Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read For I have tasted the fruit

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
Aosdogd.png

In the dark something goes *POP*.
The light turns on, the arc flashes in the darkness and three figures fall out of it.

EvHh0A7.png
[baaarf!]
i4E3yzx.png
We’ve made it!
DK9YWrh.png
Stop! Making! Noise! My head! [baaarf]
i4E3yzx.png
Oh, enough of it, you two! We’ve made it, Prokhor! Your plan worked!
i4E3yzx.png
Isn’t it?
DK9YWrh.png
My head! Medic!
i4E3yzx.png
Prokhor?
EvHh0A7.png
[baaarf!]
DK9YWrh.png
Somebody!
i4E3yzx.png
Oh, come on. Here, have this. [Morgan hits Zakharov in the hip with a painkiller syringe] Better?
DK9YWrh.png
It’s better... [lies back]
i4E3yzx.png
No, no, no, no. It’s not! Don’t lose it! We have a problem!
EvHh0A7.png
[baaarf!]
DK9YWrh.png
He’ll be alright.
EvHh0A7.png
[baa-baaarf]
i4E3yzx.png
It’s not about him, Prokhor. Something’s not right.

Zakharov opens his eyes.
kPYJpdz.png

DK9YWrh.png
Doesn’t look like my base.
i4E3yzx.png
Exactly.
DK9YWrh.png
Doesn’t look like Eurytion.
i4E3yzx.png
Are you sure?
EvHh0A7.png
[baaarf]
DK9YWrh.png
I see plants. There shouldn’t be any.
i4E3yzx.png
Are you sure?!
DK9YWrh.png
First of all... oh, my head... First of all, the planet existed in hellish conditions for the last several billions years, so no complex life should be possible. Secondly, the gravity here is weak, but not 0.3g of Eurytion. And lastly, I had a goddamn base preestablished! Not. A cave.
i4E3yzx.png
We’re on the wrong planet?
DK9YWrh.png
Yes.
i4E3yzx.png
Not Chiron as well?
DK9YWrh.png
No. [looks around]
i4E3yzx.png
Not... Nessus?
DK9YWrh.png
No.

Zakharov stands up and comes to the faintly glowing gate. Silence comes.
That is, if one disregards quiet humming of the gate, interrupted by another round of vomiting.

DK9YWrh.png
Drat.
i4E3yzx.png
What?
DK9YWrh.png
It’s broken. My linker can’t get meaningful data out of it.
i4E3yzx.png
What?!
DK9YWrh.png
Let me think. [lies down]
i4E3yzx.png

i4E3yzx.png
So we’re not where we had to go.
EvHh0A7.png
[baarf]
i4E3yzx.png
...And not with the ones we should have gone with!
i4E3yzx.png

i4E3yzx.png
Your goddamn contraptions failed again!
DK9YWrh.png
You could’ve stayed to watch the transcendence.
i4E3yzx.png
God fucking damn it, Prokhor!
EvHh0A7.png
[barf]

Zakharov rummages through the boxes near the gate, gets some device out of it and starts waving it around.
i4E3yzx.png
What’s that?
DK9YWrh.png
A multimodal scanner. Wait a bit, will you? And check Sheng.
i4E3yzx.png
He’ll be alright.
DK9YWrh.png
You sure?
EvHh0A7.png
I’m good.
DK9YWrh.png
If you say so.

The scanner keeps working.
KGgESTx.png

DK9YWrh.png
Так, хорошо. We’re definitely not on one of the larger bodies of Alpha Centauri A. Probably not on the ones around Hercules as well. Proxima is less certain, but...
i4E3yzx.png
Meaning?
DK9YWrh.png
I don’t know where we are.
i4E3yzx.png
Great.
DK9YWrh.png
We’re on some natural stellar body not that far from Chiron, if it helps.
EvHh0A7.png
Can we be near Sol?
DK9YWrh.png
Almost surely not. Psi gate shouldn’t reach that far. Something happened during the transfer and we’ve missed our target and went to some tertiary base. It might’ve been a side effect of the transcendence. It might have been a diversion.
EvHh0A7.png
Or a coup.
DK9YWrh.png
Yes, a coup... No.
EvHh0A7.png
Someone might’ve wanted to get rid of any of us.
i4E3yzx.png
Speak for yourself, my dear chairman!
DK9YWrh.png
Or a psi flow was interfered with. It’s practically impossible, but, theoretically speaking, there might be a possibility to recombine aleatory variables in the primordial flux to distort the probability space inferring...
i4E3yzx.png
More to the point, please.
DK9YWrh.png
Psi gate isn’t working properly. It receives some transmissions, but they seem even more chaotic than usual. Might be some interference from the transcendence or heliopause incapsulated quantum tides or...
i4E3yzx.png
To the point.
DK9YWrh.png
We can’t go back. We can’t send a distress signal. The gate still receives the flows, so we might be able to get visitors or some cargo that was supposed to follow us.
EvHh0A7.png
I say we mine the thing.
DK9YWrh.png
i4E3yzx.png

EvHh0A7.png
In case we get an undesirable cargo.
i4E3yzx.png
I think I preferred him barfing.
DK9YWrh.png
Yang, the gate has control panel. I can check a structure of incoming space-mass and accept or deny it.
EvHh0A7.png
The mining is not necessary then.
DK9YWrh.png
We’re still in trouble. It’s obviously one of reconnaissance bases we’ve established. The recon kit is limited but it’s here. However, I see no exit from this cave. Even if it caved in, we should’ve seen the exit. There’s none. Seismic sensor can’t lie. It means that recon team had likely met some danger and closed all entrances properly.
DK9YWrh.png
It also means that we have limited amount of food, water and, most importantly, oxygen.
i4E3yzx.png
What?!
DK9YWrh.png
But we have some empty volumes nearby. So we can dig there and check if something is left there from recon team.
i4E3yzx.png
And simultaneously looking for danger that team might’ve sealed off?
DK9YWrh.png
Yes.
i4E3yzx.png
Great!
EvHh0A7.png
We’ve no other choice, gentlemen. You can’t make the gate work, right?
DK9YWrh.png
Probably not. I need to check it more thoroughly, but it would take at least several days. We would suffocate by then. It’s a very small cave we have here.
EvHh0A7.png
Then we’ll dig and look for other sources of oxygen. Can we dig?
DK9YWrh.png
Yes, we have a dozen of multifabs. Handheld ones.
EvHh0A7.png
Let’s get started then. After all this time I don’t want to die in a mudhole.

Several hours of feverish digging later.

i4E3yzx.png
What’s the situation?
DK9YWrh.png
We have several tons of clear water in these two ponds. And we’ve released enough oxygen to last for a week, maybe more.
EvHh0A7.png
I’ve found a dozen muckroots.
i4E3yzx.png
Ugh.
EvHh0A7.png
And some fungus-derived liceplants.
i4E3yzx.png
And?
EvHh0A7.png
They’re edible.
i4E3yzx.png
Gentlemen, it’s a food for drones!
EvHh0A7.png
Eat all the crop and stock you can find, Nwabudike. I’m going to survive.
DK9YWrh.png
Speaking of survival, I suggest us saving nutrient bars as much as we can.
EvHh0A7.png
I concur. Unrottable food is precious.
DK9YWrh.png
I’ll lock the box then.
i4E3yzx.png
Aren’t you interested in my opinion?
EvHh0A7.png
We’ve just had a democratic voting, I think. And majority won.
i4E3yzx.png
Fucking commies.
EvHh0A7.png
What?
i4E3yzx.png
I say, I’ve established some primitive facilities. Sanitary block, crash space.
EvHh0A7.png
I’ve printed some pneumolocks. For protection.
DK9YWrh.png
i4E3yzx.png

EvHh0A7.png
There’re wild life forms in these caves.
i4E3yzx.png
These are shinebugs! In Morganworlds they’re bred for fun!
EvHh0A7.png
There’re no Morganworlds anymore. And there might be more dangerous critters out there.
DK9YWrh.png
All right. What else?
i4E3yzx.png
I’ve printed a bioprocessor. We’ll be able to make some gruel from local plants in case we won’t acquire more suitable food.
DK9YWrh.png
Great. We’ll need a power plant to recharge multifabs if something happens with the gate.
EvHh0A7.png
How? We have no power source I can think of.
i4E3yzx.png
I’ll think of something.
DK9YWrh.png
Good. Anything else we can do?
EvHh0A7.png
I saw some more roots in a far cave.
DK9YWrh.png
Let’s go. We’ll be back soon.

++++++++++

DK9YWrh.png
What’s this?
i4E3yzx.png
It’s the only power source we can make out of nothing.
kwZqNCF.png

EvHh0A7.png
How does it work?
DK9YWrh.png
Let me guess. Superlube?
i4E3yzx.png
Yes.
DK9YWrh.png
Great! Ingenious!
EvHh0A7.png
Excuse me?
i4E3yzx.png
When the wheel is accelerated it’ll slowly wear off a superlubricant between the layers, thus emitting heat. At the same time the wheel will convert this heat to power. Superlube is slick but dense. It’s very energy intensive.
EvHh0A7.png
But who will operate it?
i4E3yzx.png
My proposal is that we’ll be taking turns.
DK9YWrh.png
I think, the creator should give it a test run.
EvHh0A7.png
Definitely. I don’t want to put this precious contraption at risk. I’m not really accustomed to these things.
i4E3yzx.png
But!..
EvHh0A7.png
Majority vote, Nwabudike. We’ll take turns later, I promise.
EOgOUKq.png

EvHh0A7.png
DK9YWrh.png

i4E3yzx.png
What’re you two looking at?
EvHh0A7.png
It’s slightly amusing.
EvHh0A7.png
I was checking the battery charge.
DK9YWrh.png
I was thinking about connecting to this power plant of yours. I need some equipment to better monitor the gate and I need some power for it to work.
i4E3yzx.png
Be my guest, huff puff. But I’m surprised that you two’re unfamiliar with a treadmill.
DK9YWrh.png
I prefer body pills.
EvHh0A7.png
Me too. I remember those advertisements of yours on Morganvision, but I thought they’re just for show.
i4E3yzx.png
In the long run it pays to be healthy.
EvHh0A7.png
In the long. Run.

Day one over
i4E3yzx.png
Reminds me of the first days on the planet. I wasn’t alone then, of course. But just like here I had to wrangle my way through the administration and gather resources from almost nothing... These men, they’re definitely smarter than the mooks I had to deal with then. I’ll play dumb, then get them in my pocket!
EvHh0A7.png
It’s all over again. What was it, two centuries ago? I was weaker then.
DK9YWrh.png
It’s a precarious situation, indeed. But interesting.
DV0SAzs.png

Technical note
I’m going to do it mostly blind. I’ve played two games of ONI before. First base has died of overheating and secular stagnation. Second one failed due to freezing crops, lack of water and abundance of boredom. And while the game’s premise is ok, endless fiddling seems to kill all the interest for me.
Let’s see if it will change because of this crossover.

And, in case you’re interested, here’s the team.
ElUsVHT.png

I’ve wasted a quarter of an hour of my life rerolling them until I got something acceptable. Some things are still off (shirts and haircuts are wrong, I would’ve liked some other bios, etc.), but I’m not going to spend any more time on this retardation.

Last edited:

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
i4E3yzx.png
What’re you doing?
9CnqGFm.png

EvHh0A7.png
A greenhouse.
i4E3yzx.png
Why?
EvHh0A7.png
We need something to eat.
i4E3yzx.png
I think we should concentrate on getting out of here.
EvHh0A7.png
Zakharov’s already doing that. I intend to make a foundation for our survival.
i4E3yzx.png
There’s another option.
EvHh0A7.png
Namely?
i4E3yzx.png
We can dig up until we’ll get to the surface. Then we’ll decide what to do.
EvHh0A7.png
I’m not going to move anywhere from the power source, a food deposit and a relative security.
i4E3yzx.png
Zakharov took our food. We’re left with those... roots. And fungus.
EvHh0A7.png
And I’m going to make more of it.
i4E3yzx.png
Surely, you understand that it’s not a long-term solution.
EvHh0A7.png
Surely I do. But we need to consider all the other options in case our esteemed academician comes up with nothing.
i4E3yzx.png
Do you really intend to eat fungus?
EvHh0A7.png
I definitely hope so. This Gaian morph seems to have a very short livecycle. It would be good, on the other hand, if you’ve managed to help us with the other problem.
i4E3yzx.png
Oxygen?
EvHh0A7.png
Oxygen. I think I’ve sensed a possible opening in the leftmost cave.
i4E3yzx.png
Maybe you should do it? You seem to handle multifab digging mode better than we all.
EvHh0A7.png
Do you know how to organize a greenhouse?
i4E3yzx.png

i4E3yzx.png
I’ll get back soon.
EvHh0A7.png
Management.

Academician’s journal. T+3
For the last two days I’ve been analyzing the gate’s condition.
Psy matrix is intact, its functions nominal. I’ve connected to the gate’s processor from my linker. An internal repair protocols can’t find anything unusual, so either everything is working correctly, or someone creative had tampered with the gate.
I still can’t get a coherent signal from the outside. Usually the gate receives chaotic noospheric jumble with an occasional coherent thought. Now it’s only jumble. The gate’s battery keeps getting charge from subatomic space-time fluctuations, though, so I should be able to accept incoming signals normally. I do not dare to send a signal as something obviously went wrong out there and our activity might attract excessive attention.
I’ve also scanned our surroundings. Background radiation level is weak so we’re either on a large stellar body with a magnetosphere or very far from the local star. I can’t detect gravitational disturbances, but my instruments are crude, so that doesn’t mean anything. Seismic scanner has detected a complex underground composition of the soil around us, but, again, it proves nothing.
Alas, I must make a regrettable conclusion. I still don’t know where we’re. It don’t even know how deep we’re under the ground. We can always dig up, of course, until we get to the surface and it would have been the most obvious thing to do. But one thing troubles me.
There’s no serial number on the gate. No expedition markings. No log. No info whatsoever. So it’s likely that it’s an unauthorized gate with everything that entails.

i4E3yzx.png
How is it going?
EvHh0A7.png

i4E3yzx.png
I can’t break the wall.
EvHh0A7.png
Why?
i4E3yzx.png
I’ve ran a scan and there’s a small pocket of oxygen on top of a large pool of carbon dioxide on the other side. If I break the wall, CO2 will flush into our space.
ldjLh6b.png

EvHh0A7.png
There’s an entrance to the second water pool below that cave.
i4E3yzx.png
So?
EvHh0A7.png
Expand the entrance. Break the wall near the floor. CO2 is heavy, so it’ll sip into the pool below.
i4E3yzx.png
I see. Will do.
EvHh0A7.png
It’s a real wonder he’d managed to resist my assaults at all.

Academician’s journal. T+4
Still no progress with the gate.
Nwabudike had managed to pick the lock on the chest with nutrient bars and ate one of them. I gave his and Yang’s share to Yang for safekeeping. My stash is hidden under the Thing, because no one in their right mind would look for it there.

i4E3yzx.png
It’s been two days, Prokhor. Any success?
DK9YWrh.png
I have nothing to add to what I’ve already said. The gate is fully functional but we have no signal. At this moment we can safely assume that we’re cut from the external world for an unknown period of time.
EvHh0A7.png
Anything else?
DK9YWrh.png
I still don’t know where we are.
EvHh0A7.png
I did a scan of a surrounding area. We have a geothermal nearby.
Gtqbsew.png

i4E3yzx.png
So we can make a stable source of power.
EvHh0A7.png
We’d also get boiled rather sooner than later. The steam would dissipate through the microfissures in the ground slowly heating everything in the confined space.
i4E3yzx.png
Let me repeat my proposal then. We can’t use the gate and it’s dangerous to stay here. So we should dig straight to the surface.
DK9YWrh.png
I concur. Let's start with a total scan of the surroundings. Sheng, scan the top and everything around the vent. We’ll get the second seismoscanner and check the left side. Let’s see if we can find a safe way to the surface. Or, at least, a way to escape the heat.

Several hours later
EvHh0A7.png
The land near us looks promising – soft ground and another pool of water. There However, I used some resonance amplification techniques and managed to probe even further up.
vhADt8N.png

DK9YWrh.png
Drat.
EvHh0A7.png
Exactly. It’s all sturdy igneous rock intersected with pockets of unbreathable and sometimes volatile gases. It’s a death sentence to go there without preparation. We need vac suits, probably airlocks, pumps. In other words, an organized excavation job. What about you?
DK9YWrh.png
It’s all the same, except with less hydrogen and more traces of biocontamination I don’t want to get close to.
i4E3yzx.png
I think I’ve recognized traces of fungicide bacteria. I think Prokhor’s recon had fought some outbreak here.
EvHh0A7.png
Can it be that we’re somewhere in the vicinity of Chiron after all?
DK9YWrh.png
No. The gravitational force doesn’t fit. It’s either wrong or too small for all significant celestial objects or too large for asteroids.
i4E3yzx.png
The gravity can be altered.
DK9YWrh.png
Yes, but then I would’ve detected a regular gravitational fluctuations typical for gravtech.
i4E3yzx.png
What about atypical one?
DK9YWrh.png
Okkam’s Razor.
i4E3yzx.png
Touche.
EvHh0A7.png
It means that the only way we haven’t checked yet is down.
i4E3yzx.png
I don’t like an idea of going even deeper.
DK9YWrh.png
It’s still worth checking, though.
i4E3yzx.png
I know. But I would rather exchange it for some other option.

In the lower cave
i4E3yzx.png
Scanning. Found another void.
L31zRwM.png

DK9YWrh.png
Won’t you stop commenting on everything? I see the same thing you do on my linker.
i4E3yzx.png
Can’t stop speaking. Too much fun.
EvHh0A7.png

i4E3yzx.png
Clarifying the configuration.
0vdpAks.png

EvHh0A7.png
[whoosh]
i4E3yzx.png
Hey! It’s childish! Give that back!
EvHh0A7.png
You’re making too much of an interference. Wait a little, I’ll set the resonance right. Setting
DK9YWrh.png
Now he does it as well.
EvHh0A7.png
Setting.
WFLOP8B.png

EvHh0A7.png
Xenofauna! To arms!
DK9YWrh.png
I told you we don't have any! Evac to base?
EvHh0A7.png
Yes! I told you we’d need those airlocks!
i4E3yzx.png
I told you two to shut up!
DK9YWrh.png
EvHh0A7.png

i4E3yzx.png
Whatever the hell it is, it’s beyond a cave wall! What the fuck is wrong with you both?
EvHh0A7.png
DK9YWrh.png

EvHh0A7.png
Deirdre’s hybrids.
DK9YWrh.png
Planet cults.
EvHh0A7.png
They leave no survivors.
i4E3yzx.png
It’s not like we have a demon boil in there, don’t we?
DK9YWrh.png
EvHh0A7.png

i4E3yzx.png
Okay. It doesn’t look aggressive. And it looks caged in there. More importantly, I think we’ve found some traces of your recon, Prokhor.
Z9ONL0P.png

DK9YWrh.png
Drat. Right near that thing.
EvHh0A7.png
And right behind that dense rock formation. I’d need a week to dig through it with tools we have.
DK9YWrh.png
And we’re cornered from below as well. Look, another pocket of volatile gases.
EvHh0A7.png
Are we really surrounded?
DK9YWrh.png
It seems so.
i4E3yzx.png
All right. We need a break to think it through. Let’s get back to HQ and discuss it all in half an hour.

Half an hour later
i4E3yzx.png
Let’s sum up. Am I right to assume that we can’t get out of here?
DK9YWrh.png
The gate is off.
EvHh0A7.png
We’re surrounded by hostile terrain on all sides. Vent on the one side. Poison, deeply compressed soil or pockets of aggressive gases on the others. Digging through any of them without preparation might be fatal.
i4E3yzx.png
It means we’re staying. So we need to create some basic facilities to operate in here. Yang, open your linker to me, will you?
EvHh0A7.png
Yes.
i4E3yzx.png
Good. This’s a rough outline of the base we have now.
dRd0aGi.png

i4E3yzx.png
I've divided all the volume to typical Morganspace(TM) blocks, convenient, interchangeable and easily adaptable to your specific business environment.
DK9YWrh.png
EvHh0A7.png

i4E3yzx.png
Note the Cartesian with Psi gate in the block zero-zero. From this point we’ll move to a more civilized way of living.
i4E3yzx.png
Our first challenge is to create an entire life-support infrastructure, from top to bottom, out of whole cloth. Bioponic farm, recreation commons, network node and recycling facilities need to be connected to each other and launch almost simultaneously for us to survive, all the more, thrive.
i4E3yzx.png
I’ve also color coded areas according to a person responsible for them. Me in gold, Sheng in blue, Zakharov in green.
KxsUrXf.png

i4E3yzx.png
I’ve also noted an areas of possible development. First things first, we would need a power grid extension. Even a simple thermal power station would be great.
EvHh0A7.png
A luxury.
i4E3yzx.png
A necessity. More energy means more automation, and more automation means less handwork.
DK9YWrh.png
Or legwork.
i4E3yzx.png
Less work.
DK9YWrh.png
While I’m in favor of the power grid, I think an expansion of research facility is in order. We need more advanced tools to break through the difficult areas around us or make life simpler. For that I need power. Energy power, but, more importantly, a computational power. Luckily, I have some blueprints for a pet project of mine, a water-cooled optics-based processing unit I can assemble in a day.
i4E3yzx.png
You've said, energy power? Significantly more of it?
DK9YWrh.png
Slightly. We might need to stretch our legs a bit.
EvHh0A7.png
I say, we’ll need a stable source of oxygen, that’s for sure. We have some stock, it won’t last for long. Everything else can wait.
i4E3yzx.png
We can vaporize some fungus.
EvHh0A7.png
This way we’ll run through it very fast. No, we need a more long-term solution. A proper kelp farm down below.
i4E3yzx.png
All right. We have a set of conflicting priorities. I say we load our proposals into linkers and let our expert algos compute a material requirements for the projects and advise on them. We'll decide tomorrow morning.
EvHh0A7.png
Agreed.

DECISION TIEM
You, oh expert systems, use your miniaturized brains to assist your owners.
Project locations are in bold.
GmtsrFI.png

Oxygen and food don’t seem to be a pressing needs at the moment. With all the free O2 released from the surrounding caves, with roots and fungus breeds slowly growing in the pots, we can spend some time on development (even though some nutrient bars would probably disappear again). What should be the group’s priority?
1. Expand the network node! Install a better research bench. Then we’ll be able to outtech all competition. But Morgan (and maybe others) would need to be a wheelhamster for some time for this to work.
2. Energy bank! Research and install a coal generator. Less running, more labouring! But it might enrich our colony with some flowery scent from burned organics.
3. Kelp Farm (algae farm). The oxygen isn’t endless and when we’ll begin suffocating it’ll be too late to think about that. However, at this tech level it would require some maintenance legwork.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
1. Network Node, plenty of stuff that should be researched ASAP and can't be researched without a better lab. Best to rush to some things before the training wheels starting resources run out (algae for oxygen diffusers and the pitiful amounts of wild food that can be foraged).

Coal generator will choke you without a carbon skimmer. CO2 build-up is always a problem even without running a generator in your lebensraum. The heat it generates is another issue, but if you are smart it can be mitigated for long enough until a long term solution is available. Heat is the third biggest problem any colony has to deal with. Except with ice core asteroid starts, on those you really need to work hard to cook your crops dead and starve.

Algae Terrariums will eat into your water supply if you don't have a polluted water filter for recycling it back, and add too much busy work for dupes that would be better spent on grinding their mining skill or researching new gadgets. Better just go for oxygen diffusers and mine algae until you get an electrolyser fed by an electric pump in that snazzy geyser pool you found.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Hellraiser looks like he know what he's talking about, so I'd vote 1 to break the tie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom