Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fan Fallout: Fallout By the Fans

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
By now most of you fully realize how dissapointed I am over Bethesda getting the Fallout license and now my hopes of enjoying FO3 is all but dashed. Anyways, I posted an 'I quit!" message on one of the mega threads. Now, now folks. I'm not Visceris. I don't quit so easily and when I quit I actually quit.

That's the catch. What did I quit, you ask? I quit waiting around for devs like Bethesda to cash in on my fave series (which may also happen with BG and, yes, even NWN). but, what was I to do? Simple. A fellow named enderwiggin also had enough and made a call out for Fallout fans to start our own mod. Usually, I'd be reluctant to such an undertaking; but my disgust of Bethesda is more disgusting then any other gaming disgust I have (save, perhaps, POR2). I know, I know. you are thinking,"Not another mod!". If that bores ya (or my post does) stop reading as I'm only getting started.

The main reason why I jumped at this chance to develop a Falllout mod is because I want any Fallout game or pseudo game to at least capture the spirit of Fallout hence, why I joined. With this mind, here are the must haves that will be a part of this project no matter:

* Isometric/3rd person (same exact view as the FO series)

* Turn Based combat

* The 50s post nuclear wasteland feel and atmosphere

* Multiple solutions to 99.9% (if not 100%) of all quests

*Complete Player Freedom

* SPECIAL will stay intact (though there will be twinks and twicks depending on the team agreeing)

The above is factual, and non negotiable. It will be a whole new story, and the major theme will be war as in the theme we all hear constantly when playing Fallout: "War.War Never Changes." Other themes will also be covered but war is the central theme.

Things we are toying with (some are almost assured; others have to be discussed):

* New mutated creatures of the wasteland

* More Complex and Deep Joinable NPCs (ala PST & BG2; but hopefully much more mature considering the theme - of course)

* Possibly Old & New Vehicle types (most likely a car and possibly a motorcycle of some sort - this is to be discussed in length)

* As mentioned above, and this can't be stressed enough, all quests can be solved in multiple way. Your choices will effect your standing with various groups AND the possible end game. Choose wisely.

Now, we are in the early stages of planning. Our first design document is well into being written as we type this. We have our base story planned out, and how we'd like to see it work out. To start with, our intention is to start very small - one small city as our demo so people can see for themselves what we are and are not capable of achieving. The starting town is named Estes and that's all I will reveal at this time.

If you need to know, my duties on the project are mainly writing and design. We also have a few other what i believe to be talented writer on staff as well as a few other sueful people like our resident artist and mapper. At this time we have enough writers; and we have others; but another mapper, artist, or scripter would also be very handy at this time. Anyone interested in writing will sadly have to wait until the demo is released and we determine where we got to go from there. Though this is a team effort since Enderwiggin began this little project and is our leader by default; he is the Team leader. So far, i have been very impressed with his patience (with me espicially and my brand of "spunk"), and organizational skills. He also helps in others like picking out the starting town and being a great help in choosing our 'main story' and espicially our theme.

Any comments, opinions, or inquires into joining the project or if you simply want to to give input on what you'd like to see in a Fallout project head on over to our message boards: http://fanfallout.noreality.net/phpBB2/index.php our website, though bare, is up and running now and can be found at the following address: http://fanfallout.noreality.net/index.htm

In conclusion, i know some of you are scoffing at our project (I mean anything with Volourn involved with it has to be bad); but we are all serious about our mission. remember, we plan to start small with the demo and work our way up to something major if all goes well. Chances going by the odds are slim; but nothing worth the risk isn't worth doing is my motto. Thank you in your patience in reading this post. Forgive any errors as I did try to keep the mistakes to a minimum..

If you have any questions about this project and/or my part in said project don't hesitate to ask me here.

Thank you,

Volourn.

P.S. I apologize in advance if I broke any rules for spamming links to a self pimped fan project. Either way, just to suck up, I love this site. :cool:

EvoG

Erudite
Dude...fuck it, just wait for Phoenix. Its got all you want and more. Just cuz I'm not talking about it doesn't mean its not coming. ;)

Good luck otherwise :D

Cheers

Psilon

Erudite
Sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick! A whole post with only two spacing mistakes! ("non negotiable" and "anythingw ith.")

If you start spellchecking your posts as well, I may have to look into purchasing some apocalypse insurance.

More on topic, is this a mod or a clone? I haven't looked much at the Fallout editor, but I'd think it would be pretty damn difficult to strip SPECIAL out of the system. As a consequence, why hype rule compatibility?

plin

Liturgist
Get rosh and some other know-it-alls to help, I'd love to see how shitty it is when it's released.

:D

otherwise good luck to you

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Psilon:

"Sweet zombie Jesus on a pogo stick! A whole post with only two spacing mistakes! ("non negotiable" and "anythingw ith.") "

I'll have to fire my editor. Those mistakes shouldn't have been let by..

"More on topic, is this a mod or a clone? I haven't looked much at the Fallout editor, but I'd think it would be pretty damn difficult to strip SPECIAL out of the system. As a consequence, why hype rule compatibility?"

This isn't my area of expertise; but I believe it's the FO2 editor that we are sticking with for the most part. As for hyping rule compatibility; blame Bethesda for getting me on edge. I just wanted to make clear that we are going to try and hopefully be successful in making a Fallout game or mod. Take your pick. Like I said, there might very well be rule changes and the like; but it won't get past the point where one will be forced to ask themselves,"Is this really SPECIAL?" there is no intention of even coming close to crossing over that line.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn, if you put half the work into this that you do making 50+ posts a day, I have no doubt this will happen. A sincere good luck to you.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
This looks like another normal going soft and acting like a noober, make stupid wishful statements like "MAKE FALLOUT 4 US BY US" volourn and "BETHESDA GIV TROIKA GAME PLZ LOL" chrisbeddoes. This is usually caused by tramatic events like Bethesada getting Fallout, there is no cure except to ban them for all eternity hoping the disease does not spread.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
xJEDx wrote:

"Volourn, if you put half the work into this that you do making 50+ posts a day, I have no doubt this will happen. A sincere good luck to you."

Thanks, X. Much appreciated. :cool:

Just like to make some things clear. I'm not super naive. I know most of these types of projects never see the light of the day for all sorts of reasons - development team imploding, real life getting in the way, the fact that projects like these if taken seriously by those involved are hard work. Since it's early in development, there is no guarantee it will be released; but I do guarantee that I plan to make sure the best attempt possible to make it so. I believe my fellow team members are in for the long haul to. Our first design doc for the demo has been written up, our artist has already begun work on one of the new mutant beasties, and on and on. I can list a ton of stuff here; but it's best summed up by stating the demo should clarify things to others or just ask questions here and I'll do my best to answe them or chekc out the message board so you can 'meet' the rest of the team. Your choice.

Pooper wrote:

"This looks like another normal going soft and acting like a noober, make stupid wishful statements like "MAKE FALLOUT 4 US BY US" volourn and "BETHESDA GIV TROIKA GAME PLZ LOL" chrisbeddoes. This is usually caused by tramatic events like Bethesada getting Fallout, there is no cure except to ban them for all eternity hoping the disease does not spread."

Nothing wrong with going with this belief. My mere words here won't be enough to change your mind on the subject.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Evog: Eh. Didn't mean to ignore you. there just isn't much to reply to except thanks and to stress it's not about competition. At least not to me. I hope your project turns out great. :cool:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
* Possibly Old & New Vehicle types (most likely a car and possibly a motorcycle of some sort - this is to be discussed in length)

I think the first step in discussing this should be figuring out how far after the war this was, and whether or not cars should exist at all. Cars basically mean civilization in Fallout, because they allow you a means to enforce whatever civilization your area has further than ever before.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Plin: The only thing I'll tell you is as I stated in the first post. The major theme is war so the mains tory will involve war. The PC can play a big or small part in the war; but no matter the choice OR non choice it will effect the outcome. The wasteland will change; but as the saying goes; war *never* does.Throughout the game your choices will effect who wins (if anyone can actually win a war), and who loses. Even standing by and doing nothing but worry about your own survival is a valid choice.. but will have consequences throughout the game. Though we have the over arching story basics done, for now, we are concentrating on the demo just to determine what we are capable of one way or another. That will be telling..Ehh.. Told too much...

P.S. Sorry for being 'cryptic'; but it's not my place to give too much info on the story other than these very vague deatils.

P.S.S. To make it perfectly clear,(not that anyone asked) the PC is not the Vault Dweller or a descendant of. I believe we are sitting it about 20 years after FO2 and to the north of the original area of California...

Saint: It's set about 20 years after FO2. Vehicles will *not* be common. In fact, we haven't 'officially' discussed this yet; but just passed around officially at this time.

TO: Yeah, which is why we have a few people who are experienced with it and possibly a few more interested in joining the project. This end isn't my main job though though I will try* to learn the basics.

EvoG

Erudite
Yea I'm kidding...have fun.

Just don't forget me...Fallout will be a distant memory after you play Phoenix(not the real name). :P

Cheers

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
If you girls are serious why dont you help out on existing mods like FMF, because there hasnt been one serious mod for Fallout released evar and adding this game to the competing to be released list wont change that. Anyways can I be a betatester?

Evog: you know i love<3 pheonix

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Evog: No problem. No worries.

Pooper: The main reason being is those other projects have been worked onfor x amount of time so we didn't want to step on others' toes. We have an 'ideal' story laid out. As for play testing, I don't know if we'll have outisde help playtesting the demo; but as for the main game that's a ways away so who knows. I'd have no problem with it for sure.

Other stuff that I've been 'okayed' to pass along..

* "The project is best classified as a new campaign, or a total conversion. We are keeping the FO2 engine, and adding a whole new story with new locations and characters. "

* For Saint And His Valid Car Thoughts -" The Fallout Bible lists 1 car to every 100 people. We may have more than one form of transportation, but that's not a major concern at this point. We won't be GTA with numerous cars for the taking everyone.
In regards to the post that cars = civilization, it is 170 years after bombs dropped. But rest assured, the Wasteland will remain the Wasteland. "

This is a very good time to point out that we have every intention of staying as close to the FO bible as possible while still maintaining some creative license.

* I'm no techie; but the following makes sense even to me: "The reason we will succeed where so many fail, is because we have reasonable small goals. We're working on a few maps, and one city to start. There are mods made by a single person that add new cities to FO2. People have put lots of work until cracking the various file formats, and there is a community of talented modders working on Fallout. 3 years ago, this project would be near impossible. Today, it's very feasible."

Stuff in quotes are others words; but I pretty much agree with them in principle. Lots of the engine work *has* alreayd been done and the FO Bible has clarified the whole vehicle thing (though I haven't personally verified that). Also, I shall note, even though I haven't been big on the FO Bible band wagon, I have been catching up on them and digetsing it because as a team it was decided that it would be best to stick as close to the FO Bible as humanly possible.

I hope some of this has cleared up some things brought up which are all valid points to be addressed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hey, maybe we'll at least warrant a space in your sig under RIP: Black Isle Studios! :lol: :cry:

RGE

Liturgist
Volourn said:
* For Saint And His Valid Car Thoughts -" The Fallout Bible lists 1 car to every 100 people. We may have more than one form of transportation, but that's not a major concern at this point. We won't be GTA with numerous cars for the taking everyone.
In regards to the post that cars = civilization, it is 170 years after bombs dropped. But rest assured, the Wasteland will remain the Wasteland. "
Fallout Bible Update 5 said:
6. About how many working or servicable cars are there at the time of FO2? Obviously there must be more then one, since the guy in new reno has a garage fully staffed, and most likely has a large supply of parts( im assuming that was what the warehouse building next to the garage was filled up with, you couldnt pick up anything off of them)

Probably not too many, but I don't know the exact number. The real problem isn't fuel, it's mostly tires and other degradable parts that have gone to the dogs in the past 100 years. For every two hundred or so people, there might be one working vehicle, and even "the local clunker" wouldn't be up to factory specs. NCR is rumored to have a mechanized vehicle division outside of its farming vehicles, but the number of vehicles in the division is unknown.
Fallout Bible Update 6 said:
6. Last update, you said there were 1/200 cars/people ration in the NCR. If there were so many working cars in NCR, where were they?

They’re there. It’s game logic. You don’t see them for the same reason NCR is only three maps, only has 1 councilor/senator, and only about 40-50 people in its city limits. That’s why the Chop Shop in Reno exists, why the bum outside of NCR offers to watch a car for you before you show up in one, and a reason that NCR built a garage in Shady Sands.

That still seems a lot to me. Personally I'm still hoping for a car or wagon pulled by brahmin. At least being able to ignore any working cars in favour of a portable stash of brahmin-level tech would be cool. Being a roadwarrior is only cool if there are other roadwarriors to race with. Being the only one in a car feels pretty stupid. :)

Will the vehicles move around though? That changes things...if they can race around the hex grid. Never played Fallout: Tactics - didn't it have moving vehicles?

Volourn said:
* I'm no techie; but the following makes sense even to me: "The reason we will succeed where so many fail, is because we have reasonable small goals. We're working on a few maps, and one city to start. There are mods made by a single person that add new cities to FO2. People have put lots of work until cracking the various file formats, and there is a community of talented modders working on Fallout. 3 years ago, this project would be near impossible. Today, it's very feasible."
It does indeed sound feasible if you stick to a single town. I drew most of the map for a town in Arcanum (yup, coolest town evar), and placed some token NPCs in a few places. But then someone distracted me by shoving NWN into my lap, and since that game was much easier to modify I figured I'd have more fun modding that. But I think I'd have higher hopes for your project if it was compatible with the game it is based on. At least then, if you end up not doing much beyond that one town, it might perhaps be possible to add it to the Fallout 2 map. Or isn't that how it works?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom