Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, May 9, 2017.

1. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    No, false equivalent in Crowbcat's video to pass an illusion that all vegetation in FC2 is destroyable.

^ Top  
  2. Bocian Arcane

Bocian

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    Making something is not a process where all the good elements of everything that came before are added up to eventually make something perfect. It's a process of picking and choosing the most important components, altering others, and removing others that are seen as unnecessary, based on the subjective decisions of many different people. I never once heard FC2 being talked about in such high regard up until about a week ago, conveniently when so many videos came out on youtube talking about what a lost masterpiece of technical brilliance it apparently was, and certainly never heard anyone bring up the fact that you could shoot the limbs off trees; people did, however, complain about the malaria, checkpoints, and instant weapon degradation, all of which were removed or improved upon in the sequels. I was usually on the defending side in these conversations because I liked FC2 despite its problems, and even I never thought about or once brought up the possibility of shooting the limbs off trees. It's a feature that is impressive when viewed in isolation, as a technical showcase, but one that is almost instantly forgotten about in view of the game as a whole; so why, then, would Ubisoft feel the need to re-implement such a feature, one that would only be more difficult to implement now due to increased graphical fidelity and asset variety? It's very likely they did try to implement it but found that it was an unneeded resource hog, that it went unnoticed by most game testers, or a combination of both in addition to considerations about how much time and money it would take to implement the feature. Same goes for changes made to the FC2 fire effects (which, by the way, were specifically designed for use in an area composed almost entirely of Savanna dry brush, known for being highly flammable, as opposed to the lush greenery of Montanan that does not burn in the same way; so why then implement the same exact fire effects, which many people liked but many other people found incredibly aggravating due to it interrupting firefights when a single spark set off an inferno, in an area that would not see it nearly as much).

Two things here. First: either the games are running on the exact same engine, which would mean the basic tech behind any of these features has in no way regressed but that those features were edited as design decisions, or the games are not running on the same exact engine and the engine has been modified over the years to focus on more critical elements as well as make various graphical and system improvements, modifactions that were not in FC2. It is, of course, a combination of both; the engine has, in fact, been altered over the course of the decade since FC2 was released, and there are many design decisions involved in making a game on this scale. The FC5 engine is able to handle far larger areas, has global illumination, dynamic water effects, improved AI, improved animal behavior and flora variety, improved animations, etc.

Second, as I stated before, no, "anything in FC2 that's good should be a given in 3; not missing 5" is not a sound statement based on any sense of reality but purely on ideology. It's a notion that arises from cynicism and having a detached, hindsight informed view entirely divorced from the creative process. Making a game at this level, or any level, is a complex endeavor that involves having to make constant compromises and alterations. There are creative decisions, technical decisions, and various mixtures of the two. In the history of the entire universe I don't think there has ever been a case where a creative work was followed up by a subsequent creative work that only featured the good parts of the previous work and was thus a universally agreed upon total improvement over the previous. Look at games like Thief 2, Fallout 2, Doom 2, games that are generally considered great but are all still routinely criticized by many as being inferior to their predecessors--why did the designers of these games not just take all the good things, improve them, cut out everything that was bad from the previous games and thus end up with a perfect sequel? Because humans and creativity are involved in making them. You say this design process is reflective of an assembly line mentality, but it would be more assembly line like to make decisions based purely around retaining everything from the previous game (this is ignoring the basic fact that some elements of a previous entry are considered good by others and bad by others). The only time one gets such universally agreed upon incremental improvements is with actual assembly line products--the pop top soda can is a technical total improvement over the church key soda can, although even then I can guarantee there are people who prefer the previous version for various subjective reasons.

The funny thing is that people are so focused on the tree branches thing being absent in FC5, but I would wager a guess that absolutely no one would give a shit if FC5 did have breakable tree branches--it would end up getting a short side-by-side shot in some graphics comparison video on youtube and that would be it.

It's also fucking hilarious to see codexers leaping to defend some game based entirely around aesthetic, visual concerns, when usually one gets called a graphics whore on this forum for daring to say that visuals matter in a primarily visual medium, or time consuming "realistic" features. I guess being an immersionfag is prestigious now. I personally think it's a great improvement that I don't have to sit through a repetitive 4 second animation every time I gather materials from a dead animal.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    What is there to discuss about Far Cry if not its graphics? Its non-existent ballistics system? Its brain-dead AI? Its profound and compelling story? :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Awesome!

^ Top  
  7. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    Well, yeah. You could just discuss those and have something of a good time. That stuff matters more than how realistic the fire looks or whether you can shoot limbs off of plastic looking trees. Of course, you're all retarded, so you don't do that and instead argue for ten pages about minute changes in nature simulation.

Probably in the last page or two, a video brought up the vastly improved lighting and fog tech present in this game. This is a major step forward in simulating a wide open natural environment, because it leads to some very realistic and cinematic weather effects not present in the games of a decade ago. You could compare this pretty easily to other cosmetic features like tree deformation and realistic fire effects (and propagating fire appears to still be in FC5 and behave mostly the same way, just without looking as realistic). It's yet another way advanced graphics and physics technology allows us to mimic real life in a detailed way without hogging performance. And it has the benefit of looking really pretty. It also could be seen as tech that gets in the way of the fun by obstructing visibility, similar in a sense to how fire would suddenly engulf your battle in FC2. One of you morons totally shooed it away for that specific reason a little earlier in the thread, presumably not realizing that muh propagating fire has the same sort of drawback.

Now what I'm predicting is that Ubisoft will look at these retarded cherrypicking videos like Crowbcat's, because they have millions of views by now, and say the next Far Cry game has to have better propagating fire effects and procedural tree deformation again. This is going to be met with no enthusiasm outside of the commoner's response to marketing, and Crowbcat will compile another video that completely ignores FC6's improved fire effects and procedural tree deformation. The video will showcase the tradeoffs that took place to budget for that new tech downgrades from FC5's lighting and fog engine, mainly, and there will be a 562-page Codex thread where people argue about how improved nature simulation tech is purely cosmetic and it's all about that fog and the day-night cycle in good old FC5.

• Funny x 3
    • popamole x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Meh,the game is just another popamole shit,people that buy shit are shit!

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Everything is shit!

• Yes x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    No one really gives a shit about graphics and "realism" when he fires up FC.

Everyone's tryhardism is painful to watch here. FPS games with great atmosphere, weapons and physics models have been around since forever, and you choose to play critics of a game that's plainly not attempting to innovate in either field?

FC is played by kids who are enthralled by its gameplay loop. All that the graphics and physics engine need to do is not to stand in the way of the single player mmo gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    So if the next Far Cry is, say, a walking sim we can't laugh about it because its target audience are morons?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    If the next FarCry is a lumberjack sim are you gonna cream your shorts?
    Destructible trees tho :bounce:

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    Legitimate lumberjack and forest fire simulation elements would actually be cool and probably get me to buy the game (a year later on sale).

^ Top  
  14. wyes gull Learned

wyes gull
    Well, people did. Youtubers can certainly nudge crowds willing to shitpost but fortunately things have dates and not all of us are 18 or under.

Precisely. It's about being a consumer, not an employee. The whys and hows are irrelevant, what is relevant is what you want and what is provided. That is your prerogative as a potential customer.
    The rest is the same old "why aren't there working mirrors on games anymore" discussion. That the whys and hows can be explained and that their importance can be downplayed doesn't change the fact their absence is noted and grieved.

Yes. Let's examine your own opinion on one of the features.
    And I would wager you would be right. I would also wager it would've been the correct decision to make when your purpose is sales, scores and the average consumer. And I would say that reflects assembly line mentality. For some of us, however, god is in the details and it's those details that make up an identity that FC2 had and that, upon superficial examination, 5 lacks.

That's a reach. I'd still rather my 190D than any of the newer models. Also, here's an example:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Those are, respectively, Streets of Rage 1 and 2. Released 1 year apart. The only thing removed by design were the police vehicles and they were replaced by a special move that enhanced the game mechanically by giving you a period of invulnerability and/or considerable damages to enemies in place of a 1-shot-kills-all bomb; there are a couple of weapons missing but likely because of time constraints (there's a whole level around a baseball park and the game is missing the bat as a weapon, which 1 had). And yes, there are people who fault the game for those omissions (as well they should) and yet the game was seen universally as an improvement. But hey, if you liked the 1st better, that's your prerogative.

TL;DR- I liked FC2, warts and all. I find it comical that 5 doesn't have some technical features 2 had 10 years ago. I don't see anything in 5 that makes me want to play it and who knows, maybe I'd like it even better.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Far.Cry.5-CPY is out. Denuvo is defeated once again.

• Salute x 5
    • nice x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Roughly 3 weeks. Meh tier result but better late than never.

^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

I don't need to watch this video to know that Far Cry 2 still looks in many ways better than FC5. Not to mention it's still the better sandbox shooter.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Old Old x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Acquired the game. Set difficulty to Hard. First chase scene is impossible to finish because you get shot to shit before the first autosave. :lol:

e: Who the fuck wrote the texts in this game? "Your follower with try to stay stealth"? "Reduces considerably the amount of damage you take"?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ^ Top  
  19. Phanax Novice Patron

Phanax
    Shit I was thinking the same thing just last night, also after "acquiring" the game. Set the difficulty to Hard because previous FC games were best played at hard due to the multiple methods of dealing with opposition. But of course, the on-rails section with the truck early on where you can't do much but hope you don't run out of medkits and hope to got there's a lull in the fighting so some health can regenerate... uhg.. Ended up turning the difficulty to normal just to get past that section. No-one play-tested this piece of shit on hard?

As for the rest of the game, I've currently gotten so far as liberating the first main town (Fall's End). For some reason though the game's not quite grabbing me yet. Maybe these games are just starting to get too familiar. Story seems to be as garbage as most people have said though - I guess Ubisoft doesn't really care to spring for some decent writing since it sells like gangbusters anyway.

^ Top  
  20. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ubisoft India

^ Top  
  21. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    If you ignore the story for the most part and just fuck about it's a decent sandbox since Ubisoft seems to have learned at least a tiny little bit. The game even jokes about it: "Don't worry, I won't have you climbing towers all over the county." Had some funny random moments where wild animals attacked people. Those cougars and bears seem to be a bigger threat than the cult.

• popamole popamole x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. janior Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    44 pages lol really

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. deama Liturgist

deama
    Crack is out! Yey! Now we can all stop pretending to play it!

• meh meh x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    I'm still not playing it and don't plan to.

• incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Just started playing it and.. this feels like every other Far Cry game so far. Looks alright, playing it maxed out (except for motion blur), looks like Far Cry: Primal, but with slightly better lighting and shaders.

UBI still hasn't figured out how to add separate sliders for music and SFX, so you can either endure blaring music, or none at all since music can be turned on or off. Also, ran into my first bug where I found that stupid dog from trailers, constantly barking (wanted to shoot, until I realized it's probably the one from trailers). Killed everyone around it and opened the cage.. oh btw, cage lock cannot be shot broken, it can be "punched" open only, amazing. Then it says to "pet him" but no option comes up. Searching on Steam, it's a bug everyone is facing and solution is to kill the dog or run it over, then it re-spawns. Amazing. :lol:

Anyway, stopped playing cause of that bug. Will play some more later. What is funny that since FarCry 3, I have NOT completed a single Far Cry game. It looks like I'll be abandoning this as well since it's same shit all over again. At least it looks nice..

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.