Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Fallout cargo cult - Krai Mira: Extended Cut

Risewild

Arbiter
Thanks Risewild ! It seems you focused on other aspects of the game like gambling and settlement reputation - BTW what was that about? I did not see any positive effects of high reputation.
I have no idea either, to be honest.
I wrote this back in 2017, and I had forgotten all about it until I read your review.

Like I mentioned briefly, the game isn't very good at telling us anything about it's mechanics, even in it's manual. I played the full game and at the end I was still confused about several stuff.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The original release version didn't even had a proper ending - after the big choice there were just credits with "to be continued" message. They added actual another act of the story and 3 proper endings in the Extended Cut only.
It didn't have character creation either. New game just popped you up on some island, and you'd have to go to character screen and spend points. But from your review I see they didn't bother to change it.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
In Fallout we have two hands, so we can have two different weapons or a weapon and some healing item available in combat without wasting AP opening the inventory. Not in this game, in this game you only have one hand and so you can only have one weapon equipped, you can't equip healing items at all and if you want to change weapon or use an item, then you have to waste tons of AP to open the inventory and do what you want to do and close the inventory. Fallout did it better once again 20 years before.
This is the only point in your text to which I disagree. Fallout has unlimited healing for the measly price of 2 AP (with Quick Pockets), which is not very tactical at all. You can soak all the damage you want and keep going, unless someone oneshots you. Notice how both AoD and Underrail addressed this.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It is 2017 game?
WTF is this?
It's an open-world RPG made by just one guy with the budget of a bunch of bananas. A Grimoire of sorts. Although, why Brian chose 3D realtime instead of prestigious isometric TB is a mystery to me.

Agreed, those ugly mugs would look much better from a distance offered by isometric view.

If you don't have the resources to create at least acceptable visuals, don't do 1st person view.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Agreed, those ugly mugs would look much better from a distance offered by isometric view.

If you don't have the resources to create at least acceptable visuals, don't do 1st person view.
I don't care about visuals, but this gameplay... it looks painful even through the Youtube player window.

Considering that Brigand is very stats reliant, it would have been a lot better in isometric TB.

Risewild

Arbiter
This is the only point in your text to which I disagree. Fallout has unlimited healing for the measly price of 2 AP (with Quick Pockets), which is not very tactical at all. You can soak all the damage you want and keep going, unless someone oneshots you. Notice how both AoD and Underrail addressed this.
I understand what you're saying, but you can do the same in Krai Mira. It only consumes AP when opening the Inventory and not when using items from the inventory.

But my point was that you can't have two weapons or any other items readily available in combat or outside of it. You only have one option, and that option is one weapon.
You can't equip items at all, you always have to open the clunky inventory if you want to change weapon or use healing items. This delays combat and forces you to waste tons of AP even if you only want to use 1 healing item (which only heals 30 HP anyway).
It uses something like 9 AP to open the inventory. I can't remember anymore, but I think you have something like 15 AP with 9 AGL.

I would have preferred that each item used from the inventory would spend AP, instead of only doing it when opening the inventory, both in Fallout and in Krai Mira. But at least Fallout allows you to have 2 options instead of one that doesn't involve opening the inventory, plus it also allows to equip usable items besides only weapons. So it's a definitive winner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom