Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taurist

Scholar
Weird call with the RPG mechanics. Character action games are actually less popular than RPG-lite games like Twitcher or whatever.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Weird call with the RPG mechanics. Character action games are actually less popular than RPG-lite games like Twitcher or whatever.
I think they put a lot of resources into other areas and cut off in RPG mechanics. The game is clearly impressive in some aspects.

If you want a pretty and polished action game with good gameplay and story and no Clown World shit in it, and don't care a lot about challenge is going to be a good experience.

If you want to learn and master systems and overcome nasty encounters with your skill, or breaking RPG systems, don't buy it.

For me is a good game to transition before Armored Core releases for relaxed play after work.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In every interview YoshiP seemed really concerned about "what the younger audience" would be willing to play. And his idea about that was a button masher action game with shitloads of cutscenes.

Ryzer

Arcane
So how is this game?

Last final fantasy I played was 13 and it was awful.

How is this one?

Duraframe300

Arcane
So how is this game?

Last final fantasy I played was 13 and it was awful.

How is this one?
Read what was posted above. Make your own conclusion.

But for repeat:

If you're interested in the narrative or gameplay (though just wait for the pc version then and potential patches/mods that adress the first playthough difficulty because its too easy). It's good.

If you're looking for deeper rpg mechanics or difficulty in any way. No, stay away. Very much a storyfaq game.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"This game is great because it has no black people in it! GOTY! All the libtards are sooo triggered, fuck yeah!" - Codex 2023
Bad summary of people's opinions in this thread.

I personally think is good, not great, and I like there is no diversity in the game.

And I don't care about transies and faggots feelings or opinions.

They should worry about not having to wear diapers at 30 years old or having a life expectancy greater than 40 years.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"This game is great because it has no black people in it! GOTY! All the libtards are sooo triggered, fuck yeah!" - Codex 2023
Bad summary of people's opinions in this thread.

I personally think is good, not great, and I like there is no diversity in the game.
Agree on bad summary, but technically there's the
gay kiss
later in the game.

Not as drastic as originally imagined and considering how the game handled everything else so far (and the fact that certain outlets haven't overly exploited it) I don't think it's going to be badly handled. Just mentioning for the sake of correctness.

Gerrard

Arcane
And the guy responsible for combat has apparently said that he himself thinks it's better than DMC5. Anyone have a source for this?

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The trouble is: the bigger your budget is, the less gameplay you want to include because in order to make a meaningful return on your megabucks expenses you need to target the widest possible cross section of customers. And gameplay is fundamentally something that stops people from consuming your product. So it gets cut.

Is it a FF advert, or a bluetooth headphone advert? And why do those men look like they're on 'roids with all the corresponding symptoms of poor impulse control + manic behavior? Are headbangers with shrunken testicles the target market for JRPGs now?

Gamezor

Learned
I liked the stuff in first half of demo a lot but rationally I should wait for them or mods to fix the difficulty and also clean up the general sort of greyness of the graphics before I spend $70.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
The trouble is: the bigger your budget is, the less gameplay you want to include because in order to make a meaningful return on your megabucks expenses you need to target the widest possible cross section of customers. And gameplay is fundamentally something that stops people from consuming your product. So it gets cut.

Is it a FF advert, or a bluetooth headphone advert? And why do those men look like they're on 'roids with all the corresponding symptoms of poor impulse control + manic behavior? Are headbangers with shrunken testicles the target market for JRPGs now?

A marketing team has likely decided that Asian fantasy games have a (deserved) reputation as being lame and dorky. So, they're attempting to make it look like something a bunch of cool, sporty young adults would do.

It is just an excellent action RPG with gameplay akin to Dark Souls or the Witcher 3. Codexers never gave even two shits about Final Fantasy, so why should they care that it is now an action RPG series?

This is now what Final Fantasy is and that is a good thing. I personally also didn't care about Final Fantasy until they took the action route starting with Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and I am pretty sure many others feel the same way. If anybody is in the mood for turn-based combat, then they can play Octopath Traveler.

0UbB2tj.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Can't blame codexers. Years of ham-fisted wokeness and prioritizing agenda over gameplay have led to a kneejerk reaction from everyone. So anything that even slightly criticizes this gets the crowd cheering.

Elttharion

Learned
Sorry if you already answered this, but are you playing it subbed or dubbed? I know English VA is supposed to be the original and people complained about bad lip syncing while playing with japanese audio. Just curious to see how good, or bad, is the voice acting and the dialogue. Thanks
I'm playing in English and the VA is serviceable, everyone kind of reminds me of Basch from FF12. The game takes itself pretty seriously, at least so far. Lip are indeed synced to English so playing with wapanese voices would cause a disconnect there.
:brodex:

Thanks!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The ekon battle looks exactly as i expected. Cheal thrills with no depth that wears old after the first time.

I have no ps5 but the worst fear that i see from skillup review has come true. It's another no substance all style from modern square enix. They will never implement something like grid sphere again.

It being an action game has no part in it because a lot of action rpg has in depth system like dragons dogma. Hell even ys games looks like it has more depth and variety to the combat. The newer ones have the need of exploiting weakness by damage types and encourage you to switch characters that have completely different playstyle. The world has some semblance of exploration and the side quests are generally interesting like all other falcom games.

Hell DMC V has pretty deep and varied combat system with barely any rpg elements. With ff xvi the problem is probably they lock hard mode before completing the game and base game is brain dead

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Final Fantasy 16 is Being Review Bombed​

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-16-review-bomb-why-metacritic/

Final Fantasy 16 is currently being review bombed, with its overall user score sitting at 6.8 compared to its 88 critic score. Final Fantasy 16 has earned rave reviews from critics so far, with many hailing it as one of the best main series FF games to date. However, there is some controversy surrounding the game, mainly pertaining to the fact that it's a PlayStation 5 exclusive release.
Just makes it seem more and more that user reviews on Metacritic are becoming practically worthless.

cruel

Cipher
I've played the game for a few more hours - GotY so far. Excellent combat, music, authentic characters, mature tone, cool story. And finally a game that doesn't waste your time with filler - you sit and play for 2h and can expect stuff to happen and at least get something memorable.

Flaws: the game is too easy, and somewhat linear so far. Exploration is rewarding, but the quality of rewards is pretty low. I'm sure Square will release a proper difficulty patch sooner or later.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Final Fantasy 16 is Being Review Bombed​

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-16-review-bomb-why-metacritic/

Final Fantasy 16 is currently being review bombed, with its overall user score sitting at 6.8 compared to its 88 critic score. Final Fantasy 16 has earned rave reviews from critics so far, with many hailing it as one of the best main series FF games to date. However, there is some controversy surrounding the game, mainly pertaining to the fact that it's a PlayStation 5 exclusive release.
Just makes it seem more and more that user reviews on Metacritic are becoming practically worthless.
Aggregate scores are always trash. Find a reviewer you trust or individual reviews on any site that you feel you resonate with is the way.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I must say I find the praise for the glowing praise for the story somewhat bizarre. It's OK, not great. The demo was good but it went downhill pretty quick after that but perhaps it picks back up again (I'm only ~35% in).

It isn't clown world bad but that doesn't make it good.

Furthermore, whatever merit there is to the gameplay is destroyed by the non-existent difficulty, and let's not even talk about the lack of character building and itemisation...

The music seems pretty good but there isn't any stand out track so far (about 35% in). I guess there doesn't have to be but that used to be a staple in these games, albeit two decades ago or so...

The visuals are good but there are also pretty dire performance issues, despite frame rate being locked at 30. There is also an overuse of particle effects that sometimes makes it hard to tell what's going on, although the lack of difficulty means this doesn't really matter I suppose.

This game feels like a solid 7-8. Still enjoyable but nothing to really write home about, as an action game or JRPG.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I must say I find the praise for the glowing praise for the story somewhat bizarre. It's OK, not great. The demo was good but it went downhill pretty quick after that but perhaps it picks back up again (I'm only ~35% in).
Disagree on that. Prologue was ok, if too GoTy, but by far the best parts of the writing came after for me in the character and world-building.
Comes down to subjectivity I suppose.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Disagree on that. Prologue was ok, if too GoTy, but by far the best parts of the writing came after for me in the character and world-building.
Comes down to subjectivity I suppose.
Maybe. My perspective is that the prologue held some promise but that it's being betrayed by the rest of the game.

The world building only seems to get worse as the game goes along and the characters are childlike, despite the dark tone.

I'll not go into detail until I've actually finished the game and can give a fair assessment, perhaps things get better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom