Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Flagship Studios Presents: Hellgate London

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Exitium said:
... closer to the Whirlwind Barbarian Diablo 2 experience.

Either way, it's all good.

I agree. What's to complain about, eh? :lol:
Bring. It. On.

(I saw this in an advert cmapaign. Must be worth something if some dumb fucks are willing to spend money on it. Right? :lol: )

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I base my opinion on the fact that they say there won't be any hit boxes so your l33t counterstrike skills won't matter. I just don't see them making the game a first person shooter where you have to pound at the 3 monsters on the screen 20 times each for them to die a la Deus Ex: Invisible War. Plus the whole randomized dungeon thing - that just doesn't work in a aiming l33t skill-based FPS.

Like I said, the whole "swarms of monsters" in Doom is a much, much more likely game than anything else. You've got your swarms of monsters, you've got your chaingun toting templar firing away at them, and you've got your crazy dual wielding swordsman pulling a whirlwind on the nasty hordes. It works with the whole randomized dungeon thing perfectly.

xemous

Arcane
Sif you'll have swarms of monsters, not if they want half decent graphics.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Guild Wars has swarms of monsters, and the graphics are more than 'half decent'. Beats the hell out of World of Warcraft any day of the week, too.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Painkiller had some pretty Doom 3-like areas, but it definitely didn't lag in spite of the swarms of high detailed monsters. There's no indication that they'll be using the crappy plastic bumpmapping Doom 3 had or the real time shadow projection, so why jump to the conclusion that they'll be doing the same thing? After all, randomized dungeons really don't work with Doom 3's level of architectural detail.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That doesn't look bad at all, though the resolution is only at 800x600 and the details are set to medium. Painkiller is beautiful.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I second Saints' Meh.

Ex is setting himself up for the mother of all flips on this one, scientists are going to be able to pick it up on seismograms...

Neverwhere

Novice
Alright, so we have a "Reign of Fire" setting -dragons +demons? Sounds decent, at least it beats the crap out of another "Jack the Ripper" Victorian-style London setting. It would be nice if you could lock the camera in the isometric perspective, however - Doom with RPG elements sounds a bit too much like Heretic.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Please don't derail the thread with your idiotic remarks.

Neverwhere:
Heretic didn't have any RPG elements. It was a straight up shooter.

Fez

Erudite
Shagnak said:
i agree buddy, Wheres the lube? :cool: .

In the bedside cabinet as always, honey.

Painkiller's problems were not the graphics.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
Please don't derail the thread with your idiotic remarks.

Don't derail it with your replies either.

I'm curious if the modern approach will actually be well thought out. As kirbydorf mentioned, I hope it won't derail at some point.

Speaking of which, I definetely need to start reading Neverwhere. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't had the time to start.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Role-Player said:
I'm curious if the modern approach will actually be well thought out. As kirbydorf mentioned, I hope it won't derail at some point.
Well if anything, Bill Roper and gang were always good at keeping track of their setting in Diablo and Diablo 2, and Chris Metzen (Who's still at Blizzard) had nothing to do with any it, not that he's good with artistic/setting consistency looking at how he managed to fuck up World of Warcraft's consistency by completely renaming Azeroth to "The Eastern Kingdoms" and renaming the whole damn planet to Azeroth. Azeroth, as far as I know, was always one of the kingdoms in Warcraft, like Lordaeron. Not to mention the gnomes... where the fuck did they come form?

Speaking of which, I definetely need to start reading Neverwhere. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't had the time to start.
Oh, you should. I'm in one of the early chapters and it's already pretty good. The characters are fantastic so far, as is the setting.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yea, but I don't recall gnomes ever being equipped in armor running headlong into battle with their swords drawn.

Fez

Erudite
Maybe someone broke one too many lawn ornaments?

Shevek

Arcane
The pace of the combat is not really what I am alluding to rather than the difference in navigatiing the battlefield and in skill usage between games with 3/4 perspective point and click driven interfaces and those which are played from the 1st/3rd person perspective.

Neverwhere

Novice
Exitium said:
Neverwhere:
Heretic didn't have any RPG elements. It was a straight up shooter.

Evidently, I did not get the game right, but at least the series. Hexen is the game with (albeit basic) RPG elements. Several character classes to choose from (that differ as regards their preference for weapons or magic), inventory system. Basic, but Diablo did not give you much more in terms of RPG elements. Nor did Dungeon Siege, for that matter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom