Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The thing the game is heavily combat focused, but in DMC you have a robust scoring system, so beating missions in normal with C rate is kind of lame, so you are encouraged to play better.
This is probably one of the biggest issues for the perception of FF XVI combat being about easy or "about mashing buttons". DMC 5 is actually quite easy at normal levels, a lot of the enemies are very passive as well and, if we are speaking strictly of beating levels, doesn't really ask much of the player in terms of combos and using all your tools. You could get by perfectly by just spamming the strongest attacks or using just basic combos and dodging. But the Ranking does encourage players to perform better and kind of "mocks" you if you do not try to improve. For some strange reason they decided that the normal difficulty of FF XVI wouldn't show the scoring, supposedly so players can focus on "the experience".

To add to this, the fact that there is no score penalty for using healing items, coupled with bosses having checkpoints in their fights (so if you die you don't have to start from the beginning of the fight) and no score penalty for dying, makes the game feel more lenient to players. Hi-Fi Rush has this system too, and while it is not a hard game, it does offer a decent challenge to get good ranks because while dying doesn't make you restart a fight, it does count for your final ranking. Having a average of S rank and dying once at the end of the level is quite a kick in the balls. So even if a boss is decently challenging, players can heal a decent amount of times trivializing the fight.

They shoot themselves in the foot, probably triying to be too accessible for people that do not play actions games and by trying to smash together RPG elements with Hack n' Slash gameplay.
Totally agree. They should have put a good scoring system like DMC.

I remember restarting missions in those games to get good scores, and of course never using healing items, maybe only in the final hardest boss in the game.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I guess my position is that if a game is piss easy, then the gameplay is flawed by the very nature of that extreme lack of challenge.

There are absolutely games out there where the mechanics themselves make the gameplay easy. Having recently seen some promotional materials for Hellblade sequel, I was reminded of the first one being easy by design, with little that could be done to make it more difficult without also making it unpleasant to play. FFXVI has all the right tools for being challenging while remaining fair and enjoyable, as all it really needs is faster and harder hitting enemies.

Jinn

Arcane
FFXVI has all the right tools for being challenging while remaining fair and enjoyable, as all it really needs is faster and harder hitting enemies.

I know, that's why I'm complaining about it. The post you quoted is about how it probably isn't a 10/10 game, with the lack of difficulty and lost potential as a result being a huge reason why.

I was reminded of the first one being easy by design, with little that could be done to make it more difficult without also making it unpleasant to play.

Which is a game I wouldn't want to play, and one that I would consider being bad at being a game.

Jinn

Arcane
FF has never been known for its difficulty, to be honest

That's kind of besides the point and has little to do with what I'm talking about. As I've said before, Final Fantasy XVI might as well - and probably should have been - a spinoff or original title. But beyond that, they're trying to bring FF into the "current year." So, add an appropriate difficulty setting for those who want to interact with your combat in a more engaging way.

FF has never been known for its difficulty, to be honest.

The classic Final Fantasies like FF5 had a lot of "you opened a chest and encountered a rare monster that one shots your entire party! Now you have to redo the entire last 2 hours since your last save!". The PS1 Final Fantasies were braindead easy. 10 and 13 had some really difficult battles. 12 just required AFK grinding a lot.

Delterius

Arcane
FF has never been known for its difficulty, to be honest.
True enough, but even chill games can be neutered by being too easy. Old school Final Fantasy games were attrition wars with bountiful healing, and items. They were farcical, more or less, because the whole idea was to grind experience and out-level your foes. Perseverance was the name of the business. Nonetheless you got to use your cool spells and skills in those fights. So even going through the motions could be fun enough.

From what I'm hearing FFXVI might be so easy that it becomes self-sabotaging. Even if the game has a good framework, if it's too forgiving then it all falls apart.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't know. I only played the demo. Maybe Final Fantasy mode will offer some semblance of challenge.

About FFV, there were mimic chests, but you'd mostly be fine if you had a decent party. I beat the final boss without him ever getting an attack in.

Delterius

Arcane
Honestly I would be happy to play an FF game that just doesn't have a fucking terrible story, at this point
FFXV: "Oh no, our kingdom and father were just annihilated by the evil empire! Let's go fishing and then continue our camping trip!"
God, I don't know how anyone could have genuinely enjoyed that story.
needs to watch 2 animes 3 movies seventeen commercials and play 5 offshoot kingdom hearts games first and thats just the post graduate work

Anonona

Learned
Don't forget, read a novel for the true ending and play the now defunct multiplayer mode to get the whole story.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
This game is actually pretty good for a corporate product. I can’t even remember the last time I bought a new game that I didn’t uninstall in disgust on the first day or two playing it.

When I was a young man, we all made fun of Japanese games for having a male cast of what we called “faggots”. How Ironic that nowadays the only place you can find a game with any masculinity on display (in the men, at least) is in Final Fantasy.

It has a weird tone for final fantasy, A Song of Ice and Fantasy would be a more fitting title. You play as Jon Stark and have a dire wolf, your father who sounds exactly like Sean Bean is killed, blonde women are all evil. I think they’re trying to make Final Fantasy into a cool franchise for hip adults now. Your characters get covered in blood like in Dragon Age, there are extremely cringey HBO-style nude pillow talk scenes, I think there’s a bunch of politics happening, but my eyes start to glaze over when they talk for too long.

The game isn’t open world (yay!), it has crafting (BOO!) and a skill tree (BOOOO!) Though the crafting has been pointless so far, you just buy a sword then walk over to the forge and upgrade it to +2 right away. Never lacked for materials. Your character levels up periodically and some arbitrary numbers increase. It could easily be removed, and you wouldn’t notice a difference. Level ups only exist to trick fools into releasing their favorite neurotransmitters.

It’s very pretty if you’re in to gawking at landscape portraits, plenty of pointless spectacle if you’re prone to being captivated by flashing lights, the dialogue is stupid but inoffensive. The main character is a stoic, grunty type of guy so he isn’t constantly talking to himself in the typical modern style (thank Christ).

The enemies aren’t hard to beat but the bosses have too many hitpoints which clashes with the weighty nature of the protagonists’ swings. The fighting uses too many buttons IMO. For example, dog commands use the same buttons as your potions, so it’s a noob trap to make you fuck up and use the dog when you’re trying to heal. As the game goes on, it adds more and more buttons to cycle through. Might as well learn to play an instrument. I found out that using the lunge combo (Square + X, Triangle) knocks down non-boss enemies. Then you blink over and execute them (O, Square) and then lunge combo again. With this you can trounce infinite normal enemies without any danger to your person.

It's the equivalent of a blockbuster superhero movie with constant crazy shit happening, demigod battles and Godzilla monster fights. Haven’t noticed any dumbass preachy children’s messaging about accepting Earth’s deviants but I also do daydream a lot while playing because there’s too much talking. Worth buying if you want to be entertained but don’t want to think too hard or be overtly preached to by retards.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Curious to know how the game will perform in terms of sales
The PS5 despite being 3 years old, is still far and away from the number of PS4 units (plus only now are AAA studios starting to ditch the old console generation)
And I'm thinking this game's sucess (or lack there of) will determine the future of the series

The game will sell well enough.
  • It is the first notable PS5 exclusive so PS5 owners will buy it because what else is there?. Similar situation to Fire Emblem Awakening becoming a breakout hit on the 3DS since it was the first notable exclusive on that system and there wasn't really anything else worth getting at the time (Pokemon XY hadn't released yet).
  • First high production value singleplayer high fantasy RPG since The Witcher 3, almost 8 years ago. Up until now people's only options for high fantasy RPGs have either been MMOs, the occasional lower budget JRPG, or lesser crap nobody remembers.
  • Final Fantasy brand name to rope in the millennials and gen Ys.
  • Marketing campaign and news articles plastered on the front of IGN and Youtube channels promoting the game will bring in others.
  • FFXIV cultists will buy in and evangelize the game because their lord and savior Yoshi-P is the most prominent figure for the game (and also Soken doing the music).

Gruncheon

Augur
Finished it this morning - it's such a hard game to rate. Parts of it leave you wondering what the dev team were thinking. The 88 Metacritic is very on point, but it's more true to say that the highs are at 96 and the lows are 80 and below. I like it for the highs, but the lows are so cripplingly low that you can't separate the two. You'll never quite be able to ignore the 5 hour stretch after the opening.

Still, I'm very fond of it. For me, it's so rare to see a big-budget game that focuses on sincere familial love, duty and has a good old-fashioned male-female love story anymore. The sentiment of the game, the whole overall ethos, feels like something out of a pre WW1 boy's own adventure novel, something like Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company, or illustrated collections of the Arthurian legends. In that sense, I think it's a precious thing for our times. You don't get many high-minded things in the mass culture anymore, and it's a shame that it's not selling as well as it deserves.

MMO DEVS = MMO QUALITY = DO NOT PLAY

Is there a rule against copy pasting /v/ shitposts while adding nothing to the discussion? Maybe mods just make an exception for you because they feel bad about your brain problem?

cruel

Cipher
This is the #1 best selling game on PlayStation Store in the USA right now, beating NBA, FIFA, Call of Duty and other crap. Square will be very happy with the numbers.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom