Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasian

mushaden

Scholar
Produced and written by Hironobu Sakaguchi, with music by Nobuo Uematsu. Environs are handmade dioramas and look really cool to me.

Only on Apple Arcade
:rage:

Part 1 out, anyone played?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and can't get past the first warp. Just a black screen with something that sounds like a Tie-Fighter. Seems like it's a iPhone 12 issue. Why the fuck it hasn't been patched is beyond me

Amurada

Educated
Combat seemed bland. The encounter build up just seems like a way to alleviate oft perceived annoyances of random encounters, and basically just presents you with a shooting gallery after the fact. granted, I watched a live stream of the first couple of hours -- up to the money tree. Sakaguchi never meant much to me to begin with. maybe he's the reason some of the FF stories were decent, I guess; but mechanically, I much prefer VIII, X-2, and the XIII series. Wanted to enjoy Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey - not cos of Sakaguchi, but ex-Nautilus staff - but goddamn those games were dull. Sakaguchi insists on keeping the worst aspects of games that he worked on. The ability system worked in FFTA/A2, but was dull as hell in FFIX; and I don't know why in the hell anyone likes FFX' combat -- its nice that they got rid of what was up till then, the ATB shite that was nothing other than a gimmick, but the replacement was merely rock, paper, scissors at its most basic.

Some aspects of the diorama design aesthetic are appealing, but the camera work in this game is appalling. I prefer fixed camera perspectives, with an on rails camera, but goddamn if most people tend to fuck that up. Mikami talked about how hard it was to get that right for Killer 7, but most others tend to not bother dealing with the kinks whatsoever. As for the motifs, seems like derivative anime bullshit, with little to no redeeming value. They ought to have leaned into the Diorama motifs, and made a more lighthearted game. Crystal Chronicles can get morbid at times, no reason why they couldn't have accomplished something similar here.

The episodic format means they could at least address the dull combat system, and spin it into something halfway decent. Doubt that it'll happen tho :(

Jinn

Arcane
Looks like we're likely going to be getting a PC port after all! Momentous not only because it would be escaping the clutches of Apple, but also because it'd be the first Mistwalker game to ever come to PC. Please bring us Lost Odyssey too...

https://jp.ign.com/fantasian/66098/news/ffrpgfantasian-pc

(https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/13928-yes-mistwalker-please-port-fantasian-to-pc)

Sakaguchi also talks about a possible sequel. Amazes me the life and vigor that's left in the guy after all these years. Just an all around good guy.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
lol I love the haphazardly crossed out apple store logos on the bottom of that image. Awesome news!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Opening up the door for potential Mistwalker ports. Ahem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom