Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite game weapon

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
YOU HAVE A SPLIT PERSONALITY!

3dfx2.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
El's Drinker in Dark Sun
FN FAL in JA2 and BE5
Cane of Corpus in Wizardry 7
Delayed Blast Fireball in goldbox series ;)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Their U1 iterations were better, especially pre-patch flak with its sound effects.
I don't remember the pre-patch Unreal flak cannon, but the UT one was definitely better than the latest-patch Unreal one. There was a certain satisfaction in trying to inch your way as close as possible to you target then frag him with it.

mondblut said:
El's Drinker in Dark Sun
FN FAL in JA2 and BE5
Cane of Corpus in Wizardry 7
Delayed Blast Fireball in goldbox series ;)
El's Drinker was TEH AWESUM. Or at least it was until I figured out how to make the poisoned dagger, which was even deadlier. But El's still had its special charm. Fun story: a friend of mine (who lurks around here. In case you see this: hi!) hit a bug in DS2 where he used El's Drinker so much that it stopped leeching hit points (though IIRC it still inflicted the damage). Fun times.

CoC was a veeeeeeeeery nice weapon and required an outright bizarre race/class combo to use.

DBF in Gold Box games was THE ultimate direct damage area effect spell. IIRC it bypassed magic resistance, at least in some of the games.

SoupNazi

markec said:

3dfx2.jpg

Oh man, that game had the best weapons. Like the hedgehog-mine, or the heart you could squeeze...

:love:

Like this, until it exploded and killed monkeys.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Got quite a few favorites, ranging from various weapons from the Unreal and Quake franchises (for the UT series it's the Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher, Q1's Rocket Launcher, Q2's Hyper Blaster, Q3s Railgun, Q4's Nailgun), to stuff like Garrett's bow, the Gravity Gun, the Alien Blaster from Fallout, or my self crafted sword 'Frosty' from Mask of the Betrayer (completed my first playthrough with it equipped for most of the time).

But ultimately, the Torque Bow from Gears of War is nr.1. It makes me chuckle every single time. Hell it makes me chuckle even if I get tagged by someone with it. It has such a satisfying pop.
16h4wih.jpg

Here's a montage of the Torque Bow for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1SJCxnJneQ&feature=related

CrimHead

Scholar
Wow. A crossbow that fires exploding bolts, never seen that before.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Hobo Elf said:
Fists in God Hand. Weapons are for pussies.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Distant runners up:
Farsight (Perfect Dark)
The Painkiller. Every gun from Painkiller is awesome.
Foot guns (Bayonetta)
Portal gun (as much as I find the game overrated, the gimmick it's based on is really cool)
Duke's mighty foot
Almost everything from Unreal
The sticky gun, ubersaw, and flare gun from TF2. Yes I like TF2.

And you can never go wrong with the shotgun. If the shotgun sucks, the game sucks.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Their U1 iterations were better, especially pre-patch flak with its sound effects.
I don't remember the pre-patch Unreal flak cannon, but the UT one was definitely better than the latest-patch Unreal one. There was a certain satisfaction in trying to inch your way as close as possible to you target then frag him with it.

It was all in the sounds - pre-patch firing and reloading sounds for flak were just perfect.

UT flak was decent, but it was painted yellow and had ghey sounds, the flak from UT2k3/4 sucked and was fugly, and UT3 flak is a contrived disgrace with some superfluous flaps around the barrel and no semblance whatsoever to its noble ancestors.

:decline:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
soggie said:
Satori said:
Super Shotgun from Doom 2.

BOOM click clack clock BOOM.

You can't be serious. I've lost count of the times I got my ass chewed off my pinkies while the reload animation's playing out.

For me it's the railgun from Q3A.

Seems like user error to me. If you need to shoot twice you've obviously failed already.

jazzotron

Liturgist
I.C. Wiener said:
Farsight (Perfect Dark)

Is this the gun that could allow you to see through walls and shoot through them?

If so, I had a lot of fun with this one in multiplayer.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:

Also the smiley on the mortar ball.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
UT flak was decent, but it was painted yellow and had ghey sounds, the flak from UT2k3/4 sucked and was fugly, and UT3 flak is a contrived disgrace with some superfluous flaps around the barrel and no semblance whatsoever to its noble ancestors.
I meant the original UT flak. I vaguely remember the 2003 one being gay, I don't even remember the 2004 (if it wasn't the same as 2003, which your post makes it sound like it was) and I never played UT3. Do you have any idea if there's a patch somewhere or a way to restore original flak to Unreal? I gave away my copy ages ago and got the Gold edition later on, which is unfortunately pre-patched.

Gragt said:
Speaking of smileys the whatever it was called superweapon from UT99 was fun IF you only ever used it in secondary mode. And if you were on the receiving end I think it had a smiley on it too. Good times.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I always thought the hunting rifle from Fallout 1/2 was pretty cool. In general though I think my favorite gun in a FPS is the single barreled shotgun from Doom.

I don't really like most modern realistic guns, they look like they're trying to look cool which is a bit corny, especially in games like Arma 2 where there's a dozen tacticool attachments. I did like the chinese sniper rifle in bad company 2, it felt really good and had a great sound effect.

There are just so many guns in games that I have no idea which one I like best, which is why I just went back to my favorite gun in Doom.

I will say I haven't much liked any of the guns from the UT series that much. The flak cannon is a great spin on shotguns even if it's mostly just a gay instagib tool in actual gameplay. Oh the sniper rifle from UT3 was cool.

L4D2 has done melee weapons better than any FPS I've played.

I should mention the Firebat from SC. I always thought it was the coolest idea for a scifi human melee unit, and one of the few flamethrowers in games that were not continuous streams or somethin like that (like in most FPS or like in Dawn of War).

SoupNazi

Sceptic said:
Gragt said:
Speaking of smileys the whatever it was called superweapon from UT99 was fun IF you only ever used it in secondary mode. And if you were on the receiving end I think it had a smiley on it too. Good times.
Yeah, the redeemer. Secondary fire and fly around as the reincarnation of a miniature nuclear rocket. Very good times indeed.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
I meant the original UT flak. I vaguely remember the 2003 one being gay, I don't even remember the 2004 (if it wasn't the same as 2003, which your post makes it sound like it was) and I never played UT3. Do you have any idea if there's a patch somewhere or a way to restore original flak to Unreal? I gave away my copy ages ago and got the Gold edition later on, which is unfortunately pre-patched.

Old sounds:
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1H5bGIf ... re=related

Mods seem to exist, but I was never able to get my hands on them, apart for some UT, Oldskool dependent one (V1 Unreal Sounds Mute, I believe, but good luck finding it - I'd probably start at www.unrealsp.org ).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The reason it was good was because it was reasonably accurate and very ammo-efficient. One shell could do a lot of damage. That was the shotgun's niche.

Pistol was for the first 10 seconds of the game, chaingun was for sniping or stun locking cacodemons, shotgun was for general use, double shotgun was for when you were in close quarters and couldn't use rockets or for dealing with pinkies, rockets were high damage aoe, plasma was ammo-inefficient but could take down high-threat units quickly, bfg was for lulz.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
BFG was pretty useful once you start running into multiple Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds towards the end of Doom 2. The weapon was completely unnecessary in Doom 1 though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Muramasa in SotN. Sword that gets stronger when you get splattered with blood, in a game where most monsters don't even have blood. Had a very cool vibe, became disgustingly powerful, and, iirc, it was one of two weapons in the game that did curse elemental attacks, which almost nothing resisted.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
markec said:

3dfx2.jpg

Always hated how the death animation goes from left to right but Lo Wang always first striked the opposite way.

Loved all the weapons in Syndicate Wars, but half the charm was the way the agents said the names every time you selected the weapons. Minigun, High Explosive, Razor Wire, Psycho Gas, Persuadertron, Electron Mace, Cerberus IFF, Nuclear Grenade. All so yummy... :love:

mondblut

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Fun story: a friend of mine (who lurks around here. In case you see this: hi!) hit a bug in DS2 where he used El's Drinker so much that it stopped leeching hit points (though IIRC it still inflicted the damage). Fun times.

Might be a feature, I've heard a lot of times Drinker has limited charges in DS2 back in the day. Well, that's not hard to bypass since you can duplicate any items in character editor. Just make a few backups to keep on a spare character :)

CoC was a veeeeeeeeery nice weapon and required an outright bizarre race/class combo to use.

Faery ninja, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom