Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Firearms in RPGs. The best and worst depictions.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In real life, decent armors don't get cut by swords. Targeting weak points, while possible, is rather difficult, the better made the armor is (ie leaving less non armored parts in front), meaning that one of the core of actual knight style combat is GRAPPLING, not the clashing of the sword, and it's properly depicted in many medieval graphics.

Or using warhammers.

the satisfaction of upgrading/tuning the Assault Rifles to never overheat so that you could literally walk through combat arenas holding down left-click the entire time.

Still look like toys.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In real life, decent armors don't get cut by swords. Targeting weak points, while possible, is rather difficult, the better made the armor is (ie leaving less non armored parts in front), meaning that one of the core of actual knight style combat is GRAPPLING, not the clashing of the sword, and it's properly depicted in many medieval graphics.

Or using warhammers.

I like the "good at everything" pole variations.
j4kbkdm.jpg

A spear for weak spots, a hammer to bash things and an axe to cut fleshy peasants. All with the strength and the range of a pole weapon. What's not to love?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout New Vegas theme is postapocalyptic cowboy western in retrofuturism, if you can understand that. So the lack of heavy armored troop concentration (that warrant a nuke) is thematic~
Lol what about the big war that is happening.

laclongquan

Arcane
The only thing resemble a big war in Fallout New Vegas is the final battle at Hoover Dam where concentration of troops on both size reach beyond 2 hand count on both side. Normally any encounter it's a small squad, around 5, on each side, if that.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The only thing resemble a big war in Fallout New Vegas is the final battle at Hoover Dam where concentration of troops on both size reach beyond 2 hand count on both side. Normally any encounter it's a small squad, around 5, on each side, if that.
Nope even battle of Hoover dam has like 10 dudes on each side but this is thanks to gaymebro engine lorewise there should be much more people duking it out even before the final battle.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Lo, though I do not know which rpg game has the best firearm depictions - I only know exactly when and where I was when I realized how much it mattered: when I received my copy of Deus Ex 2.

ThewDev

Novice
I prefer every other weapon over swords. Hammers, spears, halberds, maces, axes(...) swords are a bit overrated IMO.
Well, I suppose I'm more of a mace man myself, but my comment about swords and skeletons was meant to illustrate that I enjoy fantasy RPGs and wasn't meant to be taken literally. But I guess I'll add that I also enjoy when medieval weapons are portrayed in a realistic way as well.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
NEO Scavenger.
While game doesn't have massive variety of guns and it's encounter system is pretty abstract affair where player mainly has some ability to control distance to enemy position wise; ammo scarcity and the fact that when bullets hit those do severe, but seldom instantly fatal damage.
There's just something that works in waiting that wolfman to almost reach you and blasting it with shotgun few meters away, then falling back until it collapses from shock and bleeding.
Same goes for enemies, weakest scavenger might be a massive threat if it's wielding (maybe empty) pistol.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Colony Ship, weapons are quite good so far from what i've seen of the combat beta and the combat system is just great.

Fallout 1/2 offers a great selection with the best sound effects.

I find Arcanum way better with guns, either with a mixed party or a full gun party, spamming harm is just boring.

Of course, nothing works as well as Silent Storm and UFO ballistic systems, their respective sound effects are quite good too, they're not RPG though.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is decent (i can't stand the matrix part so i just cheat whenever i have to use it)

As for the Worst ones...
Most of them aren't RPG so i'll not name them.
Shadowrun Returns is just autistic (immortal/respawning critters) and i find DragonFall terribly bland.
Deadfire, looks like they just added firearms for the hipsters: "look, you can use ancient firearms in our game, they're useless but it's kewl"
Expeditions Conquistadors is decent but there's no weapon variety, the game isn't much of a RPG anyway.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
I just remembered that DOS 2 was supposed to have guns but they were cut, so we probably just missed the best depiction of firearms in CRPG history
:swen:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom