Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fan Fallout: Fallout By the Fans

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Volourn said:
* Isometric/3rd person (same exact view as the FO series)
EvoG said:
Dude...fuck it, just wait for Phoenix. Its got all you want and more.
http://www.thevats.net/forums/viewtopic ... 096#175096

EvoG said:
Anyway, remember when I talked about a 'previous' version of the game? Well I've decided to go ahead in that direction. Top down games is just not where I truly wanted to be. I enjoy playing them when well done, but are never as immersive as a first/third person game. Those of us who've been gaming since the dawn of games, can easily be attached to nostalgia. A part of me was eager to impress you guys with a hardcore successor, albeit spirtual, to Fallout, but would time and again get burned out. As a 'gamer' I wasn't enjoying the exploration of the world as I tested. It was work. When that happens, the game will only suffer. I had to be honest with what "I" wanted to make, and not worry if I piss off a bunch of guys in the community.

Isometric | Third-Person Perspective | First-Person Perspective

Volourn said:
A fellow named enderwiggin also had enough and made a call out for Fallout fans to start our own mod.
POOPERSCOOPER said:
If you girls are serious why dont you help out on existing mods like FMF, because there hasnt been one serious mod for Fallout released evar and adding this game to the competing to be released list wont change that.
Volourn would never pass our mystical application process.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
Anyways can I be a betatester?
Traitor.

Greenskin13 said:
POOPERSCOOPER said:
The site needs a shot in the arm.
Actually I thought about pulling it down and just leaving the forums but eh... some people want to feel like they're being kept informed.

Anyway, good luck Volourn etc...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
By now most of you fully realize how dissapointed I am over Bethesda getting the Fallout license and now my hopes of enjoying FO3 is all but dashed.

Really? I never got that idea by your posts here, at Obsidian, or at Missy's Lair :P

With this mind, here are the must haves that will be a part of this project no matter:

* SPECIAL will stay intact (though there will be twinks and twicks depending on the team agreeing)

TWEAK BLOODY MESS OR SUFFER MY WRATH!

Things we are toying with (some are almost assured; others have to be discussed):

* New mutated creatures of the wasteland

* More Complex and Deep Joinable NPCs (ala PST & BG2; but hopefully much more mature considering the theme - of course)

I pitched for these two in one way or another so i hope they're taken into consideration.

* Possibly Old & New Vehicle types (most likely a car and possibly a motorcycle of some sort - this is to be discussed in length)

See your own boards for my thoughts on those :P

* As mentioned above, and this can't be stressed enough, all quests can be solved in multiple way. Your choices will effect your standing with various groups AND the possible end game. Choose wisely.

The Chose One must choose, after all.

EvoG

Erudite
Sheesh DU, you can't take a joke? Bah! I thought you knew me better than that.

Cheers

Raymondo

Liturgist
We also have a few other what i believe to be talented writer on staff as well

There is a big difference between writing and designing; just because someone has nice writing skills doesn’t mean they can design a game especially a game like Fallout.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Holy fuck! Volourn made a long post without typos! about making a Fallout mod!! with BG2 NPCs!!! I will follow Psilon's example and get me that very handy during the end of the world apocalypse insurance.

Well, congratulations, Volourn, on acquiring a worthy goal and good luck to you. Keep us posted.

but but but....you're not Tim Cain - and I thought that was the whole point; Bethesda not being Tim Cain and all. If "only Tim Cain can make Fallout3", then why are you even trying?

suibhne

Erudite
Arcadian Del Sol said:
but but but....you're not Tim Cain - and I thought that was the whole point; Bethesda not being Tim Cain and all. If "only Tim Cain can make Fallout3", then why are you even trying?

You have much to learn, my young padawan. Let's start with "reading comprehension."

Your first exercise will be to read all of Volourn's forum posts from the past 150 days.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
RGE: Like I said, we haven't discussed the vehicles that much of yet as there will probably not be any in the first town/demo. There will not be that mnany vehicle, however. Certainly not 1 out of 100 or even 200. Brahmin stuff is a definite possibility. As for the vehicles actually moving around as you suggest, I doubt we'll go that far with them.

Yeah, that's why we're sticking to one town to start with. Then we can address what we can and cannot do. Also, so we can determine how many more writers, artists, and the like will be needed. our motto is to smart small and gof rom there.

Everyone: Ok, ok. I get it. :D There are many FO mods out there. Yes, i know that these projects don't always (if rarely) come to fruitation); but, hey, that's the mission we accepted when we decided on the course. We shall see the outcome ..

Role-Player wrote the following:

"Really? I never got that idea by your posts here, at Obsidian, or at Missy's Lair"

Damn. I thought I was being subtle. :P

"TWEAK BLOODY MESS OR SUFFER MY WRATH! '

Heh. Everyone needs a crusade; but sadly, at this time, I think the others seem to favour not to; though we may land up making it more useful in interactions (ie. Your companions might comment on some of your bloodiest attacks).

"The Chosen One must choose, after all."

Sadly, there is no 'Chosen One' in this story.

Raymondo2000 wrote:

"There is a big difference between writing and designing; just because someone has nice writing skills doesn’t mean they can design a game especially a game like Fallout"

I agree. All I can say, that for myself, I will use my experience in designing pnp campaigns and gof rom there. of course, I haven't designed in actual PC CRPG and there will be differences (obviously, one of the biggest differences, all possiblities have to be considered in game and not on the fly). We shall see...

Vault Dweller wrote:

"Well, congratulations, Volourn, on acquiring a worthy goal and good luck to you. Keep us posted."

Thank you, and I apologize that you are no longer the star of the FO series. :twisted:

Arcadian Del Sol:

"but but but....you're not Tim Cain - and I thought that was the whole point; Bethesda not being Tim Cain and all. If "only Tim Cain can make Fallout3", then why are you even trying?"

Hmm.. Being coy is cool. Of course, you have me mixed up with another. You see, I could live with FO3 not being made by Tim Cain and co as there are more thana few capable development houses out there. I just don't think Bethesda is the developer to do it, and nothing they've said thus far on the subject as changed that opinion.

As for trying/ Why not try? Everyone whines about us whiners whining about the 'death of FO' and say we shouldn't whine if we won't do anything about it so that's why. Now, we can do something about it and be 'allowed" to whine to our hearts' content. :shock:

Peace... err... War.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Role-Player wrote the following:

"TWEAK BLOODY MESS OR SUFFER MY WRATH! '

Heh. Everyone needs a crusade; but sadly, at this time, I think the others seem to favour not to; though we may land up making it more useful in interactions (ie. Your companions might comment on some of your bloodiest attacks).

Actually, Ender stated that he would try and replace Bloody Mess with Night Person, but that at this point there were some problems with changing the Traits. I'm fine with it, really. Like i told him, all i did was give suggestions, but the team is the one that decides what has merit and what is feasible. I just throw rocks at the lake and create ripples.

"The Chose One must choose, after all."

Sadly, there is no 'Chosen One' in this story.

Sadly? That's a winning point right there :cool:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
Thank you, and I apologize that youy are no longer the star of the FO series. :twisted:
You've confused me with somebody else. I'm not THE vault dweller, I'm A vault dweller, as in one of those similarly looking guys living in a vault.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Role-Player: Agree. I ahven't really given my opinion on your idea, I don't think. That's mainly because I'm neutral on it. I'll probably just go with what the group decides on that particular subject. Heh. besides, it was justa couple of dofuses who seemed to take your suggestions so personally. Entertaining, nontheless.

Vault Dweller: meh. You just had to go and ruin my little quip, huh? :? :D

EvoG

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
If you need anyone to write unneccesarily offensive dialogue i'm you're biped.

Well, I gather from you comment on the piece I just upped, and here offering your writing services, that you must write regularly. I'd love to see some sample work you got; would you post something we could check out?

Later man.

EDIT: In my sleepless stupor, I got my two peeps mixed up, Strait Laced and Whipporowill, ...so um...nevermind! Though you should still post shit Strait.

Cheers

Reklar

Liturgist
Wow, Volourn can be verbose, focused, and completely normal sounding all in the same post?!? Who's selling that insurance again? ;)

Seriously though, good luck to you and your team, Volourn. If I can think of anything to offer other than support I will, but I am sure you have many capable fans contributing to your project already and don't need another (since I don't posses any computer art or scripting talent - maybe I should learn?). I'll be sure to stop by your message board and lurk at the very least though and offer suggestions if I can think of any. Again, best of luck to you, and on a personal note, thanks for stepping out of your online persona long enough to show you aren't another Gromnir who never posts normally. ;)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
* For Saint And His Valid Car Thoughts -" The Fallout Bible lists 1 car to every 100 people. We may have more than one form of transportation, but that's not a major concern at this point. We won't be GTA with numerous cars for the taking everyone.
In regards to the post that cars = civilization, it is 170 years after bombs dropped. But rest assured, the Wasteland will remain the Wasteland. "

The FO Bible has always been fairly incorrect in terms of the setting. That's why there's all those updates for it, where MCA's taken a position and Fallout fans have mailed him stating such and such was wrong. On the subject of cars, MCA has pretty much always been FALLOUT HAS CARZ! NYAH NYAH NYAH! based on assumptions about the game from Fallout 2.

He takes things like NCR having a garage and assumes that NCR has a fleet of cars for both military and argicultural work. NCR also has that car port shed deal on the outside, so it must have lots of cars, right? Then again, NCR is also a trading hub between Vault City, Redding, Broken Hills and the southern parts of California. Trading means Brahmin carts. Storing a load of trade goods for a stop over in NCR would require some sort of shelter like that port. Carts would need to be maintained and cars would need to be chopped down to make carts from, hince a garage in which to do it.

Personally, I think the whole game logic explanation of things is a load of horseshit used to establish that he really wanted loads of cars putting around the universe. He uses game logic to say that those places exist so there must be cars, but apparently that game logic also rules in his favor when people say that if there were all these cars, why didn't we see them?

Basically, what I'm saying is when it comes down to it, you should just ignore the Fallout Bibles. Stick with Fallout 1 as the canon, and when it comes to cars, stick with what the guy in the used car encounter says.

RGE

Liturgist
What does that guy say? Does he say that there are no cars, will never be any cars and that's all there is to it? :)

In an effort to spread the goodness, I let someone borrow my Fallout 1, and now I don't remember who it was, and no one admits to having it stashed someplace at home. So I don't remember what that guy said. :(

Dan

Liturgist
RGE said:
In an effort to spread the goodness, I let someone borrow my Fallout 1, and now I don't remember who it was, and no one admits to having it stashed someplace at home. So I don't remember what that guy said. :(

What? You mean you have only one copy of Fallout? :)

About the fan made thingy, I wish you luck and I don't aim to depress you or something, but chances are it won't get made, like all the rest of the ambitious mods and projects out there.
Would be nice if it does get finished though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
SP wrote: "Basically, what I'm saying is when it comes down to it, you should just ignore the Fallout Bibles. Stick with Fallout 1 as the canon, and when it comes to cars, stick with what the guy in the used car encounter says."

Well, as you know, I'm not the biggest fan of the Bible; but as a team we decided it would be best to stick to the bible as close as possible. Of course, this *doesn't* mean there'll be dozens of vehicles around. No worries there.

Reklar: Thanks, and I try.

Dan: All true. Of course, one should note as low as the chance of it being finished; imagine the chances of it being finished if it was attempted? :P

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
EvoG said:
Sheesh DU, you can't take a joke? Bah! I thought you knew me better than that.
Oh sure. "Joke". I get you... Haha. You and your ploys.

When are you getting your Phoenix forum on the Codex. Ditch that shit at DaC for real, yo?

EvoG

Erudite
Up to Saint and/or Ex...

...and yea, I was truly honestly joking...sick huh? DaC was(at the time of my writing) so dead, it was just a non-issue, so I figured what the heck.

Cheers

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Guess I should wish Volourn and comrades good luck, they'll need it. Frankly, there must be a reason why there hasn't been a single good mod in all these years.

Anonymous

One thing I always wanted in Fallout is low ammo and guns, I think an option like JA2's gun option would be nice (Lots of Guns and Ammo = Like how Fallout is now, Post-Apocalypse Guns and Ammo = Low ammo, fewer guns).

Also, I think a player would need high repair skill and a good knowledge of mechanics (Perhaps a book or holotape) along with the mega rare gas to get a car going.

EvoG

Erudite
Thanks Spazmo I will...but only when there's stuff to look at.

Later bro

Cheers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom