Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information First Wasteland 2 Enemy Portrait Revealed

EG

Nullified
It does look fine . . . in a lolzy sense.

That's probably what we should expect, too.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The art is pretty cool, but I also find it a bit sterile. Maybe too many photoshop filters or something, can't really tell because I don't know shit about these things. The doggie itself looks fine, I just wish I'd see an original hand-drawn version of it.

zeitgeist

Magister
I just wish I'd see an original hand-drawn version of it.
What makes you think there is one? This is the standard conceptart.org school of painting. You either construct buildings and other objects in 3D and arrange them together (in case of matte), or you GIS a bunch of related images, and deform/arrange them to use them as the bottom layers instead. Or a combination of both. Then you directly paint over them with a tablet. Typically any "hand-drawn sketches" are only produced later on, if someone specifically asks.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So all this time and all they came up with - one low-res bloom-filled screenshot and a crappy portrait?

With hardworking InXile doing such a great job those millions look like an effective investment

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
So all this time and all they came up with - one low-res bloom-filled screenshot and a crappy portrait?

Hey, buddy. Remember? You don't care. You're above this. It's ok. You can go back to whatever transcendent activity you were busy with.

I love painted character and enemy portraits in games. Adds so much character to them.

Anyway everything even remotely related to this project is going to get so incredibly over-analysed that you'd hope the people working on this team have the will to avoid letting it affect their work. Probably going to be a bit of a soul crushing experience for them.

They probably shouldn't have started out with some concept art that's based heavily on a very popular photo all over the internet though. Anyway ignore Black cat above, you have hundreds of these to complete so don't spend too much time worrying about any single piece.

Coffee break is over. Back to it kids

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No?

Hello Haba Knyllarman,

This email confirms that you have donated $255.00 USD to B. W. (donate@sorcerers.net) using PayPal.
The exchange rate for this purchase is 1 Euro = 1.26218U.S. DollarsThis credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *DONATE".

Donation Details
Confirmation number: XXXXXXXXTN0958150
Donation amount: $255.00 USD
Total: $255.00 USD
Purpose: Donations for RPG Codex
Contributor: Haba Knyllarman

EG

Nullified
I find it hilarious to see incompetent "artist" that try to hide their fundamental ineptness with texture and shitty detail.

I mean just look at this shit "mutant dog".
The fucker whom Inxile is paying was too lazy to even barely check dog anatomy. Not only that, it means, he never ever did dog anatomy before in his life... As a "professional" artist.
That neck, those shoulders, those fucking legs...
Sometimes drawn pictures appear to be unrealistic while they actually stem from photos but this case is so fucked up, I double dare you to place a real dog to even remotely look like that.
Considering that a drawn picture should "read" to a viewer, the "but-the-ref-photo-looks-like-this" defense is not even working!

Look how he failed at conveying foreshortening on the jaw, nose region. I mean, it can be hard to get on the first try... for me...
He must have been either laughably incompetent or even more ridiculously lazy.

Look how lighting is all over the place. Is it ambient with a peak from behind? Whats with the highlights on the nose? Has he a small cloud directly over his head?! Gee...

Good artists create contrasts, points of interest.
Not muddy everything into some ugly mess without any! edge control or structure. And then top it of with superficial detail.

Uh. Uh. Lets talk concept/design. What is a mutated dog in that universe? Why does his jaw look like it would snap under a 10 kg load? Where are his pupils?

You know what's even more funny?
Incompetent people love this garbage.
As you were. You know who you are.

You mean none of that was the intent of the artist?

Well now I am enraged!

:mob:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Two more artworks like this and I'm gonna lose my faith in the project.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I find it hilarious to see incompetent "artist" that try to hide their fundamental ineptness with texture and shitty detail.

The fucker whom Inxile is paying was too lazy to even barely check dog anatomy. Not only that, it means, he never ever did dog anatomy before in his life... As a "professional" artist.
Sometimes drawn pictures appear to be unrealistic while they actually stem from photos but this case is so fucked up, I double dare you to place a real dog to even remotely look like that.
Considering that a drawn picture should "read" to a viewer, the "but-the-ref-photo-looks-like-this" defense is not even working!

Look how he failed at conveying foreshortening on the jaw, nose region. I mean, it can be hard to get on the first try... for me...

Look how lighting is all over the place. Is it ambient with a peak from behind? Whats with the highlights on the nose? Has he a small cloud directly over his head?! Gee...

Not muddy everything into some ugly mess without any! edge control or structure. And then top it of with superficial detail.

Uh. Uh. Lets talk concept/design. What is a mutated dog in that universe? Why does his jaw look like it would snap under a 10 kg load? Where are his pupils?

So, you're a pro artist? Gee, I envy you your knowledge.

Bulba

Learned
B

blablablablablablablablablabla

meh

Educated
The art is pretty cool, but I also find it a bit sterile. Maybe too many photoshop filters or something, can't really tell because I don't know shit about these things. The doggie itself looks fine, I just wish I'd see an original hand-drawn version of it.
I feel the same way, something's not right.

visions

Arcane
The dog's face is too humanoid. Don't really give much of a fuck though, it's just a portrait, builds some atmosphere and gives a general idea of how things in the game are supposed to look like.

Game art (p&p/wargame/computer game/card game/whatever) is usually anatomically sloppy and the positions are too stiff, it would be naive to expect anything more than getting an idea of how shit's supposed to look across. As long as things do not look eyeburningly godawful ( illustrations in D&D 3.5 rulebooks), I'm not too bothered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom