Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Fallout 3 Gameplay footage

Dire Roach said:
You and all those people who said Dumbledore dies on page 596 make me sick.
It would only be bad if that was the actual ending. Is it the actual ending? Because that would the worst possible ending ever in a video game. Even the one Ghostbusters game where everything is spelled wrong would be better.

Also, Snape dies in the last book. Ron and Hermoine get married. And Harry being a pedo, marries Ron's younger sister Ginny. Anymore?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
sportforredneck said:
I think you mean: In the final boss battle of the game, when you fight against The President (voiced by Malcolm McDowell) while he is wearing a giant suit of power armor, the game suddenly pauses and you see the action from his first-person perspective. He says, "Ha Ha Ha! This Never Gets Old!" and then you see the VATS hud appear...

fixed.

They were clearly haxoring as lots of VATS shot's showed 00% but they hit everytime. Loved the awesome AI mesh that had guys either stand around waiting to get shot or run toward the attacker. Most of the gray palette enemies blended into the gray palette background. Todd sounds like a weenie. It's like every idiot from the old Interplay boards who posted something along the lines of 'Fallout would make a killer FPSes!!1' that was told to shut up and go away joined Bethesda.

WalterKinde

Scholar
skyway said:
It's a xbox 360 game. You won't need any new vidcard to run it.
True but its also a PC game and when Oblivion came out you had to shop for a new vid card to get or "surpass" what the 360 was displaying in terms of bloom etc.
Sure that old ati or nvidia could display the game but it didn't display what was shown in the preview pics and video.

yellowcake

Arcane
I consider myself an FPS whore and I was deeply unimpressed by this. It looked like shit. I'd play HL1 for the fifteenth time over this anytime. Or Jdoom. I second that that it's gonna get the doom3 reception or worse.

Saxon1974

Prophet
sportforredneck said:
Is it wrong that the game kind of makes me sick with it's glorification of violence? Especially in the new trailer they released. Headshots and violence galore. Am I just a pussy or has popular culture almost reached the bottom of the cesspool?

I definitely agree that is it super overblown. Looks like pretty much everyone you shoot comes apart of body parts and gore splatters.

This happened some in Fallout 1 and 2, but not nearly as excessively as this looks. See if you do it too much it gets old I think.

Just leads me to believe its definitely being targeted to kids for sure.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
I definitely agree that is it super overblown. Looks like pretty much everyone you shoot comes apart of body parts and gore splatters.

This happened some in Fallout 1 and 2, but not nearly as excessively as this looks. See if you do it too much it gets old I think.

He had the "bloody mess" trait in the demo:

Bloody Mess is a Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics trait.

By some strange twist of fate, people around you die violently. You always see the worst way a person can die.

This trait does not alter gameplay other than the fact that you get to see the violent death animations more often. However, it does have an effect on the ending of Fallout.

DiverNB

Liturgist
To be honest, if you took the VATS system out of context, and imagine all combat taking place like that, I think it could be somewhat doable.

But Ibots? What the fuck? And the combat, the FPS combat, in general, looks boring as fuck.

MasPingon

Arcane
It's looking better then I though, I'm not impressed tho. This shit doesn't have FO atmosphere at all, all those handymans and falloutboy pictures won't change it. Besides Stalkers apocaliptic visuals were so much better, FO3 is looking just like generic sci-fi shooter. Fuck me, I want to se something besides shooting zombies

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, but the robot itself is pretty good - very Falloutish. The new Mr. Handy looks good too.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Ausir said:
Yeah, but the robot itself is pretty good - very Falloutish. The new Mr. Handy looks good too.

Doesn't seem very practical or useful to anyone, doesn't really seem to fit all that well to me, I could see terror squads from the enclave.

Do you have pics of the new Mr. Handy?

elander_

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Also it's good to know that Vats can be used for grenades as well.

Grenades are operated as if it where bullets. The point of using grenades is to hit enemies that are hidden behind a wall or cover and cannot be hit directly. You throw a grenade and it bounces on walls or drops behind the enemy. Using grenades this way defies its purpose. If your enemy is view it's much more economically to shoot him. If your objective is to hit multiple enemies and they are in range use a shotgun or spray them with submachine gun. Is there even a point in targeting the head, an arm or someones chest when you use a grenade?

toroid

Arcane
Todd the Genius said:
These guys are tough, so I'm gonna switch to.... the fatman, which is a mini-nukular-bomb catapult.

Oh god he actually said nukular.

Jabbapop

Scholar
lol lol you can play this game any way you please: stealthy, fast action, snipery... as long as you shoot everyone you see!!!! aaaaH!

to be fair, the aim of this video seemed to be showing off the combat. but i mean, the sniper rifle, the shotgun, the grenade, the rocket launcher. all typical fps fare. nothing really interesting here. i don't see any kind of satirical irony when the fatboy personal nuculear launcher (every kid wants one of these under their christmas tree!) is basically the rocket launcher with a different name and utilized in exactly the same manner.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Zakhal said:
Saxon1974 said:

He had the "bloody mess" trait in the demo:

Bloody Mess is a Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics trait.

By some strange twist of fate, people around you die violently. You always see the worst way a person can die.

This trait does not alter gameplay other than the fact that you get to see the violent death animations more often. However, it does have an effect on the ending of Fallout.

Well yes good point. Hopefully this is just to make the demo look more fun and the whole game is not like this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was watching G4TV and they just had and interview with Todd, and he showed a gun that shoots junk that you have on hand. He was shooting at a raider with teddy bears. Finally the raider took enough damage... and EXPLODED in a bloody mess!

E P I C

DangerousDan

Novice
The last shot of the extended trailer is great. Dogmeat and the Vault Dweller (dare I call him that?) was nice. Everything else was decidedly mediocre. Even the television segment failed to capture the setting with the same vitality that the previous games did. They did not feel like they'd emanated from a 'World Fair' future. They felt too clean cut, too contemporary. As if it was an artist from the 21st centaury giving that 50s look a shot, without a real understanding of it. The wasteland itself looked like an odd mélange of comic book Super Mutants, and an aesthetic for the surrounds that whilst not bad in itself, failed to capture the setting with the same power as, say, the first time you enter the Hub. It's really sad that Troika couldn't pick up the third game.

I am underwhelmed, and somewhat lost for words.

flabbyjack

Arcane
sabishii said:
"Oh check this out the game lets me hack this turret to disable it but I'll just shoot at it with my laser rifle so you don't get to see that aspect of gameplay!"
Probably not implemented yet, otherwise they would have shown it off.

sportforredneck said:
Even the one Ghostbusters game where everything is spelled wrong would be better.
As seen here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCO35b47wUQ

Altogether, I don't give a damn what gameplay is like as long as it's fun. HERETIC HERETIC! Yeah whatever. FO3 is shaping up to be above par for RPGs now that the second Golden Age is over. When did the second Golden Age end, anyway? Morrowind? BGII?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom