Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Zer0wing

Cipher
Airships arent exactly so far off of something that could be done in Fallout outside being relative "low tech" and not having the 1950's somewhat odd designs like the Avrocar but still entirely feasible within Fallout level of technology.
Yet in a b*thesda game the airship looks super retarded somehow, when the player encounters it first.

PorkBarrellGuy

...Where the fuck would you get the gas for the airship?

Hydrogen might not be TOO difficult, though there's a really fucking good reason we stopped using hydrogen for the damn things. Helium is kind of a pain in the ass to wrangle up - IIRC we get most of what we have as a byproduct of oil drilling. Oil drilling doesn't fucking HAPPEN anymore in the Fallout setting, chiefly because the shit is all gone and was gone for a while even before the bombs fell. You might be able to get helium as a fusion byproduct, but I'm not sure what kind of amounts you'd get.

Codex Year of the Donut

Hydrogen might not be TOO difficult, though there's a really fucking good reason we stopped using hydrogen for the damn things. Helium is kind of a pain in the ass to wrangle up - IIRC we get most of what we have as a byproduct of oil drilling. Oil drilling doesn't fucking HAPPEN anymore in the Fallout setting, chiefly because the shit is all gone and was gone for a while even before the bombs fell. You might be able to get helium as a fusion byproduct, but I'm not sure what kind of amounts you'd get.
I don't think the guys using nuclear powered fighting armor would have trouble finding a fuel source.

PorkBarrellGuy

I don't think the guys using nuclear powered fighting armor would have trouble finding a fuel source.

? It's not fuel. It's to provide lift.

Helium's actually pretty scarce on Earth as a naturally-occurring gas. BoS' best bet is probably using nuclear fusion to basically generate helium atom by atom. I'm just not clear on how long that would take for them.

Codex Year of the Donut

? It's not fuel. It's to provide lift.

Helium's actually pretty scarce on Earth as a naturally-occurring gas. BoS' best bet is probably using nuclear fusion to basically generate helium atom by atom. I'm just not clear on how long that would take for them.
Seems to use a mix of both.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Airship
The fuel source was taken from a wrecked aircraft carrier's nuclear reactor. The airship is also filled with hydrogen.

More likely, Bethesda just thought it was cool without putting too much thought into it.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Really should be a big hot air balloon, heating element shouldnt be too hard to rig up to keep it all nice and toasty inside for lift

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Death Mechanics: The number of Caps lost when killed by another player has been reduced from double to 25% of that character’s level.
  • For example, A level 60 character who is killed in Survival will now lose 15 Caps, rather than 120. The killer in this case will earn 15 Caps.
:lol:

Gerrard

Arcane
It always amuses me how people in comment sections are bashing this POS while at the same time begging Bethesda to make another single player Fallout game.
I don't get it, Fallout 4 was the same shit as Fallout 76 if not worse but somehow Bethesda's retarded writing makes that better? Serious, people miss you walking on virtual blue neurons while the retarded villain claimed how he wasn't so evil? Or the Brotherhood of Steel traveling around on air ships like on Final Fantasy? Do people really miss that crap? Man... :lol:
at least FO4 had NPCs.
Who do you think keeps playing this one?

Angthoron

Arcane
Heh, there's apparently Bethesda-related butthurt on the mobile market now, turns out whatever the shit they have in beta has some seriously aggressive microtransactions. Who'd have thunk.

ADL

Prophet
For what it's worth everyone I know that bought it is still playing (myself included) so I believe it. Especially surrounding updates no matter how content-light they are.
Am I really supposed to not believe that millions of people continue to pick up the new Fallout game for $15-$30 at their local retailers either?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
For what it's worth everyone I know that bought it is still playing (myself included) so I believe it. Especially surrounding updates no matter how content-light they are.
Am I really supposed to not believe that millions of people continue to pick up the new Fallout game for $15-$30 at their local retailers either?

I bought it. I stopped playing it.

It's the same as any other modern Bethesda game. It's an empty husk. Which you can experience with other people for a change.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I was going to try and find people to play with at some point, but I just got so frustrated managing my inventory and weight limit that I realised that I was never going to enjoy the game.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought it. I stopped playing it.

It's the same as any other modern Bethesda game. It's an empty husk. Which you can experience with other people for a change.

I had this fabulously optimistic idea that it could be worth playing with mods and private servers someday. But I really cant see that happening now.

Why not? If there is still time between the last update/dlc and their next game, they could get some media attention by releasing a version that support mods officially and private servers.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Why not? If there is still time between the last update/dlc and their next game, they could get some media attention by releasing a version that support mods officially and private servers.

Maybe, when its at the end of its life cycle. But the PR talk about F76 having private servers was imo a gigantic bait and switch to sucker in the mostly PvE oriented Bethesda drones.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

:hmmm:

In another thread he's extorting the virtues of ESO as well....

Can't decide if it's an advertising shill or a troll....

ADL

Prophet

Is it really that ridiculous to believe that everything not produced by Bethesda Maryland is better than their games? I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that ESO is the best Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind, not that it's saying much. ESO is like Skyrim but with much better content and mechanical depth. Fallout 76 is like Fallout 4 with better build variety, writing and an interesting worldspace that I actually enjoyed exploring and without the pretension or disappointment of being a "Fallout RPG".

Cael

Arcane

After his last effort, I'd say shill, but he has a long ways to go before he reaches infinishill status.

But he is working on it.

ADL

Prophet
I see you've earned your title. I don't see how it's at all controversial to say that ESO is the best Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind considering the two since have been dogshit. At least the MMO has some depth to it. A lot of depth actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom