Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Fallout 3 Gameplay footage

Tails

Arbiter
Now I get it why they didn't show the gameplay earlier...
May God save the Fallout.

Is it wrong that the game kind of makes me sick with it's glorification of violence? Especially in the new trailer they released. Headshots and violence galore. Am I just a pussy or has popular culture almost reached the bottom of the cesspool?

NiM82

Prophet
Truth said:
This game better fail both commercially and critically like Hellgate.

Nah it'll be like Doom3.

Everyone will buy (and hype) it, then 3 months down the line, no one will be playing it. Slagging it off will then be the in-thing on the 'popular' forums.

gc051360

Scholar
Truth said:

A lot of "critics" have declared it "Game of the year" already. How could it fail?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I doubt it's gonna tank critically: most gaming "journalists" clamored long before today that the game was gonna be awesome and no reserve was brought to my attention if any existed. Just like for Oblivion, none of the great gaming media will give a bad note to Fallout 3 despite its more than probable flaws.

That would be actually weird to see: after months of heralding Fallout 3 as one of the best games in preparation, the media are gonna turn their back on it and say it sucks.

As for the commercial failure, I seriously doubt it.

Tails

Arbiter
NiM82 said:
Truth said:

Nah it'll be like Doom3.

Everyone will buy (and hype) it, then 3 months down the line, no one will be playing it. Slagging it off will then be the in-thing on the 'popular' forums.
Nah, people are still playing Doom 3.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Stalker/Postal/Fallout Tactics mix. No step without some bastards running to you and try to take cover under your gun. Enclave was sooo scripted. "Oh noes they spot me"-my ass.

Lumpy

Arcane
Doesn't look that bad. It could be fun if the stupidity isn't excessive. Oblivion 2 sound appropriate.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Lumpy said:
Doesn't look that bad. It could be fun if the stupidity isn't excessive. Oblivion 2 sound appropriate.
Sure Postal was fun, so as far as violence goes, i am all in, but it'll get boring pretty fast and VATS-slo-mo will annoy crap out of everybody.

Lumpy

Arcane
jagged-jimmy said:
Lumpy said:
Sure Postal was fun, so as far as violence goes, i am all in, but it'll get boring pretty fast and VATS-slo-mo will annoy crap out of everybody.
I guess the slo-mo can be turned off.
Also it's good to know that Vats can be used for grenades as well.

sabishii

Arbiter
"Oh check this out the game lets me hack this turret to disable it but I'll just shoot at it with my laser rifle so you don't get to see that aspect of gameplay!"

I have to agree that the animations are quite shitty. In fact as a shooter it looks very disjointed. If they could take some notes from any other FPSes the game might be an enjoyable sandbox shooter. But Bethesda doesn't take notes, lol.

VATS looks like it has zero challenge to it. Even if it does... I'll bet the game'll turn off both the action/console crowd because they'll get bored of VATS and hate the lackluster combat, and even the average RPGer will think VATS is retarded. Target audience: Oblivion LARPer.

The Fatman was surprisingly my favorite thing about the video.

Is it wrong that the game kind of makes me sick with it's glorification of violence? Especially in the new trailer they released. Headshots and violence galore. Am I just a pussy or has popular culture almost reached the bottom of the cesspool?
The violence animation in the video sucks anyway. They should look at Stranglehold for good animations that don't get old (the target reacts appropriately, the animation is short but sweet, you can shoot them in the balls, etc.). Or AoC's fatalities.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
advancedaidg3.jpg

Running into a barrel = Advanced AI!

Lumpy

Arcane
sabishii said:
VATS looks like it has zero challenge to it. Even if it does... I'll bet the game'll turn off both the action/console crowd because they'll get bored of VATS and hate the lackluster combat, and even the average RPGer will think VATS is retarded. Target audience: Oblivion LARPer.
How is it different from Fallout's targeted shots?

Raapys

Arcane
Looks just like expected. They've turned it into an FPS. Problem is, Bethesda can't make FPS games, and thus there's a big likelihood it's going to fail even as a shooter.

sabishii

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
sabishii said:
How is it different from Fallout's targeted shots?
Well admittedly the video does make it seem easier than it probably is, since they probably put in a cheat. Still, one aspect which I think will make for easy gameplay is that you can pause the combat any time to use it, and then sprint back behind cover if you miss or you need to "charge up" your AP. Whereas in Fallout, the turn-based system forces you to be stuck out in the open after you make your attempted shot, where your enemies can do the same to you.

Now I forget if F3 lets your enemies perform VATS on you, but that would be interesting.

Chefe

Erudite
Raapys said:
Looks just like expected. They've turned it into an FPS. Problem is, Bethesda can't make FPS games, and thus there's a big likelihood it's going to fail even as a shooter.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Underwhelming, I must say. I hope that with a bit of luck it can match Stalker at times.
I expected more fireworks from the Fatman. As it is, it's just a firecracker, not like the real-life equivalent, the Davy Crocket. It featured a 0.5 kt warhead [500kg TNT]
1395221840_036dd0f996.jpg

W54davy2.jpg

Hm.. Fatman doesn't seem as far-fetched when I look at those pics...

Dire Roach

Prophet
sabishii said:
Now I forget if F3 lets your enemies perform VATS on you, but that would be interesting.
In the final boss battle of the game, when you fight against The President (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) while he is wearing a giant suit of power armor, the game suddenly pauses and you see the action from his first-person perspective. He says, "Ha Ha Ha! How do ya like this?!" and then you see the VATS hud appear. He then chooses to spend five action points to shoot missiles at your groin, but these can be easily dodged or shot down in mid-flight. In order to defeat him, you must use VATS immediately after each time he uses it against you in order to lob fatman nukes at his now-vulnerable missile launchers.

Dire Roach said:
sabishii said:
In the final boss battle of the game, when you fight against The President (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) while he is wearing a giant suit of power armor, the game suddenly pauses and you see the action from his first-person perspective. He says, "Ha Ha Ha! How do ya like this?!" and then you see the VATS hud appear. He then chooses to spend five action points to shoot missiles at your groin, but these can be easily dodged or shot down in mid-flight. In order to defeat him, you must use VATS immediately after each time he uses it against you in order to lob fatman nukes at his now-vulnerable missile launchers.

I think you mean: In the final boss battle of the game, when you fight against The President (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) while he is wearing a giant suit of power armor, the game suddenly pauses and you see the action from his first-person perspective. He says, "Ha Ha Ha! How do ya like this?!" and then you see the VATS hud appear. He then chooses to spend five action points to shoot missiles at your groin, but these can be easily dodged or shot down in mid-flight. In order to defeat him, you must use VATS immediately after each time he uses it against you in order to lob fatman nukes at his now-vulnerable missile launchers.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Anyone think this is similiar to the Oblivion voice over walkthrough they did.
And how come the ibot never discovered the vault?
And can you see that bloom, nvidia and ati are going to be raking in the cash when this game hits, you are going to need an nvidia 9600gt and its ati cousin to see all that bloom goodness.
Finally on VATS nobody in their right mind is going to be using that.
Vampire The Masquerade while it employed the HL2 engine and had action sequences never felt like a FPS.
Fallout 3 looks like its suppose to be a FPS game from that video game walkthrough more than a RPG.

Dire Roach

Prophet
sportforredneck said:
Dire Roach said:
sabishii said:

I think you mean: In the final boss battle of the game, when you fight against The President (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) while he is wearing a giant suit of power armor, the game suddenly pauses and you see the action from his first-person perspective. He says, "Ha Ha Ha! How do ya like this?!" and then you see the VATS hud appear. He then chooses to spend five action points to shoot missiles at your groin, but these can be easily dodged or shot down in mid-flight. In order to defeat him, you must use VATS immediately after each time he uses it against you in order to lob fatman nukes at his now-vulnerable missile launchers.

You and all those people who said Dumbledore dies on page 596 make me sick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom