head: people like this actually exist, hundreds of thousands of them at that.
That "how do you know it's shit, it hasn't even come out yet" comic doesn't show the part where a youtube critic arrives and criticizes the bouquet. Goes on for a couple thousand panels. (Finds it good for what it is in the end)
Do you really expect people coming to this thread for quick drama & popcorn to sit through that?

Anyway, with regards to F76 I'll just quote Todd:
"You are what you play"

Deadass

Savant
47368672_322310721937084_987251735393206272_n.jpg

lol

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/462201-fallout-todd-howard-mod
Fallout Todd Howard Mod Lets You Crucify Its Creator
A Fallout Todd Howard mod lets you crucify the game’s director alongside Bethesda’s VP of Global Marketing Pete Hines in Fallout: New Vegas. Fans of the Fallout series of games are always up for a good joke and a recent mod by Keylancer13 and Rexus3 on NexusMods might take things a little too far. The “Crucified Degenerates” mod is a simple enough affair, swapping out a couple of unimportant crucified NPCs with two of the more well-known executives at Bethesda. This Fallout Todd Howard mod lets players get a bit of virtual revenge on two of the franchise’s more prominent public figures.

The Fallout Todd Howard mod adds Mr. Howard to a location in Cottonwood Cove. Mr. Hines is placed elsewhere in the game at Nipton. Both of these locations are held by Caesar’s Legion, a faction in Fallout: New Vegas that emulates ancient Roman culture in many respects. One of the practices that they bring to the future apocalypse is that of crucifixion, a painful (and often fatal) method of torture where the condemned are hung from their arms on a cross-shaped pole.

An alternate version of the Fallout Todd Howard mod replaces Mr. Howard with Emil Pagliarulo, the lead writer and lead designer of Fallout 3. The plot of Fallout 3 is a contentious subject in the community, especially due to the ending of the main storyline which railroads players into a situation that could have been solved in a number of other ways.
Fallout-Todd-Howard-Mod.jpg

Reapa

Doom Preacher
best effort was to make it Oblivion with guns.
The irony is: FO3 was called "Lolblivion with guns", but it didn't really deserve it. Beth made quiet a lot of effort to bring a bit of Fallout to the new (console) kids, main complaints were writing and retardo locations like Megaton or Little Lamplight. But mechanically it was pretty decent design given what they had at hand. Look at how Obsidian fixed those writing problems and popped out a really good game with F:NV.

Fallout 4 on the other hand suffered from Skyrim's yuge success. Everyone else wanted to make "a game like Skyrim", obviously Bethesda's leadership as well. Beth has adopted a "no risk, copy what other successful games introduced" approach for a while now. Creativity seems to be overruled by an analysis of cleared achievments, popular mods and a vocal minority.

So this time we really got "Skyrim with guns", as they envisioned it on a spredsheet. Except a rushed low effort version of it. Skyrim's variety of landscapes was replaced "everything looks the same", all it's towns with different "styles" were now... not even bothered with. Players will build their own towns for us! Skills were replaced by perks, but instead of TES' "increasing-by-using" approach they stuck with XP, so if you decide at lvl20 you are now a master hacker despite never using a terminal? It just works.

For FO76 they once again drew the wrong conclusions, assuming exploration, base building and gunplay is all the players want.

As I said earlier, Beth will put the blame on that "external studio" if needed, and make sure everyone knows the next TES is completely "in-house" developed again, by the very same persons that did the yuge Skyrim. And had nothing to do with FO76...

exploration =/= walking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exploration is looking for and finding interesting stuff. npcs to talk with, problems to solve, machines to interact with, puzzles to solve and most important of all some depth to whatever it is you find:

for example an npc that gives you a quest is more interesting than one that says hi and goodbye.

an npc that starts a quest chain is more interesting than one that gives you a single quest.

an npc with some story that starts a quest chain is more interesting than one that just starts a quest chain.

an npc with a story and unique details like a piece of armor you can see and hope to get from him at the end of his quest or quest chain is more interesting that an npc with a story that starts a quest chain.

an npc with a story and unique details like a piece of armor you can see and hope to get from him at the end of his quest or quest chain that also has ties to other npcs in the game and is himself part of a bigger plot/story is more interesting than an npc with a story and unique details like a piece of armor you can see and hope to get from him at the end of his quest or quest chain.

an npc with a story and unique details like a piece of armor you can see and hope to get from him at the end of his quest or quest chain that also has ties to other npcs in the game and is himself part of a bigger plot/story and to whom something happens during the quest chain or who influences the bigger plot/story in any way is more interesting than an npc with a story and unique details like a piece of armor you can see and hope to get from him at the end of his quest or quest chain that also has ties to other npcs in the game and is himself part of a bigger plot/story.

the same thing works with items you can find. they can be quest items, they can be detailed, the can have a back story (even one you could have to search for, like having to find someone who can tell you more about the artifact you just found), they can be part of or even influence the bigger plot/story in a minor or major way.

without detail and depth there is no exploration, it's just sightseeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears that the decline is just a language issue if big companies make the same mistake you do when gathering feedback from the community.
When people praise your game and they say they loved the exploration, it just might mean they found
something interesting while walking around!

Last edited:

ZeniBot

Cipher
Spending almost $200 on Fallout Themed Stationary. Game not included.
I'll be so happy if they somehow screwed even that edition up. Who ever buys that edition must be some sad moron. Yes Bethesda does think that you are stupid enough to pay over AU$400 for an early access video game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom