Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Feargus Urquhart talks about the decline of AAA and the future of Obsidian at KRI 2013

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I think you guys aren't paying enough attention to the bit about Obsidian becoming a developer of "parts of games".

they're still pitching for projects like new vegas - developing sequels or spin offs with a fully developed pipeline. feargus just wants to keep the (around) 100 employees so there has to be other income. working for other studios is the most logic step because this way he could easily switch teams where needed, while 2 small core teams pre-produce their smaller projects.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remain unconvinced that this is actually going to result in what you guys think is going to happen. Let's hope for the best, though co-developing russian second rate MMO's feels very off.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't know about games development but looking at InXile and others "middle size" developers a workforce of more or less 100 people doesn't seem middle size.
15 to 50 is middle size IMHO.
I wonder how many people worked on Skyrim/Fallout 3/ME.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
a lot of people dismissing the allods team because they're russian itt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nival_(company)

their list of games is actually pretty solid

Pretty solid, yeah - but my problem with regards to this announcement, specifically, is that their MMO, Allods Online, is a prime example of a promising game being ruined by a P2W cash shop and thus far, there's little cause to think their new MMO will be different in that regard. I'm probably more sensitive to P2W than most people, though, so this might not be a problem for the majority of the audience.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know about games development but looking at InXile and others "middle size" developers a workforce of more or less 100 people doesn't seem middle size.
Obsidian as a whole company is around 100 people, but they have 2-3 projects at a time. I think Skyrim's team size was closer to 200, and this ignores that Zenimax has all the business side while that's included in Obsidian's count.

Duraframe300

Arcane
a lot of people dismissing the allods team because they're russian itt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nival_(company)

their list of games is actually pretty solid

They are not the Allods team. I had the opportunity to shortly chat with a Nival employee in the RPS comments. He holds the Allods Team in high regard though.

Yup, I work at Nival.
Allods Team at Mail.ru is a bunch of great and talented people, so I hope Skyforge will do well. It is very ambitious project though.

Semper

Cipher
btw is there something known about their next gen project? i doubt that the mmo counts as that.

Duraframe300

Arcane
btw is there something known about their next gen project? i doubt that the mmo count as that.

Nope. Well, a little. It's around (should be) the size of the South Park team (50-60+) and I'm more and more sure it's using Cryengine (Was mentioned multiple times now and with Feargus describing it as "great to work with", well....). Also the Art Director ordered Blueprints for it.

grdja

Augur
Hey Allods Online wasn't all bad. Sure the gameplay was generic bad WOW clone, and F2P model was most brutal I've ever seen, but world-building was almost actually nice and original.

Kinda silly. Interplay died because it tried to bite in console market, after so many years Obsidian, so close to grasping freedom (kickstarter) is going down same drain.

Rake

Arcane
The problem is that Obsidian is a AAA company without AAA funding. Definently not middle size like inXile, who can only work in 1,5 "small games"( team of 15-30). Obsidian works on 2-3 semi AAA at the same time.

The core Bethesda team is around 120 people, and they hire and lay off as needed. Prety close to Obsidian. The diffirence is that Obsidian works on multiple projects at once and Bethesda focus on one project at a time because they can afford it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe we'll see a few expansions for Eternity.

Because of inXile they cannot do something torment-like, so their choices of what to pitch next as a kickstarter seems limited.
I reckon they could draw the numbers if they do a Space Opera.

Yeah, that would make sense. PE = game for disappointed Dragon Age fans. Now to cater to the Mass Effect fans. :P It would be very transparent though.
They already made that game, it was called Alpha Protocol.

Semper

Cipher
Interplay died because it tried to bite in console market, after so many years Obsidian, so close to grasping freedom (kickstarter) is going down same drain.

actually obsidian tries to withdraw from console/multiplatform aaa-market and switches focus on pc and tablets. with around 100 employees you simply can't reach a state where your business is kept alive through kickstarter. they always said that they want to use this chance to establish their own ip to hopefully create a steady income, which will then help to produce sequels/spin offs.

grdja

Augur
Looking at all sorts of little uberhard or trunbased, or isometric games for PSP and stuff, there is a non casual portable market there.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Ugh, Mail.Ru reminds me of

Allods Online
allodsonline_artworki_20091102_031.jpg

:rage:

They made Rage of Mages and Blitzkrieg and ended up with this.

Zeriel

Arcane
No surprise there! Mafia are the original masters of monetization.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem is that Obsidian is a AAA company without AAA funding. Definently not middle size like inXile, who can only work in 1,5 "small games"( team of 15-30). Obsidian works on 2-3 semi AAA at the same time.

The core Bethesda team is around 120 people, and they hire and lay off as needed. Prety close to Obsidian. The diffirence is that Obsidian works on multiple projects at once and Bethesda focus on one project at a time because they can afford it.
I don't see Obsidian surviving at that size on Kickstarter projects alone. Yet, they want to maintain their AAA size without trying to produce their own complete AAA popamole? Obsidian layoffs are coming.... I do feel bad for them :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't see Obsidian surviving at that size on Kickstarter projects alone. Yet, they want to maintain their AAA size without trying to produce their own complete AAA popamole? Obsidian layoffs are coming.... I do feel bad for them :(

Who said anything about Kickstarter projects alone?

"Parts of games", people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom