Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Dragon Age screens & art

Zhirzzh

Scholar
No.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No. They're real SHMUPS that are about skill.

I sent you a PM, JarlFrank, outlining my current obsession.

I heartily recommend also, for MAME/KAWAKS: DoDonPachi, ProGear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix. The latter should take you months of daily practice to be good at it. I'm too focused on the other games to practice it propely though.

People who prefer simple "upraged after mission games" should try Raptor, very fun in this veign. There's also Jets & Guns, which, while not nearly as good as the two, has a very good soundtrack from Machina Supremacy.

Also, the good thing, if you get Mame/Kawaks, we can actually 2-player DoDonPachi, ProGear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix. And when you have enough of these we can play Metal Slug, a game that is fun no matter how bad you are.

Mars Matrix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3aksHBAtSo
Awfully difficult for me. This is only stage three.
Progear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6qzcQUV9Nk
Very difficult, moreso than Mars Matrix, arguably. Very fun, great art. Stages one and two on this video.

All the games I mentioned, as well as these in the PM, are Bullet Hell. The one in the PM is native to the PC, Jarl Frank.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
PC bullet hell... Wild guess: Hitogata Happa?

As for Dragon Age: call me insane but I think the screenshots look nice. Not extraordinarily great or anything, but it's far from horrible. I care more for the gameplay than the graphics, anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't tried that one yet, but FallenAngelVeronica, an English-speaking Touhou expert, says it's great fun so I'll try it and report. Very Japanese though. Obviously.

Suicidal

Arcane
Jasede said:
Mars Matrix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3aksHBAtSo
Awfully difficult for me. This is only stage three.
Progear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6qzcQUV9Nk
Very difficult, moreso than Mars Matrix, arguably. Very fun, great art. Stages one and two on this video.

Lol, I want that!

I don't know why, but I like games like that.

I recently played a similar game on a PS emulator (and still am from time to time, as it's non-linear) and now I'll have to try these.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
I've heard very good things about Ikaruga. Anyone played it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This thread is why VD failz at being news poster. :cry:

J1M

Arcane
Zhirzzh said:
I've heard very good things about Ikaruga. Anyone played it?
I think it's more fun than all the other games you guys are talking about.

J1M

Arcane
Volourn said:
This thread is why VD failz at being news poster. :cry:
The title says first, not new screens. Technically correct is the best kind of correct. :D

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I honestly doubt J1M actually played all these games.

However.

Ikaruga -is- amazing. It is easily the very best shoot 'em up. Maybe not the hardest (but very, very hard) one, maybe not the very prettiest (but very pretty) but somehow, it is just very, very good in everything, resulting in a really good experience. I'd say it's easily the best SHMUP I ever played and my second favourite game of all time, surpassed only by Turrican 2 for the Amiga. You can find it in arcades, on the Gamecube and on the Dreamcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNSdcy-apU <= last stage of Ikaruga. Yes, it has only five stages. That doesn't matter. The music is great too.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Jeff Graw said:
Zhirzzh said:
Well, Tyrian 2000 is really, really, easy.

I take it you've never played on impossible, suicidial, or lord of the game difficulties then? Didn't think so.

And may I assume that you haven't played many hard shmups??

Thank you Jasede, it looks great. I think I'll pick it up soon.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Jeff Graw said:
Zhirzzh said:
Well, Tyrian 2000 is really, really, easy.

I take it you've never played on impossible, suicidial, or lord of the game difficulties then? Didn't think so.

Keep in mind that in these games I am putting pictures of into this post, there is no health bar. One hit and you die, though you may be able to get extra lives.

PCByukari140.jpg

mushifutari-bl.jpg

mmat0045.png

kris

Arcane
kazgar said:
Im 13 hours into July 9 and still have no news...

VAPORWARE!

DRAGON AGE FOREVER!

Edmonton several hours minus GMT.

Jasede said:
Actually, the arcade is where true gamers live, playing hard-as-fuck ass-insanse shmups.

Ah, true gamers, somehow different from other gamers.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, I meant with true gamers people who have the free time to waste to practice a difficult SHMUP 2000000 times until they're good at it. People with square eyes, incredible reflexes and no hygiene.

kazgar

Arcane
20 hours into the day and nothing.

I bet it'll be the 10th for me before anything happens.

the first of many lies.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
Well, I meant with true gamers people who have the free time to waste to practice a difficult SHMUP 2000000 times until they're good at it. People with square eyes, incredible reflexes and no hygiene.

Why don't you better load up some RTS on insane and several enemies?

J1M

Arcane
Jasede said:
I honestly doubt J1M actually played all these games.

However.

Ikaruga -is- amazing. It is easily the very best shoot 'em up. Maybe not the hardest (but very, very hard) one, maybe not the very prettiest (but very pretty) but somehow, it is just very, very good in everything, resulting in a really good experience. I'd say it's easily the best SHMUP I ever played and my second favourite game of all time, surpassed only by Turrican 2 for the Amiga. You can find it in arcades, on the Gamecube and on the Dreamcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNSdcy-apU <= last stage of Ikaruga. Yes, it has only five stages. That doesn't matter. The music is great too.
I never claimed to have played them all.

You probably won't be able to fully appreciate this link unless you've played Ikaruga, but it's amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
kazgar said:
20 hours into the day and nothing.

I bet it'll be the 10th for me before anything happens.

the first of many lies.

Patience is a virtue.
Odds are, Bioware will give the Codex no reason to complain about matters within the scope of role-playing value this time.
Naivete does not suit me, that I am aware of - having said that, it's high time they learned from their mistakes. One cannot err till infinity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom