Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: Nevada Mod - final English version released

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
I tagged Small guns, Science and Lockpick. Not a single point wasted :smug:

I feel like Speech was massively underused or maybe my minmaxed char was just too much.
Maybe its just that there are so many alternative solutions to quests.

Yosharian

Arcane
I tagged Small guns, Science and Lockpick. Not a single point wasted :smug:

I feel like Speech was massively underused or maybe my minmaxed char was just too much.
Maybe its just that there are so many alternative solutions to quests.
I might play this. Any suggestions on how to build my character?

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So is this thing complete and properly translated now?

It's been for a while. Some mistakes and untranslated barks remain, but not enough to justify missing on this masterpiece any more.

Depends on what you like. There are a lot of interactions with the Science skill, so you should at least tag that.

Black Angel

Arcane

Depends on what you like. There are a lot of interactions with the Science skill, so you should at least tag that.
Don't forget Repair.

In fact, I'd say Nevada is the first time nearly all skills sees much use throughout the game that you can literally build any kind of character you want. My first playthrough I tagged Speech, Doctor, and Repair, and man that was an amazing early-game experience like no other.

Yosharian

Arcane

I wanna use Power Armor and be good with guns. Science sounds good. I guess I could dump Charisma? Smart science dude with Power Armor and a gun sounds cool.[/QUOTE]

Yosharian

Arcane

Don't forget Repair.

In fact, I'd say Nevada is the first time nearly all skills sees much use throughout the game that you can literally build any kind of character you want. My first playthrough I tagged Speech, Doctor, and Repair, and man that was an amazing early-game experience like no other.
But... ngggh... must.. optimize...

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
~ my build

s 9 - carry shit around
p 10 - aimed shots to the eyes with snipers across screen as main dmg
e 2 - dance baby dance (around corners, buildings)
c 2 - no one cared
i 10 - max sp
a 10 - max ap, fight most melee creatures with no melee investment, box, run around corners
l 2 - eye crits are independent, youll get your 50%

gifted - is not nerfed here like in resurrection, dont know about crazyed, without gifted you just dump l,c,e to 1 and s to 7? might up e to 2...
bloodymess - eh

perk that gives you 2 points of free movement - for stepping around corners and running
action boy x2 - for 2 aimed rifle shots per turn, etc

You'll probably ~100 the 5 below, tag the ones with lowest sp at chargen to optimize sp investment.
For easy sailing just go guns, repair, lockpick.
small guns
energy weaps
science
repair
lockpick

The problem with sneak and steal is the same as in F1 etc. If you fail steal you might have to fight the town and you will fail steal even with 100% in it. So you have to larp some kind of rule for it. I just didnt use it. Except for the LA main quest. Stole notes with 30% in the skill and didnt even reload twice.

I could not get the Inventory Filter mod to work. Game crashes on both versions of it. Would have saved my mouse wheel a lot of usage.
You'll be carrying lotsa trash around to trigger item based dialogue/interactions...

Yosharian

Arcane
~ my build

s 9 - carry shit around
p 10 - aimed shots to the eyes with snipers across screen as main dmg
e 2 - dance baby dance (around corners, buildings)
c 2 - no one cared
i 10 - max sp
a 10 - max ap, fight most melee creatures with no melee investment, box, run around corners
l 2 - eye crits are independent, youll get your 50%

gifted - is not nerfed here like in resurrection, dont know about crazyed, without gifted you just dump l,c,e to 1 and s to 7? might up e to 2...
bloodymess - eh

perk that gives you 2 points of free movement - for stepping around corners and running
action boy x2 - for 2 aimed rifle shots per turn, etc

You'll probably ~100 the 5 below, tag the ones with lowest sp at chargen to optimize sp investment.
For easy sailing just go guns, repair, lockpick.
small guns
energy weaps
science
repair
lockpick

The problem with sneak and steal is the same as in F1 etc. If you fail steal you might have to fight the town and you will fail steal even with 100% in it. So you have to larp some kind of rule for it. I just didnt use it. Except for the LA main quest. Stole notes with 30% in the skill and didnt even reload twice.

I could not get the Inventory Filter mod to work. Game crashes on both versions of it. Would have saved my mouse wheel a lot of usage.
You'll be carrying lotsa trash around to trigger item based dialogue/interactions...
This seems exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers.

Black Angel

Arcane
This is the first time I hear it. What part of Gifted is nerfed in Resurrection? I thought it was the exact same as Fallout 2?

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
-5 to skill points per level in Resurrection (that would be the nerf, -10 to all skills is standard)?
Is that also part of F2/Nevada?
I already uninstall.exe so cant say for sure.

Thats a lot of SP to let go to ~max Str.
I mean, 50 for 5 skills that you need, another 50 by level 10.
I did pick Gifted in Nevada, must have been a brainfart.
Than again, never had a shortage of SP. Rather too many, hovering at 99, not knowing where to put 20 at level up.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Books are about 2 of a kind (so 10 SP). It doesnt really matter though. They are too expensive for the part of the game where they might be needed. I was kinda powergaming (no farming) and broke early game.
I remember wanting books and having no moneyz:
science
energy weaps
repair
All about 2k a piece.
In fact, you wont be rich if you dont go out of your way to start killing slavers, raiders, gangers. They drop expensive gunz, ammo, stims.

One thing about the game if fucking shit though: shotgun ammo.
There is a single vendor on the planet that sells non standard ammo and even normal ammo is rare. So ALL shotguns suck cock by default...

Burst firing as well... you can burst through all your ammo in a single fight... and be broke.

Cael

Arcane
-5 to skill points per level in Resurrection (that would be the nerf, -10 to all skills is standard)?
I already uninstall.exe so cant say for sure.

Thats a lot of SP to let go to ~max Str.
I mean, 50 for 5 skills that you need, another 50 by level 10.
I did pick Gifted in Nevada, must have been a brainfart.
Than again, never had a shortage of SP. Rather too many, hovering at 99, not knowing where to put 20 at level up.
Gifted had always been +1 to all stats, -5 skill points/level and -10 to all skills initially.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Elephantman thanks. Just to be clear tho, are you saying books have modified behavior to always give 5 SPs? Iirc that value always scaled to lesser SPs are your base skill approaches 100, and to get a full 5 you need to be under some threshold.

Cael

Arcane
Elephantman thanks. Just to be clear tho, are you saying books have modified behavior to always give 5 SPs? Iirc that value always scaled to lesser SPs are your base skill approaches 100, and to get a full 5 you need to be under some threshold.
Original formula was something like (100-skill)/10 dropping decimals. Therefore, 91% and above = 0 point gain. (100-91)/10=0.9, which when you drop the decimal = 0.

Black Angel

Arcane
As Cael pointed out, it's -10 to all skills AND -5 SPs per level since Fallout 2, not sure about Fallout 1.

To circumvent lack of SPs I just take Educated as early as possible since I don't see much point taking combat-related perks so early in the game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Original formula was something like (100-skill)/10 dropping decimals. Therefore, 91% and above = 0 point gain. (100-91)/10=0.9, which when you drop the decimal = 0.
There we go, that sounds correct. I recall that if you made the dependent stats lower for a skill before reading the skill book, you can actually get more points out of it.

Theoretically you can get 9 or 10 SPs from a book.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Books scale. But I dont think you should base any meta decision on books... Just forget them.
You wont find anything worthwhile till midgame and it will be expensive, just play da game.

I was stuck around 50, 60 in science and repair for most of the game because there is nothing higher to science or repair for a lot of content midgame. Thats not a bad thing. There is a lot of content.
So, 2 books in it are about 10 SP.

Arguably, there is nothing that separates midgame and endgame except the amount of money you have.

There are a couple more Outdoorsman books. So you dont miss
1g6QBxC.png

Cael

Arcane
Money was not a problem even in FO2. I was running around with a couple of full stacks of coins at one stage. One in the car and one on Sulik. And a trunk full of ammo. Man, if that car was destroyed, the ammo in there would send San Fran into orbit...

Yosharian

Arcane
What's the most optimal way to play this mod? I want as much resolution as possible, frame rate, etc. Any UI improvements? Also, can I play it ultrawide?

Reason I ask is because there are all these mods for Fallout 1 like Fallout 1 Fixt that increase resolution etc so I just assumed there are similar ones for FO2?

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
What's the most optimal way to play this mod? I want as much resolution as possible, frame rate, etc. Any UI improvements? Also, can I play it ultrawide?

Reason I ask is because there are all these mods for Fallout 1 like Fallout 1 Fixt that increase resolution etc so I just assumed there are similar ones for FO2?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ut-game-by-czechs.109858/page-11#post-4650361
I agree with what @epeli said, except instead of setting the game to 2x scaler, set it to 960x540. That will keep the font from looking fucked up because its a perfect 1:4 pixel mapping onto 1920x1080. You won't split the rendering of the low resolution font and graphics onto anisotropic subpixels, which is what makes low resolution games scaled to high look both blurry and sharp at the same time.

To be clear, in draw.ini set graphics mode to 4 or 5 (5 and playing with borderless gaming is superior for multi monitor users IMO, mouse is still trapped in window until you alt-tab), the resolution to your desktop's native 1920x1080, and GPUBlt=1. That's it for ddraw.

In f2_res.ini, set graphics_mode=0 which passes along game window resolution control to ddraw. Put scale_2x=0, and set the screen resolution to 960 and 540 (600 for :obviously: 16:10 owners). For fullscreen colors, set it to 8, and all the other graphics options are the same. Windowed does not need to be set to 1 in the subsequent options if you're using dx9 windowed mode, ddraw will handle that.

edit: for reference, this is how those settings make the game look:

pictures
OBASfmy.jpg

Qk8GdFO.jpg

edit2: This works exactly the same way for Fallout 2, FYI. For Fallout 1, you have to use a much older version of sfall, Crafty's 1.7.6 and I don't believe rendering in a window works - you have to run it fullscreen 960x540/600. That means adding the resolution to your display driver. This is easy on nvidia, harder on amd, either way: google it.

Personally, I think you didn't do justice to the game if you play it at ultrawide resolution. I mean, it's totally possible, but you'd better off playing it the way agris described above to get the maximum developers-intended experience possible.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok, but for example you didn't mention the Fallout 2 High Resolution Patch. Should I not be using that?

And what about SFALL?

Black Angel

Arcane
Ok, but for example you didn't mention the Fallout 2 High Resolution Patch. Should I not be using that?

And what about SFALL?
From what I know all these are already included when you install Nevada.

If I'm not mistaken, both the ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini mentioned in the quote above comes from sfall and F2 Hi-Res patch respectively.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ohh. I see.

Is there a specific place I should be downloading from other than the Russian main site?

Basically where the heck are detailed installation instructions?? For the English version, obviously!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom