Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed HP vs HP Increases every level

Discussion in 'Van Buren: A Fallout Adventure' started by The Brazilian Slaughter, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Fixed HP or Increasing HP?

1. Fixed HP

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Increasing HP

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Slowly Increasing HP

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Something else

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Because they are (c)RPGs and therefore rife with derpy cargo cult design.

As for the formula, maybe make STR confer some DR to some damage types (to account for them having to penetrate more tissue) and END affect HPs themselves?

This would be nice as it would differentiate - for example high END character would be more likely to recover from crit, electricity or poison than a character with overall equivalent toughness but conferred mostly by STR.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Or perk like Tough Old Bird, ensure at least one HP remain, and normal condition despite severe wounds.

^ Top  
  3. JA2 had slowly increasing HP. It worked well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Growing HP is realistic, because changes in organisms of combat veterans make them literally harder to kill than rookies. The problem with cRPGs is that they have too much growth. So, HP growth should be capped at some point.
    Besides that there's a problem of critical hits which are often too random and too weak.

^ Top  
  5. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    It's called muscle tissue and it's why HP is based on Strength.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Yeah. I do remember that their HP are not too outrageous.

^ Top  
  7. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Just muscle tissue? Could be also changes in how organism reacts to wounds.

^ Top  
  8. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I've been speaking with the dev team about it, and the decision ins't entirely set in stone, but so far we're going to go with optional Fixed HP mode using this formula:

This the human/general critter formula, mind. It was thought in a way that allows the normal player to make some mistakes before being destroyed, assuming he's on a area he can take with his current level and gear. I'm still unsure how we're going to do Super Mutants and other absurdly beefy beings (Centaurs, Deathclaw-like monsters, etc) - I'm still undecided between changing the formula for them or just going with beyond 10 SPECIAL stats. Robots will rely on a mix of high DT/DR and high HP, but mostly armor.

Aside from ST/EN, HP can be raised with perks, cybernetics and drugs.

^ Top  
  9. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Have you considered messing with crit tables and weapon damages? In my Fo1 mod, I changed critical hits in following ways:
    1. Head crits start with 4x damage with damage increasing every two damage table entries up to 6x. Head crit assumes braincase was hit.
    2. Arm crits starting at 1x and ending at 1,5x. (2x on the final entry)
    3. Torso crits starting with 3x and ending with 6x. (torso crit assumes vitals were hit)
    4. Leg crits starting at 1x and ending at 1,5x. (2x on the final entry)
    5. Eyes hit starting with 3x and ending with 6x.

^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Nice crit tables. Here's the originals for comparison:
    http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_hit_tables

(I think the originals seem more hardcore than yours on some factors, interesting...)

Didn't get to those yet, but there's still a lot of stuff that's only in my head for now but yeah we're prolly gonna mess with the crit tables. There's also armor bypasses, the original Fallouts had total armor bypass only (ever wonder why you were getting killed by one burst from those turrets in the Oil Rig even through their bullets were bouncing off 99% of their attacks? Armor bypass). We are planning to do partial armor bypasses instead - Ashes of Phoenix already has them.

Did you change to-hit chances in your mod as well? FO combat got silly very quickly with how many eyeshots the player could do with any weapon skill above 120%. Aimed shots really need to get harder to hit, badly. I would dare say the game really got silly on how... easy it was to hit someone with a firearm, once you had, say 130% Small Guns, a decent gun and good PE you could hit anything, anyone, anywhere with 95% chance. Yes, even with burst weapons. So the eye-crit fest started.

As a rule, I agree with Josh Sawyer when he said we need more limb shots, harder to-hit eye and head crits and partial armor bypasses instead of total.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.