Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Faux Gothic: Let's play ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif! (Done!!)

Wyrmlord said:
How? Why? For what? If it were already a straight line, why would you need an exclamation mark.
So that the player knows the NPC is a dialogue dispenser and doesn't try to kill it and report its immortality as a bug in an outrage over the programmers' ineptitude.
Trust me, good, user-friendly design cuts down the support costs significantly, ensures a loyal, satisfied customer base and delivers an enjoyable experience for all involved.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
zo6mL.jpg
A new emoticon beckons.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
They look like rapists because they raped the Gothic franchise.

circ

Arcane
It looks better than DA 2, and more varied, I have to say. It's probably therefore a better game too. GOTY.

Anyway, you guys are missing out if you haven't played DS: RoT.

Regdar

Arcane
This is probably a stupid question, but is the combat satisfactory on any level?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not horrible, but it's extremely uninspired (like everything else in the game, basically), even on Gothic difficulty. Sure, you'll die a few times, but mostly because of three things: a) you let yourself be surrounded by enemies; b) the enemy's weapon is much more far-reaching than you can tell from the corresponding animation; or c) you fail at jumping and rolling around like crazy, which is what any "challenging" melee encounter amounts to.

(I just realised that sounds a whole lot like Witcher 2's combat. :roll:)

Maybe magic is more fun? It is a mystery.

Anyway, update incoming soon.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And so those ladies died...

...an unnatural death.

In a staggering display of non-linear design, there even was a side path so I could either skip the next section of the beach and make it straight to the Storm Crows' leader or...

...assault the remaining beach Crows from behind!

I quickly dealt with them and their harpy pets.

And up inside the forest I go.

Several black cats ambush me along the way. Surprisingly, they don't seem to be demonically possessed. Neko witches must be immune to possession, I guess.

Oooh, an exclamation mark hovering over a rock. I believe I know what awaits me there.

A boss fight!

That Lana Bloodtalon is wielding a rather powerful fire sword that sets me on fire and deals damage equal to almost all my HP, and her sword swings wide, so I have to be careful.

She had reach, true... but I had flexibility. (Also, two potions used. :()

And the key to Rauter's cage is now mine!

Let's set the creepy bastard free.

rauter.jpg
Do you have the damn key?

pc3.jpg
I've got the key.

(No homo? :roll:

All in all, I must say Rauter is a very German character, and in a very retarded way.)

And I'm level 30 already! I feel the power!

Rauter starts unlocking the other cage, I bid him farewell and explore deeper into the forest.

Well well well, that must be Setarrif.

Lookin' good!

Lots of possessed knights and soldiers going all hostile on me. Cannon fodder!

Possessed mages too. There are "possessed citizens" too.

Everyone is possessed! This game sure is dark, gritty, mature, and stuffies.

Zombies!

I collect their BRRRRAAAAINS.

Even more zombies. Damn there's a lot of trash fights in here.

Usually it goes like this: first you fight a group 1-2 possessed knights (melee), 1-2 possessed soldiers or citizens (ranged -> hide behind an obstacle, and they'll keep shooting at it), and maybe 1-2 possessed mages (throwing bolts or fireballs -> easy to avoid). You kill them, and then a pack of zombies rise from below the ground. Filler!
:thumbsup:

Other than that, the town design is unsurprisingly uninspired, too. Corridors, two metre wide larger areas, and some dead ends with some shitty treasure chests.

An exclamation mark beckons me, and I'm on my way.

Hi Diego.

pc3.jpg
Rhobar told me you are hanging around here. So I was going to check if everything is all right.

diego3.jpg
Hanging around? Us? (laughs) My foot!

pc3.jpg
Really? And how do you do that?

pc3.jpg
This one? Looks quite solid.

diego3.jpg
Yes, it is. Go to Milten and tell him I can't open the damn thing. I keep trying, but... I don't have much hope.

pc3.jpg
I'll go to Milten and ask him.

diego3.jpg
Good. You will find him back there, only a few steps along the trench.

And now it's questioning time!

pc3.jpg
Seriously now, what's going on here?

diego3.jpg
The demon you chased out of Rhobar's mind hung around Setarrif. Ethorn VI performed some unholy ritual... that kept the demon in this world and called it to him. In the beginning he could control it and make it fight against our army. But then the demon freed itself and turned against Ethorn and Setarrif.

pc3.jpg
Where is the demon now?

diego3.jpg
After all I've heard, it retreated into the heart of the White Eye Mountain and made the mountain burst. Well, it might be just all rumours and simply a volcano broke out.

diego3.jpg
...afflicting humans and animals.

pc3.jpg
I've noticed that. But what has this door got to do with the demon?

diego3.jpg
Some old divine artefacts are said to be in there. Weapons, amulets, and things like that... The artefacts are supposed to help ban the demon.

(Must be a Banhammer among those, then.)

pc3.jpg
How do you know?

diego3.jpg
Oh, that's what Milten says. He studied the inscriptions on an old stone block. If you want to know more, talk to him... and tell him I can't open the damn door!

pc3.jpg
Where are the others?

diego3.jpg
Lester and Gorn are out on an errand for Milten, and Zyra is with Lee.

pc3.jpg
What about Lord Hagen?

diego3.jpg
(sighs) He's quartered in the observatory east of here. He's busy with the fight for the town.

diego3.jpg
...and argues all day long with Lee, who wants to negotiate... and fight the demon and his breed together with the Setarrifians.

pc3.jpg
So the paladins don't do anything against the demon?

diego3.jpg
Innos gives them the power to continue, says Hagen. We will see if this is true.

Another exclamation mark -- must be Milten.

FUUUYEEAAHH-.png

milten1.jpg
You here?

pc1.jpg
What do you mean?

milten1.jpg
You happen to need a chose one of the goddess... and he appears just like that.

pc1.jpg
Well, not quite. Diego sent me to see you. I'm supposed to tell you that he can't open the door to the temple.

milten1.jpg
So we still have to wait for the key stones.

(Key stones? I think I know where this is going...)

pc1.jpg
What key stones?

milten1.jpg
Four y-shaped ornamental stones that fit in the indentation in this stone block here. Once they are united, the door to the burial temple opens.

pc1.jpg
How do you know all this?

milten1.jpg
From the inscriptions on the stone blocks here. The earthquake preceding the volcanic eruptions made the place that used to be here collapse...

pc1.jpg
What else is written on there?

milten1.jpg
One thing at a time. First I need the key stones... then I'll tell you the rest.

:rage:

pc1.jpg
All right, I'll take care of that. Where do I find the key stones?

(But of course. :roll:)

milten1.jpg
The Stone of Progress is in the observatory, where Hagen's headquartered.

milten1.jpg
...the Stone of Nobility is in the palace, the Stone of Wisdom in the house of the Mages' Guild and...

milten1.jpg
...the Stone of Wealth lies somewhere underneath the ruins of the tollhouse at the northern town gate.

milten1.jpg
See if you can find them.

pc1.jpg
Okay. Where were they going to start?

milten1.jpg
Gorn was going to go to the northern town gate and Lester to the observatory, and from there on to the house of the Mages' Guild and the palace... But before you go: can you make use of this?

We're given a new alchemical recipe.

Updated my journal.

This game is trying so hard to appeal to a nostalgic Gothic fangirl in me. Changed the thread title to "I wanna be a Gothic".

Seeker
In My Safe Space
About which goddess was he talking about? I thought that in Gothic there were only three gods.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I did a little Google search, and apparently it was introduced in ArcaniA.

http://almanach.worldofgothic.de/wiki/Göttin

Die Göttin vereint Eigenschaften von Innos und Beliar in sich. Sie besitzt zwei Köpfe, je einen für eine Seite ihres Selbst. Die Göttin ist uralt. Die Völker, die sie einst angebetet haben, sind längst ausgestorben. Heutzutage ist das Wissen um die Göttin fast vollständig verloren gegangen. Nicht einmal ihr Name ist überliefert. Es ist nicht ganz klar wer oder was diese Göttin ist. Sie könnte die Mutter oder die Schwester der drei Götter Innos, Beliar und Adanos sein. Andererseits könnte sie auch nur eine andere Inkarnation bzw eine Frühform der drei Götter sein.

So basically: a two-headed nameless goddess worshipped in days of yore. Her origin is unclear, she may be either a mother or a sister of the three gods Innos, Beliar and Adanos. Or maybe just a proto-incarnation of all the three gods at once. No one knows for sure.

Why is our hero "the chosen of the goddess", though? I dunno as I never played ArcaniA. Darth Roxor should know. :roll:

Crooked Bee

Patron
The sun bathed Setarrif in a warm soothing light.

And little did I know what weird shit awaited me soon.

I merrily sold all the useless stuff I'd collected to a conveniently placed trader, and decided to visit Gorn at the northern town gate first.

Naturally, I had to slay hordes of possessed knights and zombies along the way.

But finally I saw the desired exclamation mark! Must've been Gorn.

pc1.jpg
What's going on, Gorn? Milten is waiting for the key stone. Couldn't you find it?

gorn1.jpg
Yes, I could. That wasn't a problem, but... I had to make a detour.

pc1.jpg
Detour? Where to?

gorn1.jpg
To the watchtower on the hill outside of town.

pc1.jpg
What did you want there?

pc1.jpg
Thorus? Who the hell is Thorus?

gorn1.jpg
An asshole. I've known him for a long time, and I've never liked him... but he always escaped me.

pc1.jpg
And...?

pc1.jpg
Where is Thorus now?

gorn1.jpg
Well, in that chest.

chest1.jpg
I'll knock out his teeth one by one and feed them to the harpies!

pc1.jpg
Hmm.

:roll:

gorn1.jpg
Do you really want to know?

pc1.jpg
Yes, now I do.

gorn1.jpg
Well, it was like this...

gorn2.jpg
I'll go over to Thorus' tower and get that swine!

siefrid.jpg
We have clear orders from Lord Hagen. We're supposed to hold the gate and stand our ground.

gorn2.jpg
Yes, you do that!

siefrid.jpg
The order is not only for us, but for you too!

gorn2.jpg
You guard the gate! I'll go, take my axe and catch Thorus.

(Eh, I don't think I like where this is heading...)

Oh shit. I'm a nigger.
emot-argh.gif

And a slow one at that. Much slower than the main character.

The game has pulled a Witcher 2 on me! Aargh.

That would've even been neat -- if I at least had the opportunity to save the goddamn game! Which I can't when controlling Gorn. And given the fact this is Gothic difficulty and the slowness of my character... you can understand my frustration. (Looks like I'm too popamole for this game. :()

gorn2.jpg
Thorus! This time you won't escape me.

thorus.jpg
Who says I want to escape?

gorn2.jpg
Pain in the ass? Whose ass?

(Eh, what? No ass? That's a new one.)

gorn2.jpg
Stop the talking! Let's fight!

And fight we do. Damn I'm sloooooooow.

I'm left at half HP after getting rid of the Orc mercenaries. Good thing fighting against a single opponent is piss easy anyway. (But I do consume a potion just to be on the safe side, 'cause I don't feel like replaying the whole sequence again.)

And so Thorus is defeated.

gorn2.jpg
Now you belong to me! And I'll think carefully about what...

So much for the backstory of the chest with Thorus inside. :roll:

pc1.jpg
And what do you intend to do with him now?

gorn1.jpg
Don't know yet. Might hand his sorry little ass out over the cliffs...

gorn1.jpg
We'll see.

(In a Bioware game, we'd certainly get an option to lecture Gorn on just how cruel and inhumane his treatment of Thorus is. :roll: Not so in a German game.)

pc1.jpg
You take your time thinking about it, but in the meantime hand me the key stone. I'll take it to Milten.

gorn1.jpg
Yeah, do that. Here it is.

And the first key is ours.

pc1.jpg
What has Thorus done to you anyway?

gorn1.jpg
Denounced me and people almost believed him. Even back then I was already going to pay him back, but he ran off, the coward.

We can also choose to listen to Gorn's chest's complaints:

chest1.jpg
I want out of here!

:incline: of the game.

lightbane

Arcane
Thorus? Funny, I think I already killed him. Twice (both in Gothic 1 and 2). Also:

TWSUg.jpg

Hmm, this image lacks something... Oh, I know, someone should edit Jensen's sunglasses here, for the lulz.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Multiple Sarcasm said:
His expression delivers, but he looks a bit generic as an emoticon, tbh.
N4GTB.png

oh my

I got dizzy from laughter overload. A Codex approved zoo should be constructed, with this and the gentleman gorilla.

even on Gothic difficulty.

Here's a tip: Do yourself a favour and lower the difficulty right now. There is nothing challenging and/or fun about higher difficulties in Arcania, since all they do is make you die in two hits and the enemies in 20 times the normal amount of hits.

Why is our hero "the chosen of the goddess", though? I dunno as I never played ArcaniA. Darth Roxor should know.

I... do not know, actually.

I think there was some part with 'THE LAND IS INFESTED BY ANCIENT EVUL AND ONLY A CHOSEN ONE OF THE SUPAHANCIENT FORGOTTEN GODDESS CAN SAVE US', but I'm not sure now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: I am so glad you LP this game, Bee. Thank you very much.

Crooked Bee

Patron
You're welcome! ;)

Darth Roxor said:
Here's a tip: Do yourself a favour and lower the difficulty right now. There is nothing challenging and/or fun about higher difficulties in Arcania, since all they do is make you die in two hits and the enemies in 20 times the normal amount of hits.

Yeah, I must admit that's annoying. Since I'm only in this for the lulz, I might lower it once I get tired of being killed too often. :P

Darth Roxor said:
I think there was some part with 'THE LAND IS INFESTED BY ANCIENT EVUL AND ONLY A CHOSEN ONE OF THE SUPAHANCIENT FORGOTTEN GODDESS CAN SAVE US', but I'm not sure now.

Hmm. Yes yes, that totally makes sense...

Storyfag said:
What's up with the squint and shiny teeth everyone in this game seems to posess? Are you doctoring those screenshots before posting them? :lol:

Ahaha, no, I'm not that dedicated. It's just the way it is.

jonnypolen

Liturgist
lightbane said:
Thorus? Funny, I think I already killed him. Twice (both in Gothic 1 and 2). Also:

TWSUg.jpg

Hmm, this image lacks something... Oh, I know, someone should edit Jensen's sunglasses here, for the lulz.

If you edit in a Benz and a minibat, you would have the spitting image of Cloaked Figure.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm getting a ton of laughs from this LP and thread. Keep it up Bee.

Diego? Gorn? What, Arcania wasn't satisfied just raping the setting and gameplay of Gothic, they had to go ahead and ruin the series' most recognizable faces too? Great.

At least you get to beat up Thorus? I thought he was dead already. I don't know why RPG makers suddenly think playing like anyone but the PC you crafted yourself is fun in RPGs.

j8CIN.jpg

I'll have to remember that one.

Erebus

Arcane
Pj5pO.jpg

Awesome. :)

I have to say, when that other dude told us two guys had gone to get the keys but not come back, I was sure it meant we'd have to rescue them and get the keys by ourselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom