Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FIFE - a cross platform isometric game engine

Fez

Erudite
Indeed. I could imagine someone trying to write it out and it spreading out forever.

mvBarracuda

Augur
Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE update!

This time we got a whole pack of news for you today:
- Linux OpenGL bug that was worrying us for over a year finally fixed by OpenAnno developer!
- Rewrite of the rendering pipeline planned to improve performance and add the possibility of more advanced graphical features.
- FIFE becomes the Flexible Isometric Free Engine.
- 3 years of FIFE IRC birthday party at 2008/09/11.
- Departure of a founding developer. Who will it be?

You can read about it at the FIFE developer blog.

LCJr.

Erudite
What I'd like to know is anyone making a RPG with it? So far the only use I've seen is OpenAnno and JA2 Straticella(sp?).

Severian Silk

LCJr. said:
So far the only use I've seen is OpenAnno and JA2 Straticella(sp?).
I would be interested in some more information on that second one.

LCJr.

Erudite
Assnuggets said:
LCJr. said:
So far the only use I've seen is OpenAnno and JA2 Straticella(sp?).
I would be interested in some more information on that second one.

Misunderstanding on my part. Stracciatella doesn't use FIFE. Being perfect I blame Freegamer's jumbled up postings. http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2008/07/game-engine-news-cluster.html

Info on Stracciatella here.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=25577

Back on topic. OpenAnno is scheduled to have it's first playable release Oct. 1st. After reading about FIFE all this time it'll be nice to finally see it in action.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26435

mvBarracuda

Augur
Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update!

This time we got quite some important news to announce: the FIFE-based real-time economy simulation and strategy game OpenAnno released its first public milestone recently. The primary purpose of this release is to show the framework in action and to attract some new interested developers for the OpenAnno project this way. Although there is rudimentary gameplay available, don't expect something too sophisticated our you'll end up disappointed. Their release comes in three flavours: precompiled binaries for 32 & 64bit Linux distros and a win32 installer:
* OpenAnno 2008.1 release download site

For the ones who want to get a first impression before downloading the release, there are screenshots and an official release trailer for your viewing pleasure :)

Screenshot:

Release trailer:
* Low quality youtube version.
* High quality MKV version (H.264 + Ogg Vorbis >> Matroska container).

Read the full blog posting at the FIFE developer blog :)

Higher Game

Arcane
Wow, that could be used to make an awesome Populous like game. The music is really cool, too, even if not really post-apoc. :lol:

mvBarracuda

Augur
Great idea :) I was really addicted to Populous back in my AMIGA 500 days in the early 90's.

OpenAnno music is not meant to be post-apoc though you prolly just made a joke and I failed to spot the irony trap.

A little correction concerning my posting above: I've screwed up the URL of the hq version of the video. Here's the correct one:
http://openanno.org/upload/openanno-2008.1-demo.mkv

mvBarracuda

Augur
Hello and welcome to yet another FIFE news update :)

When I decided to step back from my position as project manager of FIFE so I could focus on my studies and private life back in September last year, I was hoping to find a new developer who would overtake my tasks and act as new project manager of FIFE. Unfortunately there were no long waiting queues of volunteers who would have liked to jump into this effort right away. On the other side I didn't invest much time and effort into finding a replacement for me as I was preparing for my final Latin exams back then. So now that that I got some spare free time on my hands, I'll tell you how you can contribute to the future of the FIFE project.

LinuxDonald, the former project manager of the FIFE-based OpenAnno project, recently got in contact with me and volunteered for taking over the project management duties of FIFE. I was quite happy that he's interested in this position as that's a good chance to resume the development of the project, that is currently on halt. The idea to create a cross platform open source isometric 2d game engine is one that I still believe in; it's just that I lack the time and motivation to continue supporting this project by being responsible for a vast number of tasks. Therefore I would like to help handing over the project to an active development team as much as possible.

You want to know, what the fuzz is about all about? Read the full news at the FIFE developer blog.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Glad to hear there is someone to push the project forward. The engine looks promising and I hope it gets finished!

cardtrick

Arbiter
Sorry to hear you'll be leaving the FIFE project, mvBarracuda -- you've done great work, and the posts I've read from you here and at the gamedev.net forums are among the finest examples of open source project PR I've seen. You seemed to have the vision and the determination to lead this kind of a project, and I think it will suffer in your absence. I took a good look at FIFE more than once, and although I decided in the end that it wasn't right for me, I still feel that it's one of the most promising game engines out there. I hope development continues without you, and I'd just like to wish you the best of luck in the future, whatever that brings.

mvBarracuda

Augur
Thanks cardtrick :) Just wanted to let you know that your feedback is more than appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom