Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Free Adventure RPG Heroine's Quest Released

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
skill increases will probably mean ducking is more timely.

*insert duckface joke for maximum annoyance about modern jokes*

Dyspaire

Cipher
(there's something magical about playing Icewind Dale in the winter with a nice cosy fire in teh
fireplace and a glass of red wine)

Every year. Preferably with plenty of snow falling in the night.

It's what I happened to be doing at the moment.

V_K

Arcane
I played with a sorceress and the only way to beat someone is to click like a madman at the magic dart spell. I wasn't able to duck or avoid a hit in time.
Wut?? At default speed it's practically turn-based, you have a ton of time after the enemy's attack cue to pick a defence move. Maybe you're just choosing the wrong ones?

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
-Horrible combat. I played with a sorceress and the only way to beat someone is to click like a madman at the magic dart spell. I wasn't able to duck or avoid a hit in time.

Samsam, I suggest playing the game at a slower speed. The default setting is usually good; if you ramp up the speed, you'll need to have very good reflexes :)

As V_K noted, there are attack cues to give you an indication of which way to dodge.

We haven't actually tried to get the game on Steam at this point, but it would be nice if we could so that more people can hear about it.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awesome, for all the sales and stuff going on these days, this game is the most interesting one by far (to me, at least). Congrats on finishing it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fuck.

My food got stolen in the night. Now I can't go back to sleep because I am too hungry, I can't leave the town because its barred, and I can't seem to find the thief either.

haraw

Educated
Fuck.

My food got stolen in the night. Now I can't go back to sleep because I am too hungry, I can't leave the town because its barred, and I can't seem to find the thief either.
Use the wait-command (z) until morning comes. Then the innkeeper feeds you freely.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I started as a Warrior but decided to splash Thievery because I thought it would give me more loot opportunities, but I can't even get into locked doors/buildings and stuff in the town. Is this supposed to be intentional or am I missing something on the usage of that skill?

Kind of wish I picked Fast Talk instead for shop discounts, because I really need to buy a scarf to stop ************** frostbite.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is there any way to get new skills after character creation? If so, then what's the advantage of the sorceress who only receives two skills, when one can put points in spellcasting as a rogue?

V_K

Arcane
Is there any way to get new skills after character creation? If so, then what's the advantage of the sorceress who only receives two skills, when one can put points in spellcasting as a rogue?
I think some encounters play differently depending on your class and not skill selection (at least the final battle definitely does), thus a rogue may have a harder time getting spells.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Game crashes when my rogue tries to leap across into the tower window of the first town

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Kind of wish I picked Fast Talk instead for shop discounts, because I really need to buy a scarf to stop ************** frostbite.
kill a varg and butcher it for his hide then use a blade on that while in the adventurer's guild.
only true mages can learn some of the spells, like blessing. only wars and thieves can buy daggers, only war can buy the other weapons.
plus every character gets its own sidequest. mages get to do the stupid spellmaze bullshit from aaa...whatever his name was that was his name.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Welcome to Midgard, the realm of dirty snitches.

THE DOG'S BARKING ALARMS THE GUARDS!

THE CAT'S MEOWING ALARMS THE GUARDS!

THE DUDEGUY CALLS FOR HELP!

YOU BREAK INTO DUDEGUY'S HOUSE, BUT HE WAS EXPECTING YOU!

CRRREEEEAAAAAAAAK!

:x

TigerKnee

Arcane
kill a varg and butcher it for his hide then use a blade on that while in the adventurer's guild.
Damnit, I tried using a sword on it elsewhere and it didn't work, so I was carrying like 9 of those around trying to find someone who would take them.

V_K

Arcane
Overall impressions after finishing the game with a Sorceress class:

Positive:
-Great atmosphere that even the occasional "meta" jokes don't break (in fact, in Svartalfheim they even strengthen it since it's a decidedly weird place).
-Good balance of serious and humorous in story and writing.
-Actual Norse lore is a ton more exciting than quasi-viking stuff we've seen in some recent games.
-Intelligent puzzles of just the right (for me at least ;)) difficulty and alternative solutions.
-Decent combat for a hybrid - not too twitchy and not too boring. Also, mostly avoidable.
-Some reactivity and C&Cs - nothing that radically alters the main story (at least I think so, didn't check thouroughly), but quite a few alternative paths and possibilities to screw up are pretty much present.
-Survival and scavenging adds a whole new gameplay level, making the game more RPG-ish.

Neutral:
-Uneven voice acting - some great, some ok, some wooden-ish.
-Initially I was somewhat disappointed by the very low-key spell selection. This is almost completely mitigated by the fact that they are all used in pretty creative ways, but I still wouldn't mind to have some more exciting stuff to cast (like shapeshifting, spirit summoning etc). It's strange, because Adventure/RPG hybrids seem a perfect genre to go all out with magic, but in practice it's never the case.

Negative:
-There are some unavoidable fights towards the end, for which you may be ill-prepared if you play a mostly non-combat character. There are ways to somewhat counter it, though.
-Currently there are some balance issues, that can make survival parts largely irrelevant: Endurance goes up too fast and there's too much free food for it to be a concern.
-Getting potion ingridients is a pain in the ass, the puzzles involved are generally harder than those in the main quest. Combined with the previous point it resulted in that I actually didn't brew a single potion throughout the game.

All in all - the best RPG experince I've had since Dark Disciples 2.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Damnit, I tried using a sword on it elsewhere and it didn't work, so I was carrying like 9 of those around trying to find someone who would take them.
not sure if any blade will work or it has to be a dagger.. but when you try it it should say something along the lines that it will take a long time and you best do it inside.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Negative:
-There are some unavoidable fights towards the end, for which you may be ill-prepared if you play a mostly non-combat character. There are ways to somewhat counter it, though.

How is that a negative?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom