Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
SBAxRjo.png

ironmask

Arbiter
They really put werewolves in the game? They could of at least done something to make it look fucked up by radiation or some shit to make it look more in place. Or better yet delete it.

Pompey

Novice
They really put werewolves in the game? They could of at least done something to make it look fucked up by radiation or some shit to make it look more in place. Or better yet delete it.
I think they just put everything and anything that the mod team suggested. Junkie Lizards? Sure, add it to the mod. Werewolves? Put that in. The Frontier does not feel like one mod by a team with a coherent vision and direction but a mod pack by many different authors. The Frontier feels like Garry's mod more than anything.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well guise, I just stopped following the main quest because I knew what would be, more badly designed aktium packed moments but not before learning about the Liberator... Liberator you ask? What is a Liberator, what possibly is? Calm... I will get there, but before that, I will talk about Bright Town.

So, I decided it was time to stop the main quest, in part because I couldnt stop laughing and my two hands were implanted on my face of how hard I was facepalming with all the cringe and the aktion packed moments were starting to get in my nerves. However, I really wanted to give them a second chance, after all, they really worked hard on the aktion packed cutscenes and the visuals of the world arent too bad. I started my adventure seeking the side content because I had a suspicion... you will see what it is as I relate my adventure.

You see, they spent so much time on those aktion packed sequences and what about the open world? So, I started picking side quests to investigate and satiate my curiosity. I even started on a good mood after I found what the Liberator was. So, I picked a quest about a NCR soldier that went AWOL, he was suffering of PTSD after what happened on Bright town and his buddy asked me to go after him, no problem. There were other quests but I was really curious about Bright Town.

So, I decided to explore everything on the way to Bright Town ruins, I knew the main quest was really stupid nonsense but man, I love Fallout so much that seeing those ruins on the horizon with the stormy sky above, well, I had to give them a second chance, right? There I gone exploring, reached the closest settlement nearby the base, well, calling it a settlement is being generous, Goose Hollow, well, it was disappointing because there was no quest in it and the interactions you had with the NPCs were... very limited.

I mean, GoodSprings, Primm... on New Vegas, all those towns had their quests with local background and local conflicts for you to solve and ask about the place you were in. Well, I found the mayor of Goose Hollow and I literally only had an one line interaction with him. I will search again, maybe I missed some unique NPC on all those similar looking houses, just a tip for the modders: when you make a location, try to make it stand up a little, especially when it is surrounded by generic ruins because it can be irritating locating quest relevant NPCs on the middle of a mess of ruins and generic NPCs.

I got on Goose Hollow, I left Goose Hollow, that was my experience, then I kept exploring and reached a location named... the farm... yeah, really original name there. In the farm, it was the first time that suspicion that I mentioned above came to my mind. One of those ugly as fuck creatures people are showing on screenshots above, the ugly green monster... it started attacking me, it also had really shitty animations, even shit for Fallout 3 standards. I though: "Man, this isnt as well done as the armor models the legion and NCR are using, this look like Unity Asset store garbage..."

I tried exploring the farm and all of sudden, 10 clones of the green monster started attacking me, it was too much so I had to retreat and while I stood there watching the ten ugly green monsters from the Unity Asset store repeating their ugly animations at the same time trying to attack me... a question came to my mind... did they just copy pasted asset store monsters on locations and called a day because they were too occupied with the aktion packed Modern Warfare shenanigans? My suspicion was starting to take form on my mind but it would only be confirmed on Bright Town, but we will get there.

On the way to Bright Town, I got on another settlement, something Heights, yeah, something Heights because I already forgot its name because as Goose Hollow, there is nothing on it, just some NPCs that dont say much and only talk something vague about Bright Town. Nothing of relevant here, but there was a NPC line in there that attracted my attention, a girl warning me about the Wendigos.

Hmmm... Wendigos, she said the only way to kill them for good was shooting them on the head. I mean, I imagined there would be a whole level, some deep cavern on Bright Town filled with those Wendigos that would be Death Claws on crack, right? No my friends... unfortunately, my suspicion was true.

Bright Town was filled with copy pasted zombies from the asset store with their names changed to Wendigos, there were dozens of zombies on Bright Town ruins, why? I dont think even the modders know, probably they wanted some zombie shooting section. I was there seriously disappointed, the situation got even worse, there was a huge ... glowing thing holding a club, it looked like a Unity Asset store Ogre from a fantasy asset pack renamed as a new species of ghoul, the only difference was that it was glowing green.

It took 45 shotgun shots to the head to die and my luck was that it got stuck on a house. It was even more hilarious that the wendigos the gilr said you needed to shoot on the head to die for good, well... actually they share the same coding as the ghouls, so shooting them on the head will be a waste of bullets and it only require three shots on the leg to kill them.

Well, of course they would take the effort of placing appropriate loot on enemies right? No, no no... the logic is to have missiles, and grenade launcher ammo being drop by those zombies you kill. Yeah, zombies dropping missiles, who would thought that?

Well... my consolation was that Bright town had a decent size at least and was the first real level on a mission with exploration as the NCR main quest was deep on the Call of Duty non sense. There was even a buggy in there to drive around and it drives surprisingly well for Gamebryo at least, the question is that vehicles run out of fuel and I have no idea how to refuel them. So, I kept driving the buggy around collecting shit on the ruined city to finish the quest for that PTSD soldier that wanted to make a memorial on the city. Bright Town was completely destroyed two times, the first when the legion took it over from the NCR and afterwards when the NCR retook it from the legion.

The soldier was the leader of the NCR army that destroyed the city the second time, so this mean awesome story telling, right? Well... they had the same thing as on Nipton when the story of the town is told on notes but the notes here are so cringy to read with so much useless juveline or cliche bullshit on them that I really gave up on reading that nonsense.

So, what am I going to do next? Well, I have a bad feeling Im wasting my time trying to squeeze something out of this thing but I heard about some actual real towns, a Junkflea town and a Sand something town, could it be the first real towns instead of ruins filled with asset store garbage and ghost towns this time? We will see.

Ah... and about the Liberator, it is a Marvel's Avengers style flying aircraft carrier that Blackthorn wants to repair and go flying depose Kimbal on the NCR. You were rescued because of your Stallone genes make you be able to do something his entire army cant. Yeah, I laughed so much until my face was tired.

Last edited:

Pompey

Novice
actually they share the same coding as the ghouls, so shooting them on the head will be a waste of bullets and it only require three shots on the leg to kill them.
I don't why they made them like ghouls. They could have coded them like the Ghost People in Dead Money where they only die if their limbs were destroyed.

Blackthorn wants to repair and go flying depose Kimbal on the NCR.
The premise that some elements of the NCR military are sick of Kimball's bullshit and are planning to overthrow the government is a good concept. They could have done something where Blackthorn is this extremely controversial figure in NCR politics because he is against the brahmin barons and the expansionist politicians. He would have been imitating Caesar more than the Caesar in New Vegas. It's a shame that like this concept got wasted on a mod that tries to fit round pegs into square holes and make a COD game in the Gamebryo engine.

DeepOcean

Arcane
actually they share the same coding as the ghouls, so shooting them on the head will be a waste of bullets and it only require three shots on the leg to kill them.
I don't why they made them like ghouls. They could have coded them like the Ghost People in Dead Money where they only die if their limbs were destroyed.

Blackthorn wants to repair and go flying depose Kimbal on the NCR.
The premise that some elements of the NCR military are sick of Kimball's bullshit and are planning to overthrow the government is a good concept. They could have done something where Blackthorn is this extremely controversial figure in NCR politics because he is against the brahmin barons and the expansionist politicians. He would have been imitating Caesar more than the Caesar in New Vegas. It's a shame that like this concept got wasted on a mod that tries to fit round pegs into square holes and make a COD game in the Gamebryo engine.
I would rewrite the whoe campaign this way:
Blackthorne leaves the NCR with something like 100 soldiers, people with no families left behind, nowhere close to a full army, he moves to the Frontier trying to seek a secure place to stay while, he moves around, he manages to pick up some few more recruits until reaching the Frontier, in there, he makes friendship with the locals as he helps to protect them from raider attacks. He has no idea what to do but dying on the Legion war doesnt seem like a better alternative. In there as he makes friendship with the locals, his army numbers grow until he has a decent sized militia, nowhere close to something capable to withstand the Legion though.

In there, he learns about the legend of an old US military base the locals told him. He manages to locate the base after alot of struggle with local raider groups on the way. In there, he finds rows and rows of functional old US tanks and older T 51 power armor models. The place was a dump site where the US army dumped old equipment it didnt want to use anymore, the only reason it escaped nuking was because it was a low priority dumping site to recycle old and damaged equipment.

The whole story would be about the Legion trying to get its hands on it and the Crusaders wanting that technology to create their Utopia of rebuilding the Brotherhood on a new image. Blackthorne was trying to salvage resources trying to salvage the best they could from this treasure and while being outnumbered 10 to 1 by the legion, he learned a few tricks of how to use power armor from the Brotherhood while he fought them on Helios One and the Legion wasnt used to deal with such enemy. Eventually, when he was ready, he would move on the Mojave Legion and use this new political power to force Kimball's resignation.

Unfortunately, impressionable boys want their flying animu aircraft carriers.

Last edited:

goregasm

Scholar
I haven't commented in years. You are doing Allah's work playing this shit so I don't have to. Not that I was going to.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

It reminds me a little of an idea I had for a Fallout spin off.
This one would be a bit more linear than regular Fallout 1/2 style or FNV style Fallout games though there would be a few choices and alternative paths. It would have been set around the same time of FNV.

Like in your idea the story would have been about a group of NCR military, perhaps some intelligence people too, who have become frustrated with how the NCR is handling the war with the Legion in the Mojave and the Brotherhood on the West Coast and how corruption is eating away at the NCR.
Their goal would be to overthrow Kimbal and install a military government for the time to deal with the current conflicts and put the merchant houses and brahmin barons back in their place.
Without a large army and support of the people this group started looking for advanced weapons and technology to deal with the Legion and Brotherhood. Through sources like perhaps the Followers of the Apocalypse, captured scribes, or scientists from the Office of Science and Industry they learned about pre war military installations that contained what they were looking for, but to get into these places and past the security systems and robots they needed some resources and perhaps people first which they sought to acquire through criminals and the black market.

The player would have been a Ranger operating near LA who starts out with the assignment of tracking down and bringing in some criminals that are causing problems.
But when the player finds these people he or she learns about the first details of this conspiracy against the NCR government and investigates it further.

From LA the player would travel to various other locations, doing main quests and side quests there, and resolving various situations one way or another.
The player would for example run into the West Coast BOS and decide to either aid them for the time being or oppose them, their assistance or defeat resulting in the player acquiring new gear and information.

Eventually the player would follow the renegade NCR soldiers to Area 51 which in my idea is somewhat similar to Big Mountain but focuses on aircraft and missile related technologies and designs (the idea of there being aliens and spaceships at Area 51 was just a cover the pre war government had made up to hide what was really going on here such as research and development for new types of propulsion systems and planes).
Here the player would discover that the renegade NCR soldiers want to take control of a fleet of automated drone attack and bomber planes and use these to wipe out the BOS and the Legion.

In the end the player would go to the NCR capital where the renegade NCR soldiers have just attacked the parliament building (perhaps with allies they made earlier during the game of weapons/robots from Area 51) and force Kimball to turn over power to the leader of the renegade NCR soldiers who has promised the rest of the government that he will then deal with the threats to the Republic.

Alternatively the player could perhaps assist the renegade NCR soldiers and instead perhaps have to deal with the Rangers and army intelligence who seek to stop the player and the renegade soldiers.

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Which is especially sad because it would be pretty easy to shoot down. In New Vegas, the NCR have an Anti-Air cannon at Hoover Dam. With one shot, they could penetrate the aircraft and bring it down.

I never hated the airships of Fallout Tactics that much though I can understand why people do not consider that game canon even back in the day.
But I never liked the flying airship base in Fallout 4 as I found it rather ridiculous. Building such a thing as it would probably be very vulnerable, but also that the BOS would waste so much resources on it.

I find the idea of a flying battleship in Fallout, not even an armored zeppelin but an aircraft carrier like the SHIELD one ridiculous and not fitting in the Fallout universe as despite being quite advanced in some ways I don't think even the pre war government would waste so much resources on something so... ungainly or ridiculous.
Such a thing would require loads of energy, powerful engines that would require a superstructure that can hold them.
I am pretty sure anyone with an engineering degree can explain to me and the others why a flying aircraft carrier can not work.

It is not like a space station which only needs occasional orbit corrections to stay in orbit.

The pre war government would stick to sensible and proven aircraft technology.

In Fallout Sonora the main threat, a renegade Brotherhood chapter, has come to Mexico/Sonora desert in a pre war destroyer which the BOS was able to repair and which nuclear fuel rods they were able to replace.
It serves as the chapter's mobile headquarters.

That in my opinion makes much more sense than a flying aircraft carrier or battleship in the Fallout universe

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
To be fair, a Flying Aircraft Carrier would fit perfectly in the Fallout universe.

Have you heard the word of our lord and savior, the Lockheed CL-1201?

I still am going to have to ask the question; how are you going to power this thing?
Back in the 50s or 60s I think either the USA or the Soviet Union were experimenting with nuclear powered bombers.
As the shielding on the reactors would make these planes too heavy to fly they were reduced or stripped from the reactors.
So basically everyone who flew on these things would either be killed by radiation poisoning or eventually by cancer or leukemia.

That basically killed the idea of using nuclear powered aircraft.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i was gonna play this until i saw risewild's post detailing how terribly unoptimized this mod is. modder's autism can be dangerously fatal

i mean, i have a computer that can run this, but the mod isn't exactly fun if it's constantly spitting out-of-memory errors, is it? fucking russians that make everything-but-the-kitchen-sink mods for STALKER are better at optimization than this

DeepOcean

Arcane
The concept of a big aircraft like a B52 or a Tupolev carrying swarms of attacking drones is actually a realistic concept, so a flying "aircraft carrier" is feaseble but the issue of the mod is that I dont think those modders have the brain horse power to go beyond muh Avengers go Epicz, so any discussion we have is merely theoretical.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The Dutch Ghost

They're not renegade BoS chapter. They are perfectly loyal chapter whose commander was given enough authority to achieve his goals in the ways he thinks are fine.

Also, main threat? You didn't side with them in the name of progress? :smug:

I sort of wrote that wrong. Perhaps I should have described them as more extremist or unorthodox, being amoral or in general not caring about outsiders other than what they can provide.

I still have not played the game myself yet so all I know about them is through a translated file of the game's dialog. I know they are not necessarily the big bad like say the Unity or the Enclave, rather a new player that has changed the balance of power.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is Antifia a joinable faction?

But, but, they are just a idea, not a organization /hu3

This mod gave me a lot of STALKER vibes.
There are radiation anomalies named Red Wraiths, once you get too close, you recieve radiation what I find interesting is that those anomalies patrol inside enclosed spaces what is weird is that someone copy pasted the NPC patrol behavior and applied on them, the first time I encountered them I thought they were ghosts because anything goes with this mod, so talking with ghosts would be just another day on crazy town. About Stalker, never heard about you fornicating with lizard people on Ukraine... well, I could be wrong, not keeping updated how things are there in the moment.

TheBreadcrumb

Novice

Oh man, this really is a jumbled miss-match of shit ideas flung at a wall and not giving a shit about what stuck. If it wasn't the fantasy Unity asset monsters, the Call of Duty NCR main quest or the ''quirky'' meta writing then this pushes it to new levels. Going to a space station to fight robots and a NOT-Frank Horrigan look-a-like that ends with an encounter with NOT Scarecrow. Wasn't enough to copy COD, now they're taking shit straight out of Batman.

Though I should clarify, I don't know the context to any of this aside from DeepOceans descriptions of the NCR playthrough but I don't give a shit. I've already made up my mind that this mod is a trainwreck as soon as I saw the Unity asset basilisks.

Speededit: There are dozens of games and other media that does the same thing, but the Batman Arkham games was the first thing that came to my mind as soon as I saw it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom