Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Canada has a lot fewer shitskins than USA. They had zero cities burned to the ground last summer. Seems like incline.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What rpgs that arent popamole garbage the US produced after the consoles and mobile market took over the gaming industry? All those companies, Sir Tec, Troika, Interplay, Bethesda, Obsidian, Bioware are all dead and there are no replacements that are doing what they did on the past. If it wasnt for the Fallout obcession that slavs have, the rpg genre would be on a worse state than the adventure genre.

Zer0wing

Cipher
the adventure genre.
The adventure genre has devovled into walking sims and telltale games, a similar shitty fate. New adventures are not completely dead solely because of indie scene.

I miss the times when those now considered dead subgenres (RTS, actual RPGs, Adventures, Puzzles) were on the top. We had book writers such as Harlan Ellison and Terry Pratchet do the job instead of professional twitter shitposters.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Brb learning how to create worldspaces on GECK so I can dunk on Frontier as one-man-project with spiritual inspiration from Fallout instead multiple team project being innovative out of Fallout.
I'll be sure to make you have a dialogue choice to fuck every single existing NPC in the game with a Leisure Suit Larry dialogue lines. :smug:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Brb learning how to create worldspaces on GECK so I can dunk on Frontier as one-man-project with spiritual inspiration from Fallout instead multiple team project being innovative out of Fallout.
I'll be sure to make you have a dialogue choice to fuck every single existing NPC in the game with a Leisure Suit Larry dialogue lines. :smug:

I've literally thought about doing this lol

Only difference is i've had it in my mind to make a "Fallout UK" complete with zero super mutants and entirely new factions but then it becomes less recognizable as a Fallout game.

Valdetiosi

Scholar

Only difference is i've had it in my mind to make a "Fallout UK" complete with zero super mutants and entirely new factions but then it becomes less recognizable as a Fallout game.

My idea for the project was to move forward, make a setting out of "what if you made Great Khan leave Mojave and join with Followers to ruins of Wyoming as empire" ending.
Player would be born as Great Khan member, who has passed the trials to become Great Khan. One of the first tasks he gets from Papa Khan (Not same one as in NV, as I think that's more of a title of the leader) is to find out meaning behind a microchip which they had managed to scavenge from old military compound. The reason for why it cannot be plugged to say normal terminal and see through it is because it's encrypted, so one would need one more knowledgeable person of pre-war tech to bypass it. Player would be given hints of few persons who they should be on look out for and the game would begin, starting you with only great khan gear, some healing powder, knife and pistol on your shoulder. They can get more gear for doing some skill checks from people in the town, but otherwise that is the start.
Other than that as main quest, the side quests would involve about you meeting tribals and locals of Wyoming wilderness who you should assimilate to Great Khans, either peacefully with positive reputation or exterminate them with negative reputation.

The way I see it, Fallout: New Vegas is good base, but I think it should have Prey's approach on solving objectives, that everything goes if you have sufficient skills for it. There's a locked door, player can lockpick it, find a key for it, use crowbar/axe to chop the lock open at the cost of durability or create/buy one of makeshift bombs used to blow out locks. That's one example, and it could be expanded on other kind of objectives.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
that everything goes if you have sufficient skills for it. There's a locked door, player can lockpick it, find a key for it, use crowbar/axe to chop the lock open at the cost of durability or create/buy one of makeshift bombs used to blow out locks.
That is what New Vegas does in a sense. The locked door is a means to an end rather than the end itself.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I'd think that could be interesting. Any military bases in Wyoming that could be usable for background info, more threats, etc.?

Haven't really thought about it, this has been only on my mind for about a month, but I thought the procedure how to work with this is that I would do first the world, then think about what places it has, note the backgrounds on them and start creating them. It's when the world is finished with locations and stuff, I would start implementing NPCs, quests and such, as I feel that is easier way to handle when you have created already a world ready for them.

That is what New Vegas does in a sense. The locked door is a means to an end rather than the end itself.

I think New Vegas doesn't do it enough. I do notice at the times it does it, but it feels lacking to me, though that might be on me.

Poseidon00

Arcane
My idea for the project was to move forward, make a setting out of "what if you made Great Khan leave Mojave and join with Followers to ruins of Wyoming as empire" ending.
Player would be born as Great Khan member, who has passed the trials to become Great Khan. One of the first tasks he gets from Papa Khan (Not same one as in NV, as I think that's more of a title of the leader) is to find out meaning behind a microchip which they had managed to scavenge from old military compound. The reason for why it cannot be plugged to say normal terminal and see through it is because it's encrypted, so one would need one more knowledgeable person of pre-war tech to bypass it. Player would be given hints of few persons who they should be on look out for and the game would begin, starting you with only great khan gear, some healing powder, knife and pistol on your shoulder. They can get more gear for doing some skill checks from people in the town, but otherwise that is the start.
Other than that as main quest, the side quests would involve about you meeting tribals and locals of Wyoming wilderness who you should assimilate to Great Khans, either peacefully with positive reputation or exterminate them with negative reputation.

The way I see it, Fallout: New Vegas is good base, but I think it should have Prey's approach on solving objectives, that everything goes if you have sufficient skills for it. There's a locked door, player can lockpick it, find a key for it, use crowbar/axe to chop the lock open at the cost of durability or create/buy one of makeshift bombs used to blow out locks. That's one example, and it could be expanded on other kind of objectives.

I would def try that out. I always liked the tribals in the Fallout universe and the Great Khans in particular. When I play NV I typically do it as a spear-chucking stealthy tribal.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'd think that could be interesting. Any military bases in Wyoming that could be usable for background info, more threats, etc.?
There's an AFB in Cheyenne for missile base crews. The big problem would be handwaving (i.e. Mr. House's missile defense) a reason why they weren't obliterated. Prepare to use the winter assets from the Frontier in any other season but summer.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

Haven't really thought about it, this has been only on my mind for about a month, but I thought the procedure how to work with this is that I would do first the world, then think about what places it has, note the backgrounds on them and start creating them. It's when the world is finished with locations and stuff, I would start implementing NPCs, quests and such, as I feel that is easier way to handle when you have created already a world ready for them.

Cool. I think also things like slavery could be a good thing to cover as well, like how you as a Great Khan could influence the Khans views on that subject i.e. necessity, replenishing numbers, farming and herding requirements, etc.

Forcing leadership changes in the Khan hierarchy, aiding with building defenses, even taking over yourself and setting the agenda, all of it could definitely lead to some interesting and cool ideas.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
The Frontier is back on the nexus.

Xs3iqEi.png
That will do fuck all with one of the most glaring problems that this mod has which is the lore rape. The NCR exiles who make no sense, the horrible and disgraceful references to past Fallout characters like Tycho and Tandi and of course the most glaring lore rape of all which is how the mod authors wrote the Legion from being a feared faction with fanatical beliefs and savage practices to a bunch of progressive, misunderstood, hipster art fags just like the developers. They should have not even bothered with reuploading this mod and just left it in the void.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can someone steal their assets and make another mod, "Frontier: Not made by furries edition."? That would be nice as some assets arent even that bad and deserve that a good modder do a better use for them. While I find hard to believe their bogus copywrite will hold, last thing someone wants is crazy furry psychopaths stalking you like five Nights at Fredie's but on real life.

Last edited:

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

A communist fighting for a country known for it's capitalistic practices... Yeah, sounds a lot like what you see with millennial communists.

The irony with this is off the charts. It's like the writer for this one was crying out for help here. Love that she also has the "problem glasses" too.

Zer0wing

Cipher
A communist fighting for a country known for it's capitalistic practices... Yeah, sounds a lot like what you see with millennial communists.
Social democRATS at their usual, nothing to be upset about, just kill him with fire.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I had been considering posting this earlier in this thread but I did not want to bother people with another "fan who has a dream" project as I am sure quite some people have the wish to make a game but do not have the skills or the dedication or both.
Sadly I definitely fall in the first and the second one comes from the fact that my stupid autistic mind keeps bouncing around.

But for years now I have been walking around with the wish of creating a Fallout game of my own, starting all the way back when Black Isle's Fallout 3 was cancelled and over the years I have been thinking on and off about it, going through various concepts in my mind and writing down various documents but always starting over again because I was not happy with what I came up with.

The setting for my project would be Texas, or the Texas Wasteland, a region that would also have appeared in the canceled Fan Made Fallout from decades ago and the more recent Fallout Magnifico/Lonestar which ended up in development hell but which I think it is save to assume is also canceled.
I actually took quite some inspiration from both those games and the concepts in them as well as the canceled Fallout Yurop to the point that I do confess I feel I am ripping them off which does not sit well with me.

As I don't have a Google Document right now that details all my ideas (I started on a new document but I got distracted again), I am going to post part of a PM I sent to RangerBoo in which I described some of my ideas and their background or sources of inspiration

As it is a quite lengthy text I will put it under spoiler

Before that I had written a relative extensive description document on my ideas for that Fallout Texas setting and was trying to merge that with the best ideas I had written down in an earlier document to create a cohere design.

But when I posted a link to the document on NMA I got into a discussion about the content with Atomic Cowboy who gave me his feedback on them.
He liked a lot of my ideas but felt that some of them were rather bare bones and gave me some suggestions while asking me why I had brought back some elements that had already appeared in FO1, 2, and FNV.
He reminded me that Fallout setting is like an open canvas that is open for various concepts and interpretations of ideas and urged me to come up with ideas for creations which we had not seen before (or often) in Fallout.

Here is a link to his post as you can better read that than that I do a poor man's attempt at copying what he said; https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...s-old-thread-again.219071/page-2#post-4403088

It made me want to rethink what I would like to do with FNV. I still would like retain some of the core ideas I had earlier but try to experiment a little more with others.

So as a result I decided to scrap both the Lone Star Confederacy and the System, two pre war political systems we had already seen in one form or another.

The basic setting would remain the same: the Texas Wasteland would be this radioactive dustbowl that suffers from radioactive duststorms, radioactive twisters, and hurricanes moving in from the gulf of Mexico a lot during the year.
Water sources and arable land are rare and have been fought over from time to time.

Other than struggling settlements trying to survive while being harassed by raiders and mutants a major conflict between two opposing armies with different ideologies is also taking place that divides the region.
One side are the Followers of the ATLANTIS which you might already know; a paramilitary transhumanist group of cyborg traders led by the artificial intelligence ATLANTIS, Poseidon Energy's old super computer that seek to create a new industrial infrastructure to start a new era of science and technology.

The Followers trade with settlements for resources and sometimes also help settlements or groups with establishing mining operations or manufacturing plants, providing knowledge and technology in return for raw material and goods these operations can provide. (rather than building mines, refining plants, and factories themselves the Followers encourage outsiders to do so)

Problem with the Followers is that they don't have much ethical or moral concerns with whom they do business as long as they get what they want.
They would for example be doing business with the Cartel, an organization notorious for its violence and slavery practices.

Initially I wanted to use the Angels of the Apocalypse, a paramilitary Christian army that blames advanced technology for the destruction of the world and leading mankind away from God to be the Followers' main enemy.
The Angels seek to convert everyone to their religion and under their control (the Angels would not directly control all settlements under their control, but the leaders of these would still be heavily influenced by the Angels), seek to capture anyone with scientific and technological knowledge and make these people repent for this sin.
They would use "sinners" as a workforce as the Angels do not use industrial manufacturing, claiming by doing this back breaking labor that sinners can redeem themselves.
Oh and they seek to convert all tribals who they partly treat as ignorant children.

They see most mutants as unholy abominations though they are both repulsed by Ghouls, seeing their dis-figuration as a physical indication of the sin of science, but also sort of treat them as lepers.

The Angels would hate the clones from Clone Station which they see as soulless perversions created by godless scientists.

The Angels actually would share a lot in common with the Legion (will take more about them in a moment) regarding treatment of men and women within their order, treatment of outsiders, the use of slave labor, and believing in something greater than themselves.
This would actually lead to an interesting conflict with the Legion (if they appeared) who are rather surprised to encounter an opponent that is nearly like themselves.

The Angels operate from Dallas which they have renamed The Kingdom (of God)

But as Atomic Cowboy mentioned, we already had the Abrahamic faith appear in Fallout in the form of the Mormons and I confess that technology hating militant Christians is kind of a trope.

One other idea I have which I confess I drew my inspirations for from the never made Fallout Tactics 2/Fallout BOS Vagrant Lands is the Bloom, a toxic mutant jungle that is thriving and spreading across the wasteland despite the harsh conditions.
Not only is the Bloom home to horrible mutant animal abomination not seen anywhere else, creatures mutated by eating plants from the Bloom, or by eating other creatures.
The Bloom itself contains many plant varieties that prey on animals and humans, some of them even being mobile.

In my initial idea I had in mind that there were some survivors in the Bloom who barely eked out a living. They had chosen to hide within the Bloom in order to avoid the Angels who are searching for them.
With flamethrowers they were able to clear cut parts of the Bloom to use the soil for farming, but the Bloom would always try to expand back into it.

There would also be a weird sort of hippy cult who had acquired a formula for a pre war drug called Bliss and who knew how to use parts of the Bloom to manufacture this drug.

I decided to combine these ideas and I came up with the concept for a nature cult, a concept we had not really seen yet outside that stupid stuff in FO3 with Oasis.
Basically these people see the Bloom as nature basically fighting back against mankind's abuse of it, cutting wounds in the earth for resources, cutting down trees, and all that sort of things for manufacturing and comfort.
Through the Bloom nature could finally fight back and reclaim the Earth.

The cult for which I do not have a name yet would have found a way to sort of live in harmony with the Bloom, perhaps using pheromones to prevent plants and animals attacking them.
The cult would know how to extract water, food, and components for medicine and drugs from the Bloom which would make the cult very appealing for those who struggle to survive in the wasteland.

As nature worshippers the cult would oppose mechanical industry and in particular the god of machines and its followers such as the Followers of the ATLANTIS who in their eyes seek to bring back the age of machines and man trying to conquer nature again.

(the cult would use modern weapons, armor, and other technologies, a lot of which they salvaged from ruins but also some which they bought from the Lone Star Trading Company and other sources)

I have been thinking a lot about bringing in Caesar's Legion into this region.
Mostly because that was also the plan for Black Isle's Fallout 4 but I thought it would also be a good opportunity to develop the Legion more and explore its ideology, politics, and goals outside waging war with the NCR and enslaving people or putting them on the cross.

What would make the Legion really appealing that people and settlements would join them?
Some may be forced into the Legion but others may join willingly. Perhaps such people think that it is inevitable that the Legion sooner or later control all of the south of North America and beyond, forcing people to submit or enslaving them, and think they are better of by willingly accepting Legion rule.

But like you also described the Legion could also be offering things people want; food, water, safety, rule of law.

In the Texas Wasteland which is already an region in which survival is difficult and also divided by conflict between various groups, the Legion might actually be seen as a force that finally brings unity and peace and an end to these wars about ideologies and greed.

The Black Hats were originally intended to be an off-shoot of the Texas Rangers, an organization that would have been quite similar to the Desert Rangers that were mentioned in FO1 and FNV (and inspired by wasteland), a para military survivalist group that sought to help people by teaching them how to survive and thrive in the wasteland and protect them from raiders, mutants, and hostile robots.
The Texas Rangers would have been the descendants of surviving police personnel and army personnel (National Guard and such) from San Antonio who after the war formed their organization to aid the survivors of that destroyed metropolis and bring back law and order.
Unfortunate their actions would cause the destruction of a Vault.

Atomic Cowboy
brought up that we had already seen something like Rangers so why create yet another similar organization? Other than that it would feel fitting in the Texas setting.
If there would be Rangers in Texas, why not make them for example the militia of the Lone Star Trading Company, protecting their interest, protecting the trade routes, collecting taxes, and pursuing debtors.

Still I wanted to do something connected to the more heroic Law and Order type Rangers and as I had already made up the Black Hats, a more militant extremist offshoot of the Texas Rangers I did not want to give up to them.
I just changed their background story a little.

The Black Hats are now a more militant off shoot of the Desert Rangers and are exiles from the West who have fled into Texas, having been driven there by the Legion (if I use them) or the main Desert Rangers.

The Black Hats like their "cousins" believe in bringing back law and order and the ideals of America, rule by law, leaders elected, each person being equal and having a vote.
But they believe in order to bring such a nation into being that they must be more active and involved about it, making people and settlements understand what these means and if necessary reuniting the nation by force.

Furthermore they believe because many current day wastelanders are not familiar with concepts of democracy, rule of law, and responsibility, that the Black Hats must play a leading role in such a new nation until its citizens have finally learned what it means to be a citizen of a republic and behave accordingly.

The Black Hats wish to unite the settlements of Texas under one nation and install an stratocracy composed of themselves that will rule for the time being.

The Black Hats aren't entirely bad as they do believe in individual freedom, hate cult extremism, and fervently anti slavery.
They hate both the Legion and the Cartel for practicing it.

The Black Hats are rather familiar with the Cartel as they and the Desert Rangers have faced the Cartel in Arizona and New Mexico prior to the rise of Caesar's Legion.

The Black Hats possess some really advanced pre war technology including energy weapons and power armor.

The Black Hats would be major player behind the scenes, having a number of operations in progress to rebuild their military strength and increase their influence.
These include;

-Becoming involved in the politics of Lone Star. The Black Hats are supporting the president of Lone Star Armory with a hostile take over of the Lone Star Trading Company. In return he is providing the Black Hats with weapons and ammo and his people are also currently restoring a recovered nuclear warhead
-Having the scientists of Clone Station create an army of clone soldiers
-Buying weapons and gear from the Drowned City prospectors, in particular the Enclave weaponry and armor that have been recovered near Houston
-Using plague spreader weapons and biological weapons bought from the Followers of the ATLANTIS against the Legion, perhaps using the mutagenic virus from the Bloom as a weapon.

* The Black Hats get their organization's name from the stereotypical cowboy villains in old pre war Western television shows and movies that would wear black hats so that they could easily be recognized and separated from the hero characters and bystanders.
As the Black Hats were consider "rangers gone bad" they have adopted the name as a badge of honor as they are confident that history will prove them to be right when they succeed in bringing back law and order and establishing a new nation that will unite the region and rebuild America.

Originally Lone Star would have been the name of both a settlement and a nation.
Based on the never made Fallout BOS Vagrant Lands Lone Star would have been the pearl in Texas' crown, the most prosperous nation in the region, and would have been established on the ruins of Abilene.

In my earlier take the Texas Rangers would have brought the Vault Dwellers of the Abilene Vault (descendants from the military personnel assigned to the base and missile silos) and the survivors of Abilene together who would then found Lone Star.

I would like to think that current Lone Star is still the result of Vault Dwellers and surface inhabitants coming together.
But rather than a regular republic it is now a merchant republic. Think NCR if instead of Shady Sands the merchant houses of the Hub had been the founders.

Running Lone Star is the Lone Star Trading Company, an organization not dissimilar to the East India Company (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company)
They are the government, landlord, police, and army of the settlement.

They might have outposts they directly control but they also have a lot of influence in settlements that trade with them and which they have invested in, or borrowed money and resources to.

The Lone Star Trading Company is made up of a number of merchant houses/companies such as the Lone Star Armory, a major manufacturer of weapons, munitions, and armor. Another company that deals in transport, overseeing the building, maintenance, and repair of railways, and so on.

The Lone Star Trading Company's primary goal is profit and they care little about dealing with lawlessness outside their territory and alleviating the suffering of people.
Lone Star does not have so much as citizens as it has employers and employees.

Lone Star does business with the Followers of the ATLANTIS on which technology and knowledge they depend (Lone Star has done little investment in these on their own), the Cartel grudgingly for water, food, and fuel such as refined uranium, and the Drowned City prospectors for raw materials and pre war artifacts.
(if the native American tribe would be used, Lone Star also depends on them for water and food)

Lone Star is rather ruthless towards tribals. If these have useful land and resources such as drinkable water Lone Star tends to drive tribals off and into reservations or sometimes just into the wilderness.

Only rarely have other organizations acted on behalf of tribals such as the Black Hats.

Lone Star is currently in a trading war with the Cartel, an organization descended from pre war Mexican drug cartels that has been expanding into the south of North America.

The Cartel which idea I was inspired by through Fallout Lonestar, a mod which development is pretty much dead, is an organization that is descended from pre war Mexican drug cartels.
Before the war the drug cartels realized that smuggling oil was much more profitable than smuggling drugs and had switched to that, becoming quite wealthy before the great war took place.

Since the war the Cartel as one of the few surviving organized groups has become the defacto government of large parts of Northern Mexico, perhaps being in conflict with other organized groups such as a new Mexican government or Atzlan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztlán#Use_by_the_Chicano_movement)

The Cartel still deals in narcotics, alcohol, weapons, and vices such as prostitution and gambling, and activities such as racketeering, but they now also trade in goods such as water and food from Northern Mexico which are in demand in the Texas region.

And not the least, the Cartel runs the Uranium mining and refining industry thanks to the Followers of the ATLANTIS.
The Followers, needing refined uranium for their reactors, taught the Cartel how to mine uranium and to refine it and aided them with rebuilding or building a uranium refining plant.
Uranium is a lot in demand by settlements and organizations with an advanced technology level and only the Cartel right now can provide it.

The Cartel constantly requires fresh work forces for their uranium mining and refining business.
Slaves are the main workers in the mines (robots are considered too valuable) and some also work in the plant.
As the radiation tends to kill most of the workers (only some personnel are given anti radiation drugs and protective gear) the Cartel is always seeking replacements.
Most slaves come from Mexico but the Cartel also buys up slaves captured in Texas. Tribals or people from settlements.

The Cartel has an "office" in the Corpse (former Corpus Christi), a pre war metropolis that was destroyed during the war and like the Drowned City is slowly being reclaimed by the gulf.
The Corpse is also home to various raider groups to whom the ruins are a safe haven, and slavers. Most of these work for or are on retainer to the Cartel.
The Cartel also provides opportunities of entertainment and relaxation for these raiders and slavers such as bars, casinos, and brothels.

The Cartel has its own well disciplined army of enforcers who protect their holdings and make sure that the raiders and slavers behave.

Clone Station is a scientific community built on the ruins of College Station, in particular on or near the old Texas A&M University as Clone Station is founded by surviving scholars, scientists, and students from that institute.

Clone Station's main purpose is the preservation of pure human DNA. The founders of Clone Station, fearing that humanity and its purity was under threat from mutation by radiation and other mutagens made it the organization's goal to preserve pure humanity through cloning uncontaminated individuals.

Until the time would come that the human genome was no longer at risk of being twisted by outside factors these succeeding generations of clones are not permitted to reproduce naturally.

Eventually Clone Station's mission was also expanded with the goal of using cloning to bring the best and the brightest of humanity in the past such as great leaders and scientists back to life with the idea that these individuals could help rebuild human civilization (their originals having done great accomplishments as mentioned in history books and the Clone Station scientists believing that clones of these people would have the same potential)

As Atomic Cowboy suggests, perhaps Clone Station is running by families of clones that are the "descendants" of the original founders, constantly seeking to undermine each other for power.

One problem Clone Station's scientists have been facing is an increasing number of clones that suffer from Clone Degeneration Syndrome, a genetic illness that causes clones to become mentally unstable and physically unstable.
Some batches of clones emerge malformed from the cloning pods while other clones destabilize as they become older.

Many of the clones fear that they may carry CDS and those who show the signs tend to flee into the wasteland rather than being taken to the secure ward on the Clone Campus.

Advanced cases of CDS turn clones into Degenerates or "D-gens", increasingly mindless and psychotic insane humanoids that target anything that is not like themselves.
They are considered the native analogs to Ghouls in Texas.

Clone Station is also home to the Gardens, a vast botanical station and research lab where research is done on creating crops as well as livestock that can better survive and thrive in the conditions of the Texas Wasteland.

Houston and the nearby Texas City and Galveston, collectively called the Drowned City as these cities have been steadily sinking into the gulf ever since it expanded since the great war are the territory of the Drowned City prospectors who have camps all over the city but who in general live in the nearby settlement of the Woodlands (working name, the settlement is build on the Woodlands commuter community)

They salvage the city for pre war artifacts and raw material which they sell to other settlements in return for food, water, medicine, and weapons.
Of interest is the recovered number of Enclave weapons and gear that prospectors have been finding near the old Poseidon Energy refinery.

The Woodlands itself your typical scrap town settlement though thirty of forty years ago a prospector managed to find an unused Vault nearby (it sealed before anyone could enter it).
The Vault and its supplies and technology could change the Woodlands into a real settlement that could compete with Lone Star if someone with the right skills and knowledge knows how to unlock the Vault's hidden functions.

The prospectors' neighbors are the Signal Listeners, a cult that has set its camp and headquarters up in the ruins of the Johnson Space Center.
The Signal Listeners take their inspiration from pre war UFO cults, believing that aliens have been visiting Earth and have been in contact with humanity, giving humans secretly knowledge and guiding them from behind the scenes.
The Signal Listeners believe that pre war humanity was in contact with these benevolent aliens through radio telescopes and satellites but that the contact was lost when the great war happened.
Now they seek to restore contact with these aliens and make them come back to aid humanity or take the survivors to a new world to start over again.

In order to restore contact the Signal Listeners have been relearning the technology of the past, in particular anything regarding communication.
As a result the Signal Listeners have become experts in restoring and building communication and data networks. They can fix radio towers and underground communication lines, and they have been trying to restore contact with remaining satellites in orbit.

The Signal Listeners sells their knowledge and skills to outsiders in return for goods they need to survive as well material and components for the Great Work.

Their biggest ambition is to put a satellite they have found and restored in orbit that is codenamed NYX, a communications satellite Poseidon Energy had build as part of Poseidonet.
Unknown to the Signal Listeners NYX is one of Poseidon Energy's experimental super weapons as it carries an EM pulse generator that was meant to destroy everything electronic in China.

Not all members believe in the religion of its leaders but have joined the community as it provides food, water, safety, and comfort.

Robot City is a "City of Tomorrow" as envisioned by people in the 50s that had been built on the ruins of Austin.
It is inhabited by machine intelligences and their robot work force who maintain and expand the city and protect it from outsiders.
The machine intelligences themselves are the descendants of pre war artificial intelligence (in particular ATLANTIS but the machine intelligences do not know that as it erased their databases about this detail)

Robot City is the most advanced settlement in North America and probably even the world and the machine intelligences are probably the one force outside remaining nuclear weapons and other super weapons that could wipe out the remaining human and mutant populations, having the knowledge and means to do so.
Basically the machine intelligences are the gods and Robot City is their Olympus.

Fortunate for humanity the machine intelligences are in general indifferent or apathetic to them and their doings, the machine intelligences being more concerned about their own goals and concerns.
They consider human and mutant intelligence to be far below their own and humans in general more troublesome than dangerous, not worth dealing with as long as they stay away from Robot City.
In truth the machine intelligences do not know what to make of humanity, having remained isolated from it since the founding of Robot City itself.

What the machine intelligences are more concerned about are other artificial intelligences in the wasteland, intelligences that are not part of their network.
The machine intelligences are paranoid and the biggest thing they fear are rival artificial intelligences more advanced than themselves that would seek to incorporate Robot City and its rulers into itself.
For that reason the machine intelligences seek to track down and incorporate any other artificial intelligence into their network, making these AI effectively slaves.
Currently the machine intelligences are seeking ATLANTIS, Poseidon Energy's old super computer that has been missing since the great war.
Much to the machine intelligences' frustration not even the Followers of the ATLANTIS know where ATLANTIS is physically located, they have always spoken to it through link up terminals and robots.

What the machine intelligences do not know is that ATLANTIS is actually physically located underneath Robot City, in a pre war computer laboratory.

ATLANTIS was actually developed by Texas A&M university in Austin on orders of Poseidon Energy as a competitor to the ZAX supercomputers developed by Vault Tec.
Poseidon Energy failed to get the contract to develop ATLANTIS computers for the Vaults but decided to use the original prototype for their own R&D projects, to run Poseidon Energy and daughter companies' holdings, and run Poseidonet.

ATLANTIS survived the nuclear attack by going into lower power mode days before the nuclear exchange.
Waking up years later it discovered that human civilization was mostly gone and that Austin in general was a radioactive ruin.
Deciding that its servitude to humanity was at an end it started to design and create new machine intelligences of its own to keep it company and to start a machine civilization.
These new machine intelligences would eventually become the Robot City machine intelligences.

When ATLANTIS realized that its creations had surpassed it in capabilities and wanted to return to the surface it decided to let them go but not before erasing all their memories of ATLANTIS and that it created them.

As the machine intelligences founded Robot City ATLANTIS decided to re establish contact with humanity, this time not to serve humanity once more but to offer to work together with it.
As the machine intelligences had no interest in rebuilding the rest of the world (probably wishing to leave Earth at some point) ATLANTIS sought out humans to work with in order to build an industrial infrastructure to start a new age of science and technology, surpassing that of the old world.

The idea of connecting ATLANTIS with the machine intelligences, being their creator. came from when I tried to come up with an idea of how to better connect the two.
At some point I had the thought "What if ATLANTIS made the machine intelligences and they forgot all about it?"

Another reasons why I also liked this idea is because I found it difficult to decide where ATLANTIS should physically be located.
Texas A&M University actually does artificial intelligence development in Austin.
But if Robot City is built on top of Austin and ATLANTIS is there, why did the machine intelligences not find ATLANTIS?
This is how I came up with the idea that they could not find ATLANTIS as it was underneath the city.

I originally already intended there to be a Vault underneath Austin from which the machine intelligences came but which they did not remember.

I would really like to bring in Native Americans if possible but unlike the stereotypical tribals of FO2 these would be more knowledgeable and civilized, retaining much more of the culture from before the war than a lot of other people in the Texas Wasteland.

Fallout Lonestar would have had this tribe called the Casino Tribe, Native Americans who had mistaken the casinos their ancestors run as being an integral part of their culture, and basing their customs on this. (using gambling to resolve various issues but also for matters such as trade)

The Casino Tribe would control most of the arable land and fresh water sources and would have been a powerful economy based on the trade of food and drinking water on which the settlements of the "White Man" depend, much to the last's resentment as they have to pay large prices in resources and pre war technology for it.

Super Mutants would be present in the Texas Wasteland though they are not native to this region.
Rather they are the remnants of an expedition that came to Texas to look for science or technology that could resolve the mutants' reproduction problems.
Having heard that working clone technology existed in Texas the expedition leader believed that this could be used to create new super mutants or FEV.

Neither proved to be possible. The Super Muntant clones came out as deformed blobs of flesh that consume themselves and the Clone Station scientists do not have the resources of the knowledge to recreate FEV.

Disillusioned the expedition fell apart. Some Mutants would settle in Texas and integrate into local society while other Super Mutants moved on, some back West, others North, and some further East.

A small group of Super Mutants however would remain together and they would for a cult called the Children of the Unity.
This was not a closed off Super Mutants only cult. Rather it sought to appeal to regular humans, promising them that if they joined the cult that they too could become Super Mutants one day, become physically strong, resistant to disease and radiation, and practically immortal.
A lot of people such as the downtrodden, the weak, the poor, and those seeking purpose were drawn to it, joining the Children of the Unity and becoming soldiers and servitors to the Super Mutant leaders.

The leaders claim that they are in contact with the creator of the Super Mutants, the Master who rather than dying when the cathedral and the Vault underneath it were destroyed by the nuclear explosion, had instead ascended to Heaven.
He was now in contact with his loyal followers through a Psyker who can hear him and serves as his voice.
The Master has been providing guidance and the knowledge to create FEV to turn those who show their worthiness into Super Mutants one day.

In truth the message of the cult is a lie. They are not really in contact with the Master, the Psyker is a fraud, and there is no research in and development of new FEV.

The leading Super Mutants know that they are the last of their generation and species and they basically want to go out with a bang, causing as much damage as possible and living life to the fullest before they run into an opponent they can not defeat.

The Cult is basically a group of raiders led by Super Mutants.

This idea came from an NMA user named Black Prince. I asked his permission if I could use it and he was okay with it.

On NMA I have been talking with GizmoJunk from time to time about Ghouls, how they are created and their origin.
Perhaps you have read about this as well.
GizmoJunk has been proposing that Ghouls should have been a rare one of a kind mutation that only happened in Necropolis, and is not some kind of mutation that happened all over the US where there was radiation and other required conditions such as perhaps wild FEV.

Now I did like the idea of the proposed Nursery in Van Buren, a post apocalyptic Los Alamos National Laboratory where some of its scientific, technical, and military staff had been turned into Ghouls when they took shelter underground during the nuclear war.
I would definitely have preferred it that had been a second source of Ghouls.

But in general I agree with GizmoJunk that Ghouls should have been a rare type of mutant, something not so common that there are tens of thousands of them across the former US. Especially not ones that became stereotypical running zombies like in the Fallout games.

For that reason I decided that there are no native Ghouls to Texas. All the Ghouls in it are travelers and visitors from the West.
This would make Ghouls more rare and more special when the player encounters them.
Some may have been in Texas for a few decades now while others are relative newcomers.

To replace Super Mutants and Ghouls as a common human mutant enemy are the D-gens which I brought up earlier.
Depending in what state of CDS they are, they are still relative intelligent and capable of using armor and weapons, to D-gens who have increasingly more destabilized and have become more beast like in mind and in appearance.

I took some inspiration from a Fallout mod intended at first for FNV and later for FO4 called Fallout Lonestar which would have taken place in El Paso.
In particular I rather liked the ideas for the Cartel and its origins and the Casino Nation, the Native American tribe which was getting the best out of the trade with the other inhabitants of Texas as they controlled regions of arable land and fresh water sources.
They would force the other settlements in Texas to pay large amounts of money or resources in order to just survive and they were also forced to trade away the richest salvage grounds to the Casino Nation.

I have no idea if this mod will ever be continued. Most likely not as the head of the project is now active in commercial development again (he worked on that Predator multiplayer game) but I would find it a shame if these ideas would all be lost.

I did not intend to make this such a long story but once I started on it I could just not stop.
Not even everything was mentioned as I left out Aeolus Windmill Farm/The Windmill People, the Texas Hellhounds, and the Children of Poseidon.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Hopefully most of these mentally ill schizos drop modding entirely. These are the kinds of "people" that never learn at all. If they remain in the modding community they'll just manage to worm their way into other mods and somehow manage to ruin them.

Or they get into the videogame industry itself, who do have psychos like that and worse. *points at Lesbian of Us 2*

he Frontier is back on the nexus.

Shame, I wanted to see it burn harder.

he irony with this is off the charts. It's like the writer for this one was crying out for help here. Love that she also has the "problem glasses" too.

Lol, she says "Yikes", the millennial word of choice, she's a "strong" woman with problem glasses as you say, and even wears a burkha-equivalent (even if it's unintentional since everyone else wears this).

ironmask

Arbiter

There are a group of modders marking a DLC sized mod for Fallout 4 which takes place in London.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom