Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Follow up on Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, also I remenber Josh wanted to put the Monte Cook ranger and WotC saying no ... it also was to be a 2nd/3rd hybrid and then became full 3rd ed.

Jora

Arcane
Originally they were just planning to implement all kinds of strange kits like landsnecht. (how did I remember that word?)

gromit

Arcane
Drakron said:
it also was to be a 2nd/3rd hybrid and then became full 3rd ed.

Maybe my memory's just foggy, but didn't it still retain a few things here and there like weapon speed, casting time, and maybe a couple of others that still "fit" in real-time?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sammael said:
Things got out of hand when they started implementing 3E rules. Which, Saint, meant that a huge chunk of the engine had to be re-written, considering that idiot Bioware programmers hard-coded most of the game rules instead of making game logic and engine separate. It is my personal belief, however, that an IWD2 without 3E rules would have sold significantly worse. 3E rules added more to the game than, say, the entire Ice Palace level.

A lot of the 3E rules were just part of the character packages hacked in to work like prestige classes did in previous games. A lot of the cooler features of 3E were dropped because the Infinity Engine sucks.

All in all, IWD2 with the infinity engine was a horrible idea all around, but they still had way more time than they did with IWD. You can say that JE had 24 hours to come up with a story, and that's fine. That's the initial work on the story. Now, while the programmers were hacking away at the 3E stuff, that gave the designers more and more time to flesh out the story as well as come up with interesting areas and concepts for those areas. Instead, you get things like Fell Woods or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom