Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Elder Scrolls Online

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date
For anyone interested currently it's the cheapest it's ever been for the amount of content (including Morrowind expansion, latest expansion Elseweyr isn't on sale) on the summer sale.

Does ESO require a monthly fee? And does it include micro-transactions? If so, then the game should be banished to the lower depths of Hell, below The Circle of Shit
No monthly fee. It's buy to play. But there are microtransactions. All though I haven't played it in a long time. But there was microtransactions. Might not be so now. But given that it's Bethesda I doubt the microtransactions are gone

buy to play but you can subscribe for additional benefits.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crowns

Codex Year of the Donut
The gameplay is way better than in any mainline TES game, but it's too easy. MMOs are afraid to challenge players these days and so playing them feels hollow after the initial glamour is gone.
It gets a lot of shit for being an MMO but it's actually pretty decent as a standalone TES title.
I'd probably still play it if there was a way to play open world content at a higher difficulty

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Norfleet

If the animation canceling was removed there would be literally zero player skill involved in the combat, and already today the game is filled with shitters who think they are "good" when 90% of damage is in stats.
Animation-lock shouldn't even be a THING in games, really. I can count the grand total of ZERO times I have ever found myself locked in an animation that I had to complete before I could react to something else in real life. I've never, ever, been in a fight, swinging my fist and then noticed an incoming fist and thought, "I need to finish my fist-swinging animation before moving my head so I don't eat a fist". If I'm doing something and something more important comes up, I just stop doing that previous thing.

Deleted Member 16721

There is one glaring flaw that's killing my enjoyment. It's too easy. The level scaling kills it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think it is more fun in the lower levels because you are weaker. Once you start getting phat loots, you seem to go ahead of the curve, so it becomes too easy. I really hate attacking a mob from a distance and it dies before it even reaches me, yet it is becoming normal in games now. Rift would be one of my favorite games ever, if it was just tuned differently. And it was in beta and even at release. But as the player numbers dropped, they made the game easier and easier, and I end up spamming my 12344 routine on same level enemies and they die at my feet before even landing their first hit. Extreme decline.

ADL

Prophet
The game would become incline again if they did an opt-in veteran overworld mode where all zones became Adventure Zones (like Craglorn in the early days) and stopped the power creep that came along with the Champion Point system. They have to find more interesting ways to reward veteran level players without it being flat resource, armor and damage modifiers because that fundamentally goes against the point of vertical progression.

Guild Wars 2 does this well. I can use the same character that hit the level cap six years ago and hop into a raiding group and be completely viable. Just because I've played for a thousand hours doesn't mean I'm playing in godmode one shotting everything including elite enemies. Copying Guild Wars 2's mastery progression and having ESO's gear system would be the best of both worlds and it'd fix the game for veteran players overnight.

Mud'

Scholar
If a game is too easy you don't generally die 10 times in the first sub-20 hours.

Only if you are bad playing games, outside of PVP i reached level 36 and level 40 in PC/PS4 and died only around 5 times in world bosses that i tried to solo, the game is ridiculously easy when it comes down to the overworld stuff and quests, the only content that is "challenging" is the dungeon stuff or the end-game that takes a while to get there if you are solo and questing.

Deleted Member 16721

It's funny people are rating my original post Decline. The game is actually great Incline if you play it and see for yourself. It's MMO-ness does not detract one bit from it, it actually enhances it (dungeons with multiple party members, PvP in Cyrodiil if you so choose.) The game is excellent even if it is a bit easy. I wish there was an option to opt out of Tamriel Unlimited and back into the original I played in beta. The game was much more challenging then with higher level content requiring skill and strategy to beat. The level scaling is kind of Oblivion-esque now, everything takes the same amount of hits to kill and only boss monsters really pose a threat.

Swigen

Arbiter
Are there slutty outfits like in Final Fantasy 14?

mPhpB0t.jpg

Mud'

Scholar
It's MMO-ness does not detract one bit from it, it actually enhances it (dungeons with multiple party members, PvP in Cyrodiil if you so choose.)

I disagree with this, i had multiple times where i was clearing a quest in X area (forest, desert in the middle of bum fucking nowhere, swamp) and while taking my sweet ass time looting and managing my inventory suddenly i am begin attacked by the same mobs i killed earlier.

Dungeons are way, way worse, the moment you think you cleared one or you need to head back for X thing and you see another player, you know for a fact that the fucking mobs respawned, even if they are easy to kill i absolutely hate seeing a mob respawning because a damn player joined the dungeon while i was clearing it.

ADL

Prophet
I'd rather play an Elder Scrolls game with depth than one without regardless of "chosen one" #78292010198 bullshit breaking muh immersion. It sucks sometimes but if you told me I had to play Skyrim or The Elder Scrolls Online at gunpoint for a thousand hours, I'd tell you the gun is unnecessary for the latter.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's funny people are rating my original post Decline. The game is actually great Incline if you play it and see for yourself. It's MMO-ness does not detract one bit from it, it actually enhances it (dungeons with multiple party members, PvP in Cyrodiil if you so choose.) The game is excellent even if it is a bit easy. I wish there was an option to opt out of Tamriel Unlimited and back into the original I played in beta. The game was much more challenging then with higher level content requiring skill and strategy to beat. The level scaling is kind of Oblivion-esque now, everything takes the same amount of hits to kill and only boss monsters really pose a threat.
In ESO its either absurdly easy or absurdly hard there's no middle ground, try vet content, now that's challenging especially the newest dungeons.

Deleted Member 16721

I disagree with this, i had multiple times where i was clearing a quest in X area (forest, desert in the middle of bum fucking nowhere, swamp) and while taking my sweet ass time looting and managing my inventory suddenly i am begin attacked by the same mobs i killed earlier.

Dungeons are way, way worse, the moment you think you cleared one or you need to head back for X thing and you see another player, you know for a fact that the fucking mobs respawned, even if they are easy to kill i absolutely hate seeing a mob respawning because a damn player joined the dungeon while i was clearing it.

I forgot about respawning monsters honestly, but yeah, that's kind of a pain sometimes. But it's not gamebreaking nor is it really a big deal, especially when said monsters die quickly. Just more XP and loot for me *shrug*.

Doktor Best

Arcane
It gets a lot of shit for being an MMO but it's actually pretty decent as a standalone TES title.
I'd probably still play it if there was a way to play open world content at a higher difficulty

Isnt ESO completely levelscaled? Like not even like in Skyrim, but more like Oblivion - you level up -> enemies level up?

How on earth could any decent gameplay exist in such a system?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Isnt ESO completely levelscaled? Like not even like in Skyrim, but more like Oblivion - you level up -> enemies level up?

It wasn't to begin with, they did the level scaling as an expansion years later. People like it because all it really does is mean you have 10000x more content. So say you are level 15 and you reach a fork in the road and you take a left up through a valley, and you find a village with some quests. Before level scaling you could get there and find that it was all made for level 8's so you would have to travel all the way back to the fork in the road and take a different direction and hope it leads to somewhere level appropriate. With level scaling, everywhere you go is perfect for your level. Just head in any direction and anywhere you choose to stop and get quests or kill people, will be suitable. There is less running around looking for something to do, and gaining levels doesn't instantly make all lower level content obsolete.

And a few mobs don't scale so you can still 1 shot a passing mudcrab or whatever to feel that sense of progression, sorta. There are downsides of course, like you don't get the fun of taking on content a few levels higher for the extra challenge and fun. And you don't get a feeling that the world is consistent because you are level 50 doing chores in a primitive village surrounded by newbies doing the same quests. It kills a lot of the sense of progression though, and you don't get the fun of reaching a high level area with only a few other l33t players around and feel like you really achieved something and took your character on an epic journey from bashing wasps at level 1 to fighting huge drakes at level 50.

Overall I would prefer a game to not have level scaling but it isn't really terrible and it suits this casual sort of game.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

There's still progression, it's just not tied to your level. You have hundreds of skillpoints to unlock, champion points to gain, and gear to acquire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom