Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Fantasy General II by Slitherine Games

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a "move all" button? Trying to move 8-10 different units every turn gets pretty tiresome pretty fast.

thesecret1

Arcane
Just finished the Invasion Campaign on hardest difficulty (no scaling). Holy shit that was long. Not terribly difficult, to be honest – sunken lands were about the toughest (and most tedious) part of the game, with enemy spam out the ass, but the later levels were kind of a breeze. Most likely because you already have full roster and so spend your stuff on training – with enough upgrades, your units are basically space marines that steamroll the Empire without much difficulty. Still, pretty fun game overall.

Lilliput McHammersmith

I’m still partway through the Invasion campaign and I’m mostly having a blast. I wish that ranged units were their own tree, but it’s still pretty fun.

It also seems strange when the enemy has better ranged units than you, that also somehow are much tankier than your ranged units. (Talking about longbowmen vs your slingers)

The other thing that I’m sure everyone here recognizes is that not being able to choose your own general for the campaign is somewhat lame.

Parabalus

Arcane
Just finished the Invasion Campaign on hardest difficulty (no scaling). Holy shit that was long. Not terribly difficult, to be honest – sunken lands were about the toughest (and most tedious) part of the game, with enemy spam out the ass, but the later levels were kind of a breeze. Most likely because you already have full roster and so spend your stuff on training – with enough upgrades, your units are basically space marines that steamroll the Empire without much difficulty. Still, pretty fun game overall.

I wonder how difficult (and tedious) it was at release, where there was no training or merchants. The later levels would have certainly been tougher.

It also seems strange when the enemy has better ranged units than you, that also somehow are much tankier than your ranged units. (Talking about longbowmen vs your slingers)

You can get those imperial units via volunteers from camps.

They are better, only niche for the barbarian ranged units is point blank on enemy fliers, since that happens often.

The other thing that I’m sure everyone here recognizes is that not being able to choose your own general for the campaign is somewhat lame.

You can do that in the first DLC, but I haven't tried it since it's procedural. There's something similar in the 2nd as well.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I wonder how difficult (and tedious) it was at release, where there was no training or merchants. The later levels would have certainly been tougher.
The merchants didn't make much of a change in my playthrough, but the training definitely did. Aside from straight up increases to armor, magic resistance, armor piercing, etc. you also got amazing utility shit like the All Terrain training, which basically means you got free, full movement on everything except water. Absolute game changer, as your heavy units can finally advance along with the rest of your army rather than getting delayed by every forest and hill along the road.

Still, the possibly most powerful training is mana vessel, which gives you 3 mana on level start per unit that has it. This translates into summoning around 8 sentinels right away which you then use to destroy the enemy line, with your spess muhreens just cleaning up what's left.

They are better, only niche for the barbarian ranged units is point blank on enemy ranged, since that happens often.
Point blank is nice, but not nearly as good as imperial units – after all, if you do the point blank, you likely have your slingers right next to the enemy unit (if it survived), whereas firearchers can just snipe everything from far back, dealing massive damage to almost anything.

Parabalus

Arcane
The merchants didn't make much of a change in my playthrough, but the training definitely did. Aside from straight up increases to armor, magic resistance, armor piercing, etc. you also got amazing utility shit like the All Terrain training, which basically means you got free, full movement on everything except water. Absolute game changer, as your heavy units can finally advance along with the rest of your army rather than getting delayed by every forest and hill along the road.

Still, the possibly most powerful training is mana vessel, which gives you 3 mana on level start per unit that has it. This translates into summoning around 8 sentinels right away which you then use to destroy the enemy line, with your spess muhreens just cleaning up what's left.

They are better, only niche for the barbarian ranged units is point blank on enemy ranged, since that happens often.
Point blank is nice, but not nearly as good as imperial units – after all, if you do the point blank, you likely have your slingers right next to the enemy unit (if it survived), whereas firearchers can just snipe everything from far back, dealing massive damage to almost anything.

I wrote that wrong, should have been enemy fliers, since they have to get next to other units to attack them. By summoning 1-mana fliers on top of the slingers they eat the point blank.

Not sure what items you got, I had an "Endless Quiver" from an early barrow which made a fire archer a total MVP with the unlimited retaliaton. Later on a "Banner of the Tireless Archer" dropped which gives all ranged in a radius of two unlimited retaliation which is utterly broken - wonder how early that can drop, completely broken.

Surprisingly I didn't use mana vessel that much since I always had enough mana and not enough actions to spend them, the extra artifact one was my favourite.

thesecret1

Arcane
Not sure what items you got, I had an "Endless Quiver" from an early barrow which made a fire archer a total MVP with the unlimited retaliaton. Later on a "Banner of the Tireless Archer" dropped which gives all ranged in a radius of two unlimited retaliation which is utterly broken - wonder how early that can drop, completely broken.
I didn't have either of those, actually – never encountered them. But I had 5 fire archers and bows that gave several of them +1 to range. Enemy was absolutely fucked – first gets raped by berserkers, then come first line of archers, then second line, then third line.The enemy simply couldn't field his troops faster than I was kiling them.

Surprisingly I didn't use mana vessel that much since I always had enough mana and not enough actions to spend them, the extra artifact one was my favourite.
I basically turned Aisha (or whatever her name was) into a summoner monkey, doing nothing but shitting out sentinels until she ran out of mana. With that many sentinels (fast as fuck, flying, hard hitting, resistant to everything except magic) you can comfortably crack enemy hardpoints as well as clean out the entire map long before the timer runs out.

Parabalus

Arcane
Fantasy General II - v01.02.12759 Update
We're releasing a new update for Fantasy General II.

We're releasing a new update for Fantasy General II. It is a smaller one, containing a few fixes. The team has been hard at work on the next piece of content, though: the announcement of the new DLC will be coming soon, so stay tuned.

Change History:
v01.02.12759 – 06th January 2021
• Bugfix: Fixed an issue causing the game to malfunction when a taurus catapult is used.
• Balancing: Adjusted Hero Health
• UI: Fixed some missing icons in tutorial messages
• UI: Fixed faulty layouting of tooltips when playing with russian language
• UI: Tweaked tooltip layouts to not be higher than screen
• Content: Fixed faulty DLC requirements in "Eagle's Eyrie" mission in "Invasion" campaign.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh i am really not interested in this modern trend of making garbage races the focus of the game. The new spellforce expansion was shit because you played as retarded nigger,now this goes for retarded jews. Fuck i want to play as badass human eradicating degenerate races. Only weirdos want to play as the bad guy or some such shit lol.

Lagi

Savant
Only weirdos want to play as the bad guy or some such shit lol.
yes.. playing as good empire of white, caucasian man, dressed in medieval arturian style, with plate armored infantry, knights on horses, elven archers and female healers, would be soo interesting.

chaos-wfb-4th-e1541570299778.jpg

290px-Capture131114532.png

c12b033d09ad1f4ee02fbc576beeeabf.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
Eh, I'll just wait for a complete edition to come out.

The campaigns are rather long, slim chance of playing them all back-to-back before getting bored.

Eh, I'll just wait for a complete edition to come out.
it will probably happen, but I get the feeling they may just keep adding 'clans' to this, the possibilities are pretty endless as long a its selling okay.

Really surprised this is getting so many expansions, any indication of how well they are selling?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only weirdos want to play as the bad guy or some such shit lol.
yes.. playing as good empire of white, caucasian man, dressed in medieval arturian style, with plate armored infantry, knights on horses, elven archers and female healers, would be soo interesting.

chaos-wfb-4th-e1541570299778.jpg

290px-Capture131114532.png

c12b033d09ad1f4ee02fbc576beeeabf.jpg
Oh whoaa,a bunch of nice pictures of warhammer,it is not like there is an endless amount of that shit on the net. If only there was a single warhammer game that came even halfway close to those picture LoL. And yeah i don't really like to play edgy muh evul races and people in those games. I am pretty much normal person and enjoy virtue and honour. Also am human and white on top of it,it is only natural to want to play as your own people.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You don't have to imagine, there are games exactly like that.

Rites of war, which is pretty cool and available on gog.

Armageddon and its reskins, which is a broken pos that's available everywhere.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
You don't have to imagine, there are games exactly like that.

Rites of war, which is pretty cool and available on gog.

Armageddon and its reskins, which is a broken pos that's available everywhere.
Armageddon base game has 3 campaigns, the first part is actually pretty cool and not broken. The game rules (and AI) can't cope with Titans and superheavy tanks which really appear in the second and third campaign.
The Ork Hunter campaign is imo better than Rites of War (which I did not like a lot), because it is almost entirely infantry vs infantry, with only some light armor here and there.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
What I mean by broken is that numeric values attached to stuff are completely insane and lack any sort of coherence or high level planning, often to an extent that can completely ruin certain game mechanics. For example, you cannot buy transports for your infantry units and then actually use them in combat as it will completely annihilate your economy in a mission or two. That, and how the classic PG core rules clash with their implementation of WH40K, often in an utterly schizophrenic manner.

That the game can be fun in the same manner most PG-likes can and the initial missions where you struggle against ork hordes are the highlight is true.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, it would work very well with a Warhammer licence indeed. Slitherine is one of the main 40K developers these days, so it would be natural for them to go in this direction.
So, is this one much better than Elven Legacy? Does it have good mechanics I should leech?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom