Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Dragon Age screens & art

racofer

Thread Incliner
You lack the required brain cells to understand my point, since it's not related specifically to games, which by the way seems to be the only thing you can comprehend.

Good bye.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
racofer said:
You lack the required brain cells to understand my point, since it's not related specifically to games, which by the way seems to be the only thing you can comprehend.

Good bye.
You lack the brain cells to understand that your point is so overt, that there are no brain cells required to understand it. Fact that someone thinks your point sucks doesn't necesseraly involve lack of understanding.

Goodbuy.

PS
Censoring violence and sex in games is pointless no matter how you look at it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This was pretty awesome. For once, KC doesn't just give an ironic remark but raises great points and makes sense, and then he receives a reply like this.

I think racofer lacks the brain cells-

Oh thanks Gni.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A part of me want to be optimistic about Dragon age and all the talking about going back to the roots of CRPG instead of Hack and slash simpleton gaming that they normally do sounds good on paper.

But this is Bioware.....

Bioware....the masters of Cliche.

I have more Faith in them then Bethesda, but still they are Bioware and that is not helping me trying to get optimistic about this game.

spacemoose

Erudite
oh there's more than a superficial connection between pretend violence and actual violence. violence is about the most basic expression of power. and people love power, people love violence, they respect it. they love it even more when violence is put down by more violence, its physical drama. see cops crack some heads, a good show. the schoolyard fight to settle the pecking order is a goddamn cultural staple. its not conductive to everyday life, so we condemn it officially, but love it just the same. even girls love it, although very few of them will admit it

sex is censored because of culture/religion that boils down to "we must guard our women" the most precious resource as cleve put it I believe

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When did they say "go back to the roots"? As far as I know they said "Dragon's Age is the spiritual successor to all our previous games.".

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jasede said:
When did they say "go back to the roots"? As far as I know they said "Dragon's Age is the spiritual successor to all our previous games.".

I am pretty shore i came across it in a interview some time ago.
I will go look for it.

On a side not i think they have to go back to the roots of CRPG gaming to sell to the PC crowd (it is still a PC only game right) because the people who where the target of JE and ME was more or less the the simple minded jocks of the 360.

PC is the the place where the last remnant of true gamers still live.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Actually, the arcade is where true gamers live, playing hard-as-fuck ass-insanse shmups.

Mareus

Magister
Screw the graphics. Just make a bloody RPG already. ME was pretty dissapointing and I hope Dragon Age doesn't follow it in terms of quests and bland empty world. Also ditch the 3 D shit and make isometric battles. Fuck, if you just make it like Baldur's Gate 2, I would pay a fortune to play it. Come on mr Bioware man... do it for the fans.

PS. I know it's not going to happen. After seeing FO3 turn to shit, which I thought would be impossible, ...I predict another nextgen RPG that will at best be like NWN2.

Texas Red

Whiner
Mareus said:
Screw the graphics. Just make a bloody RPG already. ME was pretty dissapointing and I hope Dragon Age doesn't follow it in terms of quests and bland empty world. Also ditch the 3 D shit and make isometric battles. Fuck, if you just make it like Baldur's Gate 2, I would pay a fortune to play it. Come on mr Bioware man... do it for the fans.

It was said a long time ago that exploring is FPP while combat is isometric. This is a pretty good idea but with a 5 year development time, engine changes etc. you can probably expect DA to go full ARPG instead of RTwP as first intended. The second screen doesn't exactly show isometric combat, does it now.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"you can probably expect DA to go full ARPG instead of RTwP as first intended. The second screen doesn't exactly show isometric combat, does it now."

L0L ME is RT with pause. Yet, it is Action RPG and BG is not.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Jasede said:

I remember it being advertised as a spiritual successor only to BG but I guess they chickened out.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
The second screen doesn't exactly show isometric combat, does it now.

I could very well be mistaken, but the second screen looks suspiciously like concept art to me or at the very least a composite. The texturing on the background and undead thing's legs seems a bit blurry and cartoonish to me.

kazgar

Arcane
Its the 9th of July here now!

Where's my sneak peak!

More importantly, is dragonforce doing the soundtrack?!?!

Balor

Arcane
Well, Dragonforce would be a very nice addition to a fast-paced arcade game, but for a thoughtful RPG?
On the other hand, it might actually be a good addition after all, you can never know after Mass Effect :).
Anyway, right now any exclamations "It will suck" are retarded. We don't know about anything yet, and Bioware can come up with both good and bad - they are known for both.
On the other hand, 'hope for the best but expect the worst' approach is a good one, too.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
racofer said:
Btw: I can't remember exactly which country it was, but if I remember correctly there's an European country that allows sexual scenes on movies/games for teenagers since their twelves or fourteens but prohibits hardcore violence until they are at least eighteen years old. This was the possibly the sanest thing I've seen in my life considering such matters. Does anyone know what country was that?

Germany. I have to know, I live there.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Actually, the arcade is where true gamers live, playing hard-as-fuck ass-insanse shmups.

Got any good shmups for PC to recommend? Anything from old DOS classics to modern ones. I especially like the bullet hell ones.

Truth

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Jasede said:

Got any good shmups for PC to recommend? Anything from old DOS classics to modern ones. I especially like the bullet hell ones.

Raiden II is one of my favorites and definitely a masterpiece. Debris flying everywhere, wrecks leaving craters, and the phallic joy of waving around a huge purple homing lock on plasma laser...all in a game that came out 15 years ago. Also Warning Forever and Rayhound.

Others are mostly arcade games emulated via MAME. I'm guessing Dodonpachi is the Fur's current fixation. I like the Raiden Fighters series and classics (galaga, defender). There was a Capcom shmup I used to like to play that was basically a UN Squadron/Area88 clone (the SNES version is superior of that one, btw) but took place in downtown Tokyo. Forgot what it was called.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Well, Tyrian 2000 is really, really, easy. I've never played Raiden II, but I'd assume it's quite a bit harder.

I'd recommend Gradius 3.

Edit: I have played that game. Just didn't recognize the name. It is harder.

Raapys

Arcane
Does these games have Tyrian's ingenius 'upgrade ship after missions' feature though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom