Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Flagship Studios Presents: Hellgate London

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Hexen was as much as an RPG as Doom, but with classes. Diablo gave you skill trees, great atmosphere, stats, and uber-phat loot. Not that that's saying what an RPG is supposed to be, I'm just stating that it's more rpg-ish than Hexen.

xemous

Arcane
Exitium said:
Yea, but I don't recall gnomes ever being equipped in armor running headlong into battle with their swords drawn.

Thats the about the only thing worth doing in wow, making a lvl 60 gnome warrior.

Neverwhere

Novice
Naked_Lunch said:
Hexen was as much as an RPG as Doom, but with classes. Diablo gave you skill trees, great atmosphere, stats, and uber-phat loot. Not that that's saying what an RPG is supposed to be, I'm just stating that it's more rpg-ish than Hexen.

If I recall, skill trees were only introduced in Diablo II. Be that as it were, I am not disputing that Hexen was a shooter, whereas Diablo was an ARPG. However, if one changed Diablo's perspective to first-person...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If one changed Diablo's perspective to first person it would still have more depth than Hexen. While Hexen had classes, their only difference, besides cosmetics, was that they used different weapons. Diablo had skill points, and 3 distinctive classes that were a lot differently from each other, and on top of that, they also had spells which they could learn from books, and equipment to put in their inventory. Hexen didn't have any of that.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Tiscali.cz apparently has put up three mini-scans which show in-game scenes. Well, I would love to see it in motion. Can't really judge it already by this stuff.

EDIT: another info-wrap with is up at groovgames. Hmm, Hellgate Las Vegas, Hellgate Rome... sounds weird.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There's a lack of a reticle in those mini-screenshots, too. I don't know if that's because the screenshots are too small or if the game won't be "omg l33t CS skillz" based, therefore it doesn't need an aiming reticle.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Can't ell much about textures etc (due to the rather ordinary scanning).
But I think the graphics (well, mainly graphical design) look fucking flash.

Edit for youngsters: they look "sick" (at least I think they do... :?: )

Surlent

Liturgist
Exitium said:
If one changed Diablo's perspective to first person it would still have more depth than Hexen. While Hexen had classes, their only difference, besides cosmetics, was that they used different weapons. Diablo had skill points, and 3 distinctive classes that were a lot differently from each other, and on top of that, they also had spells which they could learn from books, and equipment to put in their inventory. Hexen didn't have any of that.
yeah, basically that. They had different character speed and hitpoints. OR at leat in Korax mod.http://www.korax-heritage.com/kmod/
In Diablo classes really were different from each other. In Hexen it was mostly gameplay variety. Yey both Heretic and Hexen were pioneers for new age to come. Stealth gameplay was already planned in Hexen2. it just didn't work well. First Thief perfected that idea for example.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The graphics, especially the models and the artistic detail (check out those zombies tearing something up) look especially sick. It's hard to judge the textures based on a bunch of 8bit scans.

Kokeeno

Novice
It's also unfair to judge the game's graphics based on an alpha build. Once the core of the game is there, then the company will go back and polish the looks. They're still early in development.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Unfreakingbelievable. I still can't believe so many people are toadying when ABSOULTELY NOTHING INNOVATIVE has been revealed about this game, and several features ARE EXPLICITLY REVEALED TO BE CLONED from other games like Diablo, except the cooler setting.

Ridiculous. Support the game when Roper actually details some truly features worth getting exited about.

Why is the once-mighty Codex reduced to gibbering sequel-whoring purely on the strength of a brand name? Shameful.

Next.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So?

Why does everything have to be 'innovative'? When was the last time you played a good Diablo-like game anyway? I for one am fucking fed up with all these so-called 'innovative' real time strategy games that play only slightly different than Warcraft 2 did a decade ago.

Can't I just get a good action RPG, for once?

Edit: You know, it's not like Geneforge or Arcanum brought any innovations to the RPG genre, either. Fallout already did that years ago.

Edit 2: Oh wow, that Fable, INNOVATION!!! You can kick chickens and grow horns! INNOVATION!!! :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Exactly! :lol:

If there's anyone who can deliver that Diablo/D2 experience, it's the guys who actually made Diablo/D2. I'm sticking with this one instead of going with some 3rd rate Diablo clone bullshit ripoff like Dim Wit Bradley's Dungeon Lords.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
PennyAnte said:
Unfreakingbelievable. I still can't believe so many people are toadying when ABSOULTELY NOTHING INNOVATIVE has been revealed about this game, and several features ARE EXPLICITLY REVEALED TO BE CLONED from other games like Diablo, except the cooler setting.

I just don't know about the whole first/third person action combat thing. It just doesn't seem that great to me. I actually liked the combat in Bloodlines, but it's the only first/third person action combat CRPG to date where that's happenned. Even though most people liked Gothic, I didn't and the main reason was the combat in that game.

I was looking more forward to it when I thought it would be more like Diablo or Diablo 2, an isometric action rogue-like. The first/third person bit put a huge damper on any enthusiasm I had for the game.

Araanor

Liturgist
The first-person bit puts me off as well. To date I haven't played a first-person RPG-like where I thought the perspective made the game better.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Eh. As I said, the FP view doesn't really bother me. I'm not jumping on the OMGIWANTTIHSNOW!!! bandwagon however, since the Diablo style of RPGs just don't cut it for me now. I want more meat with my potatoes when it comes to RPGs these days. Yay. Another action RPG. Whoopee shit. Not something to do from an FP perspective if you ask me. Bloodlines pulled it off okay, but it had alot of meat to it as far as interaction and stuff went. If this is just going to be an FP version of Diablo, then I see nothing to get hard over.

Fez

Erudite
Where's the bandwagon? A handful of people have said the game looks like it might be good. It's hardly sycophantic ass licking.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I don't know about you people, but several of those scans just look like concept art. I'm not saying releasing concept art is a bad thing, just that its not a very good indicator of terminal graphic quality.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, most of them are concept art, or at least concept renders. It's not good to base one's opinion of the game's graphics on pre-alpha stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom