Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite character(s) in an RPG

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You beat me to the punch Scrooge. My favorite characters were the ones CRPGs used to allow me to create for my party back before storyfags RUINED EVERYTHING with their joinable NPC bullshit. My Wizardy 8 party had infinitely more personality and charm than anything in Dragon Effect. Hell, the collection 4 bit colour icons representing my party in the Gold Box games had more personality because they were MY characters.

Eh... followers with personality and background have been a part of RPGs since far before the decline. Just because Bioware does it poorly doesn't mean the idea is bad. Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas all did it well, most here would agree.

Erebus

Arcane
PS:T has awesome characters. My favorite is Fall-from-Grace, but even the really minor NPCs can be interesting and original.

You beat me to the punch Scrooge. My favorite characters were the ones CRPGs used to allow me to create for my party back before storyfags RUINED EVERYTHING with their joinable NPC bullshit. My Wizardy 8 party had infinitely more personality and charm than anything in Dragon Effect. Hell, the collection 4 bit colour icons representing my party in the Gold Box games had more personality because they were MY characters.

Eh... followers with personality and background have been a part of RPGs since far before the decline. Just because Bioware does it poorly doesn't mean the idea is bad. Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas all did it well, most here would agree.
I believe forcing pre-designed characters on me in a party-based game is inferior to allowing me to design my own characters. The only legit exception I can think of off-hand is PS:T and that's because it's interactive fiction wearing RPG clothes. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are fundamentally single-character orientated games with some optional crappy bots and not true party-based games. And even if they were party-based games I'd have to ask myself why can't I create my own team of wasteland rangers from scratch?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I believe forcing pre-designed characters on me in a party-based game is inferior to allowing me to design my own characters. The only legit exception I can think of off-hand is PS:T and that's because it's interactive fiction wearing RPG clothes. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are fundamentally single-character orientated games with some optional crappy bots and not true party-based games. And even if they were party-based games I'd have to ask myself why can't I create my own team of wasteland rangers from scratch?

If you're mainly talking about Might & Magic style part-based games then I agree with you.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
1nOdUjb.png

S21Zffd.jpg

P5y641t.png

0J89E3h.png

GOmQcGH.png

pM4OjKO.png

cW7QLcZ.png

Coolguy got a bonkers roll in that new Blade of Destiny game. The best roll I've ever gotten in a game. It was probably a bug.

and

O10rtNZ.png

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Morte.

A companion backstabbing you is usually just boring, but "don't trust the skull" gave me genuine shivers.

Also Ravel. The whole build-up to meeting her is fantastic and the dialogue with her manages to live up to it. Kind of hard to choose your favorites from the PS:T cast, though. I also really like Kaelyn the Dove from MotB (Gann too, but what the hell is up with his hair?) and BROche from Twitcher 2. Anachronox has a bunch of cool characters but it's hard to name just one.

oscar

Arcane
Geoffrey Tarellond Ashe
Dak'kon
Virgil
Mors Westford
Bobby "Steroid" Gontarski
Solaire
Dagoth Ur
Sylvester "Sly Boots" Bucelli
Sebastian LaCroix

Baron

Arcane
Tricky Nick, Mechwarrior. He wore a black ski mask and his recruitment motto was, "Burn bodies, eat dead, kill, kill, kill." Hired!
Urdnot Wrex, Mass Effect. Hired for muscling past and shotgunning the NPC I was talking to in the face. The team needed a diplomat.
ED-E, Fallout: New Vegas. Large carrying capacity. Turned threats into smouldering ash.

If only I could combine them and (Codexian prerequisite - apply a lingerie mod) I'd have the perfect NPC. :obviously:

Severian Silk

1nOdUjb.png

S21Zffd.jpg

P5y641t.png

0J89E3h.png

GOmQcGH.png

pM4OjKO.png

cW7QLcZ.png

Coolguy got a bonkers roll in that new Blade of Destiny game. The best roll I've ever gotten in a game. It was probably a bug.

and

O10rtNZ.png
How long were you waiting for someone to start this thread?

Lou - Fallout 1
Master - Fallout 1
Marcus - Fallout 2
Sulik - Fallout 2
Caesar - New Vegas
House - New Vegas
God - New Vegas
Dean Domino - New Vegas

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't remember their names, but I did like the "scientific" alien companions from Mass Effect 1/2. They had a lot of cool things to say, articulated the usage of genocide of the warrior aliens, etc. Speaking of which, the warrior aliens were pretty cool too. It's weird I like these characters because every other character in both games is just a whiny bitch with insignificant problems that I could care fuckall about.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ba2hk27.jpg

Best friends
*clap* *clap*
Best friends
*clap* *clap*
Best friends
*clap* *clap*

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
geralt so cool..he has white hair and gold eyes, like my original fanfic characters..hes misunderstood, just like me..he kills monsters and does not afraid of anything..

ps. also i liek sephiroth

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gotoattacksremote.jpg

"It was lost, yes. It was given an impossible order. It was told to calculate a means by which the Republic could be saved. It could not fulfill its primary programming - not by abiding by the laws of the Senate. And so, like the Republic... the droid broke.

It made a simple decision - preserve the Republic, or preserve the laws of the Republic. And I still believe it to be the correct decision. You do not know the indignity of being compelled to save something you do not believe can - or should - be saved. It is *beneath* me. "

laclongquan

Arcane
Sulik, because of Grampy Bone. Fallout 2. "Nuh-uh."

Dakkon and his tortured karma. Morte and his foulmouth. Annah and dat tsundere. Fall-From-Grace and her suppressed BDSM tendency. Raven and her weird falling-in-love-with-her-creation God complex. Me like Planescape Torment.

Squall and his sister-complex. Quistis is quite funny with her first love. Final Fantasy 8.

Fallout New Vegas characters. Nough said~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom