Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Faux Gothic: Let's play ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif! (Done!!)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Pj5pO.jpg

:lol: Ahaha oh my I'm laughing my pants off

:salute:

Brother None said:
Diego? Gorn? What, Arcania wasn't satisfied just raping the setting and gameplay of Gothic, they had to go ahead and ruin the series' most recognizable faces too? Great.

Most probably a desperate attempt to lure Gothic fans into playing this game.

root said:
I love you so much :love:

Back at ya, root. :love: Hope you go back to your LP soon!

Erebus said:
I have to say, when that other dude told us two guys had gone to get the keys but not come back, I was sure it meant we'd have to rescue them and get the keys by ourselves.

I'm sooo glad that isn't so. That'd only mean even more filler, ugh.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Brother None said:
Diego? Gorn? What, Arcania wasn't satisfied just raping the setting and gameplay of Gothic, they had to go ahead and ruin the series' most recognizable faces too? Great.
You're missing the big picture, it was Piranha Bytes who raped the faces with Gothic 3 first.
This is subjective, but translating the original look of the series' characters to modern polygon counts was pretty much the only thing Spellbound got fairly right - PB can take a leaf out of SBs book here.

Otherwise, the actual characteristics are, of course, totally alienated.
But again, PB pioneered this with G3 when they let Björn Pankratz write the bulk of the dialogue.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Slaying my way through even more possessed knights and magi, I was making my way to the observatory.

It was only now that I noticed the possessed were talking -- not to me, but rather to themselves.

They talked about destroying everything.

They spoke some abracadabra magic in a forgotten tongue.

They were clearly afraid of something.

Miserable bastards. I put them all to rest.

And here I am, the observatory in sight.

Weakness. Nothing but weakness!

We are paladins!

Innos wants it!

Fragments of a heated argument: Lord Hagen must be up there with Lee.

Ah, the exclamation mark. I've been lookin' for you, my dear.

pc3.jpg
Yes, he did.

pc3.jpg
What are you up to?

hagen1.jpg
The paladins will chase the Setarrifians out of their hideouts!

pc3.jpg
The Setarrifians?

(Haha got ya!)

hagen1.jpg
Innos gives us the power to fight on both fronts.

Lee kicks in.

lee1.jpg
Damn, Hagen! With what men? Hardly any survived the attack of the demon, and the ones who did are scattered all over the town! We need to ally with the Setarrifians and then fight the demon together!

pc3.jpg
I agree. And Milten knows how we can defeat the demon.

hagen1.jpg
I know Milten's plans. They are a sacrilege against Innos!

pc3.jpg
Why is that?

hagen1.jpg
They are based on the holy artefacts of a foreign goddess.

(Foreign? :?)

pc3.jpg
Maybe, but... perhaps they really help.

hagen1.jpg
We paladins are going to fight the demon and the Setarrifians! It is Innos' will!

Annoyed, Hagen laves the room.

lee1.jpg
Lee. With Hagen, I'm one of the king's army commanders.

pc3.jpg
Listen, Lee: Milten asked me to bring him the key stones opening the way into the burial temple.

lee1.jpg
Yes, it is right there. Take it!

And the second stone is ours.

lee1.jpg
Yes, a while ago. He was going to go into the house of the Mages' Guild, where the surviving Setarrifians are hiding... and there get the two key stones from the Setarrifian side from Karella.

pc3.jpg
Do you think the Setarrifians have taken him prisoner?

(Damn, is it just me, or does Lee look like an aged Barack Obama in this game?)

lee1.jpg
Above all Karella wants to defeat the demon. ... Here, take this. If you show it to the Setarrifian gate guard close to the Mages' Guild...

pc3.jpg
Where do I find the gate guard?

(Close to the Mages' Guild, you stupid faggert.
emot-argh.gif
)

lee1.jpg
Go through that door into the next tower, then go down out of the tower in a southern direction. There you'll find the gate and the guard.

(Yeah, more like "go down that linear corridor, there you'll find the gate". :roll:)

lee1.jpg
She should be in the house of the Mages' Guild and know what happened to Lester.

pc3.jpg
Zyra is with the Setarrifians?

pc3.jpg
Yes, I do.

(You do? :roll:)

lee1.jpg
Good, then she will trust you.

:retarded:

lee1.jpg
If you need any more equipment, don't hesitate to serve yourself from the chest in the tower next to this one.

Level 31 woohoo!

pc3.jpg
You were in the battle, weren't you?

lee1.jpg
It was night, but we still attacked the walls. The demon suddenly dashed over the wall like a glowing meteorite...

lee1.jpg
Most of my men were killed in the attack. I was lucky. I fell into the gap, but I managed to grab on to the edge.

pc3.jpg
And then? What happened then?

lee1.jpg
The demon was gone just as quickly as it had attacked us...

lee1.jpg
What happened in town, I don't know. I crawled out of the hole, gathered the survivors of my army...

lee1.jpg
We only entered the town when the volcano erupted.

Well, that ends this rather pointless update.

Next stop: Mages' Guild. Zyra is there -- so let's see just who our stylish hero's special lady is!

Why do they even use Gorn, Diego, Lester, Lee, Milten etc. it's not like their target audience would even recognize them any way? Though of course it does save them the extremely difficult task of coming up with names for characters...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do they use the gothic name at all?

The only answer is burning MBA mills to the ground.

lightbane

Arcane
So, why the Innos' paladin is so much of a jerk? Granted, some of these back in G2 were assholes, but these were grunts...

0WMOg.jpg

Hell, he's trying as hard as possible to look EVIL.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm wondering if Xardas is going to appear later in the game.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
1451 said:

He did in the OC. As a quite convenient Xardas Ex Machina saying 'I WILL SHOW YOU THE PATH TO VICTORY @_@ ' basically. I am sure he will pop up here, too.

lightbane

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
1451 said:

He did in the OC. As a quite convenient Xardas Ex Machina saying 'I WILL SHOW YOU THE PATH TO VICTORY @_@ ' basically. I am sure he will pop up here, too.

I suppose he too was dumbed down to fit on the story, right? Because I recall he was quite ambiguous, he used both evil and good ways to achieve his end, I suppose that would be too complicated to understand for the consoletard crowd they were aiming for.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Cool, thanks for the info! I'm so excited now!

Also, Lee before and after.
Spot the differences and win a GOTY Collector's Edition of Gothic 4!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Rejoice, for new page means new update!

Sergiu64 said:
Hmmmm, since when is Lee black??? I think I remember him being white in Gothic 2.

Truth be told, I don't actually think Lee is black in this game. This is probably just a side-effect of terrible lighting/shadow programming or something like that. Characters in this game tend to look black when it's dusk or in a dark room. We'll meet a certain princess soon and she'll be looking black too, even though she obviously shouldn't be. But ahem, whatever.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Let's leave Lee and Hagen to their petty conflict.

Yeah, fuck you.

And enjoy the view instead.

Sure you have.

Hmm, I wonder where the Mages' Guild is...

Oh yeah, down the corridor below.
:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC5oSODcfk4

Aha, found ya. The gate to the Setarrifian part of town.

pc1.jpg
Lee sent me. He wants me to bring Zyra, staying in the house of your Mages' Guild, a message.

loric.jpg
Hang on a moment... Good... Yes, you may pass.

pc1.jpg
Where do I find the house of the Mages' Guild?

(*Sigh* Down the linear path, you silly. Don't you ever learn? :roll:)

(See, what did I tell ya? Just follow the trench.)

With that, we leave the patriotic gate guard be and, well, follow the trench.

The level designer even erected some magical barriers to make following the trench easier for us. So thoughtful of him/her/it.

The big house, eh?

Must be this (i.e., the only) one.

Indeed.

:roll:

(In before MILF jokes.)

Perverts.

pc1.jpg
I'm looking for Lester. Do you know where he is?

zyra.jpg
Lester went to the mine of Setarrif.

Erebus said:
I have to say, when that other dude told us two guys had gone to get the keys but not come back, I was sure it meant we'd have to rescue them and get the keys by ourselves.

:(

pc1.jpg
Why is that?

zyra.jpg
...she took the Stone of Wisdom and was going to enter the palace with a few of her man to recover the Stone of Nobility.

pc1.jpg
What happened?

zyra.jpg
She was ambushed by Thorus' Nordmar Orcs and was pushed back to the Setarrif mines.

pc1.jpg
Lester went to the Orcs alone to talk to them? If they are like Erhag, they don't think much of talking.

zyra.jpg
That's what I told him too, but he wouldn't listen.

pc1.jpg
Then I better have a look to see what's happened to him.

The nearby dude kicks in.

pc1.jpg
Why is that?

magor.jpg
We have blocked the way to the mine and the palace with magic barriers.

pc1.jpg
Then open the barriers for me and close them behind me. Where is the problem?

magor.jpg
There aren't many mages in Setarrif any more. To erect a barrier we need a strong Adanos focus, but we used up the last focus, after your friend Lester went to the mine. If we tear down the barriers now, we can't re-erect them.

(I gotta say, this dude reminds me of someone... someone with a willy. :roll:)

pc1.jpg
What about Karella?

(Karella is the king of Setarrif's daughter, by the way.)

magor.jpg
She wouldn't want us to risk everybody's lives just to save hers.

zyra.jpg
Listen, Magor.

Listen up, maggot.

zyra.jpg
But to do that he needs the key stones. If you want to win the fight against the demon, you have to risk something. And now is the right time to do so.

magor.jpg
I'll open the barriers for you.

pc1.jpg
That's good. How do I get to the mine?

magor.jpg
Go back to the gate through which you entered here. Just before you reach it, there's a trench :)roll:) on the left leading westward. Follow it to the end, and then you'll stand in front of the entrance to the mine.

magor.jpg
It will help you fulfil your task.

pc1.jpg
And how do I get to the palace?

magor.jpg
Turn to the left, when you leave our house, and follow the trench :)roll:) winding from there all through the town to its end. But... be careful when you enter the palace.

You look so gleeful, jeez.

You may not suspect it, but there are actually two, not one, damsels in distress for us to rescue. And we'll be heading to the palace first.

We can also listen to the nearby water mages' chatter.

:hmmm:

Deep stuff. Moving on.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Magor is Rauter's long lost twin brother. Separated at birth, they led ignorant blissful lives until one fateful day a chosen hero would reunite them.
I'm amazed by the ease with which he changed his mind about not opening the barriers. Maybe this flip flopping behavior derives from the void that was created in his life by his inability to subconsciously cope with bereavement.

lightbane

Arcane
5wuZM.jpg

Actually, that's true: The more you play and learn about this game, the more you're risking of suffering permanent brain damage :M :M

lightbane said:
Actually, that's true: The more you play and learn about this game, the more you're risking of suffering permanent brain damage :M :M

There's actually no risk involved. It's an absolute certainty.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The facial expressions, dialogue and game-play finally convinced me, this is all but a trolling attempt by the Derpelopers. :thumbsup:

Erebus

Arcane
51sPI.jpg

From what we've seen so far, this seems like an understandable reaction to finding yourself in this game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Brother None said:
The PC seems very smug about, well, everything.
In general, the game's a gold mine for retarded portraits.

Greatly enjoying the LP. Thanks for taking one for the team Bee :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom