Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Fargo&Inxile - The positive angle

PEACH

Arbiter
So what that their games have lots of stats, abilities, skills and stuff, if it's all meaningless and disconnected?

True. They should just streamline that shit. Make their games more like Skyrim and less like Morrowind. That is what we, the fine members of Fake RPG Lovers Anonymous, truly want.

::fffkkkggdddmmbbaassss:: Oom angrily waves a tendril which appears to have the middle portion of it sticking directly up at Haplo.

I WONDER IF ARCANUM CAME OUT TODAY WHAT SOME OF YOU WOULD SAY they'd hate on it YES THEY PROBABLY WOULD IRONIC ISN'T IT very

:roll:

That's a pretty disingenuous interpretation of what he wrote.

He's making a valid point: praising sheer quantity of included skills/abilities/etc. for the sake of said quantity alone is stupid. Ironically when many stats are trivial or pointless or poorly represented or whatever the case may be the effect is the same as streamlining in the end anyway when it comes to viable options. You sound like the kind of person who puts points into swimming in Deus Ex because you can and while it's true that it's possible to do so, why the fuck would you, and why the fuck would you praise the inclusion of pointless padding when there are options to remedy it other than steamlining? Say for instance making them more useful and thus challenging players to make difficult build decisions.

WL2 is no Arcanum or Morrowind, in any event, and the comparison is hackneyed and born of your inexplicable love affair with inXile's "HARDCORE RPGS FOR REAL & TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS" as I'm sure you'd put it. Anyone with half a brain can see the appeal and design intent of those games is in an entirely different place.

Lastly, your return as some sort of Shadow The Hedgehog gimmick is even more grating than the stoner-idiot thing you had going previously. Tone it down.

Deleted Member 16721

So what that their games have lots of stats, abilities, skills and stuff, if it's all meaningless and disconnected?

True. They should just streamline that shit. Make their games more like Skyrim and less like Morrowind. That is what we, the fine members of Fake RPG Lovers Anonymous, truly want.

::fffkkkggdddmmbbaassss:: Oom angrily waves a tendril which appears to have the middle portion of it sticking directly up at Haplo.

I WONDER IF ARCANUM CAME OUT TODAY WHAT SOME OF YOU WOULD SAY they'd hate on it YES THEY PROBABLY WOULD IRONIC ISN'T IT very

:roll:

That's a pretty disingenuous interpretation of what he wrote.

He's making a valid point: praising sheer quantity of included skills/abilities/etc. for the sake of said quantity alone is stupid. Ironically when many stats are trivial or pointless or poorly represented or whatever the case may be the effect is the same as streamlining in the end anyway when it comes to viable options. You sound like the kind of person who puts points into swimming in Deus Ex because you can and while it's true that it's possible to do so, why the fuck would you, and why the fuck would you praise the inclusion of pointless padding when there are options to remedy it other than steamlining? Say for instance making them more useful and thus challenging players to make difficult build decisions.

WL2 is no Arcanum or Morrowind, in any event, and the comparison is hackneyed and born of your inexplicable love affair with inXile's "HARDCORE RPGS FOR REAL & TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS" as I'm sure you'd put it. Anyone with half a brain can see the appeal and design intent of those games is in an entirely different place.

Lastly, your return as some sort of Shadow The Hedgehog gimmick is even more grating than the stoner-idiot thing you had going previously. Tone it down.

So in more words than necessary: Streamline. Thanks for proving my point.

PEACH

Arbiter
You're a total fucking idiot huh?

You sound like the kind of person who puts points into swimming in Deus Ex because you can and while it's true that it's possible to do so, why the fuck would you, and why the fuck would you praise the inclusion of pointless padding when there are options to remedy it other than streamlining? Say for instance making them more useful and thus challenging players to make difficult build decisions.

But no, better lap up whatever is put on your plate rather than question whether it could be done better.

Deleted Member 16721

You're a total fucking idiot huh?

You sound like the kind of person who puts points into swimming in Deus Ex because you can and while it's true that it's possible to do so, why the fuck would you, and why the fuck would you praise the inclusion of pointless padding when there are options to remedy it other than streamlining? Say for instance making them more useful and thus challenging players to make difficult build decisions.

But no, better lap up whatever is put on your plate rather than question whether it could be done better.

InXile may not be the greatest RPG developer ever but they're one of the best we've got now so I support them. Simple as that. Doing so will give them the resources to try their hand at the next one, and I trust that they will continue improving each time.

As for skills, Wasteland 2 has no completely useless skills and saying otherwise is huge hyperbole (some other RPGs literally *do* have skills with no application in-game. The Dark Spire comes to mind, and even Wasteland 1.) Like Arcanum, Morrowind and others predating The Age of Perfect Balance, Wasteland 2 gives you a messy array of stats and numbers to experiment with. Not every option will be perfectly balanced nor should it be, but you can come up with your own interesting builds and most importantly, be creative, experiment and discover on your own.

These games are flawed, messy playgrounds. With more soul and creativity than 99% of other RPGs for that very reason.

Edit - And for the record, I think games should contain *more* skills. Preferably weird, obscure ones. And they all shouldn't be equally useful (blowing up enemies with rocket launchers is more "useful" in a post-apocalyptic wasteland than a Painting skill would be, after all), but they should have little quirky things related to them, and give you more options. I prefer higher levels of quantity while maintaining a good enough quality, not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've not noticed any "quirkiness" in WL2 skills. Maybe except Toaster Repair, but that's a throwback to WL1 tradition... and a very beneficial skill at that.
Soul? Like in all the random junk loot in that game?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If WL2 had released at $30 and Torment was $15 then I would think more positively of inXile games.
Nothing could make me think positively of Tides of Numenera. It doesn't get better whether they charge $200 or $5. It's not worth it for free. They'd have to fucking pay me.

And the fact that they created a "Definitive Consoles" version of WL2 that actually made things worse made me lose all faith in them at that point already.

The good thing about this is that nobody should have too high expectations anymore for Bard's Tale or Wasteland 3, so there's no getting disappointed over preconcieved views that would colour the experience
Au contraire, I was indifferent to the prospect of a Wasteland sequel and I couldn't have cared less about Numenera (I prefer my novels in paperback format), but I have high, if utterly unjustified, expectations for BT IV. My butthurt is all ahead of me, and I look forward to venting my rage across multiple threads when the game is finally released in 2025.

valcik

Arcane
1. They make the kind of games they pitch.
They don't.
They have announced combat system with hexagonal grid at first, and my body was ready for it!
Only to find out that they've reconsidered it couple of weeks later as a feature too difficult to implement, being replaced with square grid instead.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Ulfhednar if you'd played more than 1-2 hours of WL2 you'd easily understand that it's not "console bullshit". Hell , that's why it fucking failed in consoles miserably, people simply don't play games like this in consoles.

I will be your anecdote: I play Wasteland 2 on PS4.

laclongquan

Arcane
fluent quit it with the schizophrenic thing~

Or get your meds adjusted.

Failing that, trying some time at Prosper forum. It worked wonder for him so it should do for you too.

Jesus Christ on a crutch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom