Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For My Codexian Fans

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So it's not the actual abilities you miss, it's the interface?
Because choosing to highlight icons on a page is somehow more 'role-playingy', than actual role playing?

Coercion -- replaced by roleplaying.

Crafting herbs, poisons -- replaced by doing it in game. You still get to choose whether or not you pursue these things in game. Depends on the role your character wants to play.
It's beautiful. Pure poetry.

Black

Arcane
The Witcher 2 will be better than this Volly, c'mon man, you deserve better than da2 and bioware. Isn't it time to move on?

That's because every RPG element they've removed was horrible to begin with. I never figured out how to use the skills in DA:O, won't miss em now.
At least it's obvious bioware cares about their target audience B)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The Witcher 2 "

FFS You *really* do hate me? Why else would you torture me by suggesting I play such an obviously sozzy game TW2. FFS

Even if DA2 becomes BIO's worst game 9which it won't as long as KOTOR and S:RPG exist), it will still be a billion times better than the overrated, unoriginal rip off TW series.

Black

Arcane
I love you... in my own, special way.
And I'll hurt you only when you want me to.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Bioware: Oh god how do we implemented skills properly this shit is hard I thought we were an rpg company

Fans: Arragh can't figure out skills FFS they suck

Bioware: In DA 2 we're removing skills because skills are shit. Period.

Fans: R00fles!

Actually removing a skill like Coercion is/would be a great step towards more active roleplaying. Active as in the player has to decide to play the role of what ever kind of person he/she wants to come over as. Great opportunity for a lot of fun to be had, I would say.

As for the other skills, I would daresay that they were more flavor, and mostly ridiculous, a lot of the time.

Stealing, for example. A six foot warrior with massive armor (including gauntlets) and a claymore making a move on a 'unsuspecting' victim. Yeah, sure. Just try to get your cell out of your pocket with oven mittens on. ;)

Or Survival. Very practical to not just know that there are enemies and their number, but also their rank and class, through 50 feet of solid rock without a clear line of sight. ;)

Poison and Trap Making basically went into the Rogue talent section as far as I can see (Rogue Hawke got that Miasmic Bomb thingie from talents).

HA HA HA THEIR IMPLEMENTATION BEING SHIT MEANS THE VERY CONCEPT OF SKILLS IS SHIT

Peter

Arcane
They should remove all stats from RPGs. So unrealistic. I mean, we don't look at a sheet of our stats and skills and level up in real life, do we now?

DA2 - GOTYAY :thumbsup:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair it looks like the major retards are getting quite a bit of opposition from other forum members.

Jesus Christ lad, you couldnt figure out how to use Survival? It was passive!

:lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Why did Bioware un-ban him?"

Huh? I was banned for 2 seconds like 6 years ago. LMAO

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I'm still confused how the "Diplomacy" skill actually works...

Did I just decide to talk more often or read more books on diplomacy and if so, where did I find such books?

It is a pity you cannot hate someone sterile from the internet.

You can still craft by going to appropriate craftsmen. You find the sources of raw materials for crafting and it opens options for you.

And cooking is learning where farms are and going to a restaurant.

:hmmm:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is painfull to read the comments of those morons. And they try to explain that there are skills in the game, when obviously there are not. Wish I could bash there head with a brick.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Mistaking me for Gromnir perhaps? Visc and I were were banned for a bit because we had a back and froth 'argyument' in a 10 page thread. L0L

"I'm still confused how the "Diplomacy" skill actually works...

Did I just decide to talk more often or read more books on diplomacy and if so, where did I find such books?"

I think Codexians (or anyone who can think for that matter) will appreciate my response to his bullshitty nonsense:
The same way a diplomat learns how how to talk with people. The same way a police negotiator learns to deal with tough situations. The same way a lawyer learns how to spin words to help win her case. The same way a warrior becomes better at killing enemies.

With experience, study, and learning.

'Nough said.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
But, hey, at least no matter what, DA2 will be better than sozzy TW2!

Oh thank goodness a return to form at last. Three pages is far too long for volourn to be mildly agreeable. Period. :salute:

torpid

Liturgist
Has Volourn reached a breaking point? Is this the end for Bioware?

When you finally give up on them and leave their forums Volo, do it with lots of drama and theatrics: create a thread titled "I'm Leaving", say "this isn't the Bioware I knew I loved"; "I'm not leaving Bioware -- they left me"; "ever since Chris Priestly took Gaider's flab, things haven't been the same".

I do love Bio's "if it's broke, don't fix it, cut it" philosophy.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's because every RPG element they've removed was horrible to begin with. I never figured out how to use the skills in DA:O, won't miss em now.

These people are... dreadful.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
Mistaking me for Gromnir perhaps? Visc and I were were banned for a bit because we had a back and froth 'argyument' in a 10 page thread. L0L

"I'm still confused how the "Diplomacy" skill actually works...

Did I just decide to talk more often or read more books on diplomacy and if so, where did I find such books?"

I think Codexians (or anyone who can think for that matter) will appreciate my response to his bullshitty nonsense:
The same way a diplomat learns how how to talk with people. The same way a police negotiator learns to deal with tough situations. The same way a lawyer learns how to spin words to help win her case. The same way a warrior becomes better at killing enemies.

With experience, study, and learning.

'Nough said.
You pretty much nailed it with this one. Agreed 100%.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
"The Witcher 2 "

FFS You *really* do hate me? Why else would you torture me by suggesting I play such an obviously sozzy game TW2. FFS

Even if DA2 becomes BIO's worst game 9which it won't as long as KOTOR and S:RPG exist), it will still be a billion times better than the overrated, unoriginal rip off TW series.

You fucking cunt.

J_J_M

Educated
Wow. That is some masterful damage control. I think they should consider a career in politics.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"When you finally give up on them and leave their forums Volo, do it with lots of drama and theatrics: create a thread titled "I'm Leaving", say "this isn't the Bioware I knew I loved"; "I'm not leaving Bioware -- they left me"; "ever since Chris Priestly took Gaider's flab, things haven't been the same".

I do love Bio's "if it's broke, don't fix it, cut it" philosophy."

That was my first post/thread there in a long while. I haven't posted a lot since the hey day of NWN.

I have no reason to stop playing BIo games because their games will likely still be fun faults and all. It's also why I had fun with BL despite its shitty combat, and Arcanum despite its lack of memorable characters as well.

No game is perfect. *shrug*

"By Jove, there *is* more to you than simply trolling! "

Except I don't troll. Having unpopular opinions does not equal trolling. I've only trolled once on the Codex and it had nothing to do with rpgs in the 'feedback' section.

DFumbass.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Volourn said:
Except I don't troll. Having unpopular opinions does not equal trolling. I've only trolled once on the Codex and it had nothing to do with rpgs in the 'feedback' section.

But of course you do troll. If making posts like "bulshitz" without delving into any reasoning that might support such statements is not trolling, than I've no idea what might be :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom